2/16 | Fordham | 2:00PM (NBCSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Re: 2/16 | Fordham | 2:00PM (NBCSN)

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

Just really can’t shoot. Unfortunately.

1-12 from 3. I guess the only positive is they only took 8 of them before that last possession.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Boy how far we have fallen in a short period of time

We were in position to own this conference the next few years then DH leaves the recruiting class isn't what we thought and Cox looks like a deer in the headlights

Doesn't look good
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Section104 wrote: 5 years ago I’ll make the first positive post...

Fordham +11 was a handout and now that’s sports betting is legal in RI you should be cashing in on every URI game, whether you have a bookie or not.

I’ve made double my annual donation (which may be put on hold) in just the last three games.

Cash in, Rhody Fans! Spend time on a warm beach somewhere in March (we won’t have meaningful games) courtesy of our bad play!
I thought you couldn't legally bet on in-state schools in RI, is that not true?
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

RI_Bred wrote: 5 years ago
Section104 wrote: 5 years ago I’ll make the first positive post...

Fordham +11 was a handout and now that’s sports betting is legal in RI you should be cashing in on every URI game, whether you have a bookie or not.

I’ve made double my annual donation (which may be put on hold) in just the last three games.

Cash in, Rhody Fans! Spend time on a warm beach somewhere in March (we won’t have meaningful games) courtesy of our bad play!
I thought you couldn't legally bet on in-state schools in RI, is that not true?
Oh that may be the case...I’m not sure (I have a bookie)
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

David Cox lost this game at the end of regulation.

How do you have 30 seconds left with a tie game and a time out, NOT TAKE THAT TIME OUT, allow your 2 guard who isn’t a very good PG and is THE WORST shooter in the country to run the offense, hold the ball, and attempt to hoist up a last second shot.

How do you not call a time out? HOW DOES YOUR BEST PLAYER AND POINT GUARD NOT TOUCH THE BALL??

You only needed a single foul shot to win the game.

The whole world knew exactly what would happen on that play - fatts will dribble it up the court for 30 seconds and take an ill advised shot an miss. He threw in a nice wrinkle to turn it over and nearly lose the game.

The nice part was he gave our head coach the opportunity to lose this game twice.

This isn’t baron-esque. This is turning into Jerry D 2.0.
Last edited by Blue Man 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Don, Chris and Steve are not giving any blame at all to Cox on the post game...all about the players...
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

It is pretty much now official - this team sucks. Players were vastly over rated. Rookie coach not yet ready for prime time. Sub .500 record for season now very likely. Major disappointment given the expectations. Hype did not match mediocre level of talent and coaching.
Last edited by RF1 5 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Blue Man wrote: 5 years ago The whole world knew exactly what would happen on that play - fatts will dribble it up the court for 30 seconds and take an ill advised shot an miss. He threw in a nice wrinkle to turn it over and nearly lose the game.
Fatts tried to go behind the back there at the end of regulation on his dribble drive. WTF is he thinking? That is the absolute last thing you need, a difficult, showboat move. Unreal how he continues to get away with that shit. I turned to my wife at the game and said I would sit his ass in OT for that.
2 x
Mobley was fouled.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

URI_05 wrote: 5 years ago I'm starting to think Cox shouldn't get another year.
Just Starting...............???????????
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The two worst 3-point shooters in the conference take the last 2 3-point shots of the game - but that’s not on Cox?
3 x
KeaneyDays
Jim Eitner

Unread post by KeaneyDays »

In the "Post Game Show" on the radio broadcast Don Kaul had a good observation which was even though their free throw shooting wasn't terrible, they were sent to the free throw line enough times where they could have gotten an additional 12 points(approx) just from missed free throws.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Today URI and PC both lost on their home courts to the last place team in their leagues. Read the PC Board and many of the same sentiments.
PC up 6 at half and outscored 49-29 in the second half to Xavier.
Can’t recall when Rhode Island D1 Basketball was ever this bad.
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

A week ago I would have mocked anyone saying something so absurd. In fact, I think I did flatly dismiss a person saying something like this. As bad as we’d been at times this year, I always thought that we still had a chance to be really good next year if we could figure some stuff out over the summer. Right now, if we don’t win any more games this season (a distinct possibility, and another thing I’d have called absurd a week ago), I don’t see how anyone could have even the slightest bit of optimism that this group of players and coaches can turn it around. I don’t want to throw away another year. The theory behind hiring Cox was not about any individual player, but rather to try to continue the Hurley era and build on the success of one coach as we’ve failed to do repeatedly in our history. If we are going to have to eventually start from scratch after Hurley, I see no reason to wait until 2021 to do it.

I obviously have zero insight into what’s Thorr and Dooley and key boosters are thinking, but if it were up to me David Cox, his staff and his players would be coaching and playing for his job. Have to show some sign of life in order to get the opportunity to do better next year. It’s a shame. I really, really like David. I want him to succeed here. But this isn’t a charity.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

You flatly dismissed me actually.

If we get blasted by VCU and Davidson as I expect it’s time in my opinion for Thorr to ask the boosters for help.

Sad.
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Section104
Art Stephenson

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago
A week ago I would have mocked anyone saying something so absurd. In fact, I think I did flatly dismiss a person saying something like this. As bad as we’d been at times this year, I always thought that we still had a chance to be really good next year if we could figure some stuff out over the summer. Right now, if we don’t win any more games this season (a distinct possibility, and another thing I’d have called absurd a week ago), I don’t see how anyone could have even the slightest bit of optimism that this group of players and coaches can turn it around. I don’t want to throw away another year. The theory behind hiring Cox was not about any individual player, but rather to try to continue the Hurley era and build on the success of one coach as we’ve failed to do repeatedly in our history. If we are going to have to eventually start from scratch after Hurley, I see no reason to wait until 2021 to do it.

I obviously have zero insight into what’s Thorr and Dooley and key boosters are thinking, but if it were up to me David Cox, his staff and his players would be coaching and playing for his job. Have to show some sign of life in order to get the opportunity to do better next year. It’s a shame. I really, really like David. I want him to succeed here. But this isn’t a charity.
I’m in complete agreement here...and it sucks
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I just really don't know what to say at this point.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I FOUND THE SILVER LINING!

Now that we suck and are going to be a bottom 1/3 of the conference team, maybe it can finally be our super bowl!!

That's how it works right? When you suck apparently you try against us and there's no way for us to overcome that.

Now that we suck, apparently we'll try and play our super bowl while other teams can't possibly do anything to prevent us from winning! Genius move coach!
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

We just lost at home to a team that had lost 10 of its last 11 games and only had 1 conference win before today. The season is now 80% over so the freshman are no longer totally inexperienced. The whole team looks lost. It all starts and ends with the coach and right now he looks terrible.
3 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Should have had a legitimate, credible, national search to replace DH. Instead we went 24 inches down the bench. It's amazing it was like 90%/10% pro-Cox.
3 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

We had good attendance. 6,258. Unfortunately given our performance all the hard work to build it up is going down the drain.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

KevanBoyles wrote: 5 years ago We had good attendance. 6,258. Unfortunately given our performance all the hard work to build it up is going down the drain.
And a very small showing from students.
1 x
Ramtastico
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Ramtastico »

My DIRECTV unit did not record the game. Maybe they now use AI and realized I didn’t need to see this after the tough week I’ve had.
5 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Gonebarongone wrote: 5 years ago Should have had a legitimate, credible, national search to replace DH. Instead we went 24 inches down the bench. It's amazing it was like 90%/10% pro-Cox.
I don’t fault the hire - you can argue it was the absolute right move at the time and other programs have made similar hires that kept program culture in tact.

That said, you can fault Thorr/Dooley if they allow this to derail our rise to a top tier A10 program.
5 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Section104 wrote: 5 years ago
Gonebarongone wrote: 5 years ago Should have had a legitimate, credible, national search to replace DH. Instead we went 24 inches down the bench. It's amazing it was like 90%/10% pro-Cox.
I don’t fault the hire - you can argue it was the absolute right move at the time and other programs have made similar hires that kept program culture in tact.

That said, you can fault Thorr/Dooley if they allow this to derail our rise to a top tier A10 program.
Agreed, to keep this program from returning to the Stone Age, the leashe must be very short.
2 x
GO RAMS
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

PeterRamTime wrote: 5 years ago
RIFan wrote: 5 years ago This season is very Baron-esque.

It's worse
Jerry D bad
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Just go home from the game.

I went to see the worst team in the A10 play and I did. Forget about records.

As I left after the game, fans were booing URI. It took incredible stupidity for URI to lose this game in regulation.

No FGs in the 5 minute OT by URI.

You can't be a good team in CBB if you can't make 3 point shots.

This is what a full week to practice from the coaching staff produced.

Did URI get anything from pressing Fordham full court other than wear our players who were out there for 30+ minutes?

Cox was badly out coached.
4 x
NCAAs or Bust!
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago
KevanBoyles wrote: 5 years ago We had good attendance. 6,258. Unfortunately given our performance all the hard work to build it up is going down the drain.
Can you blame them?? The coaching in regulation at the end and especially OT was pathetic. No control over his team. Not renewing my season tickets. If I ever want to go to a game I can walk up and tickets without a problem. There is nothing to be excited about next season
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Hiring an assistant to keep the culture in tact? As Mitch McConnell would say, there is no education in the second kick from a mule.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RamStock wrote: 5 years ago
theblueram wrote: 5 years ago
Can you blame them?? The coaching in regulation at the end and especially OT was pathetic. No control over his team. Not renewing my season tickets. If I ever want to go to a game I can walk up and tickets without a problem. There is nothing to be excited about next season
I mean, sure you can do that. But the program needs money to make decisions. I think I'll stay involved for now.
0 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

If Martin doesn’t try to take that incredibly moronic reverse layup with a mostly full shot clock the game is over. Rhode Island is losing games this year because of poor situational awareness. They’re also not doing the basic fundamental things. How about trying to take a charge? Or boxing out? Forget the poor shooting, it can be overcome with better situational play.
3 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Section104 wrote: 5 years ago

Yup. They had a real search. They made what was, in my opinion, the right hire at the time given the circumstances. It is intellectually lazy to look at any situation in which probability is a factor and then second guess based on result. If you have a 6-sided dice and 5 of the sides are blue, you bet on blue; if it comes up red you didn’t make a bad bet. There was a much higher probability that David Cox would be able to maintain a certain level and get the program back to where it was last year with a considerable head start over anyone else they could have hired. The people that were against hiring him were wrong then, but unsurprisingly are the kind of dumb that will never be able to understand why and will claim to have been right all along. Arguing with them is mostly a waste of oxygen.

If you make the smart bet and lose, the only thing you can do is make the best forward looking bet the next time and avoid the sunk cost fallacy.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Not sure what happened to basketball in the ocean state but PC just got blown out at home by X. I’m ok with that result though.
2 x
GO RAMS
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Some stability we have gotten out of Sutton and Carroll also. I know it all starts and ends with the head coach, but what they have done?? No set plays, terrible offense, chucking up threes. Can’t get away with this when you are the worst shooting team in the country
4 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

Did anyone other than Cox really have a chance? I felt like it was his job the moment Hurley went to UConn.
2 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Urifan91 wrote: 5 years ago
PeteRI wrote: 5 years ago Worst game I've ever seen in person
Did you go to the St Joes game last year?
Yeah I actually did but I was trying to forget it. Thanks for reminding me. :cry:
1 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

Rhodygirl2 wrote: 5 years ago The way they just walked out from the halftime back onto the court was terrible. No energy, no enthusiam, all of them with their head down it is clear they don’t want to be here today.

they've done that all year. in fact, today may be the most inspired I've seen them coming back on the floor after half time.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I think the players and fans just want this season to be over.
3 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

UCH21377 wrote: 5 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago
UCH21377 wrote: 5 years ago All three Harris foul calls were correct. He just needs to learn how to play. And Langevine cannot just lower his shoulder and bull into people of course he’s gonna get called with the charge
If you think the third foul was a good call, you have no idea what you’re looking at or talking about.
Show up for a game genius
I'll back you on this UCH. I was at the game and thought all 4 fouls called on JH were legit and it looked like Cyril actually sized the guy up for 3 seconds before he decided to bowl him over.
2 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago Emotion should be legal as long as there’s no physical encounter. SCREW THAT CALL let the boys play.

emotion is find...taunting is not. I don't like getting in the face of another player like that. that was a selfish action by Tate that cost his team 4 points and momentum. of all the mental mistakes in the game, that was the most selfish and most costly.
2 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

Rhode Island this year has losses to schools in the America East, Colonial Athletic Association, Patriot League, Big West Conference, the last place team in the Big East in addition to the two last place schools in their own conference (who are a combined 2-20 in conference games not involving URI and 2-0 in games involving URI). Sorry but that's just unacceptable. Losing a game on the road at Providence or College of Charleston, fine, it happens. But losing games to schools that can barely even beat anyone else in the league in addition to neutral site games against teams in lower level conferences? Or a home game to an America East team? Just not acceptable. It's pretty clear that this team is not good. I could go on and on about the reasons for it but the fact that they're losing to the quality of schools that they're losing to says it all.

This isn't the 2012-2013 Rams. They have what should be an all league point guard. They have one of the top rebounding big men in the conference. They have what should be a top playmaker in the conference. They have talented young players. And it's not translating at all. Where does the blame go? I know for me where it should go. If absolutely no one on the team is improving, some of which are regressing and were better players a year ago, who do you blame?
Last edited by scine20 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
5 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago I want these refs to suffer utterly horrible personal tragedy.

I’m sitting here begging for our guys to show some sort of emotion and this pearl clutching piece of shit is going to call a tech on a guy for yelling after he blocks a shot? Fuck that guy. Go ref 8 year olds if you want to police that kind of stuff.

totally disagree with this take. you can't get in an opposing players face like that. that was a well deserved T and I guarantee if it were the other team doing that and no T called 80% of this board would be whining.
1 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

RIFan wrote: 5 years ago I think the players and fans just want this season to be over.
It feels like the season never started honestly.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

scine20 wrote: 5 years ago
RIFan wrote: 5 years ago I think the players and fans just want this season to be over.

It felt like it started and everything was okay when we beat the best team in the conference and maybe the best team we have played all year in VCU.

The umass and duquesne losses just destroyed us.
0 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 5 years ago
scine20 wrote: 5 years ago

It felt like it started and everything was okay when we beat the best team in the conference and maybe the best team we have played all year in VCU.

The umass and duquesne losses just destroyed us.
I never felt good about this team. Even after the VCU game. Something's seemed off all year.
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago This basketball program has gone from a source of pure joy and my favorite thing in my life to a source of complete frustration and misery and embarrassment in 10 months. Makes me want to throw up what has happened to this program. This season wasn’t turning around after the previous two weeks, but to come out and put up this effort today after having a week off against the worst program on the east coast with two legends in the building...I want to crawl in a hole and weep.

hmmmm...it sounds like Blue Man hijacked TP's account.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

The freshman class has been a huge disappointment and that has been true from the opener against Bryant. Also, you can add Fordham to the Duquesne game as lost due to Langevine's ineptness at the FT line.
1 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

This team just plays with zero emotion or happiness.. they make it hard to get excited
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

How was Harris ever a top 100 guy? 4 stars and all.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Best I can tell these kids are simply not getting coached. Harris needs to understand what he can and cannot get away with. Nothing has changed since day 1. That's coaching. Not to mention the fact that Cox didn't even look at the kid when he got his fourth foul and came out of the game. He has serious potential, but it's debatable if this coach will help him improve. Not to mention that Martin has regressed, and is now playing with zero confidence. The lane violation at the end is totally inexcusable. And there were plenty of other mistakes. Silverio continues to ride the bench in a lost season, even though he is one guy that maybe can make a shot. Yes he has trouble defending, and his ball handling is far from stellar, but he seems to have potential that is being discarded.

The team plays with no passion. Zero. The players move at 3/4 speed, and I'm being nice. The passes are lackadaisical. The cuts to the basket are at half speed. The picks are half-hearted. They play with little or no discipline. The defense breaks down routinely. That #1 on Fordham dominated us. Honor played with more passion than any of our guys, and he's no taller than Fatts.

If I'm Jeff Dowtin, why would I hang around for another year of this? Is this coach helping him improve? Absolutely not. I wouldn't blame him one bit if he moved on. Fatts has taken the brunt of the blame for this season so far. He played pretty well today, except at the end. I couldn't blame him if he left either. Thompson actually played pretty well today.

To me what we have is a lack of leadership in the program. Something needs to change; right away, this year. GBG could very well be absolutely correct in his assessment of the coaching change. I was in the 90% but I now think I was wrong.
4 x
Rammgr
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Rammgr »

If Harris is good enough to start why wasn't he brought back in at some point? Plus he's one of your better FT shooters.
1 x