3/1 | Dayton | 7:00PM (ESPN2)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Re: 3/1 | Dayton | 7:00PM (ESPN2)

Unread post by adam914 »

Fatts was absolutely fantastic tonight. If he can channel whatever it was he had working tonight and carry that through the season and into next year we'll be alright. We obviously don't need him taking 20 shots every night, but considering Dowtin and Martin were off it became necessary tonight. 23 points, 6 rebounds, 5 assists, 4 steals. I don't think it's a stretch to say it could have been his best all around game at URI.
8 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That was an awesome win for us

Cyril was a beast with 26 points on 12-14

Fatts played great and in control

Let’s build on this momentum
2 x
KMar970
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KMar970 »

Such a great win tonight i know a lot of people are agrivated this year but a win like this gives me a positive feeling— i got big time UConn alumni doubting Hurley already which is a joke, he’s got guys coming in. I told all my boys here n ny i believed n David cox and i still do. Guys a young head coach who kept his recruits here because they all believe n something . Let’s use the rest of this season to springboard rhody back to top 25 levels next year n hey maybe along the way fatts dowton n Langevine make a run n a10 tournament this year—dowton is a tournament guard—but make no mistake rhody must win next 2 games n keep this mojo n 3 POINT shooting going —let’s go rams
4 x
KMar970
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KMar970 »

scine20 wrote: 5 years ago It doesn’t matter how good or bad Rhode Island is or for that matter how good or bad Dayton is. The one thing that remains constant is Rhode Island winning at Dayton. I’d love to know their record at Dayton since 2004 when Hellenga hit the 3 from the corner to win.
I’d love someone to post the video links again that was my prime time at uri i was literally at every game lol
0 x
KMar970
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KMar970 »

This is my last post because i got trashed tonight with few rhody alum but I’d love for someone to tell me how rhody continues to win n Dayton every year-we could have jon Clark n Langevine’s spot n still win. Ok maybe not but let’s go rams
2 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

This is the first statement win since VCU. I'm glad we didn't have to wait until next season to get another!

Sure, we got a little lucky at the end of regulation and OT too, but like the saying goes - the harder we work, the luckier we get.

So glad to see Fatts have the game of his career. Cyril was unstoppable, and even CT showed some heart. JD was not his usual stellar self, but he's earned a stinker or 2. And Little Man Tate (a Jodie Foster reference!) showed some stones.

What I'd like to know is:

1) What is wrong physically with Harris? We really need him so we can build as a team.

2) Can someone please explain what the f#@k is going on with Martin? He's gone from Rookie of the Month candidate to The Invisible Man.

3) Silverio? Hello???

But again, just a terrific win against a quality opponent on the road. Can't ask for more than that!!
0 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote: 5 years ago
scine20 wrote: 5 years ago It doesn’t matter how good or bad Rhode Island is or for that matter how good or bad Dayton is. The one thing that remains constant is Rhode Island winning at Dayton. I’d love to know their record at Dayton since 2004 when Hellenga hit the 3 from the corner to win.
7-9 all time there

5-3 since 2009...the rest of the A10 has 11 combined wins there in the same time frame
After starting 0-5 there they are 7-4 (since 2004) and have won there during some disappointing seasons. They won there in Baron's last year, in the year that Matthews got injured and obviously this year.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Martin may have hit the freshman wall.....hopefully nothing more than that.

Harris has plantar fasciitis and it gets worse during games.

Expect big improvement next season.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......did Preston play any minutes?......tough match ups I guess for Omar, both ends of flour?......not convinced he can play significant minutes at this level....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

URI shut down 2 of Dayton's best players:
Cunningham got only 4 points and 5 rebounds. Langevine, Martin and Harris all contributed
Crutcher only had 8 points on 3-10 shooting and 6 big turnovers
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Criticism of Langevine when he has good games tends to be his FT Shooting and Turnovers

Last night was one of his best games ever
- Career High 26 points
- Amazing 12-14 FG many scored on great inside moves and his uncanny ability to score with both his right and left hand
- 2-3 FTs with two made in crucial times in the 2nd half
- Only 1 Turnover
- 3 Blocks
- 2 Steals
- 1 Assist
8 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

I really liked fatts game last night / of course cas he his shots but he seemed to be taking good shots

If he improves his 3 point shooting that will open things up a lot more for him

Well done fatts - cas of you we won that game !
2 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Also, I like the weave. It looks odd, but style points don't matter.

It forces the guys to move and be active, it makes them think ball movement.

Certainly better than the stand around and watch a dribble
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I'm a little concerned about Tyrese. I know he's a low key kind of kid, but he really seems disinterested. Watch the tape right after Dayton misses the last second shot. The other kids are celebrating, but he's walking off the court, no celebration, and actually looking unhappy. I'm not sure what's going on.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago I'm a little concerned about Tyrese. I know he's a low key kind of kid, but he really seems disinterested. Watch the tape right after Dayton misses the last second shot. The other kids are celebrating, but he's walking off the court, no celebration, and actually looking unhappy. I'm not sure what's going on.
Wouldn't read much into it.

Probably just mad at himself for missing the FT. Some guys are like that, just get angry at mistakes
4 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago Criticism of Langevine when he has good games tends to be his FT Shooting and Turnovers

- Career High 26 points
- Amazing 12-14 FG many scored on great inside moves and his uncanny ability to score with both his right and left hand
- Only 1 Turnover
- 3 Blocks
- 2 Steals
- 1 Assist
Agree Ramster. I’d say that was Cyril’s best game as a Ram. 26 and 8 with 1 turnover. He made many good decisions with the ball instead of just putting his head down and barreling to the rim. Looked opposite, passed well out of doubles and was his usual self scooping boards and finishing around the rim.
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote: 5 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago I'm a little concerned about Tyrese. I know he's a low key kind of kid, but he really seems disinterested. Watch the tape right after Dayton misses the last second shot. The other kids are celebrating, but he's walking off the court, no celebration, and actually looking unhappy. I'm not sure what's going on.
Wouldn't read much into it.

Probably just mad at himself for missing the FT. Some guys are like that, just get angry at mistakes
I hope you're right. The kid has the tools to be a star here.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago
ramster wrote: 5 years ago Criticism of Langevine when he has good games tends to be his FT Shooting and Turnovers

- Career High 26 points
- Only 1 Turnover
- 3 Blocks
- 2 Steals
- 1 Assist
Agree Ramster. I’d say that was Cyril’s best game as a Ram. 26 and 8 with 1 turnover. He made many good decisions with the ball instead of just putting his head down and barreling to the rim. Looked opposite, passed well out of doubles and was his usual self scooping boards and finishing around the rim.
and BAR, he did this on Dayton's home court, sold out arena, vs a team trying to make the NCAA Tournament, against Josh Cunningham and Obi Toppin. He really flexed his muscles last night.

And I should add Langevine played 44 minutes, same as he played against Fordham a few weeks ago.
He is doing a much better job controlling his Foul Situation and is not committing those Offensive Fouls like he was earlier in the season
Last edited by ramster 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Solid chance to end the season over .500 which, all things considered, isn’t something to celebrate but is an accomplishment in its own way. Even though it is only a difference of a game or two, but perception-wise I think it feels like more of something to build on. It should definitely be the goal at this point without a lot else to play for.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Would have been nice to see whether Preston could have helped on Toppin.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Glad we have Walker going forward to help on guys like Toppin.

CT had no chance. Does show the lack of depth we have, and with Harris not much of a factor right now made it worse.

Martin couldn't make a shot or FT....could see why he wasn't happy, but he should have been happy they won.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Martin has some huge defensive plays and some big rebounds down the stretch
2 x
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

I noticed that too. I think he was frustrated with himself for not making the free throw
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Ram1019 wrote: 5 years ago
I noticed that too. I think he was frustrated with himself for not making the free throw
The end was tough to watch and I think a few of the guys didn’t feel great with their last minute performance- I’m sure they were all more than pleased once that win sunk in.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

It was huge how, after he missed the free throw, he tipped the ball almost out of bounds and the Dayton guy had to chase it. Shaved off a second or two and forced a worse shot.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeterRamTime wrote: 5 years ago

It was huge how, after he missed the free throw, he tipped the ball almost out of bounds and the Dayton guy had to chase it. Shaved off a second or two and forced a worse shot.
and Cox had no URI player in the lane for the possible rebound, instead putting them all back on defense. I've always disliked that coaching tactic, even back when John Chaney did it back in the days at Temple. I don't see the rational of having zero players in the lane. It has to effect the FT shooter since it is so unusual, plus do you really need all 4 guys back when Dayton themselves has their 4 guys in the lane to get the rebound? and Tyrese almost got it himself. If Dayton hits that last second shot we look pretty stupid.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 5 years ago It was huge how, after he missed the free throw, he tipped the ball almost out of bounds and the Dayton guy had to chase it. Shaved off a second or two and forced a worse shot.
Was out late last night just watched last 4 m and OT on DVR. Without that fight by Martin for rebound on his miss fair chance we would have played 5 more minutes.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

section(105) wrote: 5 years ago .......did Preston play any minutes?
no
1 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

The block by CL, the break by Fatts, the behind-the-back pass back to CL for the finish...

Maybe the play of the year...

There were a bunch more fantastic bounce passes in the lane that led to easy hoops.

Great great great great great games by both of them, obviously.
2 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago

and Cox had no URI player in the lane for the possible rebound, instead putting them all back on defense. I've always disliked that coaching tactic, even back when John Chaney did it back in the days at Temple. I don't see the rational of having zero players in the lane. It has to effect the FT shooter since it is so unusual, plus do you really need all 4 guys back when Dayton themselves has their 4 guys in the lane to get the rebound? and Tyrese almost got it himself. If Dayton hits that last second shot we look pretty stupid.
Tyrese definitely not a player that plays with emotion.. does have to remember it's team first.. I get being disappointed with missing ft but your team won.. celebrate a really good win. As far as noone under basket during final fts moot point if he makes them. Also no chance of a crazy over the back foul on a miss.. stranger things have happened. Hopefully we make those shots in the future..
1 x
bwerner10
Steve Chubin

Unread post by bwerner10 »

Great win but unsure my Preston didn’t play. If we were to make a deep run in the A-10 tourney which is what we need to focus on, Omar and Preston should be getting 8-10 minutes a game so they have some Game Time experience and are cohesive in A-10 play, where we would need to play four in a row. Omar has some PT, but Preston needs some meaningful floor time
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

A lot of credit has to go to the team and staff for their effort last night. Getting a win at a sold out UD Arena just a few weeks after getting blowout by 29 points at home by the same Flyers team is an impressive turnaround. Showed a lot of moxy and pride.

For some reason, URI does better than most at UD Arena. Rhody is 7-9 there all-time. The Rams lost their first five games in Dayton but since 2004 have gone 7-4 in front of the red sweaters crowd.
1 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Before I start reading this entire thread let me vent.....

Italian is not a race

Irish is not a race

Portuguese is not a race

Norwegian is not a race

Lebanese is not a race

Jewish is not a race

Muslim is not a race

Christianity is not a race

Many hurtful and hateful things are not "racist".....clearly the Blackburn article is hurtful, hateful, and deals with negative stereotypes...but not "racist"
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

In close games in the tourney I doubt they play...even though guys could use a break...playing 4 days in a row with limited depth is hard, but not impossible.

UConn did 5 in a row back when they ran through their conference tourney on their way to the national title.

Dayton did it a few years ago when they went to the Elite 8.....with 6 players.

The only day I could see them play would be Thursday if we play say LaSalle and have a big lead.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ram1980 wrote: 5 years ago

Tyrese definitely not a player that plays with emotion.. does have to remember it's team first.. I get being disappointed with missing ft but your team won.. celebrate a really good win. As far as noone under basket during final fts moot point if he makes them. Also no chance of a crazy over the back foul on a miss.. stranger things have happened. Hopefully we make those shots in the future..
But most teams do NOT put no players on the line in that situation. It's not the rule. It also lets Dayton get the ball faster and bring it down the court faster. As others have stated, Martin made a great play to poke the ball. Not putting the players there because you are afraid they might foul is playing not to lose.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

It’s not a rule that EVERY team does it that way, ramster, but many do. Can see the argument for both approaches. Yes, putting guys down there could make things more difficult for the other team to secure the rebound and you can pressure the outlet pass and just potentially cause more chaos - which with only a handful of seconds left could really matter. On the other hand, putting no one there eliminates the chance of a dumb foul that puts the other team on the line to tie it without having had to use any time or really do anything at all. You also get to set your defense up and not have to scramble to cover everyone if someone gets out of position and loses their guy chasing a long rebound or loose ball. Pulling the guys out is the more conservative approach, for sure. I don’t know that I favor one over the other, but I don’t hate what they did nearly as much as you do.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I also disagree with not having at least one player on each side of the lane.

Like ramster said, if Tyrese doesn't get his hand on the ball, Dayton probably gets at least an open look from 3 to win the game.

4.9 seconds is a long time. As I remember a certain UMass player went coast to coast to beat us in that same amount of time......
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

steviep123 wrote: 5 years ago Because I need to find something to complain about, I'm pissed again that Koch wasn't sent to Dayton by the projo. I want to read his article after a game like this. The Projo doesn't even have a game story. Just a random article by a "special to the journal" which is 3 or 4 mini stories, but not much about the game. Sort of a "rams journal."

https://www.providencejournal.com/sport ... -at-dayton

it was posted at 8:42, so before the game was over.

It did have an interesting story that the Rams are the only team with a winning record at UD Arena since 2009. That's cool.

But HOW ABOUT A GAME ARTICLE!?!

Today's Projo article on the game shows the risk of having someone unfamiliar with URI writing about them. Special to the Journal contractor Eric Frantz couldn't even get Rhody's W/L record right. He wrote that after this game their record is 14-15. Anyone that closely follows URI basketball knows the Rams are now 14-14. The Projo may want to have Koch read the game articles it outsources in the future for errors before publishing. I would also suggest they have someone check for grammar since Frantz had those mistakes as well.
Screenshot_2019-03-02 Providence Journal.png
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago It’s not a rule that EVERY team does it that way, ramster, but many do. Can see the argument for both approaches. Yes, putting guys down there could make things more difficult for the other team to secure the rebound and you can pressure the outlet pass and just potentially cause more chaos - which with only a handful of seconds left could really matter. On the other hand, putting no one there eliminates the chance of a dumb foul that puts the other team on the line to tie it without having had to use any time or really do anything at all. You also get to set your defense up and not have to scramble to cover everyone if someone gets out of position and loses their guy chasing a long rebound or loose ball. Pulling the guys out is the more conservative approach, for sure. I don’t know that I favor one over the other, but I don’t hate what they did nearly as much as you do.
So why ever put anyone there? They can always commit a dumb foul.

I don’t know how many times I’ve seen duke or North Carolina actually get the rebound and then the game is over. Of course it’s not every team and it’s not the rule, as I said most teams do not do this. I’m pretty sure it was John Chaney who started it and I didn’t like it then 30 years ago. I’m going to watch more closely now to see which coaches do it and which ones don’t.
0 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

Those that seem to be concerned with Ty: I suggest watching the game again and keying in on his play the whole time.

While he has had a rough go of it offensively, he’s certainly aware of that and making up for it with intangibles. A lot of stuff that won’t show up in the stat sheet. I can easily argue we won last night because of his play in the final two minutes... despite missing that free throw.

I don’t think he’s frustrated with the team. In fact, his play indicates the opposite. It looks like he’s trying to contribute any way possible when the shots aren’t falling. That’s respecting your team as a unit at its finest. To me, it seems he’s frustrated with himself.

In an ideal world where he’s clicking with the rest of the team, he takes a few shots out of Fatts hands last night and helps spread the offense even more. With time, this will come true... but it’s even better knowing we can get over the hump with a few guys having an off game.

We’re on to St. Joes.
3 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Coach Cox is undefeated in March. That's good. Funny we have beat SLU, Dayton, and VCU.

If Cox finds some success I can see him walking around with that towel becoming his calling card.
3 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 5 years ago Coach Cox is undefeated in March. That's good. Funny we have beat SLU, Dayton, and VCU.

If Cox finds some success I can see him walking around with that towel becoming his calling card.
The man is undeboutedly a sweater. That towel is a requirement, not a prop.
2 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Well now....I've read the entire thread......but I still haven't seen the game....was at a high-brow musical event and was too superstitious to follow the game on my phone...

I love the weave.....but I also love 1952 and two-handed set shots.....

Fatts having good shooting nights is a must for us to win.....

I hope we can get a spot in the A10 standings 5-8 to avoid having to play 4 tough games...

We can beat or lose to any team in the conference.....

Toppin is a pro.....nobody can guard him.....Thompson is being unfairly castigated on this board...
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

the_one_mike wrote: 5 years ago Those that seem to be concerned with Ty: I suggest watching the game again and keying in on his play the whole time.

While he has had a rough go of it offensively, he’s certainly aware of that and making up for it with intangibles. A lot of stuff that won’t show up in the stat sheet. I can easily argue we won last night because of his play in the final two minutes... despite missing that free throw.

I don’t think he’s frustrated with the team. In fact, his play indicates the opposite. It looks like he’s trying to contribute any way possible when the shots aren’t falling. That’s respecting your team as a unit at its finest. To me, it seems he’s frustrated with himself.

In an ideal world where he’s clicking with the rest of the team, he takes a few shots out of Fatts hands last night and helps spread the offense even more. With time, this will come true... but it’s even better knowing we can get over the hump with a few guys having an off game.

We’re on to St. Joes.
Agree
He made some big plays defensively and in rebounding the last minutes of the game
Not worried about him
Love him in the starting line up
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago It’s not a rule that EVERY team does it that way, ramster, but many do. Can see the argument for both approaches. Yes, putting guys down there could make things more difficult for the other team to secure the rebound and you can pressure the outlet pass and just potentially cause more chaos - which with only a handful of seconds left could really matter. On the other hand, putting no one there eliminates the chance of a dumb foul that puts the other team on the line to tie it without having had to use any time or really do anything at all. You also get to set your defense up and not have to scramble to cover everyone if someone gets out of position and loses their guy chasing a long rebound or loose ball. Pulling the guys out is the more conservative approach, for sure. I don’t know that I favor one over the other, but I don’t hate what they did nearly as much as you do.
So why ever put anyone there? They can always commit a dumb foul.
I know that you’re not completely ignorant of situational strategy so I assume this isn’t a serious question.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Ramulous, CT was handed an impossible assignment....with Harris mostly a non factor Cox didn't have much of a choice.

Next season that should change with Harris better and with the addition of Walker.

Who would have thought Toppin would develop into possibly the best big man in the league...already?

Imagine us with Toppin instead of Preston...and Toppin could have 3 more years!
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Toppin already has a NBA body / plays with poise and great skill / I love his game /
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Toppin and Cyril on the same team is fun to think about for sure.
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 5 years ago Toppin already has a NBA body / plays with poise and great skill / I love his game /
Hits his free throws too.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

With luck he will go pro after his soph year...or no later than his junior year. Academics could be factor also?

What's amazing is he didn't start playing basketball nearly as early as most.....he will probably get even better.

Adam, with those 2 inside plus Harris and maybe Walker? Add another guard and it's NCAA tourney lock city.

As it is I think Dayton will be an NCAA tourney team for the rest of Toppin's time there. Maybe even this year...I don't count them out of winning it all in Brooklyn.
0 x