Cyril Langevine

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: Cyril Langevine

Unread post by reef »

That's great that he missed all that time in the 1st half and he didn't get down about it and killed it 2h
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Hurley said this kid could play at Kansas with the potential he has.

Very easy to see why.

Bigs tend to have their coming out party their junior year, between him and the track that Harris is on - URI’s strength will undoubtedly be in the front court for at least this year and next. Can’t remeber if we’ve ever said that.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Blue Man wrote: 5 years ago Hurley said this kid could play at Kansas with the potential he has.

Very easy to see why.

Bigs tend to have their coming out party their junior year, between him and the track that Harris is on - URI’s strength will undoubtedly be in the front court for at least this year and next. Can’t remeber if we’ve ever said that.
maybe in 07-08 with Daniels and Seawright
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Blue Man wrote: 5 years ago Bigs tend to have their coming out party their junior year, between him and the track that Harris is on - URI’s strength will undoubtedly be in the front court for at least this year and next. Can’t remember if we’ve ever said that.
From watching Harris, I'm thinking his coming out party might be sooner than his junior year.
8 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote: 5 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 5 years ago Hurley said this kid could play at Kansas with the potential he has.

Very easy to see why.

maybe in 07-08 with Daniels and Seawright
Hassan Martin and Iverson 16-17 were great as well. Although Iverson was less of a physical inside guy like Daniels Seawright/ harris langevine.
0 x
GO RAMS
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Agree with the positive takes on Cyril's game DPS, but can we please avoid the use of the R-word on this forum.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Finally he gets A10 Player of the Week
Well deserved.

https://www.providencejournal.com/sport ... ed-by-a-10
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

The real KG is my favorite Ram of all time, with healthy knees that guy would have competed at a high level in the NBA, but if Cyril continues to work on limiting his turn overs, I'll be admitting by next year at this time that he is the best post player Rhody has had in my experience, which covers around 40 years of Ram BB history.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Running Ram,
Cyril has improved since November, December, January, February. It's amazing.
I love how is has reduced his offensive fouls - an offensive foul also counts in the scorebook as a Turnover and I think that his has helped him significantly. Reducing Offensive Fouls helps him stay in the game longer and allows him to be more aggressive in defending, blocking shots and rebounding.
He has improved his spin moves and he has improved his ability to shoot with either hand.
Cyril is a relentless worker. All season long I never once saw him giving anything less than 100% - even in those games that had gotten completely away from us.
I very much look forward to watching Cyril his Senior Year at URI
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

St. Joes will likely pack the paint to try and stop him, and dare us to shoot 3's all night.

It usually is a winning formula for them against us....let's not play into their hands and only take quality 3 pt. shots. As in open.

Fatts don't revert to the bad Fatts please.....
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

agreed ramster, no one on the team works harder and it's showing. I get that he doesn't have much mid-range game, but, I still think legit NBA candidate 2020 draft.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago St. Joes will likely pack the paint to try and stop him, and dare us to shoot 3's all night.

It usually is a winning formula for them against us....let's not play into their hands and only take quality 3 pt. shots. As in open.

Fatts don't revert to the bad Fatts please.....
Ram bone I think he was good Fatts tonight!!

Someone say Jimmy Baron-esque?
2 x
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

It's like a light was turned on...we've been ripping Fatts all season and now look.
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Cyril would be vastly improved if he could get a stronger grip on the ball. Dude, has butter fingers...all the time. He's a good player and I feel like he could be a great player if he could just hold on to a few extra passes per game. Good to see hime doing well, though!
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago It's like a light was turned on...we've been ripping Fatts all season and now look.

We’ve been justified in ripping him up to these last few games.
0 x
Go Rhody
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If Fatts can play like this next season.....we be pretty good.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Cyril needs to go strong straight to the rim. Too many times he goes for contested layups and gets blocked.

When he does dunk it is usually spectacular so we know he can be lay above the rim. Can’t have our big man getting blocked so much.
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Cyril needs to get more crafty around the rim. It can’t be all strength all the time, bc when guys are as big and as strong that won’t work. He needs to work on a pump fake also, I can’t remember him ever faking his man and then finishing.
0 x
RamIt!
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RamIt! »

Cyril needs 12 rebounds Saturday to lift his regular season averages to a double-double. No pressure...
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago Cyril needs to get more crafty around the rim. It can’t be all strength all the time, bc when guys are as big and as strong that won’t work. He needs to work on a pump fake also, I can’t remember him ever faking his man and then finishing.
Agree with your points Bar about getting more crafty and to pump fake. I’d also like to see him pass more.
However, VS UMASS Cyril did what he has been doing all season it seems, he comes up with even better crafty inside moves and continues to improve his utilization of the left and right hand in shooting
He hit 10-11 shots for 21 points to go with 10 rebounds, yet another double-double. He has really been improving his footwork and his inside maneuvering to get high percentage shots. He is really improving his FG shooting percentage of late.
A frequent complaint of posters has been his turnovers. Vs UMASS he was 10-11 FGs with zero Turnovers. In fact, in the last 4 games of the season Cyril has had a total of only 3 Turnovers.......3!
He deserves 1st team A10. Could be difficult being on a 9-9 team but this guy has improved tremendously since last season and nobody saw a dominating season coming before the season started such as this performance by Cyril. He has established himself as the best big man in the A10. Can’t wait to see him next year!
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Things I didnt expect to say...

Langevine has all but ensured he will be a 1,000 point scorer. He sits at 741 career points to date with at least 1 to go this season.

He also has a chance, granted a long one, at 1,000 career rebounds. Currently at 634 to date for his career. Will probably need 320-350 next season to do it
2 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago Cyril needs to get more crafty around the rim. It can’t be all strength all the time, bc when guys are as big and as strong that won’t work. He needs to work on a pump fake also, I can’t remember him ever faking his man and then finishing.
Agree with your points Bar about getting more crafty and to pump fake. I’d also like to see him pass more.
However, VS UMASS Cyril did what he has been doing all season it seems, he comes up with even better crafty inside moves and continues to improve his utilization of the left and right hand in shooting
He hit 10-11 shots for 21 points to go with 10 rebounds, yet another double-double. He has really been improving his footwork and his inside maneuvering to get high percentage shots. He is really improving his FG shooting percentage of late.
A frequent complaint of posters has been his turnovers. Vs UMASS he was 10-11 FGs with zero Turnovers. In fact, in the last 4 games of the season Cyril has had a total of only 3 Turnovers.......3!
He deserves 1st team A10. Could be difficult being on a 9-9 team but this guy has improved tremendously since last season and nobody saw a dominating season coming before the season started such as this performance by Cyril. He has established himself as the best big man in the A10. Can’t wait to see him next year!
Agree Ramster, while there are certainly areas of improvement still for Cyril in terms of interior scoring, he has improved leaps and bounds from his FR to JR year and even from the beginning to middle of the season through the end. He has shown much much better court awareness, not forcing as much, understanding when guys may flop on him and spinning away from the contact, and finishing with both hands (as you noted, he has numerous nice lefty finishes this year). I would love to see him spend the entire Summer with a big man trainer and come back as a POY candidate next season.

And for my money he is a lock for First Team this year, I don't see how him and Toppin aren't the 2 bigs on the first team. I'd assume Evans, Gudmonnsen and 1 other to round it out.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Cyril’s only post move is 2-3 dribbles to the left, followed by a spin to the right for a layup. It’s worked for the most part this year, but I would think he needs a little more diversity going into next year.
0 x
Go Rhody
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

Toppin is the best big in the conference, but Cyril is certainly a first team all conference candidate. Just to be able to say that two years after he looked so raw offensively (guy couldn't make a layup!) at the start of his freshman year is amazing.
2 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I have beat the Langevine drum for a while now. He is incredible for URI.

I did think he would block more shots this year. Or have more of an impact there.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 5 years ago I have beat the Langevine drum for a while now. He is incredible for URI.

I did think he would block more shots this year. Or have more of an impact there.

he doesn't seem to have that quick leaping ability that Hass had so he doesn't block as many shots and he has more of his own shots blocked.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Langevine has a legit shot at 1st team A10 and even for POY honors.
Will be fun to watch in in his Sr season. The new players can and will learn a lot from Cyril’s work habits and his “leadership by example” skills
1 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago Langevine has a legit shot at 1st team A10 and even for POY honors.
Will be fun to watch in in his Sr season. The new players can and will learn a lot from Cyril’s work habits and his “leadership by example” skills
Agreed - I feel he was slighted last year not being on 1st team, he had a better year than Toppin. If Cyril had Andre Berry's hands he'd be a borderline NBA player.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Shinze88 wrote: 4 years ago
ramster wrote: 4 years ago Langevine has a legit shot at 1st team A10 and even for POY honors.
Agreed - I feel he was slighted last year not being on 1st team, he had a better year than Toppin. If Cyril had Andre Berry's hands he'd be a borderline NBA player.
Bill Koch once wrote something like, "If Langevine had Andre Berry's hands, he'd probably be playing for Duke."
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago
Bill Koch once wrote something like, "If Langevine had Andre Berry's hands, he'd probably be playing for Duke."
But as last season moved on, Langevine showed more and more improvement. He scored inside on a variety of effective moves that he worked on. Many of his points came from rebounding missed shots, sometimes his own missed shots - but he was a ferocious rebounder. I would not say that Rhody guards looked for Cyril as often as they should have. I thought his ball handling improved significantly from prior year and also as the year progressed.
1 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Last year Cyril was a turnover machine at the beginning of the season, he improved on that aspect and by seasons end he had it under control. Totally understandable, he, Fatts and Jeff were all out of sorts at first, last season. I'm sure they all felt the pressure of the program changes and each of them seemed to be trying to do a little too much, in Jeff's case it might have been he should have taken more control. Either way by season's end they had things going well. Let's hope Cyril, Jeff and Fatts pick up where they left off. Everyone for that matter, if we don't see regression in individual play, Tate, Martin, Harris and any of our additions pan out we are in good shape. Should be a fun season and if Langevine does pick up where he left off he will be first team all A10 and probably defense as well.
2 x
Go Rhody!!!
Bill Koch
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bill Koch »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago
It might have been Kentucky.

The larger point, of course, was the Frankenstein monster version of Andre/Cyril would have been a top-10 recruit and likely in the NBA after his sophomore season. That's how much I think of Andre's offensive game and Cyril's physicality.

Also, just generally, recruits all have flaws. They're a couple inches too short, only use one hand, don't shoot as well, weigh too much or too little, etc. Zion and Anthony Davis had less as freshmen than ARD and Hassan Martin, for example. They all took their own paths to being impactful college players. It's just a little longer for some guys than others.
8 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

As we Go into Cyril Langevine’s Senior year, here are notes from GoRhody.com heading into the Maryland Game.

LANGEVINE CONTINUES TO BE A DOUBLE-DOUBLE MACHINE
Cyril Langevine picked up where he left off last season, opening the season with a double-double as he had 16 points and 15 rebounds against LIU.
Last season, Langevine ranked 15th nationally with 17 double-doubles on the season.
The double-double was the 24th of Langevine's career, which is tied for eighth among all active players in Division I.
The 17 double-doubles last season for Langevine were the most by a URI player since Lamar Odom had 19 in 1998-99.
LIU marked the 32nd time Langevine has reached double figures in rebounds, and the fifth time he has had 15 or more.
Langevine finished last season with 328 rebounds, the fifth most in a single season in program history.
It was the most rebounds by a URI player since Art Stephenson set the URI single-season record with 420 in 1966-67.
The last Rhode Island player with 300 rebounds in one season was Lamar Odom, who had 302 in 1998-99.
Langevine had 10+ rebounds 18 times last season.
He led the Atlantic 10 and was ninth in the country with 9.9 rebounds per game.
Langevine had eight offensive boards against LIU. He was 18th nationally in 2018-19 with 3.36 per game.
2 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

It is unfortunate to his pro prospects no other big men have stepped forward for Rhody. While the priority here is to win and be tourney-bound, I like to see NBA-caliber players being produced as well. If Cyril had more flexibility to defend away from the basket and stay on offense a little bit further from the basket, he could develop those stretch big man skills. But seriously, in a small-ball system he could loom as a very good big. He will have between March and the draft to develop and get those skills outside the paint ready for scouts.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rhodyruckus wrote: 4 years ago It is unfortunate to his pro prospects no other big men have stepped forward for Rhody. While the priority here is to win and be tourney-bound, I like to see NBA-caliber players being produced as well. If Cyril had more flexibility to defend away from the basket and stay on offense a little bit further from the basket, he could develop those stretch big man skills. But seriously, in a small-ball system he could loom as a very good big. He will have between March and the draft to develop and get those skills outside the paint ready for scouts.
He doesn’t have NBA size or skill. He is 6’8” maybe. His game isn’t outside. He has poor handling skills and limited range.
2 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

He should have a nice career overseas
4 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
rhodyruckus wrote: 4 years ago It is unfortunate to his pro prospects no other big men have stepped forward for Rhody. While the priority here is to win and be tourney-bound, I like to see NBA-caliber players being produced as well. If Cyril had more flexibility to defend away from the basket and stay on offense a little bit further from the basket, he could develop those stretch big man skills. But seriously, in a small-ball system he could loom as a very good big. He will have between March and the draft to develop and get those skills outside the paint ready for scouts.
He doesn’t have NBA size or skill. He is 6’8” maybe. His game isn’t outside. He has poor handling skills and limited range.
Agreed, I'm just thinking in an alternate universe he'd have a better chance at developing his game to align more closely with an NBA prospect. As we've seen there has been difficulty in finding that other low post guy behind Cyril since Hassan left. But that is the reality of our situation and honestly except for the top programs right now if you are 6'8" you are going to be a post-up "big".
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Cyril has his limitations, but imagine where we'd be without him.

Nowhere, that's where.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I can't get anyone questioning our big man Cyril. He has delivered every year. He deserves more respect than he is getting. I love his game and everthing he does each night.
2 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago I can't get anyone questioning our big man Cyril. He has delivered every year. He deserves more respect than he is getting. I love his game and everthing he does each night.
Here here!!! My favorite player on the team!!!
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Mongo wrote: 4 years ago
theblueram wrote: 4 years ago I can't get anyone questioning our big man Cyril. He has delivered every year. He deserves more respect than he is getting. I love his game and everthing he does each night.
Here here!!! My favorite player on the team!!!
16 points and 15 rebounds with 8 offensive rebounds in 31 minutes in his 1st game. If anybody asked would you be happy with those numbers before the game 100 of 100 people would say yes except for the opposition coaching staff.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Langevine leads the nation in rebounding with 16.0 rpg. Leads also in offensive rebounds.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... t/rebounds
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Just imagine if Cyril could shoot. We would have an All American on our hands.

If we don't get Josh, we will have an enormous hole at the 5. Harris and or Walker will have to play it.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Guy is a monster. Love how he plays.
0 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

+ 1 million, the guy is an absolute warrior and has gotten better and tougher every year. Anyone questioning his ability or value will realize this next year when they see our front court.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Still gotta cut down on turnovers and pass out of the double teams that he will probably face all season. He had 5 turnovers vs Maryland and was 2 for 7 on free throws which is probably the equivalent of 7 turnovers. He is clearly an awesome rebounder but has to learn to occasionally pass the ball out from a double team and when he gets an offensive rebound to also pass it out when he is not in position to go right up with a good shot.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

eli#10 wrote: 4 years ago Still gotta cut down on turnovers and pass out of the double teams that he will probably face all season. He had 5 turnovers vs Maryland and was 2 for 7 on free throws which is probably the equivalent of 7 turnovers. He is clearly an awesome rebounder but has to learn to occasionally pass the ball out from a double team and when he gets an offensive rebound to also pass it out when he is not in position to go right up with a good shot.
Passing it out to an open man is a great option unless you're a team that can't shoot the ball.
4 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......yes, however, I think he is what he is at this point, and we just have to ride his boards and his style which for the A-10 schedule will keep us battling for the top......kinda like zebras changing stripes at this point.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

BEAST
0 x
GO RAMS