2018 - 2019 Women's Basketball Season

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: 2018 - 2019 Women's Basketball Season

Unread post by ramster »

From the Pittsburgh Post Gazette..........

Duquesne (18-12), which was picked to win the Atlantic 10 but had a disappointing regular season, set a school record for points scored in the first quarter (42) and points scored in the first half (66), finishing 10 points shy of the record for points scored in a game, which was set in 1990.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/duq ... 1903050177
1 x
RhodyinCali
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RhodyinCali »

If she was half as good of a coach as she is a promoter via twitter this program would be one vying for the conference title. Too much turn over via the members of the team and not enough cohesion. All surface material.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

You are basically what your record says you are

There is no reason why URI women's sports should be in this situation
  • Why are Fordham and Duquesne always at the top of A10 Women's Basketball?
  • We have the best arena for women to play in - the Ryan Center is 1st rate
  • We have a beautiful campus, beautiful beaches, ever improving scholastics
5 Year Record
What are the odds that Year 6 will be any different?
  • 2018-19: (3-13) 8-21
  • 2017-18: (1-15) 3-27
  • 2016-17: (2-14) 6-23
  • 2015-16: (5-11) 12-18
  • 1014-15: (8-8) 17-13
Picture30.png
1 x
All In
Michael Andersen

Unread post by All In »

Ramster right on the money! Time to send this abomination of a coach packing! Bringing her back proves that administrators just don’t care about women’s basketball and are not willing to save this program!
It’s not like there will be a miracle next year and she will suddenly turn it around ! Bring in someone like the Duquesne coach. He ran circles around the rhody coach!
1 x
SorrynotSorry
Abdul Fox

Unread post by SorrynotSorry »

And the transfer requests have begun!!! Better start recruiting now as it stands not enuf for a team !! Maybe now admin will do something lots of talent lost sad day for URIWBB
2 x
Phen Egap
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Phen Egap »

Who?
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

CUT BAIT !
5 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Unacceptable.
1 x
GO RAMS
All In
Michael Andersen

Unread post by All In »

The exodus of players begins. Streeter on Twitter bidding adios amigo daniya, colome jetting to sunny Florida and finding a new home and more to follow. Anybody know how many coaches and players have bolted on this toxic coach the last three years? Wrong people leaving! She should get the boot for this disgrace of a program. Anybody in administration have a clue?
1 x
SorrynotSorry
Abdul Fox

3 more today haven’t gotten released yet very sad AD needs to do something NOW!!!!
1 x
Bluebird
Jim Eitner

Unread post by Bluebird »

The time is now! The women’s program needs a new coach. Too many incidents have been covered up, too much talent to have an awful record and players are leaving. Wake up Athletic department before it is too late.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

VCU beats Dayton today in Semi finals
VCU will play the winner of Fordham-Duquesne for the A10 Chanpionship.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Fordham is ROLLING the Dukes early. Currently up 26-9. For all the (well justified) trashing of Fordham men's hoops, their women's team is quite good.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Yes
Fordham actually finished with identical record with VCU
Both finished 13-3 in A10 and 23-8 overall
Fordham list 47-44 to VCU on their own homecourt
So VCU got the tie breaker

Fordham is finishing strong with 10 straight wins. They beat URI by 18 at the Ryan
2 x
All In
Michael Andersen

Unread post by All In »

Fordham is a model of what can be done with the right coaching staff. Prior to the current coach arriving the team struggled thru 5 consecutive 20 plus loss seasons and a history of mediocrity that was abysmal. Sound familiar? The current coaching staff has turned Fordham into a perennial A10 power getting to the NCAA’s with smart recruits and better coaching . Facility and campus wise we have much more to offer. How about poaching their associate head coach? See how fast things get turned around!
2 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

And Fordham women's hoops is going dancing. The lady Rams are the A-10 Tourney Champions.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Fordham beat #1 Seed VCU decisively in the Championship game

https://fordhamsports.com/news/2019/3/1 ... title.aspx
1 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Every time I see a post here I expect it to be the announcement about our coach.....one way or the other....
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
SorrynotSorry
Abdul Fox

No such luck the administration does not care she has a year left in her contract they will never buy her out
1 x
All In
Michael Andersen

Unread post by All In »

A coach can be fired for cause if he or she has broken rules or been caught in misconduct. Don’t necessarily have to buy her out.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

"Ollie" with her head!
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

SorrynotSorry wrote: 5 years ago No such luck the administration does not care she has a year left in her contract they will never buy her out
Her initial contract was for five years which would be up now. Was she given a one year extension?
0 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

I believe the way Thorr set her contract up was that she had a 5 yr contract and an option for a 6th that would be decided after year 1. IF I'm correct, it makes sense that they would have picked up that option after her successful first season. It will be interesting to see what happens, seems like there will be a number of roster spots to fill this offseason!
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I don’t know anything about the women’s program, but I know that if they’d have to pay the coach for next season if they fired her I’d prefer they wait a year. The reality is that the program doesn’t produce enough revenue to justify eating a cost like that, and there is very little chance that the team is going to get good next year no matter who the coach is.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
All In
Michael Andersen

Unread post by All In »

Wicked witch is dead ! Long live Dorothy!!!
1 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

They made the move to let the coach go.....no aspersions needed....
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhodekill
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhodekill »

All In wrote: 5 years ago Wicked witch is dead ! Long live Dorothy!!!

You epitomize everything about classlessness.. A real jerk, you should hope you never get fired
2 x
"What happens next is going to be big and it's going to be beautiful "
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

All In wrote: 5 years ago Fordham is a model of what can be done with the right coaching staff. Prior to the current coach arriving the team struggled thru 5 consecutive 20 plus loss seasons and a history of mediocrity that was abysmal. Sound familiar? The current coaching staff has turned Fordham into a perennial A10 power getting to the NCAA’s with smart recruits and better coaching . Facility and campus wise we have much more to offer. How about poaching their associate head coach? See how fast things get turned around!
Good point. Exciting time now to go out and make a very good hire.
No reason at all that URI should not be in the upper tier of A10 teams. The coaching hire is crucial to accomplishing this. URI needs to do something different with this hire - it’s been a long history of being in the bottom half of quadrant
Beautiful facility and campus
2 x
Bluebird
Jim Eitner

Unread post by Bluebird »

Yes, excellent point. We need a strong coach who can bring in some good recruits and start the rebuilding process! Go Rams!
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I feel like if someone is going to attack or insult an individual publicly here, they need to give some sort of an explanation for it. Again, I know nothing about the women’s program and maybe this is all common knowledge if you’re close to it, but calling someone who just lost their job “the wicked witch” seems pretty low rent. Without any context, it definitely looks like a gratuitous pile-on and a drive-by cheap shot.
2 x
All In
Michael Andersen

Unread post by All In »

True point, you know nothing of what you speaketh and for the damage this coach did to these young women and the university she deserves much worse!
2 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

All In wrote: 5 years ago True point, you know nothing of what you speaketh and for the damage this coach did to these young women and the university she deserves much worse!
TruePoint clearly stated that he knows nothing about the women’s program. Knowing nothing about it myself, I also would like to hear some explanation (other than the poor w/l record) for the hate.
0 x
All In
Michael Andersen

Unread post by All In »

Explanation: Finis
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

All In wrote: 5 years ago Explanation: Finis
I don’t know what that means but I’m running out of patience. Either explain what the beef is or knock it off.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

The extreme turnover in the roster year after year was a tell-tale sign of the dysfunction....but we could have left it at that for all of us to reach our conclusions....I know I did long ago...I just don't like name-calling.....
1 x
SorrynotSorry
Abdul Fox

I congratulate the AD and administration took a while but it was done. Let the new chapter begin!!! I don’t know the policy on what will happen to the girls who have releases for this year Does anybody ? Let’s hope we can keep a few. Now let’s get a strong WINNING coaching staff!!!!! GO RHODY
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

They have the right to stay at Rhode Island....they may wait to see who the new coach is first...
0 x
SorrynotSorry
Abdul Fox

It is my understanding that the girls sign each year at the end of season so as it stands at the end of June they are all free unless they sign when the providence womans coach came in he cleaned house dismissed 3-4 players but were given release without having to sit a year Julia Thissel a strong URI recruit who chose providence was dismissed and found nowhere to go ended up at St A’s d-2 considering what has gone on in this program I hope the new coach keeps some of these girls
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Fresh start all over the hardwood this year for URI.
0 x
GO RAMS
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I hope Thorr goes young. The coaches who come here after being fired elsewhere has not worked. Find an up and coming assistant at a successful program who is a proven recruiter.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

At least one person mentioned Tom Garrick, how about his wife, Shea Ralph? All American at UConn in 2000, assistant coach at Pittsburgh from 2003-08 where they made the tournament her last two years there including the Sweet Sixteen in her final season, then UConn assistant since 2008.
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I know basically nothing about women’s hoops, but just philosophically I think Iggy has the right idea and RR02 has what seems like a reasonable suggestion.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

As of 2015 she had a base salary of about $172,000. This article talks about the potential of taking over her own program a little bit:

https://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-wo ... story.html

For comparison La-Force was making about $185,000. I'd imagine if we want Ralph we'd have to raise that figure slightly and we'd probably have to make a lot of the same type of program enhancements that Hurley was looking for when he first got here. We're about 15 minutes further away from UMass Lowell (where Garrick is the head women's coach) than Storrs is, so that probably wouldn't be an issue
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I would go with someone who has had significant success at a lower level -- D2/D3.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Terrance Mann just hit the game winning shot for FSU over Virginia Tech. The announced how his mother lost her job at Rhode Island this week but hitting that shot would help ease the pain
1 x
All In
Michael Andersen

Unread post by All In »

Mann hits game winner? What does that have to do with the price of tea in China? Could care less. Mom left this program in shambles and that is the only thing she should be judged on. Ralph coming to UConn has learned from the best. Culture at UConn second to none. They take no juco players or transfers and that says a lot. Geno took over a nothing program and turned it into the icon of women’s college basketball. The question is can you find another young Geno out there somewhere? It can be done at URI with the right person.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

All In wrote: 5 years ago Mann hits game winner? What does that have to do with the price of tea in China? Could care less. Mom left this program in shambles and that is the only thing she should be judged on. Ralph coming to UConn has learned from the best. Culture at UConn second to none. They take no juco players or transfers and that says a lot. Geno took over a nothing program and turned it into the icon of women’s college basketball. The question is can you find another young Geno out there somewhere? It can be done at URI with the right person.
It’s only applicable in that on National TV (or Internatinal in this day and age of streaming) the University of Rhode Island was mentioned on a ACC Tournament Telecast of FSU and Virginia Tech in the exciting OT. And during the greatest week in College Basketball leading up to Selection Sunday!!
Maybe from a positive note we got some free advertising that there is an opening at URI?
Thought it was worth mentioning that’s all.

Don’t see how this has nothing to do with a Nationwide Coaching Search that is in motion now. To me any level of National publicity helps.

This should be a happy time for URI women’s basketball fans. A chance for a new beginning. I’d like to see URI search nationwide and not just locally. A nice example is women’s Softball where we are recruiting California, Texas among many states. Think big - now is the time!
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

We don't need another Geno....just someone who can get URI into the top half or third of the A10 on a consistent basis.

If Fordham can do it, we sure should be able to.
1 x
All In
Michael Andersen

Unread post by All In »

Got you ramster, good point. Rambone I said a “a young Geno” not the god that exists at UConn today. There are 10 young genos out there just waiting to be discovered and given their chance. Daniya obviously wasn’t one of them.
0 x