2018 - 2019 Women's Basketball Season

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2018 - 2019 Women's Basketball Season

Unread post by RF1 »

Has anyone ever officially confirmed if this was the end of her contract or whether she did in fact get extended another year at some point? If there was no extension, the original five year contract was up this spring and there would be no payout for time beyond then.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Geno was 31 when he was hired by UConn, was an assistant at St. Joe's for a season and was an assistant at Virginia for four years. I would argue becoming a power in women's basketball in the mid 80's was an easier thing than trying to do that now though
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago Has anyone ever officially confirmed if this was the end of her contract or whether she did in fact get extended another year at some point? If there was no extension, the original five year contract was up this spring and there would be no payout for time beyond then.
The press release says she was dismissed and her contract was terminated, which certainly makes it sound like the option was picked up after her first season and her contract wasn't expired
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
SorrynotSorry
Abdul Fox

Unread post by SorrynotSorry »

She was fired breach of contract should have been done 2 years ago a lot of unaddressed problems and violations URI had more than sufficient evidence to terminate no buy out
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

She was definitely fired
It had to happen. Had to.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago
RF1 wrote: 5 years ago Has anyone ever officially confirmed if this was the end of her contract or whether she did in fact get extended another year at some point? If there was no extension, the original five year contract was up this spring and there would be no payout for time beyond then.
The press release says she was dismissed and her contract was terminated, which certainly makes it sound like the option was picked up after her first season and her contract wasn't expired

Technically you could still say she was dismissed if she was fired a few weeks before the contract was up.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago

Technically you could still say she was dismissed if she was fired a few weeks before the contract was up.
But that is not true. That was not the case. She was fired. If you don’t want to believe that it’s up to you

Could not have continued with the situation
And it was overdue as other posters close to the program have indicated.

But now it’s time to move forward. Thankfully.
0 x
uriwdesbeter
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by uriwdesbeter »

SorrynotSorry wrote: 5 years ago She was fired breach of contract should have been done 2 years ago a lot of unaddressed problems and violations URI had more than sufficient evidence to terminate no buy out
the fact she WASN"T fired 2 years ago doesn't give me hope the AD really cares about this program. Who cares about the athletes who have to put up through all the crap that has happened?
0 x
uriwdesbeter
Frenchy Tomlin

SorrynotSorry wrote: 5 years ago And the transfer requests have begun!!! Better start recruiting now as it stands not enuf for a team !! Maybe now admin will do something lots of talent lost sad day for URIWBB
Should also look at the revolving door around the assistant coaches. nobody can stand it here.
0 x
uriwdesbeter
Frenchy Tomlin

Bluebird wrote: 5 years ago The time is now! The women’s program needs a new coach. Too many incidents have been covered up, too much talent to have an awful record and players are leaving. Wake up Athletic department before it is too late.
It's hard to believe the AD cares about the WBB program at all. The last coach was awful, but stayed through her contract. This coach should have been fired for gross misconduct 2 years ago, but everything was swept under the rug. And to think this doesn't put it's toll on the women athletes who are trying their best.
0 x
uriwdesbeter
Frenchy Tomlin

SorrynotSorry wrote: 5 years ago It is my understanding that the girls sign each year at the end of season so as it stands at the end of June they are all free unless they sign when the providence womans coach came in he cleaned house dismissed 3-4 players but were given release without having to sit a year Julia Thissel a strong URI recruit who chose providence was dismissed and found nowhere to go ended up at St A’s d-2 considering what has gone on in this program I hope the new coach keeps some of these girls
It's not so easy. By the end of June, there are very few, if any, open spots on any team, at any level. So waiting until June is not an option...even April or May is late to be looking for a new athletic program. I hope the women athletes on this team are renewed, and are given a chance under a good coach. They put up with the awful coaching and horrible environment she created, and know it first hand, moreso than anyone on this post. Several of these women are red-shirts, so they don't have the option of transferring again. Everyone on this team deserves to be here, they just need a coach who will coach them as a team, and coach them to win.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

uriwdesbeter wrote: 5 years ago
Bluebird wrote: 5 years ago The time is now! The women’s program needs a new coach. Too many incidents have been covered up, too much talent to have an awful record and players are leaving. Wake up Athletic department before it is too late.
It's hard to believe the AD cares about the WBB program at all. The last coach was awful, but stayed through her contract. This coach should have been fired for gross misconduct 2 years ago, but everything was swept under the rug. And to think this doesn't put it's toll on the women athletes who are trying their best.

I am 100% fine with this new wave of posters only here to talk about the women’s hoops team. Glad people (presumably) close to the program are connecting and finding a way to have a discussion about the team that will hopefully bring more attention to it from the part of the URI community that has been posting here for years. Usually we go thru an entire season, multiple seasons even, with only a handful of posts about the women’s team coming from the same 3 or 4 posters.

Having said that, though, I do have an issue with posters who are so new to this forum that I still have to approve each of their posts, about whom I have no idea who they are or where/how they get their info, or whether what they are saying has any basis in truth or fact or is just slanderous muddying of a coach on her way out the door. If people want to say she participated in gross misconduct, say what the misconduct was. If we are going to call the woman a witch, say she deserved “much worse” than losing her job, say that she did real damage to the young women that played for her AND the university, even that she committed violations...you need to back it up with some substantiation or at least an attempt at an explanation for why you feel as strongly about it as you do.

No more shots at the former coach without an explanation or the posts are coming down and you guys (or girls) can find somewhere else to go to kick around the former coach.

(Understand that I’m not coming to the coach’s defense here on a personal level - I’ve never met her and don’t know hardly anything about the women’s program. Maybe she deserves the harsh rebuke she’s gotten here. But without some kind of support for that opinion, I find it in poor taste. I also don’t know any of you new posters that showed up here seemingly only to dump on the former coach. Which, again, maybe she deserves but nobody has given any examples or explanations as to why she does deserve it.)
7 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
All In
Michael Andersen

Unread post by All In »

True Point, anybody with any credibility or brains is not going to post specifics whether they have inside knowledge or not. And for you to encourage it is irresponsible. I hope no one posting here wants to out the personal travails of young adults as it relates to the now dismissed Coach. If you can’t fill in the blanks then I question whether you are the right individual to moderate this board. Obviously the situation with this coach reached a breaking point. She wasn’t DISMISSED because her cupcakes were bad. Anybody following URI women’s hoops even from a distance was disturbed by the last 5 years. If you want salaciousness go get a job with the Prov journal and do your own investigation. I’m sure you will be totally blown away by what you learn.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

All In, URI just doesn't fire coaches with multiple years left on their contract, unless...….

Such misconduct must be valid enough to terminate AND not have to pay the remaining years on the contract.

It's about the money. Maybe things really were bad....but not bad enough?

I doubt there are any boosters here who are going to pay the tab for her to leave either.

That happens with the men's program. The women's program here doesn't move the needle enough for them to care.
0 x
uriwdesbeter
Frenchy Tomlin

I agree.I think that happens with lots of the athletic programs in schools everywhere. The poorest performaing teams ‘Dont renew their head coaches contracts’. It will just be great if URI can hire someone to turn this program around.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

All In wrote: 5 years ago True Point, anybody with any credibility or brains is not going to post specifics whether they have inside knowledge or not. And for you to encourage it is irresponsible. I hope no one posting here wants to out the personal travails of young adults as it relates to the now dismissed Coach. If you can’t fill in the blanks then I question whether you are the right individual to moderate this board. Obviously the situation with this coach reached a breaking point. She wasn’t DISMISSED because her cupcakes were bad. Anybody following URI women’s hoops even from a distance was disturbed by the last 5 years. If you want salaciousness go get a job with the Prov journal and do your own investigation. I’m sure you will be totally blown away by what you learn.
We are not asking for salacious, personal details. You can either substantiate the accusations and attacks against the former coach or you can stop making them. I’m not telling you that you have to bring dirt here; it is a perfectly viable option for you to just stop the personal attacks. You’re here anonymously and you’re calling someone out by name. I don’t know your name, but surely you have one and wouldn’t want it dragged thru the mud by an anonymous person on the internet that couldn’t support or explain what they were saying.

As far as why she was fired, you’re right. I don’t know anything about the women’s program besides it’s record. That alone seems like it could be grounds for dismissing the coach. If you know of other reasons, by all means share them if you can do so in a responsible way. And if you’re not capable of doing that, then stop with the innuendo and keep it to stuff you can actually support.
5 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

All In wrote: 5 years ago True Point, anybody with any credibility or brains is not going to post specifics whether they have inside knowledge or not. And for you to encourage it is irresponsible. I hope no one posting here wants to out the personal travails of young adults as it relates to the now dismissed Coach. If you can’t fill in the blanks then I question whether you are the right individual to moderate this board. Obviously the situation with this coach reached a breaking point. She wasn’t DISMISSED because her cupcakes were bad. Anybody following URI women’s hoops even from a distance was disturbed by the last 5 years. If you want salaciousness go get a job with the Prov journal and do your own investigation. I’m sure you will be totally blown away by what you learn.
TP is right...suggest stopping the hatchet job without some substantiation, seems juvenile and attention-seeking. I've been 'following URI women's hoop from a distance' and I'm sure like many, know only that the record is disturbing...not that the coach is a villain. It is not "obvious" to the rest of the world, outside of her poor record, why she should be so vilified. You seem to have the scoop on that. Share it. If you can't share it...not sure what you're doing here.
3 x
Narr9999
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Narr9999 »

I agree with TP on the attacks against the former coach. I have had season tickets to the men's team for over 20 years. This year is the first year that I went to any of the women's games. I went to 5 games this year. The first game was against PC and they played well and won that game. Every other game was a bad loss. They didn't play well as a team and it seemed like some players should have played more than others, but that is only my thought and who knows what was going on with the players and the team. I know that many were hoping that she was picked to be the coach, so that her son Terrance Mann would play bball for the men's team, but of course he picked Florida St. If she was fired due to the record and the program not improving, then I understand, if crap went on in the background, I never heard it and I know one of the asst. coaches and nothing was ever said. Lets move forward and try and get this program out of the basement of the A-10
5 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

The constant turnover in players and coaches over her tenure was quite alarming....it sent up red flags....
4 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
RamZone72
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RamZone72 »

The women’s basketball staff page has been cleared out. The only two names listed are Marcus Reilly & Cory Macchioni
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

There is a poster here who is close to the women's team......I wish she would post her thoughts anonymously....I won't out her...
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

This are Dayton’s Results past 12 years........wish we could have just one of those years :cry: :cry:

Year Record Postseason
2018-19 17-13 WNIT
2017-18 23-6 NCAA Tournament - 1st Round *
2016-17 22-10 NCAA Tournament - 1st Round
2015-16 14-15 WNIT - 1st Round
2014-15 27-6 NCAA Tournament - Elite Eight
2013-14 23-8 NCAA Tournament - 1st Round
2012-13 28-3 NCAA Tournament - 2nd Round
2011-12 23-7 NCAA Tournament - 1st Round
2010-11 21-12 NCAA Tournament - 1st Round
2009-10 25-8 NCAA Tournament - 1st Round
2008-09 21-14 WNIT - 2nd Round
2007-08 25-9 WNIT - 1st Round
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Ramulous wrote: 5 years ago There is a poster here who is close to the women's team......I wish she would post her thoughts anonymously....I won't out her...
This was from the announcement page. Expect things to be very quiet.
A number of players have looked to leave the program. No recruits for 2019 have been announced
Very important decision with this new hire.

Rhode Island will begin a national search for its next head coach immediately. No further comment from the athletics department regarding the search will be made until a new coach has been appointed.
0 x
SorrynotSorry
Abdul Fox

I would like to thank everyone who answered questions and commented it is very frustrating to have no where to go for information. Do I know if the sudden surge in new posters about womans basketball enlightened the URI community to start asking questions or have sudden interest even if it was morbid curiosity no. What I do know is that the administration did something and people are talking about WBB let’s get the conversation going on a positive spin and support these girls!!!! GO RHODY!!!!
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

When I was in school one of the women in a lot of my classes and who became a study partner was on the team so I went to a few games my last couple of years. Plus another one of my friends went to high school with Tommy Garrick so I went to a few games when he was coach with my friend. So I do have some interest in the WBB program. While MBB is my favorite, I want all programs (both sports and academics) to succeed at URI. I don't want any to succeed at expense of another.

I do hope they find a good coach.
3 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

La-Force was hired at least in part because of trying to get her son here.

Her record at Northeastern was nothing special.

I think Thorr has learned his lesson there.
3 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago La-Force was hired at least in part because of trying to get her son here.

If that is true (and I'm not doubting it), then that is the dumbest thing you can do. It's one thing if "maybe her son will play here" is the bonus, but it shouldn't be strong reason. She should have been hired because she was the best candidate for the job regardless of if her son played basketball.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

steviep123 wrote: 5 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago La-Force was hired at least in part because of trying to get her son here.

If that is true (and I'm not doubting it), then that is the dumbest thing you can do. It's one thing if "maybe her son will play here" is the bonus, but it shouldn't be strong reason. She should have been hired because she was the best candidate for the job regardless of if her son played basketball.
what if he did come here...? Would that change anything everything?
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

No. It would have been a great signing but not at the expense of having a dumpster fire for the women’s team.
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago Her record at Northeastern was nothing special.
At first I thought that was maybe revisionist history, but you are 100% correct.

2006-2007: (4-26;3-15)
2007-2008: (14-16;8-10)
2008-2009: (12-19;8-10)
2009-2010: (13-18;7-11)
2010-2011: (8-22;3-15)
2011-2012: (8-22;6-12)
2012-2013: (17-13;10-8)
2013-2014: (12-18;6-10)
-----------------------------------
(88-154;51-91)

"We are thrilled to have Daynia La-Force as the new head coach of the URI women's basketball program," Bjorn said. "After going through an extensive nationwide search, with many exceptional candidates, we felt that Daynia brings all the criteria we were looking for when we started the process."

"Danyia has Division I head coaching experience, a reputation for doing things the right way and is a tremendous advocate and resource for student-athlete development," Bjorn added. “She is focused on the student-athlete experience. I am confident that Daynia is the right person to put us in position to compete for Atlantic 10 Championships and help us achieve our postseason aspirations."
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 5 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago Her record at Northeastern was nothing special.
At first I thought that was maybe revisionist history, but you are 100% correct.

2006-2007: (4-26;3-15)
2007-2008: (14-16;8-10)
2008-2009: (12-19;8-10)
2009-2010: (13-18;7-11)
2010-2011: (8-22;3-15)
2011-2012: (8-22;6-12)
2012-2013: (17-13;10-8)
2013-2014: (12-18;6-10)
-----------------------------------
(88-154;51-91)

"We are thrilled to have Daynia La-Force as the new head coach of the URI women's basketball program," Bjorn said. "After going through an extensive nationwide search, with many exceptional candidates, we felt that Daynia brings all the criteria we were looking for when we started the process."

"Danyia has Division I head coaching experience, a reputation for doing things the right way and is a tremendous advocate and resource for student-athlete development," Bjorn added. “She is focused on the student-athlete experience. I am confident that Daynia is the right person to put us in position to compete for Atlantic 10 Championships and help us achieve our postseason aspirations."
I remember thinking at the time, that her record didn't show much - only 1 season over .500. I'm not sure what Thorr was thinking. Either he saw something beyond the numbers that turned into a big swing and a miss, or they were hoping for the package deal with her son.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago
I am 100% fine with this new wave of posters only here to talk about the women’s hoops team. Glad people (presumably) close to the program are connecting and finding a way to have a discussion about the team that will hopefully bring more attention to it from the part of the URI community that has been posting here for years. Usually we go thru an entire season, multiple seasons even, with only a handful of posts about the women’s team coming from the same 3 or 4 posters.

Having said that, though, I do have an issue with posters who are so new to this forum that I still have to approve each of their posts, about whom I have no idea who they are or where/how they get their info, or whether what they are saying has any basis in truth or fact or is just slanderous muddying of a coach on her way out the door. If people want to say she participated in gross misconduct, say what the misconduct was. If we are going to call the woman a witch, say she deserved “much worse” than losing her job, say that she did real damage to the young women that played for her AND the university, even that she committed violations...you need to back it up with some substantiation or at least an attempt at an explanation for why you feel as strongly about it as you do.

No more shots at the former coach without an explanation or the posts are coming down and you guys (or girls) can find somewhere else to go to kick around the former coach.

(Understand that I’m not coming to the coach’s defense here on a personal level - I’ve never met her and don’t know hardly anything about the women’s program. Maybe she deserves the harsh rebuke she’s gotten here. But without some kind of support for that opinion, I find it in poor taste. I also don’t know any of you new posters that showed up here seemingly only to dump on the former coach. Which, again, maybe she deserves but nobody has given any examples or explanations as to why she does deserve it.)
TP, I can't give any specifics about what happened in the program, but I can verify that an assistant left a year or two ago while privately saying many of the things that have been alleged. She was extremely bitter about the state of the program under the coach. I don't know if this is piling on, but I'm not surprised about some of the rumors.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

If Mann was at URI it would have had quite the impact the past few years and definitely this year. I wish it worked!

New coach rumors? I’ve heard it is not going to be national. Probably raise some KB eyebrows.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

I would think Marcus Reilly will be considered............Has now been through a few years of D1 recruiting cycles. [with what appears to be success]......previous successful H.C. experience. [granted, at a lower level].........Question, would he be a stabilizing influence with the players?
0 x
Narr9999
Abdul Fox

I coached Marcus Reilly when he was at Cranston West. He is a good person, he knows how to coach with experience as an asst and head coach. He has worked many camps thru out the country and he has roots here. If not the head coach he should be kept on at the top asst. coach with his knowledge of the team, program and the University
0 x
SorrynotSorry
Abdul Fox

Narrr9999
ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!! He’s a nice guy but he sat back and watched and said nothing over and over again to keep him would be more if the same no respect no discipline
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Sometimes good people are part of not-good situations. Cox at Rutgers with Rice, for example.
3 x
Narr9999
Abdul Fox

SorrynotSorry you must know something that I don't and that could be very true. I have spoken to about 5 girls on the team between the beginning of the season and the end of the season and two of the girls are girls that are leaving the program. Two of the girls did know that I knew Marcus very well and the other three didn't know. The only thing that they said about Marcus was that he can get very intense at times and that can be good or bad. I didn't try to go any deeper with them on that point. They all seemed to like him and one even said that he would be a good head coach. Listen it doesn't do anything one way or the other for me, if he is the head coach or top asst. I want the program to get better. I went to about 5 games this year since I have two young daughters who love basketball. It was sad to go in to the place and see it so empty. I have been a season ticket holder for the men's for over 20 years, so I bleed Rhody. The hard part about this is hearing that a lot of crap and bad stuff went on over the last 5 years, but none of it has come out other than players transferring, which was not a good sign. Go Rhody!
4 x
All In
Michael Andersen

Unread post by All In »

Would like to make comment about several things said lately here. To the comment that there will be “no national search” that would make Thor a liar so I seriously doubt that. Secondly, Riley, that ship has sailed out of Newport harbor. I like him and I even think he would have made a good head coach. BUT, that move should have been made when the chaos was in full swing last year. Daniya should have been relieved and Riley elevated and we might have had a decent year. Robert Morris who we beat made the NCAAs, Providence made the women’s NIT, Fordham took the conference and went to the dance putting up a decent fight against Syracuse and had a weaker team this year than last. Rhody had and has the talent to compete and with a sane healthy environment and competent coaching it will be like night and day next year. Riley knew and saw what was going on and said and did nothing. No matter how likeable he is that has to be addressed. A new coach is probably going to want his or her person in that 2nd seat anyway. You need a coach that exudes command and confidence, strong x & o background, player developer, and able to recruit talent that other schools miss. And someone who will not let the lunatics run the asylum!
2 x
SorrynotSorry
Abdul Fox

Narrr9999
None of the girls on team would or will say anything the last girl to speak up Nay lassiter was dismissed from the team for speaking up she went before the administration and was able to keep her FULL scholarship because she did nothing WRONG they tramitized that poor girl no one will speak and quite honestly no one has any idea
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

SorrynotSorry wrote: 5 years ago Narrr9999
ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!! He’s a nice guy but he sat back and watched and said nothing over and over again to keep him would be more if the same no respect no discipline
Said nothing about...about what? Do tell. Please be specific. Thanks.
0 x
Narr9999
Abdul Fox

SorrynotSorry that is too bad about Nay Lassiter. Something like that should not happen and a student athlete shouldn't be treated like dirt. I know the women's team is not big time so the media around it is very small, but I am shocked that all these bad things did not leak out. I just hope going forward the new coach gets the program on the right track and treats the players with respect and respect is shown to the new coach
4 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

I'm sorry, but anyone who was on the last 2 staffs has no place on the next staff. Riley may be a great guy, but at the end of the day, the last two regimes produced little success. IMO it's time to wipe the coaching staff completely clean, allow a new coach to come in and build their staff.

By the way some of the things that happened within the program were certainly talked about here before. Multiple teammates physically assaulting each other was one recurring theme.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

It's a shame it took so long to fire the coach. Same for the women's softball coach a few years ago.

I guess the school wanted to avoid any potential lawsuits concerning early termination of their contracts.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Dre3000 wrote: 5 years ago I'm sorry, but anyone who was on the last 2 staffs has no place on the next staff. Riley may be a great guy, but at the end of the day, the last two regimes produced little success. IMO it's time to wipe the coaching staff completely clean, allow a new coach to come in and build their staff.

By the way some of the things that happened within the program were certainly talked about here before. Multiple teammates physically assaulting each other was one recurring theme.
Now THAT...is a problem 'once'....as a 'theme', it's probably not sustainable...
2 x
uriwdesbeter
Frenchy Tomlin

Marcus may have had a good relationship with the girls because he was the head recruiting coach, so he probably did most of the reaching out to them. It may be that LaForce didn't let anyone input their ideas or suggestions or step up. Sometimes the (assistant) coaches can also be in a bad situation, but not able to do anything to change for fear of losing their job. No one here every work for a bad boss, but not be able to quit? I'm sure that happens to lots of people. I don't have any thoughts one way or the other about whether he stays or not, but some consistency in a program for the girls sake may not be a bad idea. It's up to the new head coach anyway.
1 x
uriwdesbeter
Frenchy Tomlin

All In wrote: 5 years ago Would like to make comment about several things said lately here. To the comment that there will be “no national search” that would make Thor a liar so I seriously doubt that. Secondly, Riley, that ship has sailed out of Newport harbor. I like him and I even think he would have made a good head coach. BUT, that move should have been made when the chaos was in full swing last year. Daniya should have been relieved and Riley elevated and we might have had a decent year. Robert Morris who we beat made the NCAAs, Providence made the women’s NIT, Fordham took the conference and went to the dance putting up a decent fight against Syracuse and had a weaker team this year than last. Rhody had and has the talent to compete and with a sane healthy environment and competent coaching it will be like night and day next year. Riley knew and saw what was going on and said and did nothing. No matter how likeable he is that has to be addressed. A new coach is probably going to want his or her person in that 2nd seat anyway. You need a coach that exudes command and confidence, strong x & o background, player developer, and able to recruit talent that other schools miss. And someone who will not let the lunatics run the asylum!
Head Coach position is posted on "WhoopDirt" and I would expect is picked up by other on-line job searches. Doesn't mean they will attract, nor hire someone nationally, but at least the job is posted nationally. It might limit new coaches though, as it is says it is a one year assignment, with possible extention. Would like be hard to pull in a new coach who has to move for what could be a one year job.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

The length of a contract is always negotiable regardless of what the posting says.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I'm told Shea Ralph is a "finalist."
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

I like that ^
1 x