The Transfer Carousel - 2019

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Re: The Transfer Carousel - 2019

Unread post by theblueram »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Sheppard Fr year game stats. Percentages lower than his JUCO #s this year.
https://static.ecupirates.com/custompag ... lyr_01.htm
did we sign someone?
0 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

Looks to be a solid pick-up if they close the deal. As a freshman scored double digits against Virginia, SMU, Houston, and Cincinnati among others. His 3pt % that year woulda been second on our team this year and actually matched EC's the same year. Certainly not a bad player, hopefully the off-court issues can be eliminated.
0 x
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

Exactly what we need to take it to the next level, need this commitment
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Are we still talking about the guy that got suspended and subsequently booted? This is the guy we need?
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Both Iverson and Robinson came from situations where they were pushed out. Kids with generic suspensions in their backgrounds aren't really red flags for me. Would have to be details offered and then something bad like those pc guys that beat up ppl or the other pc guy that went to oregon.
5 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

This is someone else, 208.

If he behaves we could have a good one here.
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Cox has a great record of recruiting good character guys both as head and assistant. If he’s comfortable with him, I am, too.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Didn't walker get bounced from Georgetown.. I am all for 2nd chances.. kuran certainly worked out.. let's hope if they get this kid issues are behind him.. don't want a lot of other people's problems regardless if talent if there are still issues. Hopefully staff has done their due diligence.. watching some of these teams give the Giants all they can handle makes me wonder why not us...
0 x
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

- very random final 4
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I would say looking at that final four it's between us and SMU.

Those who say he's coming here....is that a tad premature, since he hasn't visited yet but will soon?
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

What are those first two schools? North Carolina Central?
0 x
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

eastern michigan and north carolina central university
1 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Yes this is who he was talking about - it’s between SMU and URI with URI the big edge.
0 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

I exchanged some messages with Mat (VCU insider @MatSheltonEide on Twitter) prior to this announcement and he nailed the final four. He says it’s about 75% URI with SMU in the running if he wants to give a big “fuck you” and play ECU twice in conference play. If VCU had an open scholarship he feels they’d offer and he’d commit there as his dream school in hometown. Having Richmond and VCU on our schedule is a bonus in the recruitment.

He speaks very very very highly of this guys ability to hoop. Exactly what we need.

Give Mat a follow. He knows his hoops.
4 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

Section104 wrote: 5 years ago I exchanged some messages with Mat (VCU insider @MatSheltonEide on Twitter) prior to this announcement and he nailed the final four. He says it’s about 75% URI with SMU in the running if he wants to give a big “fuck you” and play ECU twice in conference play. If VCU had an open scholarship he feels they’d offer and he’d commit there as his dream school in hometown. Having Richmond and VCU on our schedule is a bonus in the recruitment.

He speaks very very very highly of this guys ability to hoop. Exactly what we need.

104, not sure if it was asked earlier or answered, but when is Sheppard coming for his visit?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I had heard either this coming weekend or next, with a decision right after that, hopefully.
0 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

wpbrown8267 wrote: 5 years ago
Section104 wrote: 5 years ago I exchanged some messages with Mat (VCU insider @MatSheltonEide on Twitter) prior to this announcement and he nailed the final four. He says it’s about 75% URI with SMU in the running if he wants to give a big “fuck you” and play ECU twice in conference play. If VCU had an open scholarship he feels they’d offer and he’d commit there as his dream school in hometown. Having Richmond and VCU on our schedule is a bonus in the recruitment.

104, not sure if it was asked earlier or answered, but when is Sheppard coming for his visit?
Rambone or DC Rams would know better than i would - i hear things will move quickly
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 and Dre3000 are usually in the loop on these things more than I am. Along with DC also.

I still have some connections, but not what it used to be.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Has he visited SMU yet?
I think it would be kind of odd to visit during the Final Four weekend but let's see what happens.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Cmon Sheppard!
0 x
GO RAMS
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

If hes the real deal then

YES

BRING HIM IN

I wanna dance next year!!!!!
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

This is fantastic news !!!
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Visit this weekend. Will likely commit. Good sign to get first visit. JUCO kids don’t wait long to pull trigger. Needs to enroll and get acclimated quickly.
7 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

His shooting numbers his freshman year are terrible and this past year are great. I wonder what the big change was?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago His shooting numbers his freshman year are terrible and this past year are great. I wonder what the big change was?
Level of competition, year older and developed would be my two guesses.
1 x
Go Rhody
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago His shooting numbers his freshman year are terrible and this past year are great. I wonder what the big change was?
And if he comes here, can he teach others the secret?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

Yeah Mat is also the guy who said Cox called the VCU players pussies after the Evans injury...
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhody15 wrote: 5 years ago
Level of competition, year older and developed would be my two guesses.
Actually, 2 years older.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The guard version of Obi Toppin.

Good for us.
0 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

BleedBlue87 wrote: 5 years ago

Yeah Mat is also the guy who said Cox called the VCU players pussies after the Evans injury...
Not that it's worth arguing over, but he stands by that. He made it a point to bring it up since no one believes him.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Sheppard Fr year game stats. Percentages lower than his JUCO #s this year.
https://static.ecupirates.com/custompag ... lyr_01.htm
One thing about this that’s interesting to me, is that during November of his freshman year, he averaged 13.4 minutes and 5.2 points in five games. From December on, he averaged 29.2 minutes and 10.0 points per game. He was put into the starting lineup for good in February, and averaged 33 minutes and 10.8 points. As you’d expect, took him a little while to ramp up while getting acclimated to the college game, but once he did he was very effective.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

This will be an interesting integration if he elects to come here, Jeff and Fatts are both ball reliant combo PGs. This kid seems like that too, albeit his 3FG% is better (at least it was as a Juco). It’s not like he is a catch-shoot guy who can come in and easily slot in as someone who plays off the ball. Good problem to have but Cox will certainly have a job to do in getting all 3 to gel. Maybe this kid slots in as instant offense off the bench a la Fatts his FR year. Then takes the reins when Jeff graduates. That I could see if this kid will buy in to that role. We all wanted CT to play that role but unfort he is not the offensive threat we hoped for.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Wait...whaaat? Did Cox really do that?
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

The reason I posted his game-by-game stats was so you could see the end of the year. He shot 34% from three. I wouldn’t call that terrible. Also 58% of his shots for the year were from three.

With 80 minutes for two G positions there is enough minutes for the three of them. If Jeff played 30 minutes Fatts and Sheppard could play 25 mins each plus any time they went with a 3G small lineup.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Teams that lack NBA talent as most teams do, need depth to make NCAA runs. If he joins the Rams, along with the other recruits/transfer, Rhody will have that depth.
0 x
GO RAMS
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 years ago

Absolutely, unequivocally not.....
3 x
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago This will be an interesting integration if he elects to come here, Jeff and Fatts are both ball reliant combo PGs. This kid seems like that too, albeit his 3FG% is better (at least it was as a Juco). It’s not like he is a catch-shoot guy who can come in and easily slot in as someone who plays off the ball. Good problem to have but Cox will certainly have a job to do in getting all 3 to gel. Maybe this kid slots in as instant offense off the bench a la Fatts his FR year. Then takes the reins when Jeff graduates. That I could see if this kid will buy in to that role. We all wanted CT to play that role but unfort he is not the offensive threat we hoped for.
Very good point, I share the same concerns. Neither Dowtin or Russell excelled at playing off the ball this year. With three of them being more PG centric, it will be interesting to see how Cox manages the situation. Ideally convincing Sheppard to play off the ball, Dowtin primary PG and Fatt's a hybrid would seem to make sense.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Bottom line, we need depth. We can’t afford to play Fatts 38 minutes and he shoot 18%. We need the next man up to come and dump water in the well. I don’t think Cox likes the idea of playing 3 guys 35+ minutes. Those results were evident when we finally ran out of gas against the Bonnies.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

We can’t afford to play Fatts 2 minutes and hit 18%
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago Bottom line, we need depth. We can’t afford to play Fatts 38 minutes and he shoot 18%. We need the next man up to come and dump water in the well. I don’t think Cox likes the idea of playing 3 guys 35+ minutes. Those results were evident when we finally ran out of gas against the Bonnies.
Agree, if you look back at 2016-17 minutes and 2017-18 minutes you will find:
2016-17 Terrell led in minutes at 30.7 per game. EC had 29.3. No one else over 26 minutes
2017-18. Terrell & Jeff played 33 minutes. EC had 28.7 & Stan had 27.7. Other four rotation player had 20 or less.

2018-19 Jeff 36.6, Fatts 34.1 and Cyril 32.5.

I think ideally next year Cox would like his top two players (Jeff & Cyril) at 32 minutes and then six other contributors at 18-26 minutes.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago

That would be so uncharacteristic of Cox. He’s a true gentleman.
3 x
Slava Ukraini!
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

Rhody74 wrote: 5 years ago

What's funny is he isn't the one who heard it. It was supposedly his buddy and he decided to run with it and tweet it out to get VCU fans riled up.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Sheppard would be like adding another Fatts it seems like.

While we would want another wing, we do have that in Hammond coming in and Sheppard would fill a lot of the void left my Jeff after he leaves.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

What's funny is he isn't the one who heard it. It was supposedly his buddy and he decided to run with it and tweet it out to get VCU fans riled up.

It's like the kindergarten game telephone.
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I'm sure we all agree CT doesn't play 26 minutes a game next year, so there's minutes available there for someone.
As with Sheppard, if he gets Silverio's 8, 6 from Fatts and 4 from Jeff, he's already up to 18 minutes.
This year was a transition year with Fatts learning how to play PG and Jeff moving off the ball. I don't see Cox going back to Jeff at PG. They should both be better next year at their new positions.
2 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

So...am I the only one that wouldn't be that bummed if it were true?
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

It's less about the minutes distribution for me, as I agree there will be minutes to be had (Omar's, less minutes from Fatts/CT). It's moreso blending their 3 styles of play, all of which are very similar in that they are ball reliant. But perhaps all 3 wont be on the court at same time all that often and this is less of an issue. I do really like this pick up for the year after this one when Jeff leaves and we will be in desperate need of established ball handlers and scorers.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago It's less about the minutes distribution for me, as I agree there will be minutes to be had (Omar's, less minutes from Fatts/CT). It's moreso blending their 3 styles of play, all of which are very similar in that they are ball reliant. But perhaps all 3 wont be on the court at same time all that often and this is less of an issue. I do really like this pick up for the year after this one when Jeff leaves and we will be in desperate need of established ball handlers and scorers.
BAR: You make a great point but it's hard to fill a need perfectly. Sheppard would fill the need for outside shooting and a guard who can break down his defender. I'll take it, and the staff can work everything out later.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

A-10 relevant, but I would imagine this guy is going to drop to a lower level conference.

0 x