Major NCAA Recruiting FBI Investigation

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: Major NCAA Recruiting FBI Investigation

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

It’s baaaaaaack!!!

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Miami HC Jim L and this kid’s attorney have been spouting off what a travesty it is that he wasn held out by the NCAA from playing to start this season and that he was expected to start playing as soon as the NCAA came out with its official findings. Not so fast Jim L. The NCAA findings are for him to sit the entire year and 40% of next year.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Reags from Barstool did an interesting article 2 weeks ago about how "Kansas is preparing to formally acknowledge to the NCAA that a violation took place, declare (Silvio) De Sousa ineligible and ask for his immediate reinstatement. According to the NCAA's matrix regarding infractions, an improper payment of $2,500 most likely would yield a penalty that the player is suspending for 30 percent of the team's season. Kansas has played 16 games, which means De Sousa has already exceeded that timeline." Shows out desperate these slime balls are.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Dewan Hernandez just announced he is dropping out of school to prepare for the 2019 draft.
He signed with an agent (Chris Dawkins) to receive monthly payments while still in college.
His argument was that he never received any payments. Probably because the FBI arrested Dawkins.

I hope the NCAA starts increasing the penalties on these type of issues for the players and schools if they were involved.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Arizona is screwed. Or should be.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Miller seems like a slippery dude. I can see him coming out of this unscathed. Didn’t he make some big proclamation about his innocence? Said he’d give his salary back or something if they ever caught him on something?
0 x
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

ATPTourFan wrote: 5 years ago
hard to imagine they are going to keep that #1 recruiting class in tact.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I feel Sean Miller should be fired . He is the head coach and is ultimately responsible for his rogue assistants doing shady stuff

If Pitino got fired so should Miller
2 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Dewan Hernandez just announced he is dropping out of school to prepare for the 2019 draft.
He signed with an agent (Chris Dawkins) to receive monthly payments while still in college.
His argument was that he never received any payments. Probably because the FBI arrested Dawkins.

I hope the NCAA starts increasing the penalties on these type of issues for the players and schools if they were involved.
Yeah, right. The NCAA has one job: Don’t piss off the cartel.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Rules literally say head coaches are responsible for actions of their assistants.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Oopsies!
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ATPTourFan wrote: 5 years ago Rules literally say head coaches are responsible for actions of their assistants.
Wrong version. Need to check P5 version rules.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Fire Sean Miller shady !!!
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I bet 'zona would hire Rick
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Hah 208....Arizona is going to get whacked...P5 or not.....

Good ole Ricky isn't going anywhere where he can't go to the postseason.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Wade better get in trouble for this. Seems head coaches rarely do.
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I wonder if there is more to it when Jon Rothstein tweets "Will Wade. American Gangster"

0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Wonder if Preston Murphy's name will resurface...

0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 5 years ago Wonder if Preston Murphy's name will resurface...

Yup
Attachments
37710C4D-2B06-48F7-9B00-25E0C6E43081.jpeg
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Not Preston. No.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
steviep123
Sly Williams

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago
SmartyBarrett wrote: 5 years ago Wonder if Preston Murphy's name will resurface...

Yup
Say it ain’t so P-Murph
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

This was reported quite a while ago.

The "bribe" was 100K.

Not a good look for Murphy...getting a D1 HC job might never happen, although he was probably only doing what he was told to do by McDermott.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

His name's been kicking around when it comes to this stuff for a while. Where there's smoke there's fire.
3 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago This was reported quite a while ago.

The "bribe" was 100K.

Not a good look for Murphy...getting a D1 HC job might never happen, although he was probably only doing what he was told to do by McDermott.
Let's hope he was doing Mcdermott's dirty work and that this was his first involvement in this kind of thing...
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

The problem with a lot of things is that the only people who've faced any trouble are the people who are directly involved. Chuck Person was indicted, but that never bled over to Bruce Pearl (Auburn). That's different from someone like Pitino, who was directly linked and subsequently fired. These names were all leaked because they were the individuals directly responsible for working with guys like Dawkins. It's possible that these are all green lighted by the head coach. It's possible the assistants were rogue trying to boost their own stock by landing marquee recruits. It'll be interesting to see what happens because it's certainly funny watching LSU come out of no where to be a Top 10 team, knowing that their coach is as dirty as they come based on all of the wire tap audio.
0 x
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

This looks like a new revelation about Murphy that came out yesterday. However the Wade news mostly overshadowed it so it seems most people are unaware.

https://news.yahoo.com/sources-creighto ... 59696.html

"Sources told Yahoo Sports the assistant coaches involved are Preston Murphy of Creighton and Corey Barker of TCU. Neither have been charged nor are they expected to be charged with any crimes.

In a superseding indictment, prosecutors allege that Dawkins paid $6,000 to an assistant from each school in separate incidents during July 28, 2017, meetings inside a Las Vegas hotel room. An undercover FBI agent was also present."

Having read this and some other stuff about him like how he has been trying to get guys from his hometown area in MI deals. I hate to say this but we at least have to consider that he was doing this at URI. Same with WW at VCU. Cheaters usually don't just suddenly start cheating all of a sudden.

E.C Matthews and Jordan Hare would be the obvious one as a Murphy recruit who might have been a bit out our league at the time otherwise. Both had pretensions of an NBA career obviously. Both are from, or near Murphys hometown where according to all the info we have it seems he has used his connections to sell influence at the least. Obviously none of this is proof but it's hard to argue it does not fit the profile.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Count me out in trying to read into the situation any URI wrongdoing.
2 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 5 years ago Count me out in trying to read into the situation any URI wrongdoing.
It's not so much the possibility of URI wrongdoing. but Preston Murphy's wrongdoing, something that seems near proven to me. The question is if he was doing these things back during his time at URI or not.

If nothing else it makes you look at things that happened in the past and possibly evaluate them differently. Maybe rumours of shady things is why he left URI and Hurley/Admin did not fight much to keep him on board.

Maybe i am recalling wrong but it did seem like in his last recruiting cycle or two here he suddenly stopped being mentioned with recruits and the other assistants seemed to take over?
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

The problem with that is that I don't think agents or dirty shoe reps are giving money to coaches to try to acquire fringe Top 75-Top 100 talent. They are giving money to assistants in order for the assistant to land a certain type of player and hopefully over time exert influence on who he works with during his professional career. All of the players mentioned have all pretty much been borderline 5-star players, anywhere from #1 in their class to maybe #40. If you look at the players mentioned during Will Wade's wire taps, it was Balsa Koprivica (who was a top 10 recruit at the time of conversation) and Javontae Smart (a top 15 recruit at the time of these conversations). Guys like Ayton or Quinerly at Arizona, you are talking about 5-star players.

Is it possible that because they were Top 75-Top 100 players, Murphy slid the families a few dollars to help swing an opinion. After all, bringing someone like Mathews to URI was considered a major win for Murphy and Hurley at that time, a real resume builder. It's possible, but I think it's really a stretch.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Where I think the problem is with EGram’s theory is that I basically assign no agency (pardon the pun) to the assistant coaches in these situations. They’re go-betweens for the head coach. I don’t believe assistants are out there doing these kinds of deals on their own. So if an assistant was doing something at one place, I don’t think you can assume that he was doing it somewhere else. A head coach, I’d assume that he’s doing the same stuff everywhere he goes. (As a side point on the P Murph thing, who the hell was going to pay anyone anything for a guy to come to URI in 2011? This place was a certified dumpster fire - even if a shoe company wanted to direct a player to one of their schools, it sure as hell wouldn’t have been this school at that time.)
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

I don't know, I think most programs know who is playing in the clean pool and who is playing in the dirty pool. I know once upon a time, PC was recruiting a player who requested a house and $175K to come play at PC. That player ended up at Kentucky. Those top programs know how to get families money. Even Coach K/Duke has flirted with that line. Players who end up with 100k in jewelery, family members who come from nothing to get 6-figure jobs/houses. The coaching fraternity knows this is going on, they aren't stupid. They know when they are recruiting a player and what he demands that he's going to get it somewhere. It's not even so much about the school -- they know what assistants are linked with that player. That's the difference between recruiting in the kiddy pool and in the ocean. You know in the ocean there are sharks. I don't think people exchanging hundreds of thousands are doing it without the knowledge of their head coach, but someone sliding over a few thousand dollars, they can pull that from their own pocket. The long-term payoff of landing a few top guys more than offsets a $5K-$10K payout, at least until you get caught. Again, I don't think that happened, but it wouldn't surprise me if anyone was caught for that.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Here we go.

3 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Woah now its real.
0 x
GO RAMS
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

I think the EC recruitment was more along the lines of promising Nate Oats a job on Bobby Hurley’s staff if he was able to deliver EC.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

STC wrote: 5 years ago I think the EC recruitment was more along the lines of promising Nate Oats a job on Bobby Hurley’s staff if he was able to deliver EC.
EC committed to URI on 9/22/2012. Bobby accepted Buffalo on 3/26/2013. Why would Nate Oats push a player to URI on a promise that had no time frame? Bobby, Dan, and Nate had a relationship dating back to 2010 when the Hurley's were at Wagner.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Preston left URI for a couple of reasons....the biggest is which was money, he more than doubled his salary at BC...and he had issues with Jim Carr…

URI/Thorr tried to keep him here by offering him a raise, but they couldn't come close to what BC was offering.

I seriously doubt any hanky panky was going on here.
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

0 x
Slava Ukraini!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Sad to hear this....of course Preston is likely to be made a scapegoat...….

Rod would have been very unhappy to hear this news.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 5 years ago I don't know, I think most programs know who is playing in the clean pool and who is playing in the dirty pool. I know once upon a time, PC was recruiting a player who requested a house and $175K to come play at PC. That player ended up at Kentucky. Those top programs know how to get families money. Even Coach K/Duke has flirted with that line. Players who end up with 100k in jewelery, family members who come from nothing to get 6-figure jobs/houses. The coaching fraternity knows this is going on, they aren't stupid. They know when they are recruiting a player and what he demands that he's going to get it somewhere. It's not even so much about the school -- they know what assistants are linked with that player. That's the difference between recruiting in the kiddy pool and in the ocean. You know in the ocean there are sharks. I don't think people exchanging hundreds of thousands are doing it without the knowledge of their head coach, but someone sliding over a few thousand dollars, they can pull that from their own pocket. The long-term payoff of landing a few top guys more than offsets a $5K-$10K payout, at least until you get caught. Again, I don't think that happened, but it wouldn't surprise me if anyone was caught for that.
I agree with some of this (the part about teams knowing who is doing what and who they’re recruiting against), but as far as assistants paying their own cash for players, I’m not saying that doesn’t happen but it is different from the way I understand how this system works - which is that the shoe companies provide the cash to the programs, and the programs then give it to the players and their families/handlers. In that paradigm, it’s hard to imagine an assistant making calls that the head coach doesn’t know about and direct. Maybe I’m wrong on that, but that’s my sense of it.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Of course TP. McDermott is most likely guilty as hell here.

And Preston is going to take the fall, and very likely his coaching career will be in jeopardy.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Also breaking news Mark Gottfried supposedly knowingly paid money to Dennis Smith Sr at NC state
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago Sad to hear this....of course Preston is likely to be made a scapegoat...….

Rod would have been very unhappy to hear this news.
Really!! Did you read the part where he has had a lengthy relationship with Dawkins? Obviously he knew exactly what he was doing and will get his due reward. I liked Preston Murphy also and was bamboozled into thinking he was this great recruiter. Jordan Hare definitely makes sense now. Still would like to think EC Mathews was not involved in any way as he seemed like really nice kid but probably just being naive.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago
rjsuperfly66 wrote: 5 years ago I don't know, I think most programs know who is playing in the clean pool and who is playing in the dirty pool. I know once upon a time, PC was recruiting a player who requested a house and $175K to come play at PC. That player ended up at Kentucky. Those top programs know how to get families money. Even Coach K/Duke has flirted with that line. Players who end up with 100k in jewelery, family members who come from nothing to get 6-figure jobs/houses. The coaching fraternity knows this is going on, they aren't stupid. They know when they are recruiting a player and what he demands that he's going to get it somewhere. It's not even so much about the school -- they know what assistants are linked with that player. That's the difference between recruiting in the kiddy pool and in the ocean. You know in the ocean there are sharks. I don't think people exchanging hundreds of thousands are doing it without the knowledge of their head coach, but someone sliding over a few thousand dollars, they can pull that from their own pocket. The long-term payoff of landing a few top guys more than offsets a $5K-$10K payout, at least until you get caught. Again, I don't think that happened, but it wouldn't surprise me if anyone was caught for that.
I agree with some of this (the part about teams knowing who is doing what and who they’re recruiting against), but as far as assistants paying their own cash for players, I’m not saying that doesn’t happen but it is different from the way I understand how this system works - which is that the shoe companies provide the cash to the programs, and the programs then give it to the players and their families/handlers. In that paradigm, it’s hard to imagine an assistant making calls that the head coach doesn’t know about and direct. Maybe I’m wrong on that, but that’s my sense of it.
I think, based on what I read and heard from the court cases last year, that the shoe companies also gave money to the kids directly after talking to the coaches. That sleaze ball Jim Gatto was the delivery guy showing up to AAU games literally with a duffle bag full of cash.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I guess it is true that even if Preston was getting instructions from his head coach to do these things, that he knew this was wrong.....and could get caught at some point....he should have stayed away from Dawkins.....

I doubt anything was going on with the EC recruitment though. That means Dan might have been involved? Right now I refuse to believe any of that.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......I guess at this point it is all about following the smoke to the fire.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
steviep123
Sly Williams

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago Preston left URI for a couple of reasons....the biggest is which was money, he more than doubled his salary at BC...and he had issues with Jim Carr…

URI/Thorr tried to keep him here by offering him a raise, but they couldn't come close to what BC was offering.

I seriously doubt any hanky panky was going on here.
That’s my recollection too.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!