Is the anchor becoming a major part of our branding?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Is the anchor becoming a major part of our branding?

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Mike Laprey, before he went to BC, came on this board and said he felt like URI athletics should undergo a rebranding and certainly implied that it would in fact be happening. It seems over the last couple of years anchors have been more visible than a ram logo with our athletic programs. Jim Fleming embraced the anchor immediately upon becoming head football coach and the team started carrying an anchor on the field and it is also part of the jersey by the shoulders, which you can see here:

http://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-footbl/ ... 0928v8e739

Now baseball has a jersey which features an anchor on the sleeve as well as on the back of their on-field hats, which you can see here:

https://bretmunsonphotography.smugmug.c ... -X483dTH/A

Is this a case of a couple of teams using the anchor or is this a situation where the anchor is becoming an even more prominent part of our brand than the ram? I have to say, I don't mind using the anchor where it is part of our University seal, but I don't like it being more prominent than the ram
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Re: Is the anchor becoming a major part of our branding?

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

been saying all along - all fonts/logos, etc needs to be consistent across all sports teams/school gear

i like the baseball team font

we should go back to that as the university font across all gear

GET CONSISTENT and let that be your brand
2 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

even the # font is PERFECT

baseball team nailed it

use this across all teams going forward
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I generally like the anchor as it is a symbol of the state and is the prominent feature of the state flag. Its use for URI might however be an issue with RIC as they already use it along with their Anchormen nickname. For this reason, I think URI needs to separately distinguish itself and further tie itself to the state. That is why I like the RI and RHODE ISLAND used for branding purposes. Follow the example of MICHIGAN which typically does not prominently use Wolverines or acronyms.
Last edited by RF1 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
7 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

I prefer RI also but STRONGLY believe in a school font

The baseball lettering and numbering is a game changer

We need a universal font across all teams and fan gear ala UConn, Miami, Kansas, etc etc

Come on - this is marketing 101

THINK BIG DO WE

put me in charge and I’ll right the ship w all this as the clowns won’t be involved anymore :))
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I love the anchor and its relation to the state flag/ocean state culture, but its not the mascot or the logo. Its confusing and should not begin to replace the ram. Baseball should have a Ram logo, not the anchor. Plus as stated, the RIC Anchormen already use this as their main mascot. You want to combine the anchor and ram? Maybe.
3 x
GO RAMS
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago I generally like the anchor as it is a symbol of the state and is the prominent feature of the state flag. Its use for URI might however be an issue with RIC as they already use it along with their Anchormen nickname. For this reason, I think URI needs to separately distinguish itself and further tie itself to the state. That is why I like the RI and RHODE ISLAND used for branding purposes. Follow the example of MICHIGAN which typically does not prominently use Wolverines or acronyms.
100% agreed. I like the anchor as an accent on the uniforms, but don't really see the purpose from a branding perspective. Especially when it seems these days that the general public gets confused over the slightest thing. I wonder if anyone would ever do a redesign of the ram logo. The "RI" and "RHODE ISLAND" need to stay.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

It seems like you could keep the RI logo we have now and make the top of the R the ram head, however I'm not near artistic enough to produce what that concept might look like
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Not that I am knocking the ram logo, but I'm glad it's not the logo on the court anymore. the RI looks SO much more sophisticated.
2 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Marketing 101: Be CONSISTENT with your brand.

Are we the Rhody Anchors?
1 x
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

The interlocking RI on the front of the hat is the marketing brand currently for athletics. because it is a fitted hat, and they seem (no knowledge) to be moving away from the segmented ram logo, the anchor makes as much sense as anything.
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Our offense is an anchor dragging us down to the bottom. IOW, it's a perfect symbol.
2 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

urirx wrote: 5 years ago The interlocking RI on the front of the hat is the marketing brand currently for athletics. because it is a fitted hat, and they seem (no knowledge) to be moving away from the segmented ram logo, the anchor makes as much sense as anything.
I bought a shirt about a year ago before a game (it's a women's long sleeved Adidas with the ram logo and "Rhode Island" at the bottom). Not sure what the original price was, but it was on sale for $25. I can't ever recall seeing gear in the store on sale so I asked the girl and she told me it was because the ram logo is being phased out by Athletics.

Wasn't PC using a Dalmatian as a mascot for a while? Things that don't make sense, but I think it was because someone in the band had a Dalmatian and they thought it was good luck?? I could be wrong.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

PeteRI wrote: 5 years ago Marketing 101: Be CONSISTENT with your brand.

Are we the Rhody Anchors?
THANK YOU
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

The Dominican Fiars have been associated with dalmations for a long time
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago The Dominican Fiars have been associated with dalmations for a long time
I must have missed that one. Lol
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Taylor Swift wrote: 5 years ago
theblueram wrote: 5 years ago The Dominican Fiars have been associated with dalmations for a long time
I must have missed that one. Lol
http://pathtoholiness.com/2009/08/domin ... almatians/

According to the Mythology of Dogs by Loretta Hausman, the association of the Dalmatian and the Dominicans originates from a dream that St. Dominic’s mother had in which she saw a dog holding a flaming torch in its mouth, guiding her son to set a fire of truth to the world.

The Dominicans became associated with Dalmatians specifically because the colors correspond to the order’s colors of black and white for habits and hoods. Pope Honorius is said to have proclaimed Dominicans Domini canes, or the “watchdogs of the Lord.”
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Wow now that is some high level friartown trivia right there.

Woof!

Nicely done.
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

hrstrat57 wrote: 5 years ago

Woof!

Nicely done.
I had five years of Catholic school, 8th-12th. I’ve since defected. Dalmatians are aloof for no reason. And this is coming from someone who’s a complete animal lover.
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Taylor Swift wrote: 5 years ago
hrstrat57 wrote: 5 years ago

Woof!

Nicely done.
I had five years of Catholic school, 8th-12th. I’ve since defected. Dalmatians are aloof for no reason. And this is coming from someone who’s a complete animal lover.
Glad to see you escaped Catholic school in one piece ;) - I served 9th thru 12th and hate dressing up to this day.

Seriously though the dalmatian has to be better than the creepy Abe Vigoda looking Friar mascot, although I haven't paid much attention to PC in several years. For all I know they have moved on from Fish. (For the younger fans, Abe Vigoda was the actor probably most known for playing "Fish" in the show "Barney Miller." He was also in the end of that first "You're playing like Betty White" type Snickers commercial - damn, I'm old!)
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Beachcomber
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Beachcomber »

123, how can anyone write about Abe Vigoda without mentioning that he was Tessio in the Godfather?

C'mon, man, you missed the layup.
4 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Abe Vigoda classic
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Abe Vigoda is Italian for Ruth Bader Ginsberg.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

He swims with the fishes.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Beachcomber wrote: 5 years ago 123, how can anyone write about Abe Vigoda without mentioning that he was Tessio in the Godfather?

C'mon, man, you missed the layup.
You are right! How do I miss that?!?! My bad.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago He swims with the fishes.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago He swims with the fishes.
I screwed up the line. It's 'He sleeps with the fishes'.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I think the anchor looks cool.

I'd hate to give that up over the Ram, but the Ram logo has been completely usurped by the Interlocked two toned RI all together already.

Next year we are due for new uniforms in basketball, so we will see then whether or not we will have an anchor
0 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

Love the anchor. Love the baseball font. Let's do it.
Taylor Swift wrote: 5 years ago Dalmatians are aloof for no reason. And this is coming from someone who’s a complete animal lover.
I think one reason dalmatians can seem aloof or poorly behaved is that about a third of them are congenitally deaf. The process of breeding in the spots (or technically the albino fur underneath the spots) also bred in genes for deafness. Breeders used to think they were ornery or stupid but it turns out the poor freckled buggers just can't hear anything.
0 x