The 2019 Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Ram1019
ARD

Re: The 2019 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by Ram1019 »

I work with a vendor that lives in Buffalo and has season tickets. He told me the other day that Nate Oats would never leave because his wife likes it there. I told him, based on personal experience, that theory is invalid.
9 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

Ram1019 wrote: 5 years ago I work with a vendor that lives in Buffalo and has season tickets. He told me the other day that Nate Oats would never leave because his wife likes it there. I told him, based on personal experience, that theory is invalid.
we even had a more compelling case (IMHO) with beaches, etc. The lake effect snow would drive me insane. I have friends out in Erie and Cleveland and that type of snow is a whole other animal compared to the Northeast
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

His wife might not like life in Alabama, but she will like the money lol.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago Good for Nate, I guess. Secure the bag and all that. But yuck, in general I don’t think much of Alabama as a basketball program. Plus it has the misfortune of being in Alabama. For whatever reason, I think it makes it less likely that they don’t play the game in Kingston next year which would be kind of cool, I guess.
Fair enough, but it's not like Buffalo had any basketball tradition before Hurley and Oates and the University of Buffalo has the misfortune of being in Buffalo, so...
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

PeterRamTime wrote: 5 years ago Why not stay at buffalo and be the guy that made buffalo great?

Take the money and play second fiddle to Nick Saban and football.
You've never been to Buffalo, have you?
3 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I still just don't get this hire. Lange was 93-113 at Navy having never even won a Patriot League Tournament game (0-7) during his tenure.
Last edited by RF1 5 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago
Great move for them, he's going to be a good one
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 5 years ago Why not stay at buffalo and be the guy that made buffalo great?

Take the money and play second fiddle to Nick Saban and football.
You've never been to Buffalo, have you?
More of what sometimes goes into decision making for the entire family. Timing can be everything.

https://www.foxsports.com/college-baske ... nes-031616
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... fe-crystal
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago Good for Nate, I guess. Secure the bag and all that. But yuck, in general I don’t think much of Alabama as a basketball program. Plus it has the misfortune of being in Alabama. For whatever reason, I think it makes it less likely that they don’t play the game in Kingston next year which would be kind of cool, I guess.
Fair enough, but it's not like Buffalo had any basketball tradition before Hurley and Oates and the University of Buffalo has the misfortune of being in Buffalo, so...
Right but he didn’t have a lot of other options when he got to Buffalo. Beggars can’t be choosers. But he’d put himself in position to be a strong candidate for much much better jobs than Alabama, in my opinion. Although I’m probably a bit biased against that job because of personal views and opinions that he may not share. But objectively, that is not a traditional basketball power (not saying they haven’t had some success).
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

If URI hired the coach St. Joes did, I would be PISSSED. I get firing martilli, want your own person, 3 losing seasons in a row, ect.. but to hire a guy who had 2 winning seasons in 7 at Navy to replace said individual with more winning seasons than losing including 1 deep tourney run... The marketing on hawk hill better be pretty spectacular next year.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Philly schools love to hire Philly guys as we see with the Temple and SJU hire. They don't like outsiders.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

urirx wrote: 5 years ago If URI hired the coach St. Joes did, I would be PISSSED. I get firing martilli, want your own person, 3 losing seasons in a row, ect.. but to hire a guy who had 2 winning seasons in 7 at Navy to replace said individual with more winning seasons than losing including 1 deep tourney run... The marketing on hawk hill better be pretty spectacular next year.
Pretty sad story

https://www.phillyvoice.com/fired-st-jo ... awks-a-10/

And this one.......

http://www.myrecordjournal.com/Sports/M ... iring.html
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

urirx wrote: 5 years ago If URI hired the coach St. Joes did, I would be PISSSED. I get firing martilli, want your own person, 3 losing seasons in a row, ect.. but to hire a guy who had 2 winning seasons in 7 at Navy to replace said individual with more winning seasons than losing including 1 deep tourney run... The marketing on hawk hill better be pretty spectacular next year.
Agreed. When I read the things this President and new AD say I’m so thankful that we have Dooley and Thor. Sad situation there.

https://6abc.com/sports/st-joes-names-7 ... h/5222590/
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago
Pretty sad story

https://www.phillyvoice.com/fired-st-jo ... awks-a-10/

And this one.......

http://www.myrecordjournal.com/Sports/M ... iring.html

Yes. Martelli is pretty sad these days. There must not be many media members left he has not yet told his story of perceived mistreatment.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I don't know, two winning seasons in seven is a lot different for a service academy than it is for an A10 school. And since then he's been an associate head coach at Villanova and been an assistant in the NBA
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Pretty weak hire in my opinion
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Wonder if Cox will consider Geoff Arnold.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Iggy1979 wrote: 5 years ago Wonder if Cox will consider Geoff Arnold.
He’d be a good hire. The family is pretty tied to the Philadelphia area, but you never know, I guess.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Terrible hire by St Joes . Enjoy the cellar in the A 10 baby !!
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Some where saying that Jameer Nelson was also interviewed. I have no knowledge of Nelson's coaching credentials, but he couldn't be too much worse of a hire than Lange.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Nelson has no coaching credentials.

A lot of Joe's fans aren't very happy about the hire.

The new admin there doesn't seem like they know what they're doing.

It looks like the Hawks will enjoy bottom feeder status for a while.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago Nelson has no coaching credentials.

Hey, they may or may not know what they're doing, but that AD lady is definitely in charge. So...they got that going for them. :roll:
2 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago Nelson has no coaching credentials.

couldn't happen to a better group...
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Lange to me is a pretty uninspiring choice. You would have thought they would have to make a big splash after firing Martelli. This is however not a big splash.

Lange does seem to be very well connected to Philly. I guess this is seen as a selling point for him given the apparently very insular nature of that city. His father, mother, and brother are all St Joe's alumni. He worked at other Philadelphia schools such as Philadelphia Textile, Lasalle, and Villanova and is connected to local coaches such as Herb McGee, John Giannini, Speedy Morris, and Jay Wright. Is currently an assistant with the Philadelphia 76'ers.

His experience as head coach at Navy for seven years compiling a 93-113 record and a 0-7 mark in Patriot League Tournament play would certainly not seem to merit this job. I can only assume by all I have read is that his Philadelphia roots and connections were his main attributes.

The St Joe's board has a lot of differing opinions on this hire. Many wanted Jameer Nelson even though he has zero coaching experience. Others are accusing St Joe's of going the safe route as is always their norm (some would say hiring the white Italian-American Martelli was a real risk and barrier breaker for them). One poster is accusing the school of being racist and bringing up the fact that an urban school with basketball a big part of its identity has never had a African-American coach.

St Joe's Hawks Fan Forum Link:
https://247sports.com/college/saint-jos ... um-105444/
Last edited by RF1 5 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

This was always going to be a "Philly guy" hire - so that limits the pool right off the bat.

From Philly people I know he is very well respected as a basketball mind, son of a coach, and has served time with Villanova twice under Jay Wright and the 76ers, both of which are the pinnacle of Philly basketball. He was brought to the 76ers specifically to focus on talent development and culture, which are 2 areas the AD identified as areas of improvement. I wouldn't put a huge amount of stock in his W/L record at Navy. No one has ever won there, and he had a few decent seasons in his run.
2 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Obviously an anomaly but you do have the Admiral for Navy. There was winning.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Billy lange played basketball for my old high school in South Jersey where his father was the coach for a few years . I am stunned that they would choose
him over Martelli whom I can't stand, but still respect him as a great coach . I don't know how they think they will get any talent to come to St. Joes
with Martelli gone. he was their only selling point they had. The facilities suck, the school campus sucks . They were fortunate to have Martelli
keep them in the mix under the circumstances . I will not be surprised to find the Hawks wallowing in the mud with Fordham for the forseeable
future . This will not be good for the Atlantic 10.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago This was always going to be a "Philly guy" hire - so that limits the pool right off the bat.

From Philly people I know he is very well respected as a basketball mind, son of a coach, and has served time with Villanova twice under Jay Wright and the 76ers, both of which are the pinnacle of Philly basketball. He was brought to the 76ers specifically to focus on talent development and culture, which are 2 areas the AD identified as areas of improvement. I wouldn't put a huge amount of stock in his W/L record at Navy. No one has ever won there, and he had a few decent seasons in his run.
I was available. This oversight will not stand!

I agree with the rest completely- his former college head coaching experience has little to do with the hiring. It’s all about the Philly connections, and I think he can recruit ok there. It’s a pretty standard hire, but I certainly don’t see it as negatively as some here do.

St. Joe’s is in a weird spot. It’s not urban like Temple, Drexel, La Salle, or Penn. Half of the campus isn’t even in Philadelphia county (but the official address is so double wage tax if you work there and live in Philly, as I found out). It does have a very strong group of alums, and my friends who attended could not be more devoted to it. Some of them are angry about the firing but still very supportive of the basketball program.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Seems like an ok hire for Cal

Fox had success at Reno then struggled at Georgia
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Zags with the bold claim...

And later this-

0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

This domino can affect Bryant......Willard to VT.....Cluess to Seton Hall.....Grasso to Iona...
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

With bonuses Buzz made $3.3 million this year.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

ace wrote: 5 years ago Zags with the bold claim...

And later this-

In news that could potentially affect URI, Zags' article mentions LSU interim coach Tony Bedford joining Buzz at A&M. Meaning that if LSU gets rid of Will Wade, they will likely not be promoting from within - which (depending on who they hire) could lead to player defections.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

If Tremont Waters wants to defect back closer to home, maybe in like RI or something, I'd be cool with that.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

adam914 wrote: 5 years ago If Tremont Waters wants to defect back closer to home, maybe in like RI or something, I'd be cool with that.
Or Wabissa Bede.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow Buzz to A& M and Hoiberg to Nebraska both great hires
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Matt Abdelmassih is then slated to leave St John's to become assistant to Hoiberg...a big blow to the Johnies
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Shaolin Swat
ARD

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2641 ... -life-deal

Interestingly, UCLA and John Calipari were/are in contact about their open position - with UCLA offering a 6 year/$48M contract (which caused Kentucky to offer Calipari a "lifetime contract").
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

LOL. April fools, or no?
0 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

If this is an April Fools, then I can't trust anything that I read anywhere on the internet anymore. I think it's legit though, was reported a couple of different places.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Who the hell ever heard of a legitimate lifetime contract.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If Calipari wants to go to UCLA, he will go, irregardless of any other offer.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Martelli is still kind of whinning on Twitter. He has been outward that he wants to coach again as soon as possible. Interesting with all the openings and the trickle down to fill the second level (of the coaches leaving to take the P5 jobs) that Martelli hasn’t been contacted by anyone.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Martelli is still kind of whinning on Twitter. He has been outward that he wants to coach again as soon as possible. Interesting with all the openings and the trickle down to fill the second level (of the coaches leaving to take the P5 jobs) that Martelli hasn’t been contacted by anyone.
Maybe he can take the Calhoun approach and go DIII?
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Stack!
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Martelli is still kind of whinning on Twitter. He has been outward that he wants to coach again as soon as possible. Interesting with all the openings and the trickle down to fill the second level (of the coaches leaving to take the P5 jobs) that Martelli hasn’t been contacted by anyone.
Some low major could probably get a value deal with Martelli right now, and punch above their weight. Similar to when we lured Jim Harrick 2 years removed from a NC, bc he had an ax to grind and was desperate to get back in the game. Phil is in same head space.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Has Fairfield hired anyone yet....Martelli might be a fit....
0 x