The 2019 Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Re: The 2019 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by ace »

Tre Mitchell’s recruitment, which at one point seemed baffling, has really come into focus in the last month or so. He was viewed as a one time Notre Dame lock, then messed around with maybe going to the class of 2020, and now the always effective job-promise. He’s taking quite the risk.

I think he’d do well in the A10- not hugely athletic but has some very nice moves around the basket for a young big.

And, for the record, I’m not generally opposed to hiring a guy to get a recruit. But, the rest of the staff has to be strong and secure in their roles and can’t be undermined by the new guy.
Last edited by ace 5 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Maybe he'll just become huge...like Holloway...….
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Boy Umass really is a dumpster fire now they are whacking coaches

McCall does seem over his head
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Is Stone happy because he hates GW or because he loves JTIII?
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think that would be a decent hire for GW
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago McCall was the one who hired those guys....this is laughable. They don't want to pay off McCall so dump the cheap staff.

Bringing in a HS coach to secure a recruit....that's another good one!

The gift that keeps on giving....that's UMess basketball folks!
Btw how is hiring an assistant only to get the son to play not an ncaa violation?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

reef wrote: 5 years ago I think that would be a decent hire for GW
I'd say that's a home run hire for GW.

The Thompson name is gold in the DMV and JT3 is a great coach who gets underrated by his father's shadow.

He was damn good at Georgetown, but got the boot because he wasn't his dad.

Took Princeton to the dance 2 out of 4 years.
Took Georgetown to the Final 4, Sweet 16 and 8 appearances in 13 seasons. 271-158 overall there (.653 win%)
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

GW will be good again soon if they hire him.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

JT3 would be a great hire for sure. There are GW fans on Twitter, however, saying they should reject JT3 out of principle because Georgetown refuses to play GW. One comment I thought comical was something like, "Can JT3 refuse to play himself?"
Last edited by steviep123 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
steviep123
Sly Williams

Please don't confuse what I'm about to write with me being displeased with Cox, because I think Cox is good, however, if instead of Cox URI chose to hire JT3 instead, I would have been very happy (I know he wasn't a consideration that I remember).
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I'm no expert on evaluating coaches obviously, but I'd give DC a B- overall on his 1st season.

Of course if I graded him right after that 1-7 swoon he would have gotten a D.

Lots of good signs plus things to work on. That's not just him...team also.

If things keep improving I think we have a winner.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I think james Jones from Yale is a better hire than JT3. He’s done more with less. JT3 was a colossal disappointment at Gtown, yes he had a couple tourney runs but he also lost to double digit seeds 4 years in a row. You know what you get with him, Jones has more upside IMO and is a young exciting coach to add to the league.
2 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago I think james Jones from Yale is a better hire than JT3. He’s done more with less. JT3 was a colossal disappointment at Gtown, yes he had a couple tourney runs but he also lost to double digit seeds 4 years in a row. You know what you get with him, Jones has more upside IMO and is a young exciting coach to add to the league.
Jones is a terrific coach. He’s also the guy who’s stil coaching this season versus the guy who was fired. But who knows? Ford and Grant are current examples of coaches who have found a place in the A10 after mixed results higher up.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I couldn’t think of a guy I’d be less excited about than JTIII. Not sure I get the attraction. He wouldn’t have ever been a coach if his father wasn’t a HOF coach. His teams underachieved consistently. He’s the classic boring retread. I’d always gamble on giving a guy a shot on his way up - an assistant or a head coach at a smaller school. I don’t need someone who plateued as a mid-pack Big East program with one of the best brands in college basketball in a smoldering recruiting hotbed.
0 x
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago I couldn’t think of a guy I’d be less excited about than JTIII. Not sure I get the attraction. He wouldn’t have ever been a coach if his father wasn’t a HOF coach. His teams underachieved consistently. He’s the classic boring retread. I’d always gamble on giving a guy a shot on his way up - an assistant or a head coach at a smaller school. I don’t need someone who plateued as a mid-pack Big East program with one of the best brands in college basketball in a smoldering recruiting hotbed.
He's brought teams to the NCAA Tournament 10 times out of 17 total seasons and has been to the Final Four. He's also only missed the NCAA/NIT 3x in his career. This is one of the most insane takes I've seen.
1 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago I couldn’t think of a guy I’d be less excited about than JTIII. Not sure I get the attraction. He wouldn’t have ever been a coach if his father wasn’t a HOF coach. His teams underachieved consistently. He’s the classic boring retread. I’d always gamble on giving a guy a shot on his way up - an assistant or a head coach at a smaller school. I don’t need someone who plateued as a mid-pack Big East program with one of the best brands in college basketball in a smoldering recruiting hotbed.
The end of the JTIII era in Georgetown was ugly and I don't think that highly of him as an in-game coach

That said, he won the Ivy 3 out of his 4 years at Princeton, won the (real) Big East 3 out of his 13 years at Georgetown and made a Final Four in his third year. His teams never lacked talent. Talent alone would make GW a top half team in the A10 if he used his old recruiting connections. I remember people were less than pleased with NCAA appearances - for good reason.

I think GW could do much worse and prefer him over James Jones who has 2 NCAA tournaments in 20 years at Yale. In fact, for direct comparison - JTIII never finished behind Jones while they were in the Ivy together.
2 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

They took a few days to officially announce it, but there it is...

0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

No love lost for the Klingon, especially after the injuries to Garrett and Iverson 3 years ago.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Martelli had lost (no longer there) most of his Admin friends that had long supported him at SJU. They have a new AD that had no ties to him who wants to make her own mark.

This is the email that went out to the SJU community:

TO: SJU Community
RE: Change in Coaching Leadership

Dear SJU Community,

Following a comprehensive review of the men’s basketball program, I have decided to make a change in the leadership of the program. The decision was not an easy one, but I believe it is the right one – for both the men’s basketball program and the institution as a whole.

We will immediately start the search for a new head coach, with the goal of having the new head coach onboard in the coming weeks.

I want to make two important points: (1) Coach Phil Martelli stands out among his peers in college basketball not only for his long tenure and the many accolades that he and his teams have achieved, but also for his engagement with the community and his service as a wonderful ambassador for SJU. The University recognizes and celebrates the history and heart that Coach Martelli brought to the program and thanks him for his long service, dedication and stewardship. (2) Basketball is an important strategic asset for the University. We have a storied history, and we move forward with the desire and intent to build upon that history, develop a sustained and consistent culture of excellence, and compete for NCAA tournament appearances and conference championships every year.

In closing, I promise to continue to work extremely hard to ensure that Saint Joseph’s Athletics and our student-athletes remain a source of great pride to the University community. The Hawk Will Never Die.
Last edited by RF1 5 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

URI_05 wrote: 5 years ago
He's brought teams to the NCAA Tournament 10 times out of 17 total seasons and has been to the Final Four. He's also only missed the NCAA/NIT 3x in his career. This is one of the most insane takes I've seen.
Literally I could have done that at the Georgetown program he inherited.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2019 Coaching Carousel

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago I know of 1 move that will happen in a week, and its none of the schools listed above. That's all I can say :)
Martelli is who I was referencing here.
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Re: 2019 Coaching Carousel

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago I know of 1 move that will happen in a week, and its none of the schools listed above. That's all I can say :)
Martelli is who I was referencing here.
While I didn't think it would happen, I'm not all that surprised. I'm actually more surprised that Fordham is keeping their coach. I wonder if anyone (like Charlie Brown) transfers. We could use him (although he'd probably have to sit 2 seasons, right?).
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Fatts sent Martelli off right.
3 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

sorry, not sorry. the absolute definition of a pompous ass just got his...

2 x
---
---
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago
SmartyBarrett wrote: 5 years ago
One person well past his prime commenting on someone of similar ilk.
You were saying?
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Perhaps Martelli will now have the time to fight Billy Packer down at the street corner.

Never cared for the man and not in the least bit sorry to see him go. He was very pompous and arrogant and was mostly all about self promotion. He was never a true ambassador for the A-10 as some fools suggested.
0 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago Perhaps Martelli will now have the time to fight Billy Packer down at the street corner.

Never cared for the man and not in the least bit sorry to see him go. He was very pompous and arrogant and was mostly all about self promotion. He was never a true ambassador for the A-10 as some fools suggested.
Has anyone ever intra-conference poached? Ashley Howard would be a good candidate.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago Fatts sent Martelli off right.
It pleases me to think that Martelli's last game ever coached on Hawk Hill was a loss to URI.
3 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Section104 wrote: 5 years ago
RF1 wrote: 5 years ago Perhaps Martelli will now have the time to fight Billy Packer down at the street corner.

Has anyone ever intra-conference poached? Ashley Howard would be a good candidate.

Are you kidding? Have you forgotten Baron already? There have been others as well. Satalin had earlier left SBU for Duquesne. It seems coaches in the past have really wanted out of Olean.
Last edited by RF1 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Are you kidding? Have you forgotten Baron already? There have been others as well. Satalin had earlier left SBU for Duquesne.
To be fair, Baron was forgetful.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

steviep123
Sly Williams

Sorry if this was already posted:

0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Section104
Art Stephenson

Are you kidding? Have you forgotten Baron already? There have been others as well. Satalin had earlier left SBU for Duquesne. It seems coaches in the past have really wanted out of Olean.
Sorry I choose not to remember those years...St. Joe's should make a run at Schmidt.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

ace wrote: 5 years ago
SBU nation just breathed a collective sigh of relief.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Christian’s record at BC: 62-100 overall, 18-72 in conference play over five years.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Jesus H....imagine if Al got half the leash that Christian has at BC
4 x
---
---
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

A lot of unemployed assistant coaches .... TJ might have to compete with some of them if Carroll doesn't return.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote: 5 years ago Jesus H....imagine if Al got half the leash that Christian has at BC

Al never quite "fit in" at BC.
1 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

I wonder if Jameer Nelson gets a look at St. Joseph's...no coaching experience, but he's a local legend and was awfully close to the program all year. If he hired 3 strong assistants and a former head coach or two there could be worse hires.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Al never liked the recruiting grind, either here or at BC.

His assistants did most of the leg work.

He seemed most comfortable hanging out at Casey's lol.....
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

steviep123 wrote: 5 years ago No love lost for the Klingon, especially after the injuries to Garrett and Iverson 3 years ago.
At least Phil now has time to reprise his role on Tales from the Crypt.
1 x
'No Mercy.'
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Section104 wrote: 5 years ago I wonder if Jameer Nelson gets a look at St. Joseph's...no coaching experience, but he's a local legend and was awfully close to the program all year. If he hired 3 strong assistants and a former head coach or two there could be worse hires.
No, no and no. St Joe's is too impt a program for the A10, cannot make a completely experimental hire. I'm not sure people understand how difficult it is to be a college coach, Dave Cox had 20 years of assistant coach experience and look how big the jump is for him, its obvious he is learning on the job. Multiple that by 1,000 for a guy who has never done it before.
4 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Also not sure SJU wants to run off a legend then replace him with a guy who is so connected with him. Would think they’d want to wipe the slate totally clean, otherwise why did they run Martelli out in the first place?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I had heard a booster put up the $$$ for them to do it. Not sure if that was as an incentive, or to subsidize any buy out. Martelli also lost his father just a short time ago so not the best timing for this.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I realize Martelli’s not a favorite here, but I know a lot of people who have been helped tremendously by him. I wish they could have arranged something like Dunphy and Temple did.
2 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago
Section104 wrote: 5 years ago I wonder if Jameer Nelson gets a look at St. Joseph's...no coaching experience, but he's a local legend and was awfully close to the program all year. If he hired 3 strong assistants and a former head coach or two there could be worse hires.
No, no and no. St Joe's is too impt a program for the A10, cannot make a completely experimental hire. I'm not sure people understand how difficult it is to be a college coach, Dave Cox had 20 years of assistant coach experience and look how big the jump is for him, its obvious he is learning on the job. Multiple that by 1,000 for a guy who has never done it before.
I don't disagree. It's being floated around the St. Joe's board...
0 x
PillPushr
Michael Andersen

Unread post by PillPushr »

Mooney at Richmond is getting to be a Baron like situation. Everyone wants him out, but sounds like the school doesn't have the money to get rid of him.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I think richmond has plenty of money
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I always thought Mooney could coach....but recruiting is an issue.

He has gotten talented players, just not enough of them.
0 x