2/16 | Fordham | 2:00PM (NBCSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: 2/16 | Fordham | 2:00PM (NBCSN)

Unread post by ramster »

UCH21377 wrote: 5 years ago
ramster wrote: 5 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago

Hasn't he been coached about that foul he picks up near half court every game, or the one he commits on offense setting a pick every game? If so, he just doesn't get it. Which leads me to another question...we have two new veteran coaches on our staff. What exactly do they do?
What I don’t know Billyboy, is if it is part of the game plan for Harris to pick up a guy at half court? It happens every game. Then he picks up a stupid foul and the guards he is covering sometimes bait him into the foul. Is it possible this is Harris’ idea to do this? If so, then why don’t the coaches stop it? We are 24 games into the season and some of the same things from week 1 are still being questioned.

He also covers guards out to the 3 point line and beyond.

You are right on the offensive oick too. Why, oh why is the same stupid foul still being called?

This is what is frustrating to watch. Other teams are improving as the season goes on, we are treading water or slowly sinking further.
Harris was out almost at mid court when he committed that one foul (his second I think).
UCH,
Harris caused 2 turnovers with his pressure out there but do think he is doing this on his own? Or is coaching requiring him to do this?

If he is doing this on his own why wouldn’t the coaches stop it?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I know I'm just a very lazy (kinda fat) guy...but I'm thinking I don't D up outside of the arc unless specifically directed to do so...
1 x
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

a minor things as people are discussing this game

This is not a 3 day weekend for URI- classes were supposed to be in session Monday. The morning is cancelled now due to the weather, but there is no go home holiday.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Why would you think Cox would go there Harris to start the OT ??

Did he even play in the last 10 minutes of regulation??
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 5 years ago Why would you think Cox would go there Harris to start the OT ??

Because he starts every half all season long, 1st half and 2nd half. For the OT there is a jump ball. Why would you not expect him to jump to start the OT? He only had 4 fouls.
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

reef wrote: 5 years ago Why would you think Cox would go there Harris to start the OT ??

Unless he was just yanked from the starting five, he should have been out there.
0 x
GO RAMS
BlackDogRants
Steve Chubin

Unread post by BlackDogRants »

Gonebarongone wrote: 5 years ago Should have had a legitimate, credible, national search to replace DH. Instead we went 24 inches down the bench. It's amazing it was like 90%/10% pro-Cox.
Oh my lord! I couldn't agree more. We were so so so worried about losing our top tier recruiting class that we took the safe route (at the time) and hired Cox. I remember Harris tweeting -in so many words- that he would only stay if Cox was HC. Could have kept both of those busts, Cox and Harris!
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago

Unless he was just yanked from the starting five, he should have been out there.
Was I seeing things or did JH spend most of the 2nd half with his left quad wrapped in a towel? I think he is playing through something.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

What I don’t know Billyboy, is if it is part of the game plan for Harris to pick up a guy at half court? It happens every game. Then he picks up a stupid foul and the guards he is covering sometimes bait him into the foul. Is it possible this is Harris’ idea to do this? If so, then why don’t the coaches stop it? We are 24 games into the season and some of the same things from week 1 are still being questioned.

He also covers guards out to the 3 point line and beyond.

You are right on the offensive oick too. Why, oh why is the same stupid foul still being called?

This is what is frustrating to watch. Other teams are improving as the season goes on, we are treading water or slowly sinking further.
Harris was out almost at mid court when he committed that one foul (his second I think).
UCH,
Harris caused 2 turnovers with his pressure out there but do think he is doing this on his own? Or is coaching requiring him to do this?

If he is doing this on his own why wouldn’t the coaches stop it?
Ramster I think they are coached to do this. That's how they want to defend. Hurley was pretty much the same way. It is not easy on the bigs and a long learning curve. Not sure we have the guys to play that way this year. Would have loved to see some zone out of the team this year to cover some of their limitations, and get more minutes for Harris, Silverio, and even Preston. Even a zone press, maybe, to pick up the pace, so maybe we get an easy hoop or two. But it is what it is.
2 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Rhody's starting five does seem to be better just by my eye test. They usually start the game neck and neck with the other team. Then things get weird.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 years ago 'law...JH IS involved. He picks up a couple fouls early, and usually cheerleads the 2nd half. It's what he does.
Question...if you looked at 'average distance from opponent's basket per foul'...would JH even have any competition?
To me, this is the most egregious example of poor coaching. I'd never seen a 6'8" player pick up a defensive foul almost at half court before. The first time I saw Jermaine do it, I chalked it up to youthful inexperience. But since then it has happened every single game, multiple times, and Jermaine is in foul trouble 5 minutes into the game. This is completely inexcusable and an indication that he is a victim of lax training.

He is one of the most exciting recruits we've had in recent memory, and his talent is being squandered. He has a great touch away from the basket, and should score in double figures every single game. But he needs to be taught fundamentals of the game -- and that clearly is not happening.

I feel sorry for this young man and his frustration is palpable all the way up in Section 205. This is all on Coach Cox, as is the regression of Tyrese and Dana. These three Freshmen should be combining for 30+ points a game and building a foundation for the next 4 years.
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

HEAR HEAR

if only we hired a coach who knew how to coach and improve their players

if only we hired a coach that has proven he can win championships overseas.. LOL
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago How was Harris ever a top 100 guy? 4 stars and all.
To counter your question, Is it possible Harris really is a Top 100 guy, 4 stars?

Harris shot 80% FTs in HS. He is shooting 74% FTs as a freshman, just behind Dowtin and Russell at 75%. Harris has proven he can shoot.

Questions in my mind:
- Rarely is he taking any 10’ to 15’ shots. Why wouldn’t we have a 6’8” player who is an excellent shooter for his size, taking shots like these?
- He receives the ball at the FT line, passes back out, breaks to the hoop and is often open, yet rarely gets a pass returned to him. Why not pass to him?
- He holds the ball too low whereby guys can swipe at it versus using his height and wingspan to hold the ball above the defensive pressure. Why doesn’t he hold the ball high?
- On defense he shows a lot of energy, very quick feet for a big man. However he seems all over the court. He is picking up guards and trapping them at half court, even caused 2 TOS yesterday, but he commits some cringeworthy fouls doing this. Is the Coaching staff directing him to do this? 24 games into the season I have to believe it’s the HC telling him to do this - but why?
- If it’s NOT the HC directing him to pick up guards at half court and at the 3 point line, then why does he continue to do it and pick up silly fouls?
- Why is he picking up guards out at the 3 point line? He almost got his 4th foul yesterday on a guard attempting a 3 but then the guard was ruled out of bounds - that’s how far Harris was from the paint.
- Harris jumps Center well and often tips the ball to Dowtin. So why didn’t Harris jump to start the OT? He had 4 fouls so he could have won the tip. Simple things?
- Who is the big man coach? Who is working with Harris? Does he have a mentor a la ARD? He seems to have great potential but he is a high potential wild horse in need of instruction and guidance. He needs good plays called for him and we’ll executed by the guards. If he gets fouled he is money at the FT line so why not feed him the ball?
- Why now let him play until he fouls out? Was glad to see him reenter in the 1st half with 2 fouls (DH would never do that) but then he played sparingly in the 2nd half. Why?
- I would hate to see him transfer. Love his shooting skills, enthusiasm, height, length and potential.
- Been saying for months now, let the Freshmen play, especially Harris. There is nothing to lose, except you could lose a guy like Harris if he does not feel he is getting adequate playing time and/or getting the development he expected to receibe when he made the decision to go to URI. Would be a shame to lose him.
I wish I could "like" this 100 times. This is the biggest waste of talent and potential, and it's all because of bad coaching. Pure and simple.
2 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

section(105) wrote: 5 years ago .......did I hear at games end some grumblings, a few boo birds......?
Yes, I heard some boos; I'm in 203.

It was so bad late in the game that some people were just laughing and shaking their heads at what was going on. Pretty sad.
We didn't make a single basket in five minutes of overtime while playing the worst team in our conference at home in front of a large, supportive crowd. This is how I "watched" the OT.
B2bSFlcCAAEk_V2.jpg
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Once again, I ask this question. We hired two veteran coaches who supposedly have a wealth of knowledge between them. Ty is a young coach who is often out on the road recruiting. Many have said they're not seeing development in the young players. Isn't this the job of the two veteran assistant coaches? Anyway, my question is, what exactly do these two guys do?
4 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......we will neva know exactly what they do, or how David has utilized their experiences, or whether or not their inputs have been taken into consideration......for me the won/loss record doesn’t matter much as the season winds down......for me, the biggest failure of the first year of the Cox era will be the lack of development of the freshmen, maybe they came in over rated, but since Stony Brook what growth has there been aside a few games from Martin while Harris makes the same mistakes over and over......very disappointing to have raw talent like Harris apparently under developing......next year seems to have more unknowns than knowns, and that for me is the biggest failure of Cox year one......
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

For what it's worth, Carroll had the scout on this game
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago For what it's worth, Carroll had the scout on this game
Well at least we know who is putting Fatts at the point.
0 x