2019 NCAA Tournament Bubble

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Re: 2019 NCAA Tournament Bubble

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago Gotta love Florida giving a pounding to Nevada
Book it.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

ramfan85 wrote: 5 years ago It's possible that because of URI, the league got an extra team in the tourney for the second year in a row.
:?:
0 x
R.Kelly150
Kenny Green

Unread post by R.Kelly150 »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago
ramfan85 wrote: 5 years ago It's possible that because of URI, the league got an extra team in the tourney for the second year in a row.
Yes but who knows if VCU would have beaten St. Bonaventure or St. Louise. Still URI did bring down the most highly regarded and only bubble team offered by the A-10.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

R.Kelly150 wrote: 5 years ago
Yes but who knows if VCU would have beaten St. Bonaventure or St. Louise. Still URI did bring down the most highly regarded and only bubble team offered by the A-10.
True. That's why I said "possible" 😀
0 x
R.Kelly150
Kenny Green

Unread post by R.Kelly150 »

ramfan85 wrote: 5 years ago
R.Kelly150 wrote: 5 years ago

True. That's why I said "possible" 😀
Very True!

If, VCU had beaten Rhody in that hard fought game I dont think I would have picked them over St Bonaventure. St Bonaventure finsihed the conference schedule strongly and historically the top seed in the A-10 tourney doesn't win the tourney.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Now we have people talking what ifs?
1 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

VCU as an 8 seems ridiculous to me... I hope they do well, but their best win is Texas...
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

rhodysurf wrote: 5 years ago VCU as an 8 seems ridiculous to me... I hope they do well, but their best win is Texas...
Seems the NCAA still gives the A10 their props. Which they should. This league is strong. Maybe down this year. But one year does not kill a conference.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Good bracket. Only St. John’s with a net of 73 was really a toss up. But the first four out weren’t much better. So only a minor complaint. I hate seeing Temple vs. Belmont. Rather both play P5s. Also VCU and SLU potentially meeting in the Sweet 16 is weak.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Bids by conference-
Big Ten: 8
ACC: 7
SEC: 7
Big 12: 6
American: 4
Big East: 4
PAC 12: 3
A10: 2
Mountain West: 2
Ohio Valley: 2
West Coast: 2

A10 bids by year-
2013: 5
2014: 6
2015: 3
2016: 3
2017: 3
2018: 3
2019: 2
Last edited by ace 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

rhodysurf wrote: 5 years ago VCU as an 8 seems ridiculous to me... I hope they do well, but their best win is Texas...

Crazy they are an 8 against UCF
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

That's OK VCU is only going 1 round tops anyway.

Guess who they get if they win their 1st game.

You guessed it, Duke.

They take our place as NCAA tourney fodder for Duke.

I swear, the committee must like doing this shit often to the A10's best team.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

VCU had NET of 34
Won the A10 with a 16-2 record which was a dominating performance
25-7 record
The 34 could place them as a 9 seed (the first 32 teams would be 8 and under) they got an 8 so close to the NCAA NET generated ranking system.

I hope VCU and Saint Louis kick butt
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

VCU might beat UCF...but that will be a major defensive struggle, both teams are very good defensively.

Santos-Silva will have his hands full with Tacko Fall.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ace wrote: 5 years ago Potential Buffalo-ASU game? Damn. There’s some storylines there.

But I hope we see it because I like when St. John’s loses.
I was at a small gathering for the selection show today and people were so confused when I got all fired up about an ASU/Buffalo potential matchup. Had to give everybody a quick rundown on the story line. "So this kid EC Matthews...etc. etc. etc." Pretty funny.
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

St. Johns is really the only team I had a problem with making the field.

NET of 73? Poor finish?

Not to worry.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

adam914 wrote: 5 years ago
ace wrote: 5 years ago Potential Buffalo-ASU game? Damn. There’s some storylines there.

I was at a small gathering for the selection show today and people were so confused when I got all fired up about an ASU/Buffalo potential matchup. Had to give everybody a quick rundown on the story line. "So this kid EC Matthews...etc. etc. etc." Pretty funny.
I’m picturing a power point presentation with you holding a laser pointer showing Romulus, Michigan on a map, and I insist on believing that’s exactly how it went down... “and then Nate called Dan and he told him to call his brother and then he got a job as an assistant and then Bobby went to Tempe and Nate took over in Buffalo and Bobby took a few of his best players but it didn’t matter and Nate is awesome and everybody’s friends and Dan went to see him play in his first tournament game in Providence and said he wouldn’t go to another tournament game until his team made it and then they did and Bobby went to that game and now the Bulls and Sun Devils are going to play and are there any questions? Wait, where did everybody go?”
6 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

NIT Bracket:
https://www.cbssports.com/collegebasket ... ewable_nit

Two A-10 schools going to the NIT
#4 Davidson will host Liscomb
#5 Dayton at Colorado

Other opponents:
#6 Harvard at Georgetown
#4 PC will host Arkansas

Next year home OOC opponent:
#1 Alabama will host Norfolk State
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ace wrote: 5 years ago
adam914 wrote: 5 years ago

I’m picturing a power point presentation with you holding a laser pointer showing Romulus, Michigan on a map, and I insist on believing that’s exactly how it went down... “and then Nate called Dan and he told him to call his brother and then he got a job as an assistant and then Bobby went to Tempe and Nate took over in Buffalo and Bobby took a few of his best players but it didn’t matter and Nate is awesome and everybody’s friends and Dan went to see him play in his first tournament game in Providence and said he wouldn’t go to another tournament game until his team made it and then they did and Bobby went to that game and now the Bulls and Sun Devils are going to play and are there any questions? Wait, where did everybody go?”
Haha this is way more accurate than you probably realize. People may have been drinking a bit to, so I'm not sure how they would do in the follow up pop quiz.
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

VCU did beat Temple too may have been better than their Texas win

Minny v Louisville matchup Pitino v ex Pitino
If Minny wins they play Sparty a conf matchup for the right to go to Seeet 16 don’t like that

Hoping ASU wins to see ASU Buffalo

Cinci seems better than a 7 seed

Marquette a 5 seed and Nova 6 seed should be flipped
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago St. Johns is really the only team I had a problem with making the field.

NET of 73? Poor finish?

Not to worry.
I think the problem with SJU is that they did fall into a spot where they had 3 losses without one of their two best players in the lineup (Ponds/Heron). They got killed in the NET in some of those games, such as an 8 point home loss to DePaul, a 14 point home loss to PC, and an 11 point home loss to Xavier. With the committee taking into account health, that was probably enough to nudge them in. Who else do they let in? Indiana? Alabama? TCU?
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 5 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago St. Johns is really the only team I had a problem with making the field.

NET of 73? Poor finish?

Not to worry.
I think the problem with SJU is that they did fall into a spot where they had 3 losses without one of their two best players in the lineup (Ponds/Heron). They got killed in the NET in some of those games, such as an 8 point home loss to DePaul, a 14 point home loss to PC, and an 11 point home loss to Xavier. With the committee taking into account health, that was probably enough to nudge them in. Who else do they let in? Indiana? Alabama? TCU?
I mean, you can make the case for TCU over St Johns based on 20 spots better in NET and SOS.

SOS:

TCU - 41
SJU - 73

Q1+Q2 wins:

TCU - 9
SJU - 10

Q4 games played:

TCU - 4
SJU - 8

Average NET ranking of W/L

TCU - 116 win/ 37 loss
SJU - 144 win/ 62 loss

Probably splitting hairs, but TCU looks to have edged them out by the numbers
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Think it’s the best the committee has done in recent memory with who got in

There were really no major snubs
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”