2/9 | Dayton | 4:00PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Backroads
Jeff Kent

Re: 2/9 | Dayton | 4:00PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by Backroads »

Maybe hire Tony Robbins to talk to the team?

I’m serious
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......Dayton made us look old and slow, we had zero answer for their length, speed, height, and energy........I had a start the bus moment when it was 9-0 and the 25-6 or whatever it was......
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Not only all of that, but the body language...at home no less, against a top rival, in front of almost a sell out...and they mailed it in, showing no emotion whatsoever...even on TV you could plainly see it....I wanted to tell my boss to turn it off, but no one was watching it anyway.

Hurley would have thrown a fit....but even he might have been resigned to it late in the game, similar to the St. Joes game.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

hrstrat57 wrote: 5 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago The coaching staff has lost this team and it's obvious to anyone at the game who is seeing the interactions
I hope you’re wrong Rhowdy but Thorr can’t let this performance go without a response....
I hope I'm wrong too, but I know what I saw. Almost no encouragement or emotion from the coaching staff, players back talking the coaches, etc. The worst was at one point when Omar was taken out it looked like Boswell tried to put his arm around Omar and Omar completely shrugged him off like, "why are you touching me? Get your arm off of me!" People have talked about the lack of chemistry on this team compared to past teams and that is definitely the case. And all of this starts and stops with the head coach.

He has short leashes with the freshmen, they make a mistake and they get pulled. In fairness, especially in a year like this, I think that's the way to do things, you want them to learn how to play the game the right way at this level and know there are consequences for poor decisions. But when they get pulled, how much coaching up do they receive on the bench? Granted I'm behind the bench, so I don't see everything, but it looks like when a player gets pulled for a bad play Cox just stares past them, they may or may not get a fist bump or pat on the ass from an assistant and then there's nothing until they're called on to get back in the game.

Besides that, and I've talked about this before, everything you're trying to teach the freshmen is thrown out when they see how you're coaching the older guys. Let's talk about Omar again and put yourself in his shoes. You've been told you're not getting playing time because your defense isn't good enough. Well what guard ahead of you played good defense? So that argument is out the window for yesterday's game and even then you only get off the bench for four minutes in a blowout. Yeah, you're 0-2 and one of them hit the side of the backboard, but why are you yanked in and out? Fatts played 28 minutes and didn't score a point. He went 0-4 from the field, 0-2 from 3, 0-2 from the line and put a pass into the small of Tyrese Martin's back and he didn't get yanked around like that. Christion Thompson played 23 minutes, went 0-6 from the field, 0-4 from 3 and missed two threes on one possession and didn't get yanked around like that. If you're Omar, did you learn that you need to play good defense to get on the floor and if you make poor decisions you sit or were you led to believe that there are different rules and standards for different players? And if you believe there are different rules you stop receiving coaching because you think none of it really matters because you're just not one of the coach's guys and you start to resent your teammate who has it better than you
7 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If Fatts did get a promise of PT and a free pass to do whatever he wants, to keep him from leaving, well that agreement needs to be scrapped for many reasons. The biggest of which is the effect it's having on the younger players like RR just said.

And if Fatts doesn't like it, then he knows where the door is.

What Thompson has on the coach, I have no idea.

Anyway, I've never seen a team having less fun than this group. Their attitudes reflect on this staff.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We should start a poll....what's the over/under on how many will leave after this season.

My guess is either 2 or 3....Fatts, CT and maybe Tertsea. Let's call it 2.5...…..

House cleaning time.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I don’t really think it’s a good look to be speculating about that stuff by name. I would say that a little bit of roster turnover might not be the worst thing in the world.
5 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

One thing Cox said on the postgame show was that the lack of effort on defense is inexcusable. He said that it would be corrected and guaranteed that it won't happen next Saturday against Fordham and will never happen again. Hasn't he already said something like that before?
4 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

When do students generallly make the official decision/announcement to transfer?Is it a right after the season kind of thing?
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

My favorite cliche in sports- you’re not as good as you look when you win or as bad as you look when you lose. Yesterday was a mess by all accounts, but I definitely still believe there is talent on this roster.

Fatts was encouraged to stay by people on all sides. I wish this season was going better for him. There is absolutely a role for him at this level of basketball, and I kind of hate that he’s becoming a target of so much general frustration. I’m certainly not excusing all parts of his play this year, but damn... is there a saying for what happens past the point of beating a dead horse? Maybe he is more suited to be a role player, but we’ve seen him do too much- last year against Providence and Oklahoma, for example- to completely give up.

I only made it through the first half of this game, so I can’t really comment on the body language and responses to coaching/lack of coaching. I did see Cyril and Dowtin chirping at each other early. That would happen last year, too, and it was interpreted as keeping people accountable. On a poor team, the same action looks like a problem. I don’t know about that. My point is, once things start to go badly, it’s easy to see everything through that lens.

There’s something to be said for building chemistry and coming together through adversity. The recent tournament teams had that. If this current roster can survive this season, hopefully they come out stronger for having done so.
7 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

PeteRI wrote: 5 years ago Listening to the coach now. He used words like "we folded" and "I was embarrassed". That's nice, but what's next?
After Stony Brook he apologized to the people who showed up and said it wouldn't happen again. Three home games later, it happened again against George Mason. They've laid three eggs in ten home games now. And we're just talking about home games. Not just losing, which happens, but not putting in the necessary effort. Thirty percent of the time if you've gone to every home game the coaching staff hasn't had the team ready to go, hasn't been able to make the necessary adjustments during the game to get things back on track, and wasted your time and money. So why should anyone believe things will be different after last night's comments? Yeah, they'll probably come out and play the right way against Fordham because they'll have had to deal with yesterday for a week and they'll probably come out the right way against Davidson because they're good, but you're telling me they won't lay an egg against George Washington and/or UMass? I'll believe it when I see it.

And before someone tries to drop the "well they're young, so they're inconsistent and these things happen" line, let me stop you right here. We're not talking about shooting percentages and turnovers, and talent deficits, we're talking about effort. There is no young team excuse for guys not bringing it every night. Dan's young teams brought it every fucking night, no exceptions. You might have beat us, but you weren't going to outwork us and you were going to know you were in a fight when we got done with you. If anything, younger teams work harder more consistently because they have more to prove and they're scratching and clawing not just for wins but for roles and playing time. And that's not happening here and if Cox truly is demanding it then he's not able to get through to these players, which is just as damning as not demanding the effort.
4 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago One thing Cox said on the postgame show was that the lack of effort on defense is inexcusable. He said that it would be corrected and guaranteed that it won't happen next Saturday against Fordham and will never happen again. Hasn't he already said something like that before?
Yeah, I seem to remember something like that
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago One thing Cox said on the postgame show was that the lack of effort on defense is inexcusable. He said that it would be corrected and guaranteed that it won't happen next Saturday against Fordham and will never happen again. Hasn't he already said something like that before?
I don't know how he can say that and actually believe it.

The same players will be suiting up next Saturday and the same players will be playing the same amount of minutes they always do.

CT and Fatts will get their 25-30 minutes or so and Harris will get his usual 15.....

What's the incentive for these guys to perform or not? Nothing changes...the same coach speak also....penalties for screwing up? Only the freshmen get those.
2 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Geez man. The team is going through a difficult period. Still trying to find it. We have a bunch of new guys and a lot of guys in new roles. I get that everyone is frustrated. I’m frustrated. But calls to fire the coach, gut the team, make guys transfer, etc. sounds super childish. Chill the f out.

Coach is 20 games in. He’ll figure it out. The players are quality ball players. They’ll work in their miscues.

Relax. We sound like a bunch of babies. Sometimes teams go through a funk in sports. They’ll get through it. We’ll get through it. No one expected this team to win 25 games. If we call ourselves fans then we need to stay fans through the difficult periods. Whoever states that they may not renew their tickets since the team is struggling can take a hike. We don’t want you here.

- TheHound
1 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

RR2, my guess is that some of the guys have tuned Cox and the staff out.

If it's reached that point, then what's the solution? Like has been said, some are allowed to screw up constantly and others [freshmen] aren't....so the frustration must be building to where who gives a shit?
1 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Ace, you can't see it on TV, but the entire attitude of players and coaches as the players were coming out of the game was awful. It's been mentioned above and it's absolutely true. Guys not even looking at each other. No high fives, low fives, nothing. I know things aren't going well, but it seems worse than just a bad day or game. Something seems just off, wrong. That has to be fixed, and it's on the coach to fix it, or the coach has to go. Period.
2 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

UCH21377 wrote: 5 years ago Ace, you can't see it on TV, but the entire attitude of players and coaches as the players were coming out of the game was awful. It's been mentioned above and it's absolutely true. Guys not even looking at each other. No high fives, low fives, nothing. I know things aren't going well, but it seems worse than just a bad day or game. Something seems just off, wrong. That has to be fixed, and it's on the coach to fix it, or the coach has to go. Period.
That being said, it will probably have to be fixed after the season. Not advocating he goes now, or after this season.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago I know I say it multiple times, But JEFF DOWTIN IS OUR POINT GUARD!!!!!!!!!!! I would love to know who scouted this game and gave the ball to Fatts. Who is it? Because he is wrong.
This is ultimately where I differ from the give Cox time crowd and think the guy doesn't have what it takes. The best thing he had going before the season and the easiest decision was Jeff Dowtin is our point guard. For some reason he goes away from that. OK, not great, but let's see what happens. When everyone sees the team isn't playing up to its potential and Fatts has regressed, Cox does precisely nothing. There was Fatts yesterday, starting point guard. Why not shake things up and make your best point guard the point guard if for no other reason than to change things up and hope it helps get Fatts back on track? Maybe he'll loosen up a bit if he doesn't have the burden of trying to run the whole offense. What lessons has Cox learned in this instance and applied? Where is the growth from the coach?
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Sorry Sandor.....but there's no excuse for what we've been seeing.

This team should be improving, even if a little at a time. Saying to not worry because they are young doesn't cut the mustard.

Lack of effort is the worst offense. Should not be happening. The coach seems to not have a handle on any of it. He has what was thought to be an experienced staff. What are they doing to solve issues?

UCH, there has to be some accountability. After the season, those who don't want to listen, or play, or give 100%, should be told to leave.

Either they are all in, or all out.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago RR2, my guess is that some of the guys have tuned Cox and the staff out.

If it's reached that point, then what's the solution? Like has been said, some are allowed to screw up constantly and others [freshmen] aren't....so the frustration must be building to where who gives a shit?
Well that's the $750,000 question isn't it. I personally don't think Cox has what it takes but I don't think he's been so bad that you can justify firing him after this season, though I reserve the right to change that opinion if yesterday becomes the norm down the stretch. So really all you can do is hope for the best. Cox will figure it out, we won't have a mass exodus of young talent and fans in the off-season and people will be quoting my posts and saying hahaha you're such a fucking idiot Rhowdyram
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

RR2, the problem I see is that Cox has Fatts at the point because he can't play the 2....and we don't have much at the 2....CT? Please.

The only solution is to play Fatts less, have him spell Jeff at the point when needed...

Of course Cox can't see the forest for the trees, and refuses to sit Fatts...and compounds the problem by letting him ball hog and chuck and duck.

The tape don't lie....DC has to see the half court offense sucks with Fatts at the point, and it's better with Jeff there.

But he refuses to change...and that's on him 100%.

Next season, what will change? Just how much will Hammond play at the 2? Will he rot on the bench and not develop because Fatts still gets his 30 a night?

Based on what we've seen so far, how confident can we be that Cox will make changes? I'm sure not.
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Not sure what's more depressing. Watching this team or reading the board.
1 x
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

Rhodyram wrote: 5 years ago Not sure what's more depressing. Watching this team or reading the board.
Hands down reading this board.
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Rhodyram wrote: 5 years ago Not sure what's more depressing. Watching this team or reading the board.
As luck would have it, both are optional!

(but I do understand the frustration of paying money for something you’re not enjoying. maybe think of it as an investment?)
Last edited by ace 5 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
5 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago Not much to really say about that horrific performance. It was bad enough today to be reminsicient of the Jerry D years. It was my first trip back to the Ryan Center since the GMU debacle and made it two straight games where I left the building with minutes left on the clock. I got out of there with 8 minutes remaining today and I was not alone in walking out to the north lots as people were starting to leave en masse. Sorry I bought a mini plan this season and have to endure two more games. I would advise others to stay away from this train wreck if you haven't already purchased tickets. There is nothing worth coming out for. This team is just flat out bad. I would now not be surprised to see a finish with a sub .500 record. I think it will get even uglier as discontent from all quarters rises and would not be surprised to see departures.
That's the scary thing, and why I'm still so upset this morning. Walking out yesterday felt just like walking out of Keaney after a Jerry D game and I honestly didn't think I'd feel like that again. And it's an issue because it's happened multiple times this year even though we were told it would never happen again after Stony Brook
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

........slight edge to......watching the team play and the coaches coach......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

We need a 2 guard that can shoot.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rhody72 wrote: 5 years ago Omar was awful today. Simply over-matched by the competition.
Everyone was overmatched and Omar only got four minutes. He was far from the biggest problem and he deserved more minutes in a blowout like that if only to get more experience
3 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

rhodyfan3 wrote: 5 years ago Not much to say about this one. Awful. Poor effort.

...I’ve seen it mentioned here once or twice but talk about poor timing for the Jimmy Baron intro? I think we could have done a better job with that
The timing couldn't be helped, unless you did it before the game there was no good time to introduce him, but how did they not have some kind of video package of his career highlights running as part of his introduction? That's Event Presentation 101
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago We need a 2 guard that can shoot.
........May I add that we also need to big that offers an alternative/complement in the offense to the bull in a china shop approach we see now......buckle up, gonna be a bumpy ride this week......
Last edited by section(105) 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago
rhodyfan3 wrote: 5 years ago Not much to say about this one. Awful. Poor effort.

...I’ve seen it mentioned here once or twice but talk about poor timing for the Jimmy Baron intro? I think we could have done a better job with that
The timing couldn't be helped, unless you did it before the game there was no good time to introduce him, but how did they not have some kind of video package of his career highlights running as part of his introduction? That's Event Presentation 101
I guess thats my point. There should have been a video presentation, or something on that lines. We just squeezed him in right after a presentation at half-court with a student-athlete. Obviously because of the way the game played out there wasn't a great time to do it....and maybe he didn't want all of that. Who knows.
2 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

I admittedly didn't see the game but from what I've seen this year the most discouraging thing has been that Dowtin hasn't been the leader of the team and how he has seemingly regressed. I thought that last year he was the most important player on the team. I know a lot of people probably disagree with that assessment. But he's by far the best point guard that the school has had in my time following them, since the early 2000's. Fundamentally he's one of the best players, if not the best player, I've seen since following the program. He should be taking over. He should be one of the best players, if not the best player, in the conference. He's not. I have no idea what happened. But it's frustrating to watch.

It's almost like they're trying to force Fatts Russell at the expense of Dowtin.

There's a whole host of issues right now but Cox sitting Dowtin down and saying you're the leader, you're our best player, everything needs to go through you I think would solve at least some of the current issues.
3 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

PCFriars wrote: 5 years ago There’s a lot of talk of moving on from the coach in this thread. What’s his contract look like? Can the school afford to eat that after just one season?
Five years, $700,000 per year guaranteed. I originally thought only the first three years were fully guaranteed, but in searching the terms now I didn't see that
0 x
NC_Ram
Steve Chubin

Unread post by NC_Ram »

A good leader has to often rely on the advise of those around him. If you think that DH did not use the advise of his dad and Bobby, you're dead wrong. DC has two very seasoned BB coaches on his staff for this very reason. With one head scratcher after another, one has to ask is DC not being given advice, or, is he just not accepting it. In either scenario there's a problem.

The excuses are getting old (new coach, too many Fr, blah blah). We knew exactly who was going to be leaving, who we were left with and should have done something about it. Sorry, but like many on this board, I have followed this team for decades and am not eager to see the program drive off the cliff again. We've come too far!
4 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Watching the team and it's not close. I spent money for the privilege of watching the game yesterday
1 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Anyone who was at that game could not possibly be anything but depressed. Except the folks in red of course. Dayton fans travel well and act with knowledge and class
2 x
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

All marketing efforts in this game were flat to bad. Having the student section line up for a give away at halftime was the easiest way to get them out of their seats and not come back. The 50/50 thing was a debacle of stupidity scale as that pissed off the season tix holders who pay their 5 or 10 dollars each game to support uri athletics extra. Having 3 people staff one of the main consession stands right before the game is horrible arena management.

There was not a redeeming element of the game experience. My parents who come to one game a year noticed all of the above, and that doesn’t even count the on court product which they loved Cyril but talked about players ignoring the coaches when being subbed or actively throwing them off.
2 x
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Unread post by Not Mike Powell »

IMG_5749.JPG
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

urirx wrote: 5 years ago

All marketing efforts in this game were flat to bad. Having the student section line up for a give away at halftime was the easiest way to get them out of their seats and not come back. The 50/50 thing was a debacle of stupidity scale as that pissed off the season tix holders who pay their 5 or 10 dollars each game to support uri athletics extra. Having 3 people staff one of the main consession stands right before the game is horrible arena management.

There was not a redeeming element of the game experience. My parents who come to one game a year noticed all of the above, and that doesn’t even count the on court product which they loved Cyril but talked about players ignoring the coaches when being subbed or actively throwing them off.
I was wondering if any else had noticed the overall production of the game. I think the game began late (4:05?) The TV timeouts seemed off, very few on court timeout contests etc... I know someone who was supposed to be part of the dress like a ram promo and the people in charge of those things missed the timeout slot, so the kids that were to be involved didn't get to participate. The J baron thing, the 50/50 thing/ never did the Newport Propane ball launch/ the team sucked etc....

On the bright side: the game ended at 5:50, Will was great- more players need his effort/energy/selflessness- he's not just a ra-ra guy at the end of the bench. I've seen him encourage and instruct guys throughout the season.
2 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

I can't speak for the other things, but the late start time is 100% TV related and has nothing to do with URI or the Ryan Center ops staff.
1 x
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Unread post by Not Mike Powell »

While I don't think we need to blow up the program, I think we need to bring in better assistant coaches with actual playing experience. When we had Antonio Reynolds Dean on the bench, our big men showed noticeable development even when the team wasn't spectacular (see Earl Watson, Hassan, Kuran Iverson). There's been no noticeable development of any player other than Cyril and Tyrese Martin. Please hire a good assistant coach in the offseason URI.

Baron deserved more than the lackluster reception he got. His #20 jersey should be in the rafters right next to Robert Carothers. Say what you will about UCONN, but they do a great job of honoring their former players with highlights, ceremonies, etc. They have a segment they do every game of "Huskies in the NBA" where they check in on their guys (Shabazz Napier, Kemba Walker) and show their recent highlights. Why aren't we doing that with Jared Terrell, who's having a very successful 2-way season with the Minnesota Timberwolves? I've gotten more joy out of following his individual season than ours. Baron deserved so much more and hopefully the next time he's invited back will be for a jersey retirement. Think big.
3 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

Rhody72 wrote: 5 years ago Omar was awful today. Simply over-matched by the competition.
Everyone was overmatched and Omar only got four minutes. He was far from the biggest problem and he deserved more minutes in a blowout like that if only to get more experience
Oh no Rhowdy...If Omar played more, Thompson would play less and we can't lose his production. You don't have to earn $750,000/year to know that!
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

New attire at Ryan Center games?

4 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Does anyone know what’s happened to the Rhody MBB Instagram page? They’re covering games on the main URI sports account, but it was nice to have that one dedicated to basketball.
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Looking to next year, let me offer some hope. First of all, last season Dayton lost twice to URI including a 25 point loss at The Ryan Center. Dayton
finished 14-`17 and 8th in the league . They added only Toppin and Cohill (Who has added little this season) and lost top scorer Darrell Davis . it took
Toppin all of OOC plus practicing all of last season with the team and half of conference play for Toppin to get to where he now is a budding star. and now
Dayton is arguably the most talented team in the league which had its best game of the year yesterday and is now peaking. So we may see the same type of turnaround for URI, but i think we are going to have to wait for next season to see it happen. At the beginning of the season i said Dayton was going to contend for the top spot and I had no one agree with me because they saw Dayton go 14-17 and also doubted Coach Grant as did Flyer fans. Be patient a little longer . Le's give them a chance to become what we want for them next season while we endure the rest of this one. Confidence is the main problem right now. I think it is time to over encouragement to players who are doubting themselves so much that criticism at this point is no longer helpful. They are so tentative shooting the ball right now. Remember not so far back when Martin was hitting threes ? lack of confidence is contagious
and is now affecting the whole team . They need a little success .Maybe a home game against Fordham and another aginst GW can help . the big picture now has to be next year . Le's hope for the best the rest of the season but keep in mind next year and start encouraging the player the rest of the year
so that they know we support them . I don't think bringing up transferring ( Who is leaving ?) is helpful . We certainly don't need to encourage dissension among the players .
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

When things go bad at KB there is a tendency to blame peripheral things instead of going straight to the point.

Examples:
“Omar was aweful today”. Look, he played 4 minutes. He gets pulled from the game seconds after he makes a mistake, as does Harris. The negative body language from Omar and Harris did not just start yesterday. It’s been there. Not good. Would not see this on a DH team. It might be there but it would not be visible to the general public. Reminding me of Jonathan Holton and Baron. Omar has little or nothing to do with this loss.

“We need to change out the assistant Coaches.” Look, Cox picked his assistants. The Assistants are quiet for the most part on the bench. We do not now how they are personally feeling but judging from body language for weeks and months now I would guess there are opportunities to improve. I don’t believe assistant coaching performance is even in the Top 5 things wrong. I’d focus my attention on the Head Coach.

On this board some of us have said for a long time now, even back in December, that Martin should start, Thompson should not start and minutes given to Freshmen, Harris needs to play more minutes, Dowtin needs to take over running the team.
Starting 5, I said long ago:
Langevine
Harris
Martin
Tate
Dowtin
Gives height, better shooting,better passing, better upside potential. Nothing to lose, play the Freshmen.

I get people saying maybe guys were promised things like starting roles or minutes, we don’t know as this is speculation,but we can’t go on like this with no changes being made in the court in playing time distribution. Plus the bickering, bad body language, etc etc that has been mentioned must stop. Have the issues behind closed doors but not when “the curtain goes up”. Management 101.
4 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago
When things go bad at KB there is a tendency to blame peripheral things instead of going straight to the point.

Examples:
“Omar was aweful today”. Look, he played 4 minutes. He gets pulled from the game seconds after he makes a mistake, as does Harris. The negative body language from Omar and Harris did not just start yesterday. It’s been there. Not good. Would not see this on a DH team. It might be there but it would not be visible to the general public. Reminding me of Jonathan Holton and Baron. Omar has little or nothing to do with this loss.

“We need to change out the assistant Coaches.” Look, Cox picked his assistants. The Assistants are quiet for the most part on the bench. We do not now how they are personally feeling but judging from body language for weeks and months now I would guess there are opportunities to improve. I don’t believe assistant coaching performance is even in the Top 5 things wrong. I’d focus my attention on the Head Coach.

On this board some of us have said for a long time now, even back in December, that Martin should start, Thompson should not start and minutes given to Freshmen, Harris needs to play more minutes, Dowtin needs to take over running the team.
Starting 5, I said long ago:
Langevine
Harris
Martin
Tate
Dowtin
Gives height, better shooting,better passing, better upside potential. Nothing to lose, play the Freshmen.

I get people saying maybe guys were promised things like starting roles or minutes, we don’t know as this is speculation,but we can’t go on like this with no changes being made in the court in playing time distribution. Plus the bickering, bad body language, etc etc that has been mentioned must stop. Have the issues behind closed doors but not when “the curtain goes up”. Management 101.
I kinda like that roster Ramster. I would have Martin as the 2G. He can be a Terrell type bull who can also shoot the 3. I think he can drive hard, get the bucket, the foul or both.
0 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

Ramster, I like that starting 5 too. Plus Fatts can be a spark off the bench, something we lack. And with that lineup, Fatts could sub in for any of the 5 starters. Then down the stretch, you go with the 5 guys playing the best that game.
2 x
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

SandorClegane wrote: 5 years ago Geez man. The team is going through a difficult period. Still trying to find it. We have a bunch of new guys and a lot of guys in new roles. I get that everyone is frustrated. I’m frustrated. But calls to fire the coach, gut the team, make guys transfer, etc. sounds super childish. Chill the f out.

Coach is 20 games in. He’ll figure it out. The players are quality ball players. They’ll work in their miscues.

Relax. We sound like a bunch of babies. Sometimes teams go through a funk in sports. They’ll get through it. We’ll get through it. No one expected this team to win 25 games. If we call ourselves fans then we need to stay fans through the difficult periods. Whoever states that they may not renew their tickets since the team is struggling can take a hike. We don’t want you here.

- TheHound
Not sure how anyone can say with even the faintest hint of unqualified certainty that this coach will figure it out. We all hope he does, but I'm more skeptical every day. And anyone who thinks Fatts is just going to figure it out because he had two great games last season is delusional.

Season tickets are more than just an expression of fandom, they're an investment -- of both money and time -- in a product. This team could lose all their remaining games this season and I'm still going to renew next year. But if the product I'm paying for doesn't improve in 2019-20, or it continues to limp along with no major changes at the top, I'll seriously reconsider my investment.

I do agree with one point: I don't think it helps anything to call for specific players to transfer. It poisons the water if those players stay -- and anyway for someone like Fatts, what other team would even want him?
2 x
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EZBuckets »

I addressed some of this on twitter a bit but I’ll share some thoughts here as well.

1. URI has ZERO control over when the game starts and delays coming out of timeouts. That is all dictated by TV.

2. The student jersey promotion redemption was strategically done at the half to PREVENT students from getting a jersey pregame and leaving at the half. I thought this was smart and only backfired due to how absolutely awful the game was. Students were gonna leave regardless.

3. The Dress like a Ram promotion was missed due to a miscommunication. To whoever knows either of the kids who were supposed to compete, please send me a PM. I want to make sure they get another opportunity to play and/or some free Rhody gear.

4. The 50/50 & Minute of Mayhem situation sucks. But we did pull a ticket and announced the winner immediately after the buzzer.

I’ve said it before but again, EVERY SINGLE THING WE DO IS SCHEDULED. We follow a 20+ page script and every time out is timed to the second in collaboration with TV, Ryan center video/camera production, marketing, band, DJ, cheer, sales etc. This is no small feat and involves a ton of preparation to make sure everyone is coordinated and on same page. The fact most people still don’t realize this is insane to me.

The 50/50 Raffle & Newport Propane promotion is done during the 4th media timeout of the 2H. For the first time I can EVER recall - this timeout did not happen. Media Timeouts happen during the first whistle after 16:00, 12:00, 8:00, & 4:00 of the half. We typically end up with AT LEAST 6-7 TV timeouts in the 2H of every game.

Yesterday was a crazy anomaly where 4-5 minutes went by without a SINGLE whistle. This caused the 3rd media timeout to happen where the 4th should be. Then, neither team called another timeout in the final 3+ minutes, which meant we had no opportunity to do it. Anyone who knows anything about this game should appreciate how insanely rare this is. IT NEVER HAPPENS.

I know people were frustrated by the game, but to be personally attacked over a damn raffle by nearly a dozen different “fans” after I spent 40 straight minutes cheering pretty much by myself as everyone left in droves was really disheartening.

...I’m also not f**king giving up on this team as easy as some people. GO. RHODY.
16 x