3/5 | Saint Joseph’s | 7:00PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: 3/5 | Saint Joseph’s | 7:00PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by ramster »

hrstrat57 wrote: 5 years ago
DanInAZ wrote: 5 years ago I never doubted..
So far DaninAZ wins fan of the year award in my book. Especially if this team rides this wave to the A10 final.

No doubt. Your impassioned post during our lowest of lows has not escaped this Rhody grads selective amnesia.

If we finish the tourney with a strong showing I smell a NIT home game!

Unthinkable 2 weeks ago.

Incredible coaching by Cox. I’d love to know the backstory on what buttons were pushed along with all the hard work fixing some sloppy individual technique.

This team could actually run the table.

Thorr slept good last night for sure.

Looking forward to Saturday at the RC.

Need to crush, absolutely crush Massachusetts
Regarding Thor: Except for the nightmarish loss by the URI Women's Team to Duquesne in Pittsburgh A10 Tournament :oops: :oops:
1 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

4 x
Common sense is not common.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

RhodyRams12 wrote: 5 years ago
That’s awesome. Good job TJ!
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Since TJ has been on the bench URI is 3-0....hmmmm
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

hrstrat57 wrote: 5 years ago If this team finishes strong as I describe Thorr still needs to call the core boosters for help. Not to buy out the coaching staff but:

-sign contracts for Tootell conversion
-100% private flights for team (already improved)
-Give Cox a raise and more dough for staff

I’ve never seen a more remarkable basketball flip flop...

Perhaps the toxic takes here on the forums helped in a twisted way? Perhaps “the tweet” was the catalyst for digging deep?

The high post offense has been killer this group really is moving. Eliminate the “point guard” and have both guards in attack mode! 64 points from the starting guards. Has to be a record? Somebody look up how many Silk had when TG hit for 50 at the RAC, I gotta run at the moment.

Go Rhody
We scored 104 that day, so I assume Silk had more than 14. That team scored over 100 several times that year.I wish I could find some box scores. They lit up the scoreboard like a pinball machine.
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

That is what it takes. Over 60 points between the two of them and the team squeaks it out in OT.

I thought Langevine could have played better. A handful of rebounds went over his head and gave Joes second chance points. He was playing with 4 fouls? He did good with that.

They have really faced some adversity over the past 6 weeks.

Both guards have to hunt their shot going to the basket all game. Full speed and not shying away from contact. They will inspire better play from the rest of the team that way.

How about Harris scrambling to contest some threeballs last night!? Guy is fast and hustles his tail off. It is surprising he is so good moving side to side and fast but cant jump off the floor.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Harris has a fairly severe case of plantar fasciitis....if you've ever had that, you can't jump very well.

He will be better at that next season.

P. S. I had PF...of course I could never jump very well to begin with, but that's beside the point.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 5 years ago That is what it takes. Over 60 points between the two of them and the team squeaks it out in OT.

I thought Langevine could have played better. A handful of rebounds went over his head and gave Joes second chance points. He was playing with 4 fouls? He did good with that.

They have really faced some adversity over the past 6 weeks.

Both guards have to hunt their shot going to the basket all game. Full speed and not shying away from contact. They will inspire better play from the rest of the team that way.

How about Harris scrambling to contest some threeballs last night!? Guy is fast and hustles his tail off. It is surprising he is so good moving side to side and fast but cant jump off the floor.

I think I'd like to see us rest Harris for the UMass game.
Preston held his own just fine against the Hawks.

Let him rest up and heal up for the A-10 tournament.
0 x
Rammgr
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Rammgr »

I would think Preston would at least start the Umass game on senior day.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Preston imo is also a better option at the 4 then CT....at least for a few minutes.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago Harris has a fairly severe case of plantar fasciitis....if you've ever had that, you can't jump very well.

He will be better at that next season.

P. S. I had PF...of course I could never jump very well to begin with, but that's beside the point.
I had it pretty bad. When I got out of bed in the morning, I couldn't walk. I got a cortisone shot for it right in the heel. The shot hurt like hell, but 2 days later the plantar fasciitis was gone and never came back.
2 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 5 years ago
we "rhode" fatts last night but our freshmen had another subpar night (going off total points)

like i said tho.. i only caught the glorious ending.. and not the entire game
Ecr there were large spells last nite when none of the 3 fresh were even on the floor, in fact I can't remember any of them playing in ot...

That certainly bodes well for the future if they can continue to gel!
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

For those of you who are now criticizing the criticizors, please keep in mind that the prior criticism may have ignited the fire that caused the turnaround in the first place. Just a thought. You never know.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 5 years ago

Blue, the behavior is toxic nonetheless. They are knee jerk and apocalyptic every time things don’t go the way we envision in our mind. That is how processes work bro....you run through them, refining, revamping until it eventually works. It’s never pretty, but every new install requires a reboot...or two, or three.

And Fatts is just a SOPHMORE. Let that sink in.
I'm not disagreeing with you, but by existence message boards are toxic. It would be complete irony and falsehood if a bunch of people from the Northeast, specifically Rhode Island, only came on the internet to anonymously talk about how great things were. That's not who we are. If you're happy all the time you are most certainly not from New England. Us being skeptical and negative is why we're never scammed by nigerian princes, leave the dumb happiness to the poor hapless souls in the midwest.

Just come up here and listen to sportstalk radio and you wouldn't even be sure that the Patriots just won their 6th super bowl or the Sox another World Series title.

We are a negative people. It's what makes us enjoy winning so much because we live in the primordial ooze of everyday negativity.

I commend you for being one of the few beacons of hope throughout the year - lord knows it was me and a few others doing the yeoman's work the last few seasons when things turned to doo doo.

To be fair to all of us, before last week we were in the midst of the most horrible season long shooting performance by any URI team or player in history. It's a little tough to call in "knee-jerk" when we were staring at 80% of a season's worth of evidence. The criticism and doubts were completely fair as new head coaches are always put in the "prove it" stage, especially trying to follow in the footsteps of one of the best coaches in the history of the program.

Credit completely due to Cox for sticking to his guns, and for pushing whatever buttons he's pushed the last week. Hopefully this continues and the season ends on an extremely high note.

Closing the season on a 5 or 6 (or more??) game win streak would completely change how all of us will have viewed this season had it ended a week ago.

That's sports I guess. Shits crazy.
I respect that, and I am not from the area, so perhaps the dynamics are different. I just hate hearing and seeing it come from you, of all people. Seeing you turn your back on the team and staff numerous times before the season ended, imo, is knee-jerk. It’s not a sprint, it’s a marathon.

But let’s move on, and cheer these boys on for one final push. They need us now more than ever. They feel when we don’t have their back, as Fatts and JD have both alluded to....they deserve better from all of us. We know now what they all are capable of, just need to put it all together.
Agreed. We are a unique bunch. I wouldn't wish it on anyone lol.

To be fair I've never turned my back on the team. I've for sure expressed extreme frustration at certain players and coaches who imho gave up and had stopped trying.

I've been in my seats at Keaney and the Ryan Center through much worse seasons and stretches than this, and never wavered once. The one thing I, and I'm assuming a lot of the fans on here, have a problem with is lack of effort.

We're a historically disappointing program with long stretches of woefullness punctuated by brief amazing periods of greatness. The fans who are on this message board (which formed during the darkest stretch in program history back in the Projo days), are the ones who care the most.

Because I care as much as I do, my one ask is that the players who play for the university care (or at least look like they care) as much as I do. I don't think that's an unreasonable ask.

We knew this year was up and down. I think as a message board our expectations were reasonable.

There was a period where it looked like our on the court product seemed, acted, played, and coached like it did not care. That's why you saw such negative reactions.

I'm sure you remember the post I had on the PC thread (that I think you're alluding to) where I lost my shit. In compete honesty I played a game with myself where I chugged a glass of red every time Fatts missed a shot. We had to go out for more wine by halftime. So that was much more of a mess than I even intended it to be.

I also think I've been clear that I still had faith Cox could figure it out next year - it didn't change my frustration at what I was seeing.

You are right though, we're all on the same team - and we're all a special kind of crazy if we're on this message board. Looking forward to a hell of a week and a half, and if you show up in Brooklyn I'll be happy to buy you a beer.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

KevanBoyles wrote: 5 years ago For those of you who are now criticizing the criticizors, please keep in mind that the prior criticism may have ignited the fire that caused the turnaround in the first place. Just a thought. You never know.
uh oh

I can hear the Jim Baron 2.0 gang now :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago
KevanBoyles wrote: 5 years ago For those of you who are now criticizing the criticizors, please keep in mind that the prior criticism may have ignited the fire that caused the turnaround in the first place. Just a thought. You never know.
uh oh

I can hear the Jim Baron 2.0 gang now :lol: :lol: :lol:
hahahahaha, nah....Im no where near delusional enough to think anything said on a message board makes even .00001% difference to a sports team
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I'm not disagreeing with you, but by existence message boards are toxic. It would be complete irony and falsehood if a bunch of people from the Northeast, specifically Rhode Island, only came on the internet to anonymously talk about how great things were. That's not who we are. If you're happy all the time you are most certainly not from New England. Us being skeptical and negative is why we're never scammed by nigerian princes, leave the dumb happiness to the poor hapless souls in the midwest.

Just come up here and listen to sportstalk radio and you wouldn't even be sure that the Patriots just won their 6th super bowl or the Sox another World Series title.

We are a negative people. It's what makes us enjoy winning so much because we live in the primordial ooze of everyday negativity.

I commend you for being one of the few beacons of hope throughout the year - lord knows it was me and a few others doing the yeoman's work the last few seasons when things turned to doo doo.

To be fair to all of us, before last week we were in the midst of the most horrible season long shooting performance by any URI team or player in history. It's a little tough to call in "knee-jerk" when we were staring at 80% of a season's worth of evidence. The criticism and doubts were completely fair as new head coaches are always put in the "prove it" stage, especially trying to follow in the footsteps of one of the best coaches in the history of the program.

Credit completely due to Cox for sticking to his guns, and for pushing whatever buttons he's pushed the last week. Hopefully this continues and the season ends on an extremely high note.

Closing the season on a 5 or 6 (or more??) game win streak would completely change how all of us will have viewed this season had it ended a week ago.

I respect that, and I am not from the area, so perhaps the dynamics are different. I just hate hearing and seeing it come from you, of all people. Seeing you turn your back on the team and staff numerous times before the season ended, imo, is knee-jerk. It’s not a sprint, it’s a marathon.

But let’s move on, and cheer these boys on for one final push. They need us now more than ever. They feel when we don’t have their back, as Fatts and JD have both alluded to....they deserve better from all of us. We know now what they all are capable of, just need to put it all together.
Agreed. We are a unique bunch. I wouldn't wish it on anyone lol.

To be fair I've never turned my back on the team. I've for sure expressed extreme frustration at certain players and coaches who imho gave up and had stopped trying.

I've been in my seats at Keaney and the Ryan Center through much worse seasons and stretches than this, and never wavered once. The one thing I, and I'm assuming a lot of the fans on here, have a problem with is lack of effort.

We're a historically disappointing program with long stretches of woefullness punctuated by brief amazing periods of greatness. The fans who are on this message board (which formed during the darkest stretch in program history back in the Projo days), are the ones who care the most.

Because I care as much as I do, my one ask is that the players who play for the university care (or at least look like they care) as much as I do. I don't think that's an unreasonable ask.

We knew this year was up and down. I think as a message board our expectations were reasonable.

There was a period where it looked like our on the court product seemed, acted, played, and coached like it did not care. That's why you saw such negative reactions.

I'm sure you remember the post I had on the PC thread (that I think you're alluding to) where I lost my shit. In compete honesty I played a game with myself where I chugged a glass of red every time Fatts missed a shot. We had to go out for more wine by halftime. So that was much more of a mess than I even intended it to be.

I also think I've been clear that I still had faith Cox could figure it out next year - it didn't change my frustration at what I was seeing.

You are right though, we're all on the same team - and we're all a special kind of crazy if we're on this message board. Looking forward to a hell of a week and a half, and if you show up in Brooklyn I'll be happy to buy you a beer.
Cheers to that. I’ll be there, sporting my Rhody gear.
2 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Blue Man wrote: 5 years ago I'm sure you remember the post I had on the PC thread (that I think you're alluding to) where I lost my shit. In compete honesty I played a game with myself where I chugged a glass of red every time Fatts missed a shot. We had to go out for more wine by halftime. So that was much more of a mess than I even intended it to be.
Glad you're still alive BM!
If I see you in BKLYN I'll buy you a coffee or a glass of juice!
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

rhodyrudder wrote: 5 years ago
theblueram wrote: 5 years ago Fatts with the first 40 pt game since Sly
Tommy had 50
I was just going by what they were throwing up on the screen. Seems odd they would use a stat like that, when we have had many 40+ pt players over our history.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......blueram, warming up to a Fatts Tuesday after last nite?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

section(105) wrote: 5 years ago .......blueram, warming up to a Fatts Tuesday after last nite?
He had a great game. The defense was atrocious. Maybe Fatts stopped lifting weights? Maybe he started listening to Coach? Not sure, but to go from THE worst 3 pt shooter in the country for 80% of the season, to shooting 45% in the last several games? I'm scratching my head.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago
section(105) wrote: 5 years ago .......blueram, warming up to a Fatts Tuesday after last nite?
He had a great game. The defense was atrocious. Maybe Fatts stopped lifting weights? Maybe he started listening to Coach? Not sure, but to go from THE worst 3 pt shooter in the country for 80% of the season, to shooting 45% in the last several games? I'm scratching my head.
It's funny. I haven't seen anything on IG or twitter lately showing the guys lifting.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

They need to scale it down toward the end of the season...they are tired enough as it is.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I think it's more when things are going really bad, eventually you think F___ it; let's just play. The pressure is reduced, and next thing you know the shots are falling.

And the weave, of course!

Which I do honestly feel has helped.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

The weave has definitely helped. Need to come up with a clever nickname for it.
0 x
Backroads
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Backroads »

Fatts outscored Lasalle tonight as well
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Even if the weave is slow it’s ball movement and makes the defense think.
0 x
GO RAMS
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago
It's funny. I haven't seen anything on IG or twitter lately showing the guys lifting.
Chase literally posted something today. Your vendetta with lifting in-season is ridiculous as the team lifted in season under Hurley.

3 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

rhodyrudder wrote: 5 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 5 years ago I'm sure you remember the post I had on the PC thread (that I think you're alluding to) where I lost my shit. In compete honesty I played a game with myself where I chugged a glass of red every time Fatts missed a shot. We had to go out for more wine by halftime. So that was much more of a mess than I even intended it to be.
Glad you're still alive BM!
If I see you in BKLYN I'll buy you a coffee or a glass of juice!
A glass of Lincoln Apple Juice, or Concord Grape? Both delicious beverages!
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Dre3000 wrote: 5 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago

Chase literally posted something today. Your vendetta with lifting in-season is ridiculous as the team lifted in season under Hurley.

The anti-lifting posts on the board this season have baffled me. Chase utilizes his IG account a lot to show what he’s working on with the team and people are all up in arms here (no pun intended) about lifting.
1 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

That’s why we’re fans and he’s the coach.

We react to the small stuff - and not for nothing being the worst 3 point shooter in the country and leading your team in 3 point shots ain’t exactly small.

No one on this board was rooting for themselves to be right about being angry at Fatts’ woes and usage, and everyone is ecstatic to be proven wrong.

Kudos to Fatts and Coach and the whole team that made whatever changes they needed to last week, and let’s ride this shit through next Sunday and beyond!
Blue, the behavior is toxic nonetheless. They are knee jerk and apocalyptic every time things don’t go the way we envision in our mind. That is how processes work bro....you run through them, refining, revamping until it eventually works. It’s never pretty, but every new install requires a reboot...or two, or three.

And Fatts is just a SOPHMORE. Let that sink in.

Haha. :lol: I was also going to blame it on most of the forum being from New England.. 4 months ago I had to listen to my Rhody friends griping about how “Tom Brady is done”. “Should have retired 2 years ago”. “He’s too old”. Makes me laugh you New Englanders. Try being a Jets fan...
Some people need to learn to trust the process. Winning doesn’t always come easy..
1 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Would you like some cheese to go along with that whine.
1 x
RhodeIslandRams
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodeIslandRams »

rhodysurf wrote: 5 years ago
RhodeIslandRams wrote: 5 years ago So I saw the first half, then had to leave for my son's bday dinner. Did I miss anything? ;)

If any of you guys know where I can see that second half let me know thanksss Go Rams!
I’ll definitely be posting this one (and the Dayton and SLU games) soon, just not immediately
Wow, just saw the list. Impressive work, thank you
0 x