3/9 | Massachusetts | 4:00PM (ESPN+) Senior Day

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: 3/9 | Massachusetts | 4:00PM (ESPN+) Senior Day

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Yep I was working and nope I'm not the doombone of old.

I've mellowed a little just like TP has, and we're all better for it lol.

I saw the halftime score and said to no one in particular......who are those guys? Sorry stole that line from Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid....

Hey I'm happy things have seemed to completely turn around. Who expected this after that 7 of 8 loss stretch?

Just don't look past LaSalle Thursday and give VCU hell...….

Looking at next season in a totally different light now.

We might have the best core 3 in the Atlantic 10....add improvement from this year's freshmen plus the newbies.... and we should be a solid top 4 and a definite NCAA at large candidate.

Now carry on.....P.S. I've said this before, but this turnaround coincided with TJ being on the bench....the guy was a sparkplug when he played, and he still is! This guy needs an assistant job next year!
Last edited by rambone 78 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
6 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Now that was fun. First win to see in person since December. Where was this Rhody team for the previous two months?

A big crowd finally got to go home happy this year.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

It is amazing to think that any team could lose on its own home court to this UMass squad. They however apparently did win one road game back in the OOC portion of their schedule. From what I understand it was right here in the state of RI.
Last edited by RF1 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We ended up only 2 games worse than my prediction of 18-12.

Think Duquesne and Fordham.....there's the 2 most inexcusable losses right there.

It's OK now though...and we wouldn't have gotten the double bye even if we had won both.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Ryan Preston has shown the last two games that he can help this team. Maybe he had a point.
6 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If Preston can keep giving us quality minutes, that's an added dimension this team hasn't had all year.

That's what it will take to compete in NY. Especially since Tate and Harris are struggling.
2 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

That was fun. Great atmosphere, large crowd considering students are on break.

Up-tempo Runnin' Ram offense was refreshing (especially first half). 68% FG for the game...what??????????!!!!!!!!!!!
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago Ryan Preston has shown the last two games that he can help this team. Maybe he had a point.

I'm beginning to think he did.
Get the guy on the court.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I just want to make a point about Fatts. He was a lightning rod at times this year (and deservedly so, probably), and obviously he’s been better lately. But it’s actually amazing how much better he’s been.

In the four games where we felt like this thing was bottoming out and even the most optimistic fans lost hope (@Davidaon, Dayton, Fordham and @VCU), Fatts averaged 4.4 pts, 3.3 assists and 0.5 steals. In the five games since (Davidson (which was a loss but I considered the turning point even as I sat in the stands watching it - check the thread), GW, @Dayton, @Joe and UMass), he’s averaged 23.4 / 4.0 / 4.0(!). Those are not huge samples, but they’re not small, either. I don’t know if it’s fair to say that this is the guy we thought we would get all year, or that we should expect to get it every game going forward - he’s be a lottery pick if that was true. But he’s definitely capable of doing it in spurts, and that he can do it in spurts makes us really dangerous - not just in Brooklyn but for the next couple years. This kid getting right is huge for us.
6 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow what a fun game to watch from start to finish we killed those guys

What can you say about Fatts playing with so much confidence scoring the ball like he can

Cyril being a beast 10-11 field in 28 minutes

Ride the wave in Brooklyn and see how far we can go
1 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Team looked great last night with everyone contributing. Preston looked really solid out there; looks like he's going to help us going into A10 tourney. That gives us some much needed depth. Trying not to get crazy optimistic about A10 tourney but we're looking pretty darn good right now. Whatever happens, the team has turned it around from a very tough stretch, and the coach and team deserve a lot of credit for turning it around.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Still only 4 pages smh
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

That was a fun one. Hopefully David Cox's undefeated March will continue. Credit to all. Fatts is a completely different player. He is the most dramatic improver, but I think Dowtin and Cyril improved too.

It seems to me that aside from the improvement by those top players, the rest of the team just started playing basketball without thinking much. For awhile their facial expressions and body language seemed like they were frustrated because the game wasn't going that player's way. Then they just played hard and it all came together.
4 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

To be fair there isn’t a page and a half of ECR saying “CUT BAIT!”

Just kidding ECR. I do love your passion especially on game day!
6 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago Still only 4 pages smh
You have to stop with this. It’s such a dumb take.

First, most of the pages of long game threads are posts made during the game, so when most of the board is at the game you’re going to have many fewer total posts.

Second, there is not a type of game less likely to produce a ton of post-game reaction than a blowout win. That’s not unique to this board or this fan base. That is a universal truth about the internet and human nature in general. There are only so many ways to say “that was awesome, I’m really happy!” Losses open the door for people to vent and nit pick in a way that wins never will. Just get used to it or you’re going to be making this complaint over and over again.

If you want to judge the fan base today, judge it on the fact that yesterday a .500 team drew 7000 fans to a game that was meaningless in the standings, I believe making it the third best attended season in program history even though it was not a great season, basketball-wise. Don’t judge it based on the number of posts here.
9 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Have you considered making 4 more pages worth of posts scolding everyone and telling them how great you are and how dumb everyone else is? I'm sure everyone would enjoy more of that!
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I haven't gotten my voice back from the game yesterday, so it's tough to post today.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Ok I’ll bite

Thread post padding...

I was

Wrong

About

The

Weave

:)
3 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

All fans going to Brooklyn should show up wearing a weave in honor of the weave.
4 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......the weave......Me thinks we like it more when the shots go in......
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago

First, most of the pages of long game threads are posts made during the game, so when most of the board is at the game you’re going to have many fewer total posts.

Second, there is not a type of game less likely to produce a ton of post-game reaction than a blowout win. That’s not unique to this board or this fan base. That is a universal truth about the internet and human nature in general. There are only so many ways to say “that was awesome, I’m really happy!” Losses open the door for people to vent and nit pick in a way that wins never will. Just get used to it or you’re going to be making this complaint over and over again.

If you want to judge the fan base today, judge it on the fact that yesterday a .500 team drew 7000 fans to a game that was meaningless in the standings, I believe making it the third best attended season in program history even though it was not a great season, basketball-wise. Don’t judge it based on the number of posts here.
The first take, is a BS take imo. TP, and that is with all due respect.

We listen to people recite the same shit for 8 pages when we lose and play arm chair coach, but when we win, and start to turn the tide, those same folks, the “diehards”, have nothing to say.

I want those same folk to flood the board with due praise with the same energy they do when we lose.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

adam914 wrote: 5 years ago
Have you considered making 4 more pages worth of posts scolding everyone and telling them how great you are and how dumb everyone else is? I'm sure everyone would enjoy more of that!
Duly noted.

I am great.

Some of you suck.

That feels better.
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Fun way to end the season - wish we had turned the corner sooner because we would have had a decent shot at the NIT.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago

The first take, is a BS take imo. TP, and that is with all due respect.

We listen to people recite the same shit for 8 pages when we lose and play arm chair coach, but when we win, and start to turn the tide, those same folks, the “diehards”, have nothing to say.

I want those same folk to flood the board with due praise with the same energy they do when we lose.
It just isn’t going to happen like that. If you don’t like that, I can’t blame you. I don’t love it either. But you really should accept it. I’m here rain or shine; I love talking Rhody hoops, and I like talking about wins as much or more than I like bitching about losses. But I’m not everyone, and lots of people only think to come here when they are stewing mad and need an outlet for it. Having said that, there are only one or two true shitposters that you can count on only showing themselves here at the one or two lowest moments of the season, and otherwise you won’t hear from them. Everyone knows who those guys are, and that’s why nobody respects their opinions. The rest of our posters are good fans, whether I agree with them every time or not, and in my opinion they aren’t less of fans because they make one post proclaiming their satisfaction with a game rather than posting the same thing over and over. Actually, I appreciate that approach very much lol
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

rhodylaw wrote: 5 years ago Fun way to end the season - wish we had turned the corner sooner because we would have had a decent shot at the NIT.
......get to the semifinals and?......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Fun game yesterday...good to see theblueram, atp, rhodyrudder, tswift. Will scoring was great, but the Fatts dunk was one of the awesomest things I saw all year. All those times he's tried and been denied, I hated it, because it seemed like he coulda just laid it in the hoop. But then yesterday, as he's breaking away, I looked back...he looked back...and I was like, 'could this be it??!!'...and when he stuffed it home...great moment. (And a huge plug for why they need to get replay on the big screen...who wouldn't want to see that during the TO?...)

Hopefully, there's cause to connect again next weekend.
5 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

That was a very fun game to attend/watch! The Big 3 are running on all cylinders, but if we want to make it far in the tourney others will need to step up, such as Preston did yesterday.

I know Harris is injured, but posters have alluded to other freshman fighting injuries...who else is injured? I thought I heard Tate was playing though something...Is Martin too?

I understand where DC is coming from on the number of posts after wins...I certainly have posted more after losses and I think its a matter of all the bad emotions and the desire to figure out what is wrong and fix it and commiserate with your fellow fans who want it fixed. As the old adage goes...Misery loves company. When things are going well...how many follow up posts are there going to be after you say great game?
Last edited by RIFan 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

RIFan wrote: 5 years ago That was a very fun game to attend/watch! The Big 3 are running on all cylinders, but if we want to make it far in the tourney others will need to step ups, such as Preston did yesterday.

I know Harris is injured, but posters have alluded to other freshman fighting injuries...who else is injured? I thought I heard Tate was playing though something...Is Martin too?

I understand where DC is coming from on the number of posts after wins...I certainly have posted more after losses and I think its a matter of all the bad emotions and the desire to figure out what is wrong and fix it and commiserate with your fellow fans who want it fixed. As the old adage goes...Misery loves company. When things are going well...how many follow up posts are there going to be after you say great game?

Both guys (but especially Tate) looked a little hobbled yesterday.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago
adam914 wrote: 5 years ago
Duly noted.

I am great.

Some of you suck.

That feels better.
There you go!
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 5 years ago
RIFan wrote: 5 years ago That was a very fun game to attend/watch! The Big 3 are running on all cylinders, but if we want to make it far in the tourney others will need to step ups, such as Preston did yesterday.

Both guys (but especially Tate) looked a little hobbled yesterday.
Thanks!
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

ATPTourFan wrote: 5 years ago Cut bait?!?????

ATP / i make no apologies for being fired up for what I was seeing on the court / none.

I would also pick rick pitino over David Cox any day of the week

I would also GLADLY admit if I am wrong about DC and fatts

To me the jury is still out - but let’s enjoy this ride while we are at it

I am glad I was hard on DC and FATTS - they needed some riding and glad they both responded !

I am not ready to call my new baby FATTS tho - LOL

GO RHODY
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Drove home in the ice and snow today, but that game yesterday made it a whole lot easier to take . the team is on an
absolute roll right now . If they can keep it up they have an excellent chance to blow through Lasalle and then beat VCU
as well . The big question is can they keep it going all the way to the A 10 championship and beyond . a crazy thought ?
I for one don't think so, but one game at a time. Next up is Lasalle at Noon Thursday.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 5 years ago
ATPTourFan wrote: 5 years ago Cut bait?!?????

ATP / i make no apologies for being fired up for what I was seeing on the court / none.

I would also pick rick pitino over David Cox any day of the week

I would also GLADLY admit if I am wrong about DC and fatts

To me the jury is still out - but let’s enjoy this ride while we are at it

I am glad I was hard on DC and FATTS - they needed some riding and glad they both responded !

I am not ready to call my new baby FATTS tho - LOL

GO RHODY

I’m sure your posts are what motivated Cox and Fatts to step up their coaching / play.
8 x
Go Rhody
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

Imagine if all those laws of averages and reverting back to the mean now go in our favor and we win the national championship?
1 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Rhody15 beat me to it. Take a lap, ecr.
1 x
mjg13x
Jeff Kent

Unread post by mjg13x »

15 Year Lurker wrote: 5 years ago Imagine if all those laws of averages and reverting back to the mean now go in our favor and we win the national championship?
Wouldn't that be the greatest upset of all time!
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

It isn’t too far fetched that we could win this thing...I feel like if we win one, we run the gauntlet...or we just lose Thursday.
2 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

It's a tossup whether Fatts' dunk or him taking it to the Man Mountain is my favorite play of the season. That comes at the :35 mark:

For those keeping score at home, it's 5-foot-8 160 pounds vs. 6-foot-11 310+ pounds! :shock:

I'm so glad my nephew, a Michigan grad, got to see us at our best. That's the Fatts who blew away Reggie Miller last year. :D
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I'd put Holloway at closer to 4 bills than 3.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Fatts throwing his weight around. The hoop, the harm and take a seat Holloway.
1 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

total double dribble there by Cyril in these highlights lol
great game though and great run, we've gone from nearly unwatchable to completely enthralling. I love it!
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

It's a lot easier to laugh at the banter on the board when we're winning.
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago Fatts throwing his weight around. The hoop, the harm and take a seat Holloway.
Bucket for Fatts, foul on fats.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

It almost feels like '17 again after the Fordham debacle. Like the switch has been turned on again. Would be great to repeat that performance. I'm sure Jeff and Cyril would agree.
3 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Were there Baron ppl that showed up to critique URI fans like these posters in recent years? Strange.

I don't usually post for home games that I am at, which I generally bookend with food/beer. Sorry DC. Get a ticket and have a smile.
4 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 5 years ago Were there Baron ppl that showed up to critique URI fans like these posters in recent years? Strange.

I don't usually post for home games that I am at, which I generally bookend with food/beer. Sorry DC. Get a ticket and have a smile.
must be a new dynamic. Hurley and now Cox. Strange indeed.
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

RhodyKyle wrote: 5 years ago Rhody15 beat me to it. Take a lap, ecr.
Ha - that was tongue in cheek !
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

I’m thinking I’ll be in BK Saturday and Sunday? I hope I am at least...
3 x