Message to Coach Cox

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Re: MESSAGE TO COACH COX

Unread post by ace »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago
hrstrat57 wrote: 5 years ago
KevanBoyles wrote: 5 years ago https://www.thescore.com/ncaab/news/1714820

Interesting coincidence and I don’t believe in coincidences. We hired a coach to keep the team together while Crean is advocating you have to tear it apart to begin anew. What would have Machevilli done?

Crean‘s comments remind me of what Jack Kraft did during his first year at URI. Speaking of which does anyone know the backstory of how Kraft came to URI especially after being in the final four and or winning the national championship several years earlier at Villanova?
Good find, thanks.
Crean is a losing idiot. He publicly says these 19-20 year olds don’t have talent. How did he ever get fired at Indiana. I haven’t heard Sean Miller complain about the talent he was left. Crean is saying he should’ve had Georgia renege on their scholarship commitment to all of the returning players.
Good for him for apologizing, I guess, but I still find him really tiresome.

(Archie not Sean)
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago I'd still like to know how many teams do heavy lifting during the season. Steph Curry is probably the best shooter in the world, maybe ever. Does he do heavy lifting during the season? I know nobody agrees with me on this, but even our high school coach only wanted us to lift in the off season. I just don't see how heavy lifting helps a shooter. Ok, kill me.
If you continue to practice while lifting heavy you're fine. Repetition is key. If you are doing very heavy lifting and not working on your shot weight training can definitely affect it. That's obviously not going on with these guys.

If they're training and still practicing then they will adapt to the changes in strength. If anything it should improve their shot because they have more motor control of their muscles. When I was a personal trainer I had a lot of success with my guys lifting heavy in season.

From my experience this is not the problem.
4 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Rhody72 wrote: 5 years ago Cox's only options are sitting on the bench and they are worse than those on the floor.

We are seeing effects of playing 30+ minutes per game. If Cox runs their legs off in practice this week, they will continue to play poorly. A week of light shooting practices is needed.

I still can't get over posters saying play Omar more and criticizing Cox for pulling him after 4 minutes on the floor against Dayton. He was a disaster on both ends of the court during those 4 minutes.

72, yes he played poorly those 4 minutes, but other guys have played just as poorly for longer stretches, and yet they keep playing. Seems to me Cox just doesn't want him on the team, OR there are other things going on behind the scenes we don't know about, which by the looks of things right now is quite possible.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

There are plenty of Fr that don’t see playing time. Omar needs to improve his quickness, his defense & his ballhandling to play at the D1 level. There is a reason he was available late and had previously committed to Santa Clara.
3 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Bob Huggins of West Virginia made a statement today by dismissing two of his starters from the team. They are currently in last place of the Big 12. Looks like there may have been plenty of reasons for the dismissals but he didn’t do it till now when they are in the absolute dumps. Looks like a coach trying to assert his control.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

KevanBoyles wrote: 5 years ago Bob Huggins of West Virginia made a statement today by dismissing two of his starters from the team. They are currently in last place of the Big 12. Looks like there may have been plenty of reasons for the dismissals but he didn’t do it till now when they are in the absolute dumps. Looks like a coach trying to assert his control.

REFRESHING

take notes coach cox - take notes
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Not really buying into that we are going to dramatically improve as shooters next year. We are what we are a bad 3 point shooting team
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 5 years ago
KevanBoyles wrote: 5 years ago Bob Huggins of West Virginia made a statement today by dismissing two of his starters from the team. They are currently in last place of the Big 12. Looks like there may have been plenty of reasons for the dismissals but he didn’t do it till now when they are in the absolute dumps. Looks like a coach trying to assert his control.

REFRESHING

OMG, the players he kicked off the team violated athletic policies. He didn’t kick them off because they suck.
4 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......take a deep cleansing breath this morning Coach......Reynolds gave you a pass on this season.....he thinks DH left you a bad hand........
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Same stuff he was saying about Baron. "You can't really blame the head coach because..."
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Reynolds is not wrong to a degree. Lost our Head coach ( in his prime) and other staff members, which lead to losing two high recruits (to P5 programs UCONN and Nebraska) as well as the possibility of certain future recruits. and all our seniors.= New playbook, new sheriff (HC for the first time in his career), which means creating a new identity and building trust with players on a VERY young team. Thats a HELL of a task. Thats reality.
3 x
GO RAMS
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

We did not lose Amir Harris because of Dan's departure.
4 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

ProJo wants Rhody to fail to protect FriarTown, always has always will.....our on campus arena and any sustained success we have is their nightmare....

Disregard

No excuses

Go Rhody
Last edited by hrstrat57 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago We did not lose Amir Harris because of Dan's departure.
True. Amir Harris decommitted while Hurley was still here (during this season I believe and a couple of days after the others committed). Adams decommitted after Hurley left.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago We did not lose Amir Harris because of Dan's departure.
True, but none the less.
0 x
GO RAMS
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Add Amir Harris and Brendan Adams to the list of guards that can't shoot.
5 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

I wonder if Harris would have stayed had he known how the Hurley/Adams situation was going to play out.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago Reynolds is not wrong to a degree. Lost our Head coach ( in his prime) and other staff members, which lead to losing two high recruits (to P5 programs UCONN and Nebraska) as well as the possibility of certain future recruits. and all our seniors.= New playbook, new sheriff (HC for the first time in his career), which means creating a new identity and building trust with players on a VERY young team. Thats a HELL of a task. Thats reality.
Do you really think that the talent on this team is as limited as it is playing??????????????? This is the coaching and staff!!!!!!!!!!!

And would you call next years recruits a successful recruting year coming off all of the success of the last two years.

Sorry, but this not a case for giving him more time, another year like this one will put the program back five years and many times harder to recover.
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

When a team gets worse - it’s the coaching

This doesn’t mean that he can’t turn into a good coach

But so far - this is a disgrace

I don’t mind losing this year - but ONLY IF our freshmen showed noticeable improvement

So far, only TM shows me that

Time will tell on coach - but I don’t like what I am seeing so far in his coaching debut

Let’s hope he puts egg on my face
1 x
Bill Koch
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bill Koch »

hrstrat57 wrote: 5 years ago ProJo wants Rhody to fail to protect FriarTown, always has always will.....our on campus arena and any sustained success we have is their nightmare....

Disregard

No excuses

Go Rhody
This is a lie. Period.

If you'd like, send me an email using your real name and we'll have an honest conversation about this.
Last edited by Bill Koch 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
11 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago
ElmCityRhody wrote: 5 years ago

REFRESHING

OMG, the players he kicked off the team violated athletic policies. He didn’t kick them off because they suck.
It’s the timing that it’s important here. These kids had a lot of issues coming into the season but only now after they are at the bottom of the league do they get canned.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Bill Koch wrote: 5 years ago
hrstrat57 wrote: 5 years ago ProJo wants Rhody to fail to protect FriarTown, always has always will.....our on campus arena and any sustained success we have is their nightmare....

Disregard

No excuses

Go Rhody
This is a lie. Period.

If you'd like, send me an email using your real name and we'll have an honest conversation about this.
57 do you subscribe to the Projo?

It's not a public institution. It's a company. More people care about, click on, and subscribe to coverage about the Friars. I'm not sure why that's a big shock, nor why it affects people so much on this board.

Whenever URI objectively performs better in a bigger game than PC, we've got "top billing" - it's just that has happened maybe a handful of times in the last 2 decades - but regardless, more PC fans subscribe to and read the journal than URI fans.

Even though PC has about 10% of their fan base that even attended their school (or any college), there are more locals who are PC fans. It's just a fact.

URI graduates 5x the students every year and they all leave the state after graduation, or the team sucked while they were in school so they don't care.

I pay the $16 a month or whatever, and I think the sports section is solid coverage overall, and literally the highest form of media that covers URI period. So I support it, and don't cook up wild conspiracy theories about why something I like isn't getting top billing.

If you do subscribe, fantastic - continue to complain I guess, but there's still more of them than there are of us.

If you don't subscribe - why do you care, and if you care so much, why don't you subscribe?
8 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

Taylor Swift wrote: 5 years ago
ElmCityRhody wrote: 5 years ago COACH COX - time go put your big boy leader pants on and cut Ryan Preston -
I’m assuming you’ve seen his tweet and the thread resulting from said tweet.
Can someone catch me up to speed with this? Haven’t sent the tweet or a thread on this board about it (I probably just skimmed by it while looking)
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Good points BlueMan much to ponder and appreciate the well thought out response.

I no longer subscribe, I follow the basketball related ProJo stuff on twitter but I am reconsidering going for online subscription primarily due to Bill Koch's fine coverage of our team. I'm a bit dismayed of course that my snarky comment base on long history of suffering dating back to the days of Steve Chubin upset Mr Koch so much apparently.

RedSox/Yankees, Bruins/Canadiens, Celtics/ Lakers and most importantly URI/PC (and to a lesser degree in the past uConn,uMass) for me as a true fan there is no middle ground. However, as a URI alumni with great pride in my often maligned school(not only basketball) I raise my tail feathers early and often in defense of my alma mater. Certainly there is no disputing how Smith Hill and yes the ProJo snubbed, ignored and disrespected our school in the past. As a late 70's graduate I was the proud fan of the strongest D1 basketball program in the NE region along with Holy Cross. A new powerhouse league was formed/ Holy Cross got invited we did not. We watched multiple teams bolt from the Eastern 8/ Atlantic 10 for stronger leagues while URI hoops(which many argue is the birthplace of modern basketball) struggled to succeed. Not one peep of protest or support for URI from Smith Hill or the ProJo.The list of woe has been discussed ad nauseam here in the forums I have no interest in revisiting it further.

Now here we are on the cusp of basketball greatness, ready to take our seat at the big dog table - proud owners of a beautiful on campus arena respected and talked about by all and I see the team struggle, at times embarrassing so. BlueMan you yourself overreacted and made accusations you were forced to withdraw and the vitriol from others has far surpassed my comments. So I guess the "always has and always will" part of my statement could be a overreaction in the heat of the moment and incorrect. It was certainly unfair to a fellow forum member (Bill Koch) which many might see as violating the rules.

I won't apologize for how I feel about the past but it is clear Bill Koch is a quality sports journalist. That he is willing to contribute to our forum is welcome and worthy of praise. So I'll be optimistic regarding the present and future coverage of our team by the ProJo.

Regarding this thread at first I thought it was silly - a message to the coach. Then I remembered discussion here about family members and friends reporting back to the previous coaching staff things that were posted here. I've tried to keep that in mind but this week but I and many others may have gone a bit far with negative comments. For example I mentioned in a post that the 1st half performance vs. Dayton was the worst performance I'd seen since the Jerry Duh era. Well maybe it was maybe it wasn't but there is no fairness in comparing this staff and that one in any way. I steer clear of too much criticism of individual players because I know many of them read the forum and would find us questioning their efforts when they work so hard hurtful. Re "the Tweet" well the discipline is up to the coach not my call.

I'd close with this. The schedule sets up perfectly with a redo of nearly all of our poor performances vs conference opponents. In particular, there is much to learn IMHO in how Coach McKillop and the Davidson Wildcats go about their business. Be nice if it is appropriate to say late next Friday night "Mckillop you magnificent bastard I read your book"

Go Rhody let's run the table and go dancin"
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Isn't it kind of a catch-22? The Projo covers PC because the large majority of fans in the area are PC fans. PC has the large majority of fans in the area because of the extensive coverage from the Projo.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago Isn't it kind of a catch-22? The Projo covers PC because the large majority of fans in the area are PC fans. PC has the large majority of fans in the area because of the extensive coverage from the Projo.
This is the part of the “projo bias” argument that I agree with. It’s a little chicken and egg. Providence is covered like a pro team and URI is not. I know Bill has been in this thread, so if he’s reading that isn’t a knock on his coverage - this is a historical issue that goes back generations, and also isn’t limited to the projo and also includes local TV news and radio. That difference in coverage probably accounts for at least some of the difference in fan interest.

I’ve also made the point before that, theoretically at least, the job of a paper is to inform its readership, which includes making editorial decisions regarding what is newsworthy and what isn’t. Totally catering to what you think your audience wants is a betrayal of that mission and, in the bigger picture, has contributed mightily to the dumbing down of news coverage (and consequently to the dumbing down of the public at large over time). Although the nature of sports coverage is different than hard news, you can still apply the same principle to sports coverage. I also understand the reality that business concerns have to drive a lot of the coverage decisions in the modern media landscape, otherwise the news organizations won’t survive - especially newspapers. But it’s worth thinking about.
4 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

To Bill's credit, URI has been getting page in the sports for a bit now. I've certainly noticed it.
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

On the whole, Bill does an excellent job covering URI. The problem has never been with the writers, really, and that’s certainly not an issue now.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Koch has done an great job on the URI beat. I think he has helped elevate the URI conversation on Twitter and social media.

If URI fans are salty about taking a back seat to PC in the media then we can fix that by winning more and at a higher level.

Win at a high level and clicks and asses in the seats follow.
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

STC wrote: 5 years ago Koch has done an great job on the URI beat. I think he has helped elevate the URI conversation on Twitter and social media.

If URI fans are salty about taking a back seat to PC in the media then we can fix that by winning more and at a higher level.

Ask the '78 team how much winning did for local coverage.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago
STC wrote: 5 years ago Koch has done an great job on the URI beat. I think he has helped elevate the URI conversation on Twitter and social media.

I get it Billyboy. I remember as well. But, the media has changed and now URI just needs to win to keep pace. The media is national now. If there is a story in Kingston, RI it will be covered.
7 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Good to see we are bringing up relevant news from 41 years ago.
7 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

In my opinion, the '78 team was the best team in URI history, realistically the only team that had a chance to win a national championship. The fact that even THAT team was basically ignored by local media (and government) is very relevant to this discussion. If it's not relevant, tell me why?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

That's aggressive. The 78 team couldn't get out of the round of 32, the 98 team was a minute from the Final Four and had already beaten a top 5 team with two All-Americans to get to that point.

Also seeing as everyone that was in the General Assembly and the ProJo at the time is long since dead or retired, it's not really relevant to today
4 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago That's aggressive. The 78 team couldn't get out of the round of 32, the 98 team was a minute from the Final Four and had already beaten a top 5 team with two All-Americans to get to that point.

Also seeing as everyone that was in the General Assembly and the ProJo at the time is long since dead or retired, it's not really relevant to today
Couldn't get out of the round of 32.....the loss was a 1 point loss to Duke, a winning shot by us went around the rim and out. Duke went to the championship game and lost by 4 to Kentucky. We could have won a national championship that year. I'm sure the people in this forum that were there would agree. Sly Williams was the most dominant player we ever had. By the way, only the 32 best teams were in the tourney in those days. The point is, PC will always get better local coverage no matter how good we are. Do you disagree with that also?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

My argument wasn't so much the thought that the 78 team couldn't have won, but to say they had a better shot than 98 is just demonstrably false
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago That's aggressive. The 78 team couldn't get out of the round of 32, the 98 team was a minute from the Final Four and had already beaten a top 5 team with two All-Americans to get to that point.

Couldn't get out of the round of 32.....the loss was a 1 point loss to Duke, a winning shot by us went around the rim and out. Duke went to the championship game and lost by 4 to Kentucky. We could have won a national championship that year. I'm sure the people in this forum that were there would agree. Sly Williams was the most dominant player we ever had. By the way, only the 32 best teams were in the tourney in those days. The point is, PC will always get better local coverage no matter how good we are. Do you disagree with that also?
We missed three bunnies in the final seconds. Had we won that game, the regional semi-finals and finals would have been at what is now called the Dunkin' Dump, where we had just beaten that hideous, disgusting institution in the former mental hospital twice in 11 days and won the ECAC New England championship.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

The 98 team should get way more love as the historical best team Rhody has ever had. Granted wasnt alive for the 78 team. Only have minimal memories from the garrick years. But that 98 team was in the final 4 if it wasnt for piss poor officiating in the final minute when madson was trying to foul cat and prb did a half dozen times before stripping the ball and slamming it home. Game should have been over long before Tyson went to the line for 3 to tie.
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

FDshoes wrote: 5 years ago

The 98 team should get way more love as the historical best team Rhody has ever had. Granted wasnt alive for the 78 team. Only have minimal memories from the garrick years. But that 98 team was in the final 4 if it wasnt for piss poor officiating in the final minute when madson was trying to foul cat and prb did a half dozen times before stripping the ball and slamming it home. Game should have been over long before Tyson went to the line for 3 to tie.
I think it was Lee that was fouling Cat (no call), but 31 years ago and it's still a foul!
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: Message to Coach Cox

Unread post by reef »

Man these memories are painful

I would say it was about even what team could have gone further

If URI wins that game in 78 and gets the Regionals in Providence that's a great shot for final 4

If URI plays Kentucky in the final 4 in 98 that's a tough game
0 x
RhodysRelevant
Lamar Odom

Unread post by RhodysRelevant »

steviep123 wrote: 5 years ago

I think it was Lee that was fouling Cat (no call), but 31 years ago and it's still a foul!
it is the reason ill always hate stanford athletics and the lakers. Imagine if odom was eligible for that 98 season..
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I think the '88 team was better than the '98 team. As great as Tyson and Cat were, Silk and Tommy were at least as good, if not better. And then there was Kenny Green....but, anyway, back to message to Coach Cox.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago I think the '88 team was better than the '98 team. As great as Tyson and Cat were, Silk and Tommy were at least as good, if not better. And then there was Kenny Green....but, anyway, back to message to Coach Cox.
Why do we always end up playing Duke in the NCAAT??????
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

It definitely was close which was better 88 or 98

98 went further obviously but got helped facing Valpo in the sweet 16

Both teams beat juggernauts 88 Syracuse and 98 Kansas

88 team was probably better team all year long but once the 98 team got on a roll late it was tough to stop
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago I think the '88 team was better than the '98 team. As great as Tyson and Cat were, Silk and Tommy were at least as good, if not better. And then there was Kenny Green....but, anyway, back to message to Coach Cox.
Why do we always end up playing Duke in the NCAAT??????
I think dukes the only team that I’ve seen Uri play more then once , and never beat. Maddening. Last year was the worst.
0 x
GO RAMS
steviep123
Sly Williams

RhodysRelevant wrote: 5 years ago
steviep123 wrote: 5 years ago

it is the reason ill always hate stanford athletics and the lakers. Imagine if odom was eligible for that 98 season..
The thing is, we didn't need Odom....we were one egregious non foul call from going to the final four. It was clear to everyone watching except the refs that Lee was trying to foul, get Cat to the line (who was a good FT shooter), like is done in every game down a few with under a minute left. They 100% should have called it. And to add insult they actually called a foul on ARD when Madson had the dunk on the resulting "turnover" - 21 years later and it's still infuriating.

And don't get me started on that BS Technical called on Kenny Green in 1988 against Duke or the outrageous offensive foul on EC Matthews 2 years ago against Oregon!
3 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

KeaneyDays
Jim Eitner

Unread post by KeaneyDays »

Does anyone know if Coach Cox or the players read this board?

I for one would be interested to hear some of their reactions because it seems a lot of valid observations, points and suggestions have been made by posters. It seems to me that from the standpoint of building a fan base some feedback/transparency from the team on this board would really help.

I would love to know the dynamics of the personalities of players on the team. From what I gather from some of the posts, this is not a tightly knit team. I remember in years past the players seemed to do everything together on and off the court and the coach often seemed to be the one to facilitate this and this seemed to have a positive impact on the way they played. [I began following URI basketball back in the days of Coach Skinner.]

Coach Cox seems brilliant, very articulate and obviously was an asset to the team in prior years ....but not everyone is cut out to be higher echelon college basketball coach. It takes a real people person who is very likable who the players want to play their hearts out for. If I was Coach Cox, I would be doing some serious soul searching about whether being THE men's basketball coach at this level for this team is really what I am cut out to do... at this time at least.. Based on my poor performance, I would probably give notice so another coach with proven experience could be found and see if I could get my prior job back or secure a position somewhere else. I'd feel like I was taking advantage of URI and the players by hanging around just because I had a contract that promised a bunch of money and perks.

Whatever the problems are that are preventing the team from playing optimally, I hope for their sake it gets ironed out and taken care of ASAP.

Last but not least, if URI wants a winning team, perhaps they ought to restructure the contract to make it cover fewer years but begin with a higher salary than Coach Cox is getting the first year and later change over to a base salary plus bonuses for each game won and a huge bonus if the team wins a championship or goes to the NCAAs with an opportunity to make $1.5 million in a year. You get the idea. That way someone who is confident in their coaching abilities with a proven track record should be interested.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

KeaneyDays wrote: 5 years ago Does anyone know if Coach Cox or the players read this board?

I for one would be interested to hear some of their reactions because it seems a lot of valid observations, points and suggestions have been made by posters. It seems to me that from the standpoint of building a fan base some feedback/transparency from the team on this board would really help.

I would love to know the dynamics of the personalities of players on the team. From what I gather from some of the posts, this is not a tightly knit team. I remember in years past the players seemed to do everything together on and off the court and the coach often seemed to be the one to facilitate this and this seemed to have a positive impact on the way they played. [I began following URI basketball back in the days of Coach Skinner.]

Coach Cox seems brilliant, very articulate and obviously was an asset to the team in prior years ....but not everyone is cut out to be higher echelon college basketball coach. It takes a real people person who is very likable who the players want to play their hearts out for. If I was Coach Cox, I would be doing some serious soul searching about whether being THE men's basketball coach at this level for this team is really what I am cut out to do... at this time at least.. Based on my poor performance, I would probably give notice so another coach with proven experience could be found and see if I could get my prior job back or secure a position somewhere else. I'd feel like I was taking advantage of URI and the players by hanging around just because I had a contract that promised a bunch of money and perks.

Whatever the problems are that are preventing the team from playing optimally, I hope for their sake it gets ironed out and taken care of ASAP.

Last but not least, if URI wants a winning team, perhaps they ought to restructure the contract to make it cover fewer years but begin with a higher salary than Coach Cox is getting the first year and later change over to a base salary plus bonuses for each game won and a huge bonus if the team wins a championship or goes to the NCAAs with an opportunity to make $1.5 million in a year. You get the idea. That way someone who is confident in their coaching abilities with a proven track record should be interested.
There were six guys with winnings ways that helped hold things together. The nucleus is gone. They aren’t winning. The aren’t making shots. They have no identity. Even the captain is wavering in uncertainty to guide the ship. I’m one of those process guys. Coach K was a losing coach for his first few seasons, and I have faith and patience that this team will find its identity and get this thing back on track.

We all know Cox is smart man. He was the players coach for many years. Assistants hold teams together. Coaches win/lose games. Roles have changed now. Your trusting a staff to do the massaging now. The work he used to do.

I’m willing to give the entire team a mulligan this year. Next two seasons, all bets are off.
6 x
Smokinjimit
ARD

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

I do remember how the projo treated URI during the Harrick years. When Lamar was enrolling it got so bad they even rolled out some retired dinosaur to bad mouth the team and the school.
2 x