3/1 | Dayton | 7:00PM (ESPN2)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Re: 3/1 | Dayton | 7:00PM (ESPN2)

Unread post by the_one_mike »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago
the_one_mike wrote: 5 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago I feel like there could be a lot to say about the last few minutes and OT, lots of takes and praise and criticism. But I’ll save all of that. Best win of the year by a country mile.
At the right time, no less. They’ve had this all along.

Looks like an entirely new offense with Jeff back at the true 1 and Fatts playing pass first in the two man game. I’ve been begging for this and it looks like it’s finally come around.

If we can establish some big to big ball movement watch out - we have three guys that have shown the ability to pass and score from the high/low post.

The most encouraging part of this game, to me, was again the freshmen. Tate has grown leaps and bounds with his interior defense. He needs more minutes at the 4.

Martin had a generally awful game but came up with a huge steal and rebound late in OT. Missed the front end but that can be forgiven with the outcome of the game...

When we went down two, I was certain this game was lost and I still would have been happy. Bravo, Rhody. A little experience for these kids with their new coach and I think we will have quite the show in Kingston.
Jeff Was not at the 1. That's for sure. It gave me heart palpitations all game long.
Yeah, I guess that is true... I guess what I really meant is playing as a floor general. He looked like a facilitator and took shots when they were there, where he’s certainly at his best.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

It looks like the weave and the extra work on shooting is paying off.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

If you honestly think I rather be right then win then you don’t realize how much of a die hard fan i am
6 x
spar
Kenny Green

Unread post by spar »

What a game. Just goes to show how hitting some shots and playing with some confidence changes everything. Played with intensity from start to finish on both ends. THAT is the energy we became accustomed to under Hurley. Played like our season was on the line. We bring that play to Brooklyn, you never know what might happen. Langevine and Fatts, what a game they both played. Nice to see us finishing the regular season strong these last few games. Let's f'n keep the momentum going!
7 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

DeanDome88 wrote: 5 years ago
UCH21377 wrote: 5 years ago I am surprised Coach didn't put in Harris to guard Toppin at some point late in game or in OT. No way CT could stop him, or Tate, although they tried their best.

I thought Tate played very well at end; the offensive foul was tough but at least he was aggressive. He worked hard on D and boards as well.
Harris had fouled out.
ok there's a pretty good reason! The box score didn't show 5 fouls so I wasn't sure.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

The assists were key. The team is playing like a team. Look for your mate open, feed the bigs, play aggressive. Equals a win.!!!!
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......just win the next one.......
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Outstanding effort by all the Rams tonight . 40 minutes of tough defense and made some shots. a great formula for winning.
Martin and tate did not shoot well, but they contributed in every other way possible . Langevine and Russell were virtually unstoppable.
If they can keep it going for two more games they can be super scary in the A 10 Tournament where I think Dayton should be the favorite.
Great effort guys! This one was hard for me to watch because Dayton's loss may cost them a spot in the Dance if they don't win the A 10 title.
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

This is a good trend...better late than never.
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

This team has the talent to win the A10 tournament. Always did. Let's turn the world upside down!!!!!
4 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

It looks like the weave and the extra work on shooting is paying off.
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

This game proved it’s all in their heads.. they’ve beaten VCU, Dayton, SBU, Saint Louis, and choked with Duquesne
4 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Terrible shooting technique didn’t help. Glad to see they have been working on it. You could tell by the way they were holding their follow through, squaring up to the basket before shooting, etc.
2 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

KevanBoyles wrote: 5 years ago Terrible shooting technique didn’t help. Glad to see they have been working on it. You could tell by the way they were holding their follow through, squaring up to the basket before shooting, etc.
Go. Away.
3 x
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

rhodysurf wrote: 5 years ago This game proved it’s all in their heads.. they’ve beaten VCU, Dayton, SBU, Saint Louis, and choked with Duquesne

I think this is why I was so frustrated with the teamwide breakdown. We have seen them beat many of the better teams on their schedule. The raw talent is there to be successful. I predicted a rough season.. but I wasn’t expecting it to be a mental challenge
6 x
TheGhostOfDH
Abdul Fox

Unread post by TheGhostOfDH »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 5 years ago If you honestly think I rather be right then win then you don’t realize how much of a die hard fan i am
Just keep cutting your bait...
4 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

I am not totally against the weave but please do not run it so long that there is not much time left on the shot clock. Also what does the coach have against double teaming a player like Toppin who absolutely dominated poor CT who had no chance.
Great great win but I still say we need better coaching.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

RhodyKyle wrote: 5 years ago
KevanBoyles wrote: 5 years ago Terrible shooting technique didn’t help. Glad to see they have been working on it. You could tell by the way they were holding their follow through, squaring up to the basket before shooting, etc.
Go. Away.
I was referring to our terrible shooting technique that earned us the title as the worst three point shooting team in the country. Not this evening.
0 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

David Cox | A10 Coach of the Year
...has a nice little ring to it, don’t cha think?
2 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

TheGhostOfDH wrote: 5 years ago
ElmCityRhody wrote: 5 years ago If you honestly think I rather be right then win then you don’t realize how much of a die hard fan i am
Just keep cutting your bait...
RHODY wins - let’s not turn this thread about me

I had every reason to not like the product I was seeing

I’m a big boy - you want to come at me then I am right here

If you recall - I also said I rather be wrong than right

We had a great win / so let’s just enjoy the win

We had 2 hot players - I stand by my posts in the past

Time will tell but I rather be wrong then right

So if you got anything else to say then PM me and I’ll give you my cell and we can talk as 2 RHODY fans and find common ground I’m bleeding Kearney blue

Like I said, I’ve been here since Projo days - I am as much of a diehard fan as anyone else on this board

GO RHODY
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Next season Harris should be more of a factor plus having Walker should really help when it comes to Toppin. Harris and Martin were overmatched, but our guards and CL were the difference. CT should not be playing forward, but there was little choice.

Great win tonight. For some reason I thought they would lead this game at halftime, but not be able to hold on.

Glad to be wrong. They have turned a corner, finally. Keep it going. If we get this version of Fatts most nights, we will be tough.

As for Cox for COY...next season would be nice.
Last edited by rambone 78 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Confidence, confidence, confidence!
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

LETS GO BUTT BANG THE A10 AND GO F*CKING DANCING
7 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

eli#10 wrote: 5 years ago I am not totally against the weave but please do not run it so long that there is not much time left on the shot clock. Also what does the coach have against double teaming a player like Toppin who absolutely dominated poor CT who had no chance.
Great great win but I still say we need better coaching.
We had two guys foul out and the calls weren’t exactly going our way....
3 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Blue Man wrote: 5 years ago LETS GO BUTT BANG THE A10 AND GO F*CKING DANCING

NO LUBE

RAM'EM
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Would love to win 4 in a row in NY, but could the good version of Rams show up that consistently?

We are getting there...what's nice is that we are improving at the end of THIS season....no mailing it in after all.

Now let's not drop a turd against St. Joes....of course that game will be 5 on 8 too....it always is for us there.
3 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Where can the post game press conferences be heard?
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

One thing cox has touched on was how this team had to learn to face adversity since the leaders never experienced anything but winning.

An away arena with the calls going 10:1 the other way, definitely counts as adversity. That looked like a Hurley team out there. Cox looked energized. They were fighters. That’s all I’ve ever wanted out of this team and why I, and others were extremely disheartened.

It looked like we gave up. Win or lose I was ecstatic tonight. We showed up. We played with an identity. We had the refs and crowd against us and I would’ve been encouraged by our fight regardless.

To lose that lead and still grind out a win despite everything going against us and losing a late lead, that would’ve been a loss I’d have been “ok” with a young team losing.

I don’t know what happened this week but these boys grew the fuck up and I’m fully on board for where we can go in the tournament.

SEE YOU IN BROOKLYN
10 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Excitement is restored.

Winning is so therapeutic.
3 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Just watched this on dvr delayed. I didn’t know what was going to happen and end of regulation and OT sure was hairy.

On the end, this was our best quality win, taking into account opponent and venue, since beating Oklahoma.

KenPim calls these class A wins and other than the OK game last year only Seton Hall win also qualified as class “A”.
8 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Because of Harris’ minimal playing time we basically played a 6 1/2 man rotation this evening. If these guys can continue to develop and adding next year’s class we could be looking at a very deep rotation next year.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Because I need to find something to complain about, I'm pissed again that Koch wasn't sent to Dayton by the projo. I want to read his article after a game like this. The Projo doesn't even have a game story. Just a random article by a "special to the journal" which is 3 or 4 mini stories, but not much about the game. Sort of a "rams journal."

https://www.providencejournal.com/sport ... -at-dayton

it was posted at 8:42, so before the game was over.

It did have an interesting story that the Rams are the only team with a winning record at UD Arena since 2009. That's cool.

But HOW ABOUT A GAME ARTICLE!?!
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Backroads
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Backroads »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago Next season Harris should be more of a factor plus having Walker should really help when it comes to Toppin. Harris and Martin were overmatched, but our guards and CL were the difference. CT should not be playing forward, but there was little choice.

Great win tonight. For some reason I thought they would lead this game at halftime, but not be able to hold on.

Glad to be wrong. They have turned a corner, finally. Keep it going. If we get this version of Fatts most nights, we will be tough.

As for Cox for COY...next season would be nice.
Who says Toppin is even back next year?
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

ATPTourFan wrote: 5 years ago Just watched this on dvr delayed. I didn’t know what was going to happen and end of regulation and OT sure was hairy.

On the end, this was our best quality win, taking into account opponent and venue, since beating Oklahoma.

KenPim calls these class A wins and other than the OK game last year only Seton Hall win also qualified as class “A”.
ATP, I had done that for the VCU game at home. It talk all my strength to not check the score, go to this board or to twitter for updates.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unless Toppin has academic troubles I would expect him to return next season.....although if he gets any better the NBA scouts will be after him and I could see him leaving after his soph season or definitely a year later.

People on the Dayton board seem to agree.

As for the Flyers NCAA at large hopes...they are dead....in the same boat as us now.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 5 years ago Boy u see Cox chew out JD ?? He was livid
I did. My thought was why don’t I ever see him chew out Fatts or Thompson. He left Dowtin on the bench for quite a while too.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhodyRamFan69 wrote: 5 years ago Tough night for the fire Cox crowd.
It never was a crowd
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

ATPTourFan wrote: 5 years ago Just watched this on dvr delayed. I didn’t know what was going to happen and end of regulation and OT sure was hairy.

I think VCU may become a class A win
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

ramster wrote: 5 years ago
It never was a crowd
3 is a crowd...if there was 3...
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote: 5 years ago One thing cox has touched on was how this team had to learn to face adversity since the leaders never experienced anything but winning.

An away arena with the calls going 10:1 the other way, definitely counts as adversity. That looked like a Hurley team out there. Cox looked energized. They were fighters. That’s all I’ve ever wanted out of this team and why I, and others were extremely disheartened.

It looked like we gave up. Win or lose I was ecstatic tonight. We showed up. We played with an identity. We had the refs and crowd against us and I would’ve been encouraged by our fight regardless.

To lose that lead and still grind out a win despite everything going against us and losing a late lead, that would’ve been a loss I’d have been “ok” with a young team losing.

I don’t know what happened this week but these boys grew the fuck up and I’m fully on board for where we can go in the tournament.

SEE YOU IN BROOKLYN
It’s the first time I’ve seen cox so fired up on the sideline. Waving his arms, stamping his feet he was acting like Hurley at times
3 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

It's a marathon, not a sprint. And occasionally you get a cramp. Great win.
3 x
Mobley was fouled.
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Also, I just noticed they are replaying the game on espnu tonight...
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Good to see Cox channeling his inner Hurley. Kept the team energized.....they need that especially on the road.

This ugly duckling isn't quite a swan yet, but they are learning, both coach and players.

Hope for next season....it's back.
3 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I did. My thought was why don’t I ever see him chew out Fatts or Thompson. He left Dowtin on the bench for quite a while too.
You guys see what you want to see at times. He chewed Fatts out so bad a couple games ago, I think some spit flew in the kids eye.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

RI_Bred wrote: 5 years ago Also, I just noticed they are replaying the game on espnu tonight...
I streamed it on my phone so I wanted to rewatch, but of course it’s duke Miami right now. Boo.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

It never was a crowd
Tough night for the “when we win it’s only 3 pages on the message board crowd”
5 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago
You guys see what you want to see at times. He chewed Fatts out so bad a couple games ago, I think some spit flew in the kids eye.
Which game was that? I certainly missed that, been waiting for that all season on Fatts. One time it happened and I missed it
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

steviep123 wrote: 5 years ago
It never was a crowd
3 is a crowd...if there was 3...
I’ve seen some clowns on Twitter say it (not anyone I’d want to follow or do follow). Not sure if they’re also on KB too.
1 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

I’ve seen cox lay into plenty of guys this season during games at the RC- for whatever reason, its not something they show him do on the televised away games. A lot of times he keeps a card coving his mouth so it’s harder to make out what he’s saying.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Blue Man wrote: 5 years ago One thing cox has touched on was how this team had to learn to face adversity since the leaders never experienced anything but winning.

SEE YOU IN BROOKLYN
I saw Sutton up and screaming a lot tonight to. I don't remember seeing that much before. I'm sure it happens and I've missed it, but I do think everyone, from the coaches to the players, had an extra gear going tonight.
4 x