All-time Rhody team

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
skwalk47
Jimmy Baron

All-time Rhody team

Unread post by skwalk47 »

So my uncle who is a huge Rhody fan (because of me), despite being a Fordham alum, just underwent heart bypass surgery today. Last night, I was chatting with him and wanted to just distract him and talk about something different so I started talking about what our "all-time" URI team would be from when I went to URI (2004) to present. I thought it was a pretty fun exercise so figured I would throw it on here as well.

What is your all-time team (since when you graduated or started following Rhody)? What do you think of my 2004-present team?

Cheers!

PG Parfait Bitee (Dowtin closing in on this spot)
SG Jimmy Baron
SF Jared Terrell
PF Kahiem Seawright
C Hassan Martin
2 x
URI BS '08 MS '11

NO LONGER waiting on my first NCAA appearance!
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: All-time Rhody team

Unread post by reef »

No EC Matthews ??
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

best wishes for uncle!
1 x
DelroyIsMyHero
Michael Andersen

Unread post by DelroyIsMyHero »

Guard Xavier Munford - although he was more of a combo guard, X had the most raw talent (other than JT) since 2003
Guard E C Matthews - honestly Baron is probably the best pure shooter in URI history but his game was very one dimensional
Forward Jared Terrell - Easily the best player of this time
Forward Delroy James - Seawright could be interchangeable here, but peep the username. I loved Delroy's game.
Big Hassan Martin or Will Daniels - this is hardest for me. Will was a better scorer/shooter. Hassan had killer defense and was a block machine. If we're building a team here with the others, I'd go with Hassan as he would fit perfectly. If we're saying most raw talent, I'd have to go with Will.

Another fun question. How far do you think your since '04 team could realistically go if they were all playing at the same time at their prime?

I think my 5 of Munford, Matthews, Terrell, James, and Hassan Martin would most definitely win the A10 tournament and be ranked throughout the year (depending on SOS). I'd say that team right there is an Elight Eight/Final Four team and could challenge the Dukes/Kentuckys of the world on any court.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I would say since my freshman year: Cat Mobley, Silk Owens, Lamar Odom, Kenny Green and Jimmy Barron.
1 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

From '86 on...

Wheeler
Garrick
Terrell
Green
Odom

The only question for me would be which 2 of 3 (Mobley, Garrick, and Terrell). Tough to leave Cat off this list for sure.
1 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago I would say since my freshman year: Cat Mobley, Silk Owens, Lamar Odom, Kenny Green and Jimmy Barron.

i think having mobley and silk on this list are debatable, but Barron over Garrick and Terrell?
1 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

Since ‘91

wheeler
Mobley
Terrell
Odom
Hass

6th man EC
3 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Overall list

Wheeler
EC
Mobley
Odom
Green

Since I’ve been a fan (8 years old) 1998

Wheeler
EC
Mobley
Odom
Hass
1 x
GO RAMS
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

RhodyRam86 wrote: 5 years ago
theblueram wrote: 5 years ago I would say since my freshman year: Cat Mobley, Silk Owens, Lamar Odom, Kenny Green and Jimmy Barron.

i think having mobley and silk on this list are debatable, but Barron over Garrick and Terrell?
I just loved watching him launch bombs. Best pure shooter I've seen. And I could take Wheeler over Silk. Terrell over Mobley. ARD over Green. Just shows how many great players we've had. I'm sure the older folks would weigh in with Sly and many others.
1 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago

I just loved watching him launch bombs. Best pure shooter I've seen. And I could take Wheeler over Silk. Terrell over Mobley. ARD over Green. Just shows how many great players we've had. I'm sure the older folks would weigh in with Sly and many others.
If there was ever a time not to undervalue a shooter this would be it lol
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

wpbrown8267 wrote: 5 years ago Since ‘91

wheeler
Mobley
Terrell
Odom
Hass

6th man EC
Since 97-98 and this would be my team as well
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago Overall list

Wheeler
EC
Mobley
Odom
Green

Wheeler
EC
Mobley
Odom
Hass

agree for the most part, but no way I would take EC over Terrell.
1 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago
wpbrown8267 wrote: 5 years ago Since ‘91

wheeler
Mobley
Terrell
Odom
Hass

6th man EC
Since 97-98 and this would be my team as well
If I had a solid 8-9 man rotation, I’d add Jimmy, ARD, and Kent
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Terrell ended up being a better overall player but EC even through his injury was the backbone to Hurley’s rebuilding of this program.
2 x
GO RAMS
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago Terrell ended up being a better overall player but EC even through his injury was the backbone to Hurley’s rebuilding of this program.

And he was billed as the NBA player.... and now hes in Finland and Jared Terrell plays for the Timberwolves.

I thought JT easily outplayed him the last couple years, although EC really came out huge at the end of the last couple seasons where JT kinda faded.
JT really faded at the end of last year. That was part of the reason we fell apart a little bit, because he wasnt making shots. In that Duke game he couldn't make anything. EC was the only guy up for that game pretty much.
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

We are still pitting EC and Jared against one another, huh? The only upside to that era ending was supposed to be not having to see/hear that anymore. Oh well.

Both guys were great - in keeping with the thread, they were all-time greats. Both guys were absolutely vital to rebuilding the program.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Since 2004.....

Dowtin
Munford
Terrell
Daniels
Hassan

We would maybe be limited with the interior defense, but offensively they would be close to unstoppable, and if you're making a run in the tournament you want elite athletes.

Daniels and James are a little interchangable for me
And I thought about Jimmy, but his defense wouldnt be up to par, although having a shooter that deadly with a team of athletes like that would be formidable.

Daniels is a little forgotten though, he could really shoot drive in, really strong. Difficult matchup.
James was so up and down sometimes, but he was a real athlete.

We pretty much had an all time team the last two years.

Two years ago with Hass, Kuran and Langevine we had the front court players to hold our own against most anybody, last year that was really a weakness that really kept us from being really great.
Berry and Cyril did well, but we really needed a good big to Make that team final four/national title contenders.
Really wish we could have gotten Kerem Kanter or that Shakur Juiston guy instead of Preston... wouldve made a big difference. Cyril and Andre needed a guy like one fo those two.
0 x
Rammgr
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Rammgr »

What about Sly Williams?
0 x
Rammgr
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Rammgr »

Sorry didn't realize you started from 2004.
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Fan since 61, graduated in 1971

For Rod, I would select John Fultz his favorite from the sixties. For me this task is impossible. All the choices are excellent. I would only add Art Stephenson, class of ‘68. A 6-5 center who still has most of the rebounding records. I was in Kearney when he had 26 rebounds. If you can’t visualize, think Allie Cox. Go Rhody!
0 x
skwalk47
Jimmy Baron

PeterRamTime wrote: 5 years ago Since 2004.....

Dowtin
Munford
Terrell
Daniels
Hassan

We would maybe be limited with the interior defense, but offensively they would be close to unstoppable, and if you're making a run in the tournament you want elite athletes.

And I thought about Jimmy, but his defense wouldnt be up to par, although having a shooter that deadly with a team of athletes like that would be formidable.

Daniels is a little forgotten though, he could really shoot drive in, really strong. Difficult matchup.

Two years ago with Hass, Kuran and Langevine we had the front court players to hold our own against most anybody, last year that was really a weakness that really kept us from being really great.
Berry and Cyril did well, but we really needed a good big to Make that team final four/national title contenders.
Really wish we could have gotten Kerem Kanter or that Shakur Juiston guy instead of Preston... wouldve made a big difference. Cyril and Andre needed a guy like one fo those two.
Daniels was definitely a talented offensive player but he was a really ball dominant 3/4 who thrived in the mid range. Not sure how well that would work with much more talent around him than he had. I think Seawright was under-rated at the 4, a step below Martin on defense and the boards but great passer and pretty skilled post scorer. I don't see how you leave Baron off this list because of the spacing he would provide to any lineup. Then again, I suppose there is a difference between your top 5 and your best lineup, which is what I was going for.
0 x
URI BS '08 MS '11

PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

skwalk47 wrote: 5 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 5 years ago Since 2004.....

Dowtin
Munford
Terrell
Daniels
Hassan

Daniels was definitely a talented offensive player but he was a really ball dominant 3/4 who thrived in the mid range. Not sure how well that would work with much more talent around him than he had. I think Seawright was under-rated at the 4, a step below Martin on defense and the boards but great passer and pretty skilled post scorer. I don't see how you leave Baron off this list because of the spacing he would provide to any lineup. Then again, I suppose there is a difference between your top 5 and your best lineup, which is what I was going for.

I think Seawright was a better rebounder than Hass actually.

I agree with you on the spacing.

But who do you replace JT or Munford? Two NBA players?
Maybe munford, but hes so versatile.

Either way, if it were a whole team, Jimmy would be on it.

Jimmy EC Bitee Seawright and James coming off the Bench.
0 x
skwalk47
Jimmy Baron

Surprised the instant explosion of Cothran - Ulmer off the bench hasnt been mentioned!
0 x
URI BS '08 MS '11

Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Unread post by Not Mike Powell »

Since 2002

Jimmy Baron
Jared Terrell
Delroy James
Hassan Martin
Jason Francis

Seawhright immediately in off the bench for Francis. Including Munford on here is a stretch. Those two years were very forgettable. He wasn't better than Keith Cothran at the SG position, and I don't consider cothran an all-time great.
0 x
skwalk47
Jimmy Baron

Not Mike Powell wrote: 5 years ago Since 2002

Jimmy Baron
Jared Terrell
Delroy James
Hassan Martin
Jason Francis

Seawhright immediately in off the bench for Francis. Including Munford on here is a stretch. Those two years were very forgettable. He wasn't better than Keith Cothran at the SG position, and I don't consider cothran an all-time great.
Who's running the point ?
0 x
URI BS '08 MS '11

rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

We did a trivia question today related to this topic! First 3 people to get it right get a DD gift card. Its been up about 20 minutes and so far only 1 correct answer! I bet a ton of guys here know the answer to this one..

1 x
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago

As good as ARD was, Kenny Green would have eaten him for lunch.
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

A narrow point of view..............Having commuted to Keaney, Providence DDC and The Ryan Center for URI basketball games from Connecticut for 33 years, I have an all-URI team of Connecticut natives.

......Kenny, Jiggy, Sly, Keith and Tyson with Lamont first off the bench. All coached by Tom [from Fairfield] of course.

My all time favorites since the 84-85 season are :

Silk, Cat, Jimmy B. and Eric L as a pure shooters
Tom G. and JT as great on ball defenders
Kenny and Luther as "rim protectors"
Lamar as a unique "point forward".
Lamont and Tavoris as "sky-walkers"
Tyson as the motor
Kaheim and Mike Brown all round play

Tom and Jim as the coaches, who made a difference.
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

rhodyfan3 wrote: 5 years ago We did a trivia question today related to this topic! First 3 people to get it right get a DD gift card. Its been up about 20 minutes and so far only 1 correct answer! I bet a ton of guys here know the answer to this one..

Was it Roland Houston?
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

Kenny Green was the correct answer. 1989-1990 he averaged 17.5 PPG and 10.9 RPG. Also won A-10 POY.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Kenny Green was amazing. If he had better knees he would have had a long NBA career
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

It said All Time Rhody Team...(not necessarily starting 5 so here is my team):

All Time Team since 2004 ("S" = starter):
Will Daniels - S (When taller line up needed)
Dawan Robinson
Keith Cothran
Lamont Ulmer - S (for the love of elevation, but could honestly put any of the others in this spot)
Delroy James
Jimmy Baron
Xavier Munford
E.C. Mathews - S (When smaller line up needed)
Hassan Martin - S
Jared Terrell - S
Jeff Dowtin - S

All Time Team:
Wheeler
Mobley
Terrell
Hassan Martin
Kenny Green
Lamar Odom
E.C. Mathews
Will Daniels
Jimmy Baron
Delroy James
Sly Williams
Tom Garrick
I'm not that old, so I could be missing some old timers here.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

The Dude wrote: 5 years ago It said All Time Rhody Team...(not necessarily starting 5 so here is my team):

All Time Team since 2004 ("S" = starter):
Will Daniels - S (When taller line up needed)
Dawan Robinson
Keith Cothran
Lamont Ulmer - S (for the love of elevation, but could honestly put any of the others in this spot)
Delroy James
Jimmy Baron
Xavier Munford
E.C. Mathews - S (When smaller line up needed)
Hassan Martin - S
Jared Terrell - S
Jeff Dowtin - S

All Time Team:
Wheeler
Mobley
Terrell
Hassan Martin
Kenny Green
Lamar Odom
E.C. Mathews
Will Daniels
Jimmy Baron
Delroy James
Sly Williams
Tom Garrick
I'm not that old, so I could be missing some old timers here.
If you ever Silk Owens you'd have him in there. IMO, the best point guard we've had. Also,
going back a few yrs. John Fultz (Rod's favorite), Art Stephenson and Steve Chubin should be on this list.
We're lucky to have so many good ones.
Of course, these lists are all subjective.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Silk was amazing so much fun to watch as was Tyson really hard to pick between the 2 both were outstanding could do everything

I was too young to recall Jiggy
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I forgot to mention Pappy Owens. Unfortunately for him, the team was so.bad that he had to do too much. I think he wound.up playing every position at one time or other except center. I wish we had him at the 2 now.
Jiggly was very good. He's my third pick for point. A story about him in the PC game that we won. He made a half court behind the back pass for a basket. All the local media, including Gus Parmette on the radio, could talk about was what a hot dog play it was. This, with Ernie D. throwing passes from his ass all year.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

skwalk47 wrote: 5 years ago So my uncle who is a huge Rhody fan (because of me), despite being a Fordham alum, just underwent heart bypass surgery today. Last night, I was chatting with him and wanted to just distract him and talk about something different so I started talking about what our "all-time" URI team would be from when I went to URI (2004) to present. I thought it was a pretty fun exercise so figured I would throw it on here as well.

What is your all-time team (since when you graduated or started following Rhody)? What do you think of my 2004-present team?

Cheers!

PG Parfait Bitee (Dowtin closing in on this spot)
SG Jimmy Baron
SF Jared Terrell
PF Kahiem Seawright
C Hassan Martin
Terrell
EC
Baron
Daniels
Hassan
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago Overall list

Wheeler
EC
Mobley
Odom
Green

Wheeler
EC
Mobley
Odom
Hass
1 change to your overall list.

Wheeler
EC
Mobley
Odom
Sly Williams
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

reef wrote: 5 years ago Kenny Green was amazing. If he had better knees he would have had a long NBA career
If Kenny had healthy knees he would have been at UNC instead of URI, that’s how talented he was.
0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

Silk Owens (PG)
Mobley (SG)
Sly (SF)
Odom (PF)
K Green (C)

Silk over Wheeler - he was a better shooter both from the 3 pt line and the FT line ....
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Silk is the all time leader in scoring. Tyson is the all time leader in assists. Take your pick.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I wasn't born until 1990, but I watched some of the 88' tournament game vs Mizzou last night. Green was a roadblock in the paint defensively. That team passed the ball extremely well and RAN, fast break city.
0 x
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodyblue12 wrote: 5 years ago Silk Owens (PG)
Mobley (SG)
Sly (SF)
Odom (PF)
K Green (C)

Silk over Wheeler - he was a better shooter both from the 3 pt line and the FT line ....
This would be my all time greatest team as well. What a great team this represents.

Silk Owens (PG) - We have had some great point guards in Jiggy Williamson, Tyson Wheeler but Silk was special
Cutino Mobley (SG) - Especially his Senior Year. Mobley was A10 Player of the Year. Excellent FT and outside shooter. Pappy Owens was great.
Sly Williams (SF) - Amazing player. I would put as best player to ever wear a URI Basketball Uniform.
Lamar Odom (PF) - Forever in the URI memories with the winning shot against Temple
Kenny Green (C) - Great offensively, great rebounding, great shot blocking - he could do it all. Would have had a great Pro Career if not for his knees
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago I wasn't born until 1990, but I watched some of the 88' tournament game vs Mizzou last night. Green was a roadblock in the paint defensively. That team passed the ball extremely well and RAN, fast break city.
They averaged 86.5 points per game, one of the top scoring teams in the country. Yes , they were fun to watch.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago I wasn't born until 1990, but I watched some of the 88' tournament game vs Mizzou last night. Green was a roadblock in the paint defensively. That team passed the ball extremely well and RAN, fast break city.
They averaged 86.5 points per game, one of the top scoring teams in the country. Yes , they were fun to watch.
I was a freshman that year....what a great season!
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

steviep123 wrote: 5 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago
I was a freshman that year....what a great season!
It's not often that we have someone average 20 pts. per game. Silk and Tommy BOTH averaged over 20 that year.
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

You really need to watch the next game against Syracuse. He just about singlehandedly destroyed an NBA frontcourt.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 5 years ago
You really need to watch the next game against Syracuse. He just about singlehandedly destroyed an NBA frontcourt.
Man, that sequence of steal by Garrick pass to Silk who was wide open for 3 and drained it. Silk could have had an uncontested layup. He even paused. There was NO ONE under him. This came a couple of plays after a monster alley oop dunk by Green. (Of course, I haven't watched this game in some time, so my memory of the full details might be suspect).
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Speaking of Kenny Green, URI couldn't find a picture of him in a Rhody uniform for his Hall of Fame plaque?
1 x
KeaneyDays
Jim Eitner

Unread post by KeaneyDays »

Just seeing all the names of your faves brings back fond memories watching all but a few of them play. I wonder if there is an archive of videos with highlights from past years teams? I would love to see video of some of the players some of you mention from the 70s and 80s. In fact putting a documentary together of highlights of URI basketball over the past 50 years would be really cool to watch.
1 x