Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: URI Survey 1/31

Unread post by RF1 »

Though alcohol is not high on my personal list, I filled out the survey as if it was for those that very much desire easy access. It at least will provide a boost in revenue and bring the Ryan Center in line with peer venues (VCU, Richmond, and UMass added alcohol this season and other A-10 schools such as Dayton and St Louis have had it for some time).
Last edited by RF1 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago
Taylor Swift wrote: 5 years ago
ram1980 wrote: 5 years ago At every professional sports venue I've been to, there is someone to stop you from entering the seating area until a stoppage.

Not Fenway park. Can't stand going to games there. People are constantly up and down. Actually wrote to them and in their arrogance they ignored me. Sit at the end of row at Ryan center and am constantly up and down letting people through. I can't imagine what it will be like with beer sales and I like my beer...🍻. Lots of people just don't get it.
I have a massive bruise on my thigh from mistakenly bumping into the armrest at the Mullins Center last weekend letting someone back into the row to get their Bud Lite. Oh sorry, I am sitting in your way watching the game. Let me move for you since you need to get to your seat so quickly, sir.

Also, about the Ryan Center "ushers" I love the women who constantly stomp around making laps around the perimeter of the court with their walkie talkies hanging off their belts. OMG, YOU ARE SO IMPORTANT!! I'm still unclear on what any of them do since there's usually a detail of ~5 SK cops, multiple URI PD, and those other dudes that sit around the court as "security".
Funny, I have thought the same. Vinny Turco does the same - here, there and everywhere. He is non-stop walking. They all must get some good fitbit numbers.
My understanding is Vinny’s title is something like “Facilities” I definitely saw him on TV in Hawaii. Would love his job when he retires. 😂
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago Id like to make a quick comment about our fans leaving before the game ends. I was at the VCU game, tight game down to the final minute or so with tons of exciting moments. Fans were leaving at the 3 min mark. Pathetic. They'd rather beat the traffic then see the Rams finish a great game. Half the building misses the starting lineups too. It was a little embarrassing.
It’s so asinine. One thing I could never imagine doing.
Last edited by Taylor Swift 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

URI96 wrote: 5 years ago There's one usher down by the URI bench that must have some kind of radar. As soon as someone sits down in the 100 level sections behind the bench she's on them like a hawk checking their tickets. It doesn't matter how many empty seats there are or at what point in the game it is.
My eyes are rolling in the back of my head
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

AngloRAM wrote: 5 years ago
spookydog wrote: 5 years ago I got the email & I am not a season ticket holder. Although I do buy the miniplans each year.
I am more concerned about wifi than beer in the seats.

Also, in the Keaney lot, why the f did they put that barrier down the middle of it?
Don't most of us have unlimited data on our phones now? I get unlimited everything on 3 lines for 80 all fees/taxes included.
I have unlimited data but my phone doesn’t work in the rC which makes it imossible to use data. It all has to do with the towers in the area and the demand (people) using their phones. Like I’ve said I’ve been to other events and same thing.
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

A few thoughts from me:

- Wi-fi does stink, but I figured out a work-around. Don't quote me on this, but I believe the URI_Open network lets me use a limited access setting for Wi-fi.
- I'm in Section 205 and the food choices near me are pathetic. But the survey email mentioned some other options I'm not familiar with, since this is my first year as a season ticket holder. If any folks here have opinions on those options, I'd love to hear them.
- Traffic and parking aren't bad at all provided I arrive at least a half an hour before tip-off. I come from Providence, take Rte. 2 to 138, then park near the hockey rink.

All in all, as a Ryan Center newbie I'm thrilled. Wonderful sight lines, good PA system (although this old fart could do with less volume) and comfortable seats. Of course, if we can play more consistent basketball that will make my experience even more enjoyable. :)
4 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

She hasn’t stopped me yet from going into 105 a few games.
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago Though alcohol is not high on my personal list, I filled out the survey as if it was for those that very much desire easy access. It at least will provide a boost in revenue and bring the Ryan Center in line with peer venues (VCU, Richmond, and UMass added alcohol this season and other A-10 schools such as Dayton have had it for some time).
You are one fine American.
2 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

ATPTourFan wrote: 5 years ago She hasn’t stopped me yet from going into 105 a few games.
Your timing has been right.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......there was, today on CBS, a pre Super Bowl segment on cheaper “ fan pricing” in many venues around the county; good simple food/drinks, cheap prices, quickly accessible as opposed to crazy high prices in long line lines.....hhhhhuuummmmm, maybe RC management should take note.....
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

URI96 wrote: 5 years ago There's one usher down by the URI bench that must have some kind of radar. As soon as someone sits down in the 100 level sections behind the bench she's on them like a hawk checking their tickets. It doesn't matter how many empty seats there are or at what point in the game it is.
I watch this woman work often as my seats are in 208 looking at the Rhody bench. I believe a lot of that section is for friends/family of the team. Anybody that is young gets pounced on when they go into that section.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

section(105) wrote: 5 years ago .......there was, today on CBS, a pre Super Bowl segment on cheaper “ fan pricing” in many venues around the county; good simple food/drinks, cheap prices, quickly accessible as opposed to crazy high prices in long line lines.....hhhhhuuummmmm, maybe RC management should take note.....
They do plenty of family 4 packs and $10 tickets and other offers.

What else do you recommend?
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Groupon has some nice deals on tickets.
0 x
GO RAMS
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EZBuckets »

Taylor Swift wrote: 5 years ago My understanding is Vinny’s title is something like “Facilities” I definitely saw him on TV in Hawaii. Would love his job when he retires. 😂
As someone who’s at the arena hours before tipoff & witnesses firsthand - Vinny and many others who may appear to be “just watching” the games handle 90% of their responsibilities before any fan steps foot into the arena. I may be a little partial, but I think the Ryan Center & Athletics/Operations staff do an amazing job to make sure games run smoothly.

The marketing staff alone has a team of people “in the shadows” who break their backs to make sure I don’t look like an idiot out there (even though I do a decent job of doing that myself).

It’s all largely thankless work by dozens of people who just want to make sure our fans enjoy themselves.
6 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

ATPTourFan wrote: 5 years ago
section(105) wrote: 5 years ago .......there was, today on CBS, a pre Super Bowl segment on cheaper “ fan pricing” in many venues around the county; good simple food/drinks, cheap prices, quickly accessible as opposed to crazy high prices in long line lines.....hhhhhuuummmmm, maybe RC management should take note.....

Cheaper beer? 8 bucks for a beer is a bit much for a college basketball game not in a city.
1 x
sandman012
Steve Chubin

Unread post by sandman012 »

More drum core 🥁
2 x
sandman012
Steve Chubin

Unread post by sandman012 »

And play ‘7 nation army’ over the PA , the band’s rendition is sad.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Same old things:

Quality of Food
Lines for Food
WIFI is terrible or nonexistent
Sound system is inadequate - difficult to understand the announcer
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

EZBuckets wrote: 5 years ago
Taylor Swift wrote: 5 years ago My understanding is Vinny’s title is something like “Facilities” I definitely saw him on TV in Hawaii. Would love his job when he retires. 😂
As someone who’s at the arena hours before tipoff & witnesses firsthand - Vinny and many others who may appear to be “just watching” the games handle 90% of their responsibilities before any fan steps foot into the arena. I may be a little partial, but I think the Ryan Center & Athletics/Operations staff do an amazing job to make sure games run smoothly.

The marketing staff alone has a team of people “in the shadows” who break their backs to make sure I don’t look like an idiot out there (even though I do a decent job of doing that myself).

It’s all largely thankless work by dozens of people who just want to make sure our fans enjoy themselves.
Lol I’d never doubt the man isn’t working.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

ATPTourFan wrote: 5 years ago

Crazy high prices? I believe it’s cheaper to take a family to a game than it is to see a movie for what it’s worth.
2 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I've complained about them before so I have to say: this year's pep band is the best ever.
6 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I'm actually against beer sales at the concession stands, but I think they could improve the pub experience:
1. Don't close for private parties; do that somewhere else.
2. More space/more tables.
3. Better food
4. Don't treat the people there like second-class citizens; why does a coach only appear in the donor's lounge?
5. Big screen TV that shows highlights from current and past years.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Honestly, I think this program/fanbase is beginning to outgrow the Ryan Center. I'd love to see the pubs expanded, but how?
0 x
GO RAMS
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

i answered this question for the past 2 years.. LOL
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

THINK BIG I DO
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago Honestly, I think this program/fanbase is beginning to outgrow the Ryan Center. I'd love to see the pubs expanded, but how?
Not even close to outgrowing the Ryan Center- can't sell it out (minus the every-other year PC game and the 1 or 2 well timed/scheduled big A-10 games per season)
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago Honestly, I think this program/fanbase is beginning to outgrow the Ryan Center. I'd love to see the pubs expanded, but how?
......not being an engineer, nor stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last nite, but maybe that dead air void behind the railing of the end zone pub areas could be designed into more/better Pub space or event space......get ready for another Pub area closure for the Alumni Big Chill Weekend game.......put a real sports bar atmosphere there......we are a good engineering school, no?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Rhodyram wrote: 5 years ago
Not even close to outgrowing the Ryan Center- can't sell it out (minus the every-other year PC game and the 1 or 2 well timed/scheduled big A-10 games per season)
I think the capacity is sufficient, but the concourse with the pubs, concessions, trophy case, alumni lounge ect. Not much real-estate left.
1 x
GO RAMS
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

section(105) wrote: 5 years ago
......not being an engineer, nor stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last nite, but maybe that dead air void behind the railing of the end zone pub areas could be designed into more/better Pub space or event space......get ready for another Pub area closure for the Alumni Big Chill Weekend game.......put a real sports bar atmosphere there......we are a good engineering school, no?
I think you nailed it, send that idea to Thor because as of now, its a wasted roped off location for a camera.
2 x
GO RAMS
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Ummm.. hello.. I’ve been saying this for years

Look st my past posts

It’s a no brainer

THING BIG DO WE
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

The ticket nazi! Had a few run ins with her over the years. Takes the job too seriously and is just a rude person.
1 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Yesterday they had an elevated second row of padded seats behind the baseline.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Rhody Guy wrote: 5 years ago
The ticket nazi! Had a few run ins with her over the years. Takes the job too seriously and is just a rude person.

Saw her reviewing Jimmy Baron’s and his wife’s ticket to make sure they were legit. 🙄🙄
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Rhodyram wrote: 5 years ago Yesterday they had an elevated second row of padded seats behind the baseline.
I bet the second row folks were glad to be able to see over someone’s head.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Saw her reviewing Jimmy Baron’s and his wife’s ticket to make sure they were legit. 🙄🙄
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

So I got invited to a luxury box for a work thing to watch the PC/Gtown game the other night. Really brought to light some goods/bads of the situation.

Firstly, I was shocked at how little noise the crowd was... it was a fairly close game and I feel like the Friars had almost no hometown advantage. Gtown often seemed to get bigger cheers from a rather large contingent. The most excitement I was the entire time from the PC student section was in getting in the busses (they all left with 3-5 mins left in a 10 point or so game). The Crowd noise/interest differential between the dunk and the RC was honestly shocking. the other two big URI fans in my box with me all mentioned it.

The most embarrassing thing was some PC player almost deadpanning and rolling his eyes with clapping and saying "Let go Friars!" on the big screen/loudspeaker. I honestly don't know if this was supposed to be a legit pump up the crowd thing or some silly post-modern meme that fell on its face. The young man clearly did not feel comfortable doing this...

On the downside: the new Dunk does make the Ryan center seem a bit second rate in many ways... and I think being in the middle of a bustling downtown creates an atmosphere that appeals to modern students more so then a campus arena in the comparative rural Kingston. The corporate box differential was also big on the side of PC. They have 20 boxes all filled to the brim on a weeknight. We were there because of the Civic center, but it was still the Providence-Warwick convention bureau technically.. Maybe URI could use the RC for more trade shows/events? Or build an exhibit hall into the complex? Wishful thinking I know...

PS: the MC had nothing on EZ buckets. At the end of the game, someone mentioned him on the loudspeaker and I recall thinking "Wait, They had an MC?"
Last edited by Anonymous 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Still need a new announcer. York almost swallowed the mic again.
Last edited by The Dude 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

If Uri was located in Providence with the same amount of success /same conference etc, they would attract at least another 3-4 thousand fans because of the location. Can’t match that obviously. I think Uri can have more trade shows etc once the new on campus hotel is built.
1 x
GO RAMS
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago If Uri was located in Providence with the same amount of success /same conference etc, they would attract at least another 3-4 thousand fans because of the location. Can’t match that obviously. I think Uri can have more trade shows etc once the new on campus hotel is built.
The hotel is going to be a game changer.
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

AngloRam. On Wednesday, I was in town with my wife and a business friend from Berkshire County, Mass. and had dinner at il Massimo on Atwells Avenue in Providence. The restaurant was very crowded which was explained when I learned there was a PC game at the Dunk that evening. My friend remarked about how sleazy some of the crowd looked. My wife retorted what do you expect, they're PC fans!. So that compliments your Dunk experience.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Obadiah wrote: 5 years ago AngloRam. On Wednesday, I was in town with my wife and a business friend from Berkshire County, Mass. and had dinner at il Massimo on Atwells Avenue in Providence. The restaurant was very crowded which was explained when I learned there was a PC game at the Dunk that evening. My friend remarked about how sleazy some of the crowd looked. My wife retorted what do you expect, they're PC fans!. So that compliments your Dunk experience.
Sleazy. 😂😂
1 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

gtfo!!!
1 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

Jesus, need an FBI Wanted poster except have photos of "former players who should be given front row seats no questions asked". If I was Jimmy I'd be like hmm I have a donor check right here but can't hand it over right now need to make sure it's legit. Or I see your knowledge of alumni is as good as the team's 3-point shooting this year.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

rhodyruckus wrote: 5 years ago

Jesus, need an FBI Wanted poster except have photos of "former players who should be given front row seats no questions asked". If I was Jimmy I'd be like hmm I have a donor check right here but can't hand it over right now need to make sure it's legit. Or I see your knowledge of alumni is as good as the team's 3-point shooting this year.
I get someone “doing their job”, however, the demeanor and body language is where I’m lost with this individual. Maybe some people have been hungry for the least bit of “authority” in their life and this is their one shining moment checking tickets in south county...
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

By the way has anyone heard anything on the reason for the midseason change of the Alex and Ani Court to Bank RI?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Taylor Swift wrote: 5 years ago By the way has anyone heard anything on the reason for the midseason change of the Alex and Ani Court to Bank RI?
.......go back some pages in this thread......it was discussed.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

section(105) wrote: 5 years ago
Taylor Swift wrote: 5 years ago By the way has anyone heard anything on the reason for the midseason change of the Alex and Ani Court to Bank RI?
.......go back some pages in this thread......it was discussed.....
Saw and wrote about seeing it, but didn’t see anything on the thread for the reason yet?
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I think Alex and Ani are moving their operations to NY, so that might have something to do with it. As far as I know, no reason has been publicly offered.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

It was reported in a January ProJo article that Alex and Ani are moving their HQ to Providence, not NYC, sometime in March-April time frame.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

"The Alex and Ani Dunkin Center"
0 x
GO RAMS