CBI

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: CBI

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago I had no idea that a regular season champ is a NIT automatic bid.
This has been in effect for three years now gong back to 2017. Ten of the 32 NIT bids were automatic invites such as this. Most of these teams would not have made the field otherwise. The exceptions would be Hofstra and Lipscomb as they would have also merited at large NIT invites.

NIT
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_ ... Tournament

There are now about 45 NCAA and 20 NIT at large bids awarded. With just 65 total at larges to both the NCAA and NIT, you basically need to be in the top 75 rankings (diff accounting for approx ten best league tourney champions that get NCAA auto bids) to get an invite.
Last edited by RF1 5 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago I had no idea that a regular season champ is a NIT automatic bid.
It's been like that for at least a few years now. Some consolation for the team that wins the conference regular season but fails to win the tournament.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RhodyNJ
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RhodyNJ »

I think our guys are mentally and physically exhausted. Have no issues calling it a season (ending on a relative high note) and start working towards 19/20.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

These third rate tourneys do not provide much benefit. End the season in Brooklyn on the high note of having won six of the final seven games.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Anyone thinking URI would have drawn well for a CBI game should look at what PC got tonight for their NIT game with much discounted ticket prices. The highest average attendance school in New England drew just 3,057 to the 12,400 seat Dunkin Donuts Center for a game with Arkansas. Friar fans were probably wise to stay away and avoid seeing their team easily beat beaten by the SEC's 9th place team that was without its best player. With the loss, PC falls to 18-16, which drops it to the third best record for the four RI D1 schools.
2 x