2/6 | Davidson | 7:00PM (ESPNU)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Re: 2/6 | Davidson | 7:00PM (ESPNU)

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

DT 8 points 9 bounds.
Last edited by KevanBoyles 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Davidson -4 never a doubt.

We stink.
1 x
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

PeteRI wrote: 5 years ago I'm not kidding about that Caucasian shit going down in Davidson. That's flat out racism to recruit from other countries just so you can have more white players than black.players

What the hell are you talking about?
2 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote: 5 years ago Another game for the worst 3 point shooting team
In the country where we took OVER TWENTY THREES and lost.

Yeah coaches can’t make shots. But the can put their players and teams’ in positions to win games. We’re not a shooting team. Stop shooting.

I miss Dan.
Dowtin was 3-7 on threes and played a good game
Russell 0-4 on threes and 3-13 FGs
Thompson 0-4 on threes and 1-6 FGs

No reason why Russell or Thompson should be taking 4 threes, they must stop if this team is going to have any chance to win in the A10 Tournament.

We took 23 threes and I can’t recall any of them being “catch and shoot” thythm type threes. Maybe Tate had one, maybe Dowtin.
But Russell and Thompson are always off the dribble and often off balance or leaning, rarely are they squared up to the basket when then release.
2 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago Davidson SUCKS. Awful loss.
A little harsh, I mean they have a damn good record for a reason. Just shows how great McKillop's program is, with the size of their school in a busy NC basketball scene they carve their own niche and will continue to be in the tourney a few times every 5 years at a minimum.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I dont know I think Davidson looks like the best team we've played this year..

We were really not ready for that high level of a game, and that's a team that beat our senior laden team twice last year, where Dan and everyone shit the bed.

McKillop is smart. The only reason we've ever beat them is through our athleticism and defense. They play hard and fundamental defense and offense.

We wont ready.

Allowing the team to shoot that many goddamn threes is beyond me.

When we were on that 3 game winning streak we STOPPED SHOOTING THREES

St bona we shot 13 threes made 5

LA Salle we shot 8

VCU we shot 9

All won solidly.

After that, no less than 18 in each game.

1 and 3
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Rhody15 wrote: 5 years ago
PeteRI wrote: 5 years ago I'm not kidding about that Caucasian shit going down in Davidson. That's flat out racism to recruit from other countries just so you can have more white players than black.players

15 players on the roster. 9 players are white. 4 of those are foreign recruits. You do the math.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Recruiting is hard.

Everyone wants the five stars or the four stars or the sleeper 3 stars.

McGlynn was a great one and done for Hurley. Sadly Matthews went down but that was a perfect get for that year.

Coach M does not recruit the B.A.A.

He recruits a team that can execute his vision. Most mid majors recruit the B.A.A. emulating Duke and Kentucky. Their core players have such extreme talent that they can produce winning at the highest level just by the crazy skill level.

It’s hard to not try and strike lightning via always recruiting the highest level of talent you can get and coaching em up vs true team building.

All I know is we’ve got some really good players but right now a MEH team. We got absolutely schooled tonight despite a very high level of effort.

I don’t know how to fix it.
Last edited by hrstrat57 5 years ago, edited 4 times in total.
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

PeteRI wrote: 5 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 5 years ago

15 players on the roster. 9 players are white. 4 of those are foreign recruits. You do the math.
Geez.... You should get that looked at maybe?
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Even Martin couldn't make a 3....but he'll be OK, he's been our best 3 pt. shooter...just an off night. Even on FT's.

As for Fatts and Thompson, have they even had an ON night shooting 3's this season?

The old definition of insanity applies here....doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result.

They ARE not good shooters, ….forget Thompson....and Fatts won't likely ever be either.

We are what we are.....and Harris get 13 minutes with NO fouls.

Something's rotten in Denmark....there's a major disconnect somewhere between Cox and some of his players.

Needs to be some major changes between now and next season, or an NCAA bid then might be a pipe dream.
2 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

And only 4 TOs.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I wonder if there's any possibility he's recruiting overseas to just get good players period?
Any evidence that he's doing so "just to have more white players than black players"?

I hope we hear tomorrow that maybe you had a few too many tonite...
1 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

No, Davidson does not suck . They are a good team that tonight faced a team that is just plain poor at shooting a basketball.
When are they ever going to recruit a great shooter ?. We haven't had one since Jimmy Baron. They cannot shoot well enough to
beat any good team on its home court . URI played very hard, rebounded on the offensive glass but they can't shoot FTs or
anything else. I guess we can hope their freshmen will improve their shooting next season, but there is no guarantee of that.
Other than that I thought Davidson shot great in the second half and the officiating was extremely one sided especially in the
first half. I n the second half URI couldn't get a call except when twice it took away baskets that I thought should have counted .
Davidson opened the second half and played 7: 15 before picking up their first foul . Really ? I guess they just don't commit ANY
fouls according to tonight's officials . Probably they wouldn't have needed that help to win but it sure didn't hurt. So i guess we
can expect losses at VCU, Dayton and maybe even ST. Joes . If they are going to continue to throw up bricks on the road,that
will be the likely outcomes. Hope things go better at home Saturday . I have officially given up hope of seeing any significant
run to the A 10 tournament because clearly they are not good enough right now . I will be there Saturday to watch and hope for
a victory at home over Dayton, but not counting on it. They gave what they had tonight, so I will have to accept that . you can't
ask for more than that.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

You can’t beat a 3 pt shooting team with 2’s. You also can’t beat them if you don’t make FT’s. We started jacking to over compensate for missing in both categories. We were out-played and out-coached, yet, I am still confident in this team and even more excited about the depth coming in next year. Who knows what turnover we end up having and who else comes in just yet. It’s okay to miss DH, but he’s gone. Play the cards we are dealt, the season isn’t over until it’s over. It’s so very hard to see the forest through the trees...but it’s there. I still love these guys even though they cause me to break at least one inanimate object around my house a week.
Last edited by DC_Rams 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

It was a single digit deficit for the majority of the game while shooting 3-24 from 3 30% fg and 4-12 from the line. How is God’s name can you shoot that bad and still have a chance to win until the final minutes. What is going on with Rhodys shot!?
Last edited by Rhodymob05 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
GO RAMS
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago It was a single digit deficit for the majority of the game while shooting 3-24 !
I believe 10 of those came when down double digits.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago It was a single digit deficit for the majority of the game while shooting 3-24 from 3 30% fg and 4-12 from the line. How is God’s name can you shoot that bad and still have a chance to win until the final minutes. What is going on with Rhodys shot!?
Exactly, can’t beat a 3 point shooting team with 2s?

Uri scored 53. Davidson didn’t hit 70.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

ram1980 wrote: 5 years ago We need to recruit someone that can shoot the damn ball.. Pathetic offensive team. If you can't shoot you need to push the pace.. Have to get some easy shots.. don't understand the offensive philosophy.. it's the same crappy philosophy Hurley had only he had better scorers.. not happy with fatts.. I think he's a selfish player that really isn't very good...
100% so accurate. We also lost games last year by taking terrible shots. And i am done with Fatts. Not good at all. Be a pest on defense and is good at that but he is a total liability on the offensive end.
1 x
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

We lost to a team that is more discipline. Talent wise probably about the same. The difference in a couple weeks when we have them in a prime time game at the RC will be a good comparison. Not worth being angry or frustrated losing to a top team in the A10 on the road with this team.
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 years ago
I wonder if there's any possibility he's recruiting overseas to just get good players period?
Any evidence that he's doing so "just to have more white players than black players"?

Nah, man, I'm as sober as a nun. Just disgusted that's we got our asses handed to us by a bunch of dudes who look like extras from Happy Days.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Every team has 3-24 type shooting nights once in a while...but we are making it into an art form!

Do we make them in practice? Same with FT's? If not, maybe that should be a sign to staff to NOT shoot so many 3's and practice FT's until the cows come home. In Kingston, that shouldn't be so hard lol.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago RR02 - there is one of your TOs again! Every time he does that (which is a lot), I think of you now. It’s such a weird thing to do all the time. Like, I get it sometimes but it seems like it is in his head as a thing to do. It’s definitelt a “thing” for him.
It's just so noticeable because if it's not every game then it's damn close and I can't think of any other coach that does it. I'd love to know his rationale behind it
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago
theblueram wrote: 5 years ago I mean who calls a TO when we just scored?
David Cox, every game.
The weirdest times are when he does it at home. There have definitely been times when we've scored, the crowd is getting ready to get loud, we take a timeout, potential momentum gone
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

I saw most of the game - albeit on phone

JH 1 point .. we sure he’s going to be good ?.. my goodness. How was he rated so high ??? .. hope I’m
Wrong on him

I miss Dan - no way we be this bad w Dan here - and yeah I know UConn got blown out tonight

We needed to Pound Inside and less 3s

Come on COACH

Watching 50 point efforts is awful
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

And can anyone explain Harris?
0 x
GO RAMS
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

I was slipping out on that TO also

I think we were down 5 then ?..

My goodness
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Wish I had turned it off when they got within two in the second half . That way I could have spared myself the disastrous final 8-10
minutes . Well, I'm over it now . It is getting easier to get over as the losses start piling up .Looking forward to dinner after the game
on Saturday . Have to have something to look forward to even if itt's just a Philly cheesesteak.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago We are close. But we aren’t going to win games like this, this year. Not enough horses, not enough maturation or experience and no sense of who we are - we don’t have a defined style of play or an offensive identity (at least one that works for us - being a terrible three point team that takes way too many threes is not a good identity).

Im going to do my best not to get discouraged. I do believe we will be better next year. As I mentioned before the game, though, I am worried about our minutes distribution - more for what it means next year than this year, but even just for this year I’d take more Harris and Tate and less Thompson and Preston.

We have to get tougher, we have to get smarter and we have to improve our offensive skill and approach. Other than that we are fine, though haha
We have an offensive "approach"?
Ready, fire, aim!
1 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

i don't know...he may be on to something. i heard Zion Williamson wanted badly to go to Davidson, but McKillop would have none of it.
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago
theblueram wrote: 5 years ago I mean who calls a TO when we just scored?
David Cox, every game.
The weirdest times are when he does it at home. There have definitely been times when we've scored, the crowd is getting ready to get loud, we take a timeout, potential momentum gone
He's probably just so shocked that we made a shot that he wants to stop and savor the moment for a while.
3 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

KevanBoyles wrote: 5 years ago The effort was there. Good game plan. Just can’t shoot.
Honest question, what about the game plan did you find good?
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

adam914 wrote: 5 years ago

David Cox, every game.
He's probably just so shocked that we made a shot that he wants to stop and savor the moment for a while.
I wish the mysterious timing of the Time Outs was the only thing to be bewildered about

Just keep thinking “it’s a rebuilding year” :oops: :oops: :oops:
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

That's OK luke Dayton sucks on the road too...maybe we can get one.

We are just a bad team on the road....the hoops are smaller so I hear...…

But what's not funny is Cox's use of Harris...the kid can not possibly have any confidence the way he is being jerked around.
5 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

KevanBoyles wrote: 5 years ago JH. Zero fouls and plays 14 minutes. WTF?
He made some very poor decisions shooting, and so normally it wouldn't be bad to have a player sit after them. The problem of course is that Fatts has chucked some of the worst possible attempts this year with no consequences, so of course a freshman is going to see that and think it's OK for him to do as well. Now you have different rules for different players and that leads to problems
3 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Chill, bud.....
Yeah, that's a pretty damn serious charge and frankly I have no idea where it's coming from. I'm with nyg on this one
1 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago That's OK luke Dayton sucks on the road too...maybe we can get one.

We are just a bad team on the road....the hoops are smaller so I hear...…

But what's not funny is Cox's use of Harris...the kid can not possibly have any confidence the way he is being jerked around.

Davidson won at St. Louis. We didn't. Davidson won at George Mason. We got crushed by George Mason at home. Davidson won at St. Bonnie's. Even in a down year, it's always tough to win in Olean. In my opinion Davidson does not suck on the road.
1 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 5 years ago I saw most of the game - albeit on phone

JH 1 point .. we sure he’s going to be good ?.. my goodness. How was he rated so high ??? .. hope I’m
Wrong on him

I miss Dan - no way we be this bad w Dan here - and yeah I know UConn got blown out tonight

We needed to Pound Inside and less 3s

Come on COACH

Watching 50 point efforts is awful
Agree on harris agree on to many 3s. Dont necessarily agree on Dan. Dan was a great motivator and recruiter but not a good in game coach. We lost big games past few years as a result of taking terrible shots especially 3s with less then average shooters.
0 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

He made some very poor decisions shooting, and so normally it wouldn't be bad to have a player sit after them. The problem of course is that Fatts has chucked some of the worst possible attempts this year with no consequences, so of course a freshman is going to see that and think it's OK for him to do as well. Now you have different rules for different players and that leads to problems
I wish fatts followed Dan to Uconnand that's only half a joke. I like him less and less every game
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

JH also got worked defensively by the big guy with the baby hook. Davidson was exposing that match-up.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

To say that we got out coached tonight is the understatement of the century.
Good game plan? You have got to be kidding. The 6'10" kid is not that good but we made him look like an all-american by not trying to double him when he got the ball down low without any defensive pressure. At least try to double him a couple of times to see how he responds.
Why don't we even try to get the ball to Harris down low and see what he can do? Getting him the ball at the 3 point line is ridiculous.
Thompson and Preston should only play if everyone else has fouled out. Play Tate until he fouls out please.
Tonight's box score is an embarrassment.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I’d play Tertsea before I’d play Thompson and I’ve never seen Tertsea play. At least I know he would not be thowing up 3 pointers. Rarely seen a player perform as poorly offensively and defensively, yet, no announcer on TV or sportswriter says boo about it. In fact, the TV announcers say Thompson is explosive, and can get hot, blah, blah, blah..........right.
2 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Right you are Rambone. Dayton may be even worse on the road than URI . As My Alma Mater,I follow Dayton evry game and have seen
all of their games home and away . They shoot well at home and just terrible on the road . They were awful at ST Louis, as bad as URI
was at Davidson, so there is hope against them on Saturday . But if URI beats Dayton I won't be fooled into thinking anything had changed.
1 x
Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody22 »

As fans we tend to overhype and overrate our players. We are a horrible shooting team and will be for the foreseeable future, barring any miracles. We are super excited about next year but other than having more experience and more maturity, the team will be the same. I don't see any of the incoming players solving our shooting woes. We can hope Thompson and Tertsea leave and make room for shooters. If not, we will win games because we are athletically superior and lose games because we can't shoot and/or have low bball IQ.
4 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Rhody22 wrote: 5 years ago As fans we tend to overhype and overrate our players. We are a horrible shooting team and will be for the foreseeable future, barring any miracles. We are super excited about next year but other than having more experience and more maturity, the team will be the same. I don't see any of the incoming players solving our shooting woes. We can hope Thompson and Tertsea leave and make room for shooters. If not, we will win games because we are athletically superior and lose games because we can't shoot and/or have low bball IQ.
Unfortunately you may be right. How much worse can playing the freshmen be, rather than watching the CT shit show every night?

What can the worst be? We lose? We're already doing a good job of that. At least this last abomination wasn't close, so we can't say we choked at the end.

The chickens have come home to roost. We are at best a mid pack A10 team, and likely next season will struggle to make the top 4 as things stand now.

Cox is going to have to hit the recruiting trail to look for shooters....they don't have to be the most athletic guys in the world....just be able to make shots....
3 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Whatever about DH not being a good in game coach / I’ll take him aby day if the week over DC ...

how about we develop JH more ?

So obviously a lot is on him but we Hafta do better than him getting the normal 1-4 points night in and night out — right COACH ???

MY goodness
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

KevanBoyles wrote: 5 years ago The effort was there. Good game plan. Just can’t shoot.
Honest question, what about the game plan did you find good?
I think we defended well and held Davidson in check, I also think we had some good looks from 3 that didn’t go down, Cyril had a lot of looks down low that bounced out and then he missed the FTs. It is shooting - 100% of the reason we are a .500 team is lack of consistent shooting.

I hope these guys take the Jared Terrell approach (you know the guy who made the NBA) and work on their shots until the negative becomes a positive. Don’t rely on being a good slasher, actually work to improve your outside shot. Jared threw up missiles his freshmen year, by his senior year he had a soft touch from deep. Even a miss could lead to an easy put back. Too much clanging going on from deep this year.
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Rhody22 wrote: 5 years ago As fans we tend to overhype and overrate our players. We are a horrible shooting team and will be for the foreseeable future, barring any miracles. We are super excited about next year but other than having more experience and more maturity, the team will be the same. I don't see any of the incoming players solving our shooting woes. We can hope Thompson and Tertsea leave and make room for shooters. If not, we will win games because we are athletically superior and lose games because we can't shoot and/or have low bball IQ.
I would agree except you could have easily said the same thing three years ago when we had a bunch of guys who were not very good shooters. They developed and we made two straight tournaments. No real great shooters on those teams.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago
Unfortunately you may be right. How much worse can playing the freshmen be, rather than watching the CT shit show every night?

What can the worst be? We lose? We're already doing a good job of that. At least this last abomination wasn't close, so we can't say we choked at the end.

The chickens have come home to roost. We are at best a mid pack A10 team, and likely next season will struggle to make the top 4 as things stand now.

Cox is going to have to hit the recruiting trail to look for shooters....they don't have to be the most athletic guys in the world....just be able to make shots....
I agree completely. We are not making the NCAA next year based on the fact that everyone is a year older. The bottom line is that we are an awful shooting team and to win every game by grinding it out with defense will not work. If they don’t get some shooters here nothing is going to change. Cox needs to come up with more of a half court plan. We are lost on offense.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

........the Coach comments in the Koch article in the Journal today bring a new level of coach speak/babble.......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938