Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago I think Alex and Ani are moving their operations to NY, so that might have something to do with it. As far as I know, no reason has been publicly offered.
Providence is where they’re relocating to. Not like I am upset about it because I don’t care for their product at all.
1 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Alex and Ani bracelets were always a flash in the pan fashion statement. Never thought they had long term sustainability and none of there products following since seem to have resonated. Idk I’m not a woman, I’m probably wrong on this, but that’s my hot take on this.

Regardless, URI better step up and correct the amateurish BankRI white out they have on the floor currently. I give them a pass since it was mid season but they better have it looking professional by 2019-20 tip-off.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

STC wrote: 5 years ago Alex and Ani bracelets were always a flash in the pan fashion statement. Never thought they had long term sustainability and none of there products following since seem to have resonated. Idk I’m not a woman, I’m probably wrong on this, but that’s my hot take on this.

Regardless, URI better step up and correct the amateurish BankRI white out they have on the floor currently. I give them a pass since it was mid season but they better have it looking professional by 2019-20 tip-off.
Agreed.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago
STC wrote: 5 years ago Alex and Ani bracelets were always a flash in the pan fashion statement. Never thought they had long term sustainability and none of there products following since seem to have resonated. Idk I’m not a woman, I’m probably wrong on this, but that’s my hot take on this.

Agreed.
Use white out for the floor and for the season :cry: :cry: :cry:
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

You are not wrong at all about their bracelets.

And agreed on the white background of the logo. Maybe there will even be another court name next year since the BankRI was never officially announced.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I love supporting local businesses and while a good business is a good business, I wasn’t a fan of naming our new court after a women’s jewelry store. Any word on official name change?
2 x
GO RAMS
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Alex and Ani has very close ties to URI....run by an ex-URI student and most of their employees are URI grads.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago Alex and Ani has very close ties to URI....run by an ex-URI student and most of their employees are URI grads.
Pretty sure everyone is aware of that. Feroce was running it but then he left to run Benrus which unfortunately failed as did his gubernatorial bid.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......I think something needs to be done about the two lane flow of exiting traffic from the Keaney lots, any, even a few of cars trying to get into the lots are blocked, maybe widening the entrance lanes, make two exit lanes, one entry......police details are doing their best, but the incoming cars get stacked up.......there is land available to improve this situation......
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

section(105) wrote: 5 years ago .......I think something needs to be done about the two lane flow of exiting traffic from the Keaney lots, any, even a few of cars trying to get into the lots are blocked, maybe widening the entrance lanes, make two exit lanes, one entry......police details are doing their best, but the incoming cars get stacked up.......there is land available to improve this situation......
Agreed! I park in the commuter lot on the North Side. It’s been taking me on average at least 30-35 minutes to get out of the lot, drive down Plains, take left on 138 and get back up to Upper College. Did not nearly take as long as this in previous years.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......what makes zero sense for me is this, the width of the entrance from Rt 138 into the Keaney lots has not changed since the 1950/s.......even with the development of the Boss Arena and the RC I think the entrance was not improved.......even with RIDOT jurisdiction, assumed, and future planning it is pending dangerous accident/road rage situation.......there is barely a breakdown lane for any turns off 138 into the parking lot with two lanes exiting the game.......I think URI can do better than this......out.
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

agreed with section 105. A major renovation of the surrounding roadways needs to be done. The campus is expanding and the population is growing.
1 x
GO RAMS
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

There is planned roadway improvements for 138 in that area. I don't know exactly what the improvements are supposed to be and when they're happening though. I'd imagine soon with the bike path coming online and going through that area
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

What's up with the practice facility? Not a peep about it lately. Did a major donor back out or something? What's going on?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago What's up with the practice facility? Not a peep about it lately. Did a major donor back out or something? What's going on?
Seems to have only been important when the school was trying to keep a certain coach. Dead silence on the matter since then.

If URI has to hire a new coach in the coming years, concrete evidence for such a facility will have to exist - be it completed or in the construction phase. Candidates will know words from URI regarding facilities mean little. Just think back to Baron being promised a stand alone student athlete training and academic support center. Nearly ten years later when he was let go, it still did not exist. A stand alone center never got built as the project was greatly downsized due to funding issues and a far less grand center was eventually carved out of existing space. Another example is the major upgrade of Meade Stadium. There are conceptual renderings that are some 15 years old now but nothing as yet was ever done (will supposedly soon get turf and lighting which was part of it).
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Baron wasn't promised a stand alone facility, it was always known that it was going up as a bond issue that needed to pass, one in which he was too lazy to campaign for in any way. And turf and lighting isn't "supposedly", it's in the state capital budget which I've linked to
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago What's up with the practice facility? Not a peep about it lately. Did a major donor back out or something? What's going on?
Can someone answer this question please.......
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

No. Because if anyone had information to share they would have done so already. I can tell you there is nothing in the state's capital budget about it where there is something about the turf and lights being added to Meade and that is mostly donor based funding. At this point I would assume nothing is moving forward on the project
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago Baron wasn't promised a stand alone facility, it was always known that it was going up as a bond issue that needed to pass, one in which he was too lazy to campaign for in any way. And turf and lighting isn't "supposedly", it's in the state capital budget which I've linked to
It is possible that Baron was never "promised" a stand alone facility but that is what was eventually publicly unveiled. A new structure was to be built in the grassy area out back between Keaney and Tootell. There were even conceptual drawings. Never materialized.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Noticed Alex and Ani is back on the court.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I noticed that too. I wonder why? I wonder if there was some agreement that A&A would have most of the year with BankRI getting some games? Hence the white BankRI sticker over the A&A?
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

steviep123 wrote: 5 years ago I noticed that too. I wonder why? I wonder if there was some agreement that A&A would have most of the year with BankRI getting some games? Hence the white BankRI sticker over the A&A?
Ahhh maybe that was it? I don’t do business with either company anyway as much as I try and do support other sponsors.
1 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Those BankRI stickers clearly put us in a shooting funk!!!
4 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Wonder how creeped out everyone would be if we went back to the third Rhody on the top row.
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Taylor Swift wrote: 5 years ago

Wonder how creeped out everyone would be if we went back to the third Rhody on the top row.
It would be better than what we have now -- Lion King with horns.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Honestly, the original might be the best one.
0 x
GO RAMS
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

BRING BACK RHODY !

it can be an updated version but our current lion is a joke
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 5 years ago BRING BACK RHODY !

it can be an updated version but our current lion is a joke
I know I've harped on this over the years. But the mascot this year showed some moxie. I think that is just what we need. Someone who will be a mischievous RAM!!!! Get active. Do something to get the fans going. In the past, the Ram would hide and not be seen. Whoever is the mascot this year did a good job.
3 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Guys you’ll never believe this.

I go into the Barclays Center. Select “Barclays Center” from the WiFi dropdown.

Magically, I enter my email and it connects me to the internet.

It’s almost like this technology isn’t impossible to attain.
9 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Blue Man wrote: 5 years ago Guys you’ll never believe this.

That's some big city technology right there! You can't expect little 'ol Rhody to implement something that advanced!
4 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

So I don’t have to send my friend a text message in another row via Morse code like I do in the RC?
1 x
GansettSummer
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by GansettSummer »

I want working WiFi just as much as everyone else but you're comparing apples to oranges. A 17,000+ NBA Arena that cost one billion dollars to build vs. the RC. I agree the technologies out there but at what cost?

Say it costs over $100k to upgrade the current wifi (I don't know actual numbers just throwing it out there) would you want the university to do that vs. using it towards something that the team needs? Charters, increased assistants pay, practice facility, etc? There's definitely value to the fan enjoyment but there's got to be a priority list with it all.
2 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

GansettSummer wrote: 5 years ago

I want working WiFi just as much as everyone else but you're comparing apples to oranges. A 17,000+ NBA Arena that cost one billion dollars to build vs. the RC. I agree the technologies out there but at what cost?

Say it costs over $100k to upgrade the current wifi (I don't know actual numbers just throwing it out there) would you want the university to do that vs. using it towards something that the team needs? Charters, increased assistants pay, practice facility, etc? There's definitely value to the fan enjoyment but there's got to be a priority list with it all.
I am not 100% certain but the cost would fall under Spectrum Management who manages the RC, and not the university. Secondly the WiFi capability is already there since URI staff/faculty/students have campus-wide WiFi. I have a tiny bit of IT knowledge and seems to me they would simply need some kind of booster or access points to establish in-arena public WiFi. $100k would be very high to so this. I also am pretty sure I had WiFi at the Mullins Center.

More charters and the practice facility are necessities at this point, but in this day and age fans who attend games who aren’t true (Keaney) blue like us consider not having WiFi to be a major deterrent, especially since LTE doesn’t seem to work in there via any carrier.
0 x
RhodyRamFan69
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RhodyRamFan69 »

We should also consider the opportunity cost of not upgrading the Wifi. It’s currently impossible to tweet, Instagram, and Snapchat anything while the game is going on. URI is missing a big opportunity to have our fans promote their product, for free!!! More eyeballs= more dollars, this seems like a no brainer to me.
3 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Is there a mesh network (ie Eero/Google Wifi/Orbi) that will work large scale?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Multiple problems solved. Introduce beer sales at all concessions and allow patrons to bring it back to their seats. All new profit from beer sales initially put aside to pay for WIFI improvements. Once there are enough funds, upgrade WIFI and direct continuing beer profits to other facility needs.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Make the terrace below the scoreboard a restaurant/bar. (see left side of attached image) Atlanta Hawks arena.
hawks_arena_bowl_fnl1.jpg
0 x
GO RAMS
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago Make the terrace below the scoreboard a restaurant/bar. (see left side of attached image) Atlanta Hawks arena.

hawks_arena_bowl_fnl1.jpg
I remember about 4-5 years ago going to the RC as part of a fan forum on ways to improve. This was even before Rhody Pubs existed. Someone had mentioned that, and I think that's a fantastic idea. The Rhody Pub only offers salty pretzels or convenience store grade pizza. I'm sure they could spice it up a little bit.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I've probably said that 100 times. A terrace bar type thing would be a distinguishing factor fans and nonfans alike would come away talking about.
4 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Currently the only way to get Wifi in the RC is to either be a student or have someone give you their password to get on URI_Secure. The functionality is there-- there just needs to be a way to figure out how to make it a Public Wifi... having a separate login maybe? Not 100% sure how it all works.
0 x
GansettSummer
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by GansettSummer »

I am not 100% certain but the cost would fall under Spectrum Management who manages the RC, and not the university. Secondly the WiFi capability is already there since URI staff/faculty/students have campus-wide WiFi. I have a tiny bit of IT knowledge and seems to me they would simply need some kind of booster or access points to establish in-arena public WiFi. $100k would be very high to so this. I also am pretty sure I had WiFi at the Mullins Center.

More charters and the practice facility are necessities at this point, but in this day and age fans who attend games who aren’t true (Keaney) blue like us consider not having WiFi to be a major deterrent, especially since LTE doesn’t seem to work in there via any carrier.
Spectra Management runs the facility but their budget still comes from the university to operate it. I just threw out a number for cost so agree that may be high, but even if it's 25k-50k that's still a charter or two.
RF1 wrote: 5 years ago Multiple problems solved. Introduce beer sales at all concessions and allow patrons to bring it back to their seats. All new profit from beer sales initially put aside to pay for WIFI improvements. Once there are enough funds, upgrade WIFI and direct continuing beer profits to other facility needs.
This!!!
RhodyRamFan69 wrote: 5 years ago We should also consider the opportunity cost of not upgrading the Wifi. It’s currently impossible to tweet, Instagram, and Snapchat anything while the game is going on. URI is missing a big opportunity to have our fans promote their product, for free!!! More eyeballs= more dollars, this seems like a no brainer to me.
Agree with you here but like I said what's URI priority? I don't know that answer. There's definitely a value to have people talking about your product which can equate almost to a dollar value in free marketing.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

In 2019 its simply unacceptable and embarrassing to have the WiFi issue. Please fix!
3 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

steviep123 wrote: 5 years ago Is there a mesh network (ie Eero/Google Wifi/Orbi) that will work large scale?
Yes thats what most arenas doo.. meshed networks with ubiquity or something like that
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago In 2019 its simply unacceptable and embarrassing to have the WiFi issue. Please fix!
screw the wifi, I'd settle just for having real time replays...
2 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Spectra Management runs the facility but their budget still comes from the university to operate it. I just threw out a number for cost so agree that may be high, but even if it's 25k-50k that's still a charter or two.
RF1 wrote: 5 years ago Multiple problems solved. Introduce beer sales at all concessions and allow patrons to bring it back to their seats. All new profit from beer sales initially put aside to pay for WIFI improvements. Once there are enough funds, upgrade WIFI and direct continuing beer profits to other facility needs.
This!!!
RhodyRamFan69 wrote: 5 years ago We should also consider the opportunity cost of not upgrading the Wifi. It’s currently impossible to tweet, Instagram, and Snapchat anything while the game is going on. URI is missing a big opportunity to have our fans promote their product, for free!!! More eyeballs= more dollars, this seems like a no brainer to me.
Agree with you here but like I said what's URI priority? I don't know that answer. There's definitely a value to have people talking about your product which can equate almost to a dollar value in free marketing.
I have been to many arenas, large, medium, small.
URI is the only arena where I cannot get Wi-Fi.
Most all airports now have free Wi-Fi, even the smaller airports (was not that way a year or two ago)

Even some public parks have free Wi-Fi.

Starbucks (at one time was t-mobile only), restaurants, shopping malls, etc etc

URI as a public university, currently spending $200 million for a new, centralized Engineering Facility should be embarrassed by this.

At the very least URI sports marketing should have a plan out there with a timetable for implementation.

At least one Pro Football Team has gone 100 percent Paperless with tickets, others with plans in place to go paperless. No paper tickets at all. They must have Wi-Fi capability.

There is no reason a school of URIs caliber should be so far behind in Wi-Fi availability

Don’t get me started on the food quality, higher than should be pricing, inadequate training and long lines.
3 x
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

I've had season tickets in Section 314 Row A for four years. Just got a call from the Ryan Center that they are kicking me out of my seats in order to expand the student section to 314 next season.

(They offered to move me to 302 or give me the end zone rate in 313 for two years -- I chose the latter, given that Row A was available, but I'm still a little annoyed even though I support the possibility that more students will potentially mean a more raucous atmosphere for the big games we have coming up this season.)
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RhodyFanNotAlum wrote: 5 years ago I've had season tickets in Section 314 Row A for four years. Just got a call from the Ryan Center that they are kicking me out of my seats in order to expand the student section to 314 next season.

(They offered to move me to 302 or give me the end zone rate in 313 for two years -- I chose the latter, given that Row A was available, but I'm still a little annoyed even though I support the possibility that more students will potentially mean a more raucous atmosphere for the big games we have coming up this season.)
I went to 8 or 9 games last year and I don't think 301 was full for any of them. Even some of the 200 sections weren't full for many if them. Why would they expand the student sections?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RhodyFanNotAlum wrote: 5 years ago I've had season tickets in Section 314 Row A for four years. Just got a call from the Ryan Center that they are kicking me out of my seats in order to expand the student section to 314 next season.

Why are they doing this? Can't imagine they need more seats. Seems to me there were few times this past season the student sections were ever full. Are they just swapping sections where they will place them?
Last edited by RF1 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

:idea:
RF1 wrote: 5 years ago

Why are they doing this. Can't imagines they need more seats. Seems to me there were few times this past season the student sections were ever full. Are they just swapping sections where they will place them?

Since 301 was not an option to move to and because they used the word "expand," I assumed this wasn't just a mere swap. Although maybe they're getting rid of the student seats at the floor level in the opposite end zone. I should have asked.

My first thought was that they would do it this season because we have some big OOC home games coming up. But if there are indeed more seats reserved for students I assume that also means even fewer will be available to the public for the PC game.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

That's what I was thinking. Maybe they're adding the 300 level section and taking away a couple of 200 sections. If so, even fewer students will be near the court.
0 x