Is this a “rebuilding” year for our URI Rams?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Re: Is this a “rebuilding” year for our URI Rams?

Unread post by SandorClegane »

I wouldn’t say this is necessary a rebuilding year. I would just characterize this team is young and inexperienced. Keep in mind we returned ONE player who played meaningful minutes and two players who played reserve roles last year. That’s basically it. The rest of the team (and coach) is developing their game on the fly.

I generally look at rebuilding teams as trying to find a new identity and basically taking the year off. I still think this is a team that could do some damage in the A10 tournament if they get hot heading into year end.

And next year is NOT a rebuilding year... Next years team should have lofty expectations. :twisted:
2 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago Is next year a rebuild year?
That is actually an interesting question.
I did some research on KenPom.com, reviewing Top 50 KenPom teams from this year and where they were rated last year (essentially measuring their improvements).
37 of the 50 teams all posted improvements from last year, but to fairly measure it, I'd have to look at URI at their 125 and look for teams that improved at least 75 spots to become a Top 50 team.
As of right now, there are 5 such teams:
1. San Francisco - 158 last year, 43 this year
2. Utah St. - 139 last year, 42 this year
3. Wofford - 163 last year, 38 this year
4. Lipscomb - 167 last year, 36 this year
5. Iowa St. - 103 last year, 12 this year
So it's a small pool, so let's take it one step further.
What was the average growth from a Top 50 team?
Well to start off, I removed teams ranked inside the top 10 (but not #10).
Why?
The included teams like Virginia, Duke, Michigan St, Gonzaga, Tennesee, Michigan, UNC, and Kentucky, they were teams that technically "improved," but went from 2 to 1, or 3 to 2, and I did not find that the right sample for what I was looking for. I did choose to leave in #10 Wisconsin, who did see a substantial jump.
So we have the five listed above that are extreme jumps and then we have the five I'm going to list that were minimal bumps:
1) Baylor - 34 to 33
2) Syracuse - 41 to 39
3) Texas - 36 to 32
4) Nevada - 25 to 17
5) Auburn - 23 to 15
I will elect to remove the above listed 10 schools and call them outliers.
So of the remaining 19 teams who improved from last season, what was their average growth?
The average team grew 35.5 (so 36 spots) from 2017-2018 to 2018-2019.
If URI improved like an average team in 2019-2020, that would place them with a KenPom ranking of 89.
If URI improved like the 9 "above" average teams, they would improve at a rate of roughly 51.3 (so 51 spots), which would give them a KenPom ranking of 74, which would be competing in the bubble range but probably as an NIT team.
The other option is an easy one -- URI improves through the end of the year and finishes with a KenPom of 100 versus 125.
It would mean if they improved like an average team, they finish with a ranking of 64, and if they improve like an above average team, they finish with a KenPom of 49, and both are solidly in the conversation for a tournament bid.
While KenPom is not an official tournament metric, only one team with a KenPom over 68 has made the tournament in the last 5 seasons as an at-large team so since it is easily accessible data, I don't mind using it for the purposes of this sample.
And of course the option exists where they don't improve next year, but does anyone really believe in that?
None of this math proves it can't happen, just that it would be a substantial change given where they are on 2/2/19.
I also don't think any of this necessarily indicates a "rebuilding" season, but since the goal is "NCAA or bust," that is where my head went.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Well said superfly, I think it also depends on how teams were losing, ie this years rams squad who had the chance to be in a much better standing than they are which to me shows the cabability. That should be factored in. Plus we’re retuning 99% of the team.
0 x
GO RAMS
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Last year we had

Starting 5
Jeff Dowtin SO
EC Mathews SR
Jared Terrell SR (NBA)
Stan Robinson SR (G League)
Andre Berry SR

Bench Rotation of
Jarvis Garrett SR
Cyril Langevine SO
Fatts Russell FR
Nicola Akeke SO
Ryan Preston JR

Now we have a rotation of 7, sometimes 8.

90% of this year’s rosters is in a new role.

ONE RETURNING STARTER!

One.

Four Freshmam. Two now in the starting lineup.

That is a rebuild.

Period.

I know this has been said 7,846 times, but it’s factual.

Every season there are some teams that are 17-13, 18-12 that clicked late in the season or figure it all out the next season.

Next season we will undoubtedly return to a 10-11 man rotation. If you’re fucking up, the bench will have someone gritting their teeth ready to get some burn.

There is no formula as when it will happen for us, but we’ve been IN every game this season, minus two or three. All games that with time and experience we WILL start to win. As a fan, I truly believe that.
7 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

To me, a rebuild means you're basically starting from scratch. That's literally what rebuild means. I'd call it a reload.
5 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

To me it's kind of a middle ground....we only had 3 players return who played meaningful minutes plus one coming back from a long layoff.

So it's not a total rebuild.....but not far from it....
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I agree with Billyboy. It's a reload. Not a rebuild. It's not like we were 7-23 last year, and fired the coach and got a new one. We were in the NCAAT, won the regular season A10 and have a top 50 recruiting class here. Cox was handed a silver platter of reloads if that's what you want to call it.
3 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

OP here

Just looked thru the prediction contest.

Most of you picked 18-12 or thereabouts with a winning conference record.

That's rebuild territory?

I saw this as a NIT team, and believe it is still possible. Coaching staff did a great scout job on today's game and prepared a nearly flawless game plan. Martin is playing at a very high level, Russell has made adjustments to his game emphasizing team ball and Dowtin is a fine floor general. Cutters moving towards Langevine made a few easy buckets possible. Thompson was solid too.

The Massachusetts and Duquesne losses were a bit of a perfect storm. (Hughes and Pierre) Thought the team played somewhat poorly I am tossing both of those losses out for now.

So I - the OP completely reject any rebuild talk. This team can still win the A10 tournament. If we reach the A10 final it's off to the NIT.

That is my obviously contrarian view and I am sticking to it.

Go Rhody.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Yeah I guess that's true. A rebuild takes several years...a reload much less.....

Fucking Pierre...tonight he went 1-6 from 3, making his last 2 games 1-14......
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago Yeah I guess that's true. A rebuild takes several years...a reload much less.....

Fucking Pierre...tonight he went 1-6 from 3, making his last 2 games 1-14......

Of course
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

We were down to 3 bullets from last season. Added 4. Still feels like a rebuild to me.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

DC_Rams,
What is meant by a rebuild? I'm confused on this because URI was picked by A10 Coaches to finish 5th in the conference. That does not seem to be a rebuild to me. Being picked to finish 5th our of 14 Teams seems quite good and the team was viewed quite well. But it seems you mention "rebuild" as a reason to have patience and to an extent look the other way when mistakes or losses take place and we should never/or rarely criticize or question anything, fair statement?

PC has started 3 freshmen but I don't think they look at that as a rebuild
St Bonaventure and Davidson start 2 Freshmen but don't see them as in rebuild form. We only started 1 Freshman until recently and we consensus best recruiting class in the A10 for this season

If we want to say we have not played up to expectations of a 5th place in the A10 than that is true. Acting like it is ok to be in 7th or 8th place instead of 5th because we are in a rebuild year I suppose is your right to do so. I would say it's more because some players have not played to what the Coaching Staff and some of us expected from them.

I wanted Martin starting from Day 1 - he is showing everyone why. If he had started from Game 1 we would be that much stronger and further ahead
Thompson has disappointed many here. He has played about how I would have expected with the exception that his defense and hustle has been lacking more than I would have thought. His below average 28% on 3FGs and 63.6% FT are no surprise - similar to his last full year of play.
Dowtin only shooting 28% on 3's and Fatts only 18.9% on 3's gives us 3 guards with among the worst 3 point shooting performance in the Nation. Don't think this is so much due to rebuilding as much as they just have not shot well at all as a group.

Subbing Martin for Thompson took much too long imho. Should have happened before A10 started - it is very obvious to all now

No problem with Harris starting - just would like to see Cox play him more minutes. Today only 14 minutes with only 2 fouls. We need him playing 25-30 minutes if we are to make noise in the a10 Tournament. Can't win the A10 playing 4 guards.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

NIT isn't really a possibility, as that's now reserved for teams whose bubble burst on Selection Sunday. We're nowhere near at large consideration, so we'd not quality for NIT.
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The NIT's field of 32 usually has about 14 or so teams from 1 bid conferences that won their regular season but lose in their conference tourneys.

Plus the first 4 out on selection sunday get in.....leaves about 14 for other bubble teams just below that.

We would have to have a NET in the 60's or 70's to be in that group. No chance. Even if we finish strong, say 7-2 to get to 19 wins, that will only get us into the 90's or so.....

And I seriously doubt we would play in the CBI....that's a money loser.

Only one shot...and that's a long one...
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Losing your head coach is rebuilding the system. Losing players is rebuilding the roster and rotation. Those other teams like PC didn’t lose their coach.
1 x
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

If URI’s New Head Coach came from outside I might agree with you, but Cox was Dan Hurley’s Assistant Head Coach, he was very much involved with the recruitment of URI’s players and often the Lead Recruiter. Cox was Hurley’s recommendation.

Rebuilding Year sounds like something “invented” to lessen the expectations of this years team and to deflect any and all criticism of the new HC and program.

I have no problem with Cox as HC. I do have a problem with people getting defensive and upset whenever anything this commented on that could be viewed as critical. No secret that I have questioned Thompson’s starting position, his sometimes seeming lack of effort/hustle, his shooting efficiency........and that Martin should start. Calling it a “rebuilding” year seems to mean here to not question anything and wait til next season - this one is written off and the majority of you URI Prediction people were crazy predicting 20 or more wins. I differ. I still think URI has the potential to win the A10 and go to the NCAA. Rebuilding promoters seem to me to have already thrown in the towel and “wait til next year”

Several on this board have recommended Dowtin run the PG or at least lead the offense - we saw more of this yesterday. Also recommended Martin starting and getting more PT - has now happened. Also want Harris getting more minutes and let him go ahead and foul out - has not happened yet but hopefully will.

Next 9 games will tell the story. This team has the potential to win the A10, rebuilding year or no rebuilding year excuses.
4 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

The best comp, that is close to home, is Dayton.
Lost Archie plus Scoochie, Pollars, Cooke and Davis. Brought back Cunningham, Darryl Davis and young guys - look at their performance last season. That is similar to the situation we are in this year, I believe we will finish better than last year’s Dayton team.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We do ramster, but the only way we will is to establish more consistency before the season is out.

We've already proven we can beat good teams at home...now we have to do it on the road...that's a tall task considering we've lost road games to NOT good teams...OK maybe Duquesne isn't bad, but that was a giveaway the other night.

The ceiling is there...no one in this conference stands out yet, although a few have good records but the games are close for the most part.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I think this young team needs the home crowd's energy to feed off of...on the road they don't have that, and we're more susceptible to the type of horror shows we saw last week.

Just going to take a while longer...we see the potential, and that's what makes these ups and downs a little easier to take.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago The best comp, that is close to home, is Dayton.
Lost Archie plus Scoochie, Pollars, Cooke and Davis. Brought back Cunningham, Darryl Davis and young guys - look at their performance last season. That is similar to the situation we are in this year, I believe we will finish better than last year’s Dayton team.
And that speaks to the benefits of having a good program, with things like facilities and budget and fan support and recruiting. I don’t think a good program ever truly goes through a rebuild. I also think URI has an advantage over Dayton last year in that they elevated a guy from within the program to take over. The first job of any new coach is assessing the talent and skills on the current roster. Cox had a leg up there. Grant is very much a Dayton guy, as a player, and a more experienced head coach, but there was still a lack of continuity and a learning curve with the roster.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Webster....Rebuild:1.build (something) again after it has been damaged or destroyed.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......rebuilding is a process.......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

hrstrat57 wrote: 5 years ago OP here

Just looked thru the prediction contest.

Most of you picked 18-12 or thereabouts with a winning conference record.

That's rebuild territory?

I saw this as a NIT team, and believe it is still possible. Coaching staff did a great scout job on today's game and prepared a nearly flawless game plan. Martin is playing at a very high level, Russell has made adjustments to his game emphasizing team ball and Dowtin is a fine floor general. Cutters moving towards Langevine made a few easy buckets possible. Thompson was solid too.

The Massachusetts and Duquesne losses were a bit of a perfect storm. (Hughes and Pierre) Thought the team played somewhat poorly I am tossing both of those losses out for now.

So I - the OP completely reject any rebuild talk. This team can still win the A10 tournament. If we reach the A10 final it's off to the NIT.

That is my obviously contrarian view and I am sticking to it.

Go Rhody.
I don't think they have to win the A10 final to make the NIT. And, still think there's a sliver of a shot @NCAAT by reaching the final (might have to go undefeated til then...but, hey...)
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago If URI’s New Head Coach came from outside I might agree with you, but Cox was Dan Hurley’s Assistant Head Coach, he was very much involved with the recruitment of URI’s players and often the Lead Recruiter. Cox was Hurley’s recommendation.

Rebuilding Year sounds like something “invented” to lessen the expectations of this years team and to deflect any and all criticism of the new HC and program.

I have no problem with Cox as HC. I do have a problem with people getting defensive and upset whenever anything this commented on that could be viewed as critical. No secret that I have questioned Thompson’s starting position, his sometimes seeming lack of effort/hustle, his shooting efficiency........and that Martin should start. Calling it a “rebuilding” year seems to mean here to not question anything and wait til next season - this one is written off and the majority of you URI Prediction people were crazy predicting 20 or more wins. I differ. I still think URI has the potential to win the A10 and go to the NCAA. Rebuilding promoters seem to me to have already thrown in the towel and “wait til next year”

Several on this board have recommended Dowtin run the PG or at least lead the offense - we saw more of this yesterday. Also recommended Martin starting and getting more PT - has now happened. Also want Harris getting more minutes and let him go ahead and foul out - has not happened yet but hopefully will.

Next 9 games will tell the story. This team has the potential to win the A10, rebuilding year or no rebuilding year excuses.
And to take your first point a step further, there are a lot of fans here who have credited Cox with a large portion of our success over the past couple seasons. I've seen quite a few people say Cox is the reason for the good recruiting classes, Cox taught Dan how to run an offense, we went on a winning streak once Cox took over all scouts, etc. etc. So in my opinion, it can't be both. Cox can't be a large part of the reason why we were even good in the first place and then also have it called a total rebuild when he takes over as head coach. If anything it should be the opposite.
4 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

adam914 wrote: 5 years ago
ramster wrote: 5 years ago If URI’s New Head Coach came from outside I might agree with you, but Cox was Dan Hurley’s Assistant Head Coach, he was very much involved with the recruitment of URI’s players and often the Lead Recruiter. Cox was Hurley’s recommendation.

And to take your first point a step further, there are a lot of fans here who have credited Cox with a large portion of our success over the past couple seasons. I've seen quite a few people say Cox is the reason for the good recruiting classes, Cox taught Dan how to run an offense, we went on a winning streak once Cox took over all scouts, etc. etc. So in my opinion, it can't be both. Cox can't be a large part of the reason why we were even good in the first place and then also have it called a total rebuild when he takes over as head coach. If anything it should be the opposite.
Rebuilds go deeper than the coach.

You can rebuild a building and still retain the same building manager but the nuances, structure, on/off switches are rearranged/moved and the new “younger” tenants have moved in.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

How about we call it a "transition" year.....with new coach and staff, many new players, etc.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago How about we call it a "transition" year.....with new coach and staff, many new players, etc.
That’s fair. Lol never debated so much about the definition of a word in my life.

Bottom line is GO RHODY!
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I tend to think most of the people saying those things were being- at worst- hurt, disingenuous assholes and- at best- wildly optimistic, but it is a lot to reconcile.
4 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

ace wrote: 5 years ago

I tend to think most of the people saying those things were being- at worst- hurt, disingenuous assholes and- at best- wildly optimistic, but it is a lot to reconcile.
To be clear, the Head Coach should get 60% of the credit when they win and 60% when they lose. The other 40% is reserved for execution.
0 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

This team also has the potential to go 3-6 down
The stretch and limp into the tourney. This team lost 3 of 5 starters , 4 if you count Berry as a starter and more than 60% of their scoring and have had to rely on 2 freshman for significant minutes. . That constitutes a rebuild. A lot of unrealistic expectations here
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago

To be clear, the Head Coach should get 60% of the credit when they win and 60% when they lose. The other 40% is reserved for execution.
When the hell have you given Cox 1% of the blame following a loss, let alone 60%? I literally called you out this week on putting all the blame on the players and you reiterated that the loss was their fault and not Cox'
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago

When the hell have you given Cox 1% of the blame following a loss, let alone 60%? I literally called you out this week on putting all the blame on the players and you reiterated that the loss was their fault and not Cox'
You’ve already made up your mind, no sense in even talking to you. *peace*
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

You're right. I have made up my mind that you're a honk that shouldn't be taken seriously. Someone that talks about how they support URI but only supports Cox. And now that I proved you wrong that's your lame response
2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

You're right. I have made up my mind that you're a honk that shouldn't be taken seriously. Someone that talks about how they support URI but only supports Cox. And now that I proved you wrong that's your lame response
I only support Cox? I would inherently have to support the team by default, even if that ignorant statement were true. I damn sure don’t need to explain my allegiances to you. I’m a fan, what fucking difference does it make in regards to what capacity it is. All this in fighting to prove a point about what and who I support is such a moot point. I love Rhody basketball and want to see them win at the end of the day. That is all that matters. Nonetheless, it’s clear you’re a fucking idiot and warrant zero further response from me other than “eat a ____”

Signed,

A lame
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......let’s call it then a ......reconstruct renovate restore refashion remodel revamp remake reassemble year......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Ah...good old-fashioned anonymous message board chatter...

1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I only support Cox? I would inherently have to support the team by default, even if that ignorant statement were true. I damn sure don’t need to explain my allegiances to you. I’m a fan, what fucking difference does it make in regards to what capacity it is. All this in fighting to prove a point about what and who I support is such a moot point. I love Rhody basketball and want to see them win at the end of the day. That is all that matters. Nonetheless, it’s clear you’re a fucking idiot and warrant zero further response from me other than “eat a ____”

Signed,

A lame
And homophobic to boot. Get the hell out of here
3 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

4 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Poor kid! Ouch!
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago DC_Rams,
What is meant by a rebuild? I'm confused on this because URI was picked by A10 Coaches to finish 5th in the conference. That does not seem to be a rebuild to me. Being picked to finish 5th our of 14 Teams seems quite good and the team was viewed quite well. But it seems you mention "rebuild" as a reason to have patience and to an extent look the other way when mistakes or losses take place and we should never/or rarely criticize or question anything, fair statement?

PC has started 3 freshmen but I don't think they look at that as a rebuild
St Bonaventure and Davidson start 2 Freshmen but don't see them as in rebuild form. We only started 1 Freshman until recently and we consensus best recruiting class in the A10 for this season

If we want to say we have not played up to expectations of a 5th place in the A10 than that is true. Acting like it is ok to be in 7th or 8th place instead of 5th because we are in a rebuild year I suppose is your right to do so. I would say it's more because some players have not played to what the Coaching Staff and some of us expected from them.

I wanted Martin starting from Day 1 - he is showing everyone why. If he had started from Game 1 we would be that much stronger and further ahead
Thompson has disappointed many here. He has played about how I would have expected with the exception that his defense and hustle has been lacking more than I would have thought. His below average 28% on 3FGs and 63.6% FT are no surprise - similar to his last full year of play.
Dowtin only shooting 28% on 3's and Fatts only 18.9% on 3's gives us 3 guards with among the worst 3 point shooting performance in the Nation. Don't think this is so much due to rebuilding as much as they just have not shot well at all as a group.

Subbing Martin for Thompson took much too long imho. Should have happened before A10 started - it is very obvious to all now

No problem with Harris starting - just would like to see Cox play him more minutes. Today only 14 minutes with only 2 fouls. We need him playing 25-30 minutes if we are to make noise in the a10 Tournament. Can't win the A10 playing 4 guards.

Playing 4 guards worked last year.

Oh yea we also won the A10.
1 x
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I see DC has upped his rants from calling people just idiots to fucking idiots. class.
2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago I see DC has upped his rants from calling people just idiots to fucking idiots. class.
Never mind the fact that I was minding my own business.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I love how mean people are on this board.
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

hrstrat57 wrote: 5 years ago Well is it?

Do we dare guess what Thorr thinks?

What do you think Rhody fans?
they lost their top 4 players
they have 4 freshmen
they lost their coach
they hired a rookie coach

how the living hell could anyone have expected anything other than a rebuilding season?!
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I like "reload" or "transition" too. I love the fact that the team, during a down year, will fall to the middle of the pack, not near the bottom. IF URI finishes 6th this year, then they're in the NCAA conversation by jumping 3 or 4 spots next year. That's do-able. The team will be more experienced and deeper.
2 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote: 5 years ago
hrstrat57 wrote: 5 years ago Well is it?

Do we dare guess what Thorr thinks?

What do you think Rhody fans?
they lost their top 4 players
they have 4 freshmen
they lost their coach
they hired a rookie coach

how the living hell could anyone have expected anything other than a rebuilding season?!
But Survivor,
The Goal for a program with aspirations to be like Dayton and VCU should be to not have rebuilding years, right? Even with Head Coaching changes a good program should continue to be in the top 4 Teams in the A10 I would think
Everyone say the big group of Seniors all graduating - especially once Mathews was out for a year and got the 5th year with Terrell, Robinson, etc. We should have had a better plan, right?

Plus what happened with Bobby Hurley left for Arizona State - does not seem that Buffalo missed a beat did they? And Bobby even had some follow him to ASU?

While this entire discussion about whether it is a Re-build, Re-load, Re-whatever, it is not the way we would want the program to ebb and flow. The problem was we got way too many Seniors grouped together and they all left the cupboard bare from what the sound of all of these reasons, excuses or whatever they should be termed
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Iggy1979 wrote: 5 years ago I like "reload" or "transition" too. I love the fact that the team, during a down year, will fall to the middle of the pack, not near the bottom. IF URI finishes 6th this year, then they're in the NCAA conversation by jumping 3 or 4 spots next year. That's do-able. The team will be more experienced and deeper.
Exactly, this is what I said somewhere up there. Once a program establishes itself as solid, they should never really enter a rebuild, as it’s commonly thought of. With the teams in this conference, URI should stay top half, except in an extreme situation, like multiple injuries. This season has been inconsistent, but they’re buoyed by those things, like recruiting results and a solid season ticket base, that recent success has earned them. And as for having a better “plan”- the plan of having two all-conference level starters and a top 30ish recruiting class is a pretty decent plan.

I don’t even know how to describe what the teams at the bottom of the conference are going through. It’s not even a rebuild because, in all honesty, does anyone expect a team like Fordham to ever be competitive?
4 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I think it would be hard take anyone seriously who argued that Cox was like the Man Behind the Curtain and all of the success the program had recently was due entirely to him. But I also think it is fair to say that he deserves some credit for the contributions that he made while he was on Hurley’s staff, and in the minds of people who are as close to the program as you can get (primarily Dan and Thorr) his contributions were significant enough that they fingered him as the best guy to step in and try to keep it going. That doesn’t necessarily mean it is therefore reasonable to expect that he would bring the polish to the job on his first day that someone with more head coaching experience would have. You knew that when you hired him and it was part of the calculus when you made the hire.

That said, while I do think Cox has room to grow as a coach, I also don’t think the difference between the teams the last couple years and this year is just the relative lack of experience of the coach. This roster was going to produce this type of season, more or less, whether Hurley was the coach or Cox was the coach. I made the comparison in another thread a few days ago between this team and some of Hurleys teams at the beginning of our recent success - from a roster life cycle standpoint, this team is somewhere between the 2013-14 team that went 14-18 and the 2014-15 team that was in the hunt for an at-large bid, and talent wise I think it is similar to both of those teams. Using that lens, we are pretty close to being on schedule - this team will finish somewhere between those teams in terms of on-court results and will similarly bring back everyone and have an increasingly experienced core of talented players.

Whether you want to call that a rebuild or a retooling or a reload or a transition, that is really semantics. The thing to keep in mind is that this team is too talented to be bad and too inexperienced to be really good. This is the type of season a team with that kind of profile will tend to have. It’s better to be a middle-to-upper middle class team that has the talent but lacks the experience than to be one that has the experience but just lacks the talent. Talent is the hard part; experience just requires some patience, and to me that’s the point when people say it is a rebuilding year. Maybe they should use more precise language.

Coming into the season, my sense was most reasonable and knowledgeable fans felt this team probably wouldn’t win the A10 regular season again or compete for an at-large, but best case it could peak late and challenge in Brooklyn. I still think that is possible - I look around the league and don’t see anyone that we couldn’t beat on the right night. I also don’t see anyone we couldn’t trip up against after the UMass debacle. That’s just the way this is going to be. These games matter insofar as the better the seed the more realistic the chance for a Brooklyn run, but mostly this should be about development, individually and as a group, more than the result of any one game.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

And with all the discussion, it reminds me of Jim Baron 2.0 when I said it was too early to write off Hurley and that year’s team. The rest was history

This is the same. Still only half way through the A10 season with the Tournament still to be played

Too early to give the final grade for this season for the HC or the players.

This team could win the A10 Tournament.

Martin Finally got in the starting line up and is playing 37+ minutes
Team has finally stopped shooting 25 three pointers per game

This team has more potential in my eyes than the rebuilding team that it is being called

Just need the right guys on the floor and aggressive defense and rebounding

Dowtin, Langevine and Martin have all A10 potential whether that be 1st, 2nd or 3rd team.
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago

I think it would be hard take anyone seriously who argued that Cox was like the Man Behind the Curtain and all of the success the program had recently was due entirely to him. But I also think it is fair to say that he deserves some credit for the contributions that he made while he was on Hurley’s staff, and in the minds of people who are as close to the program as you can get (primarily Dan and Thorr) his contributions were significant enough that they fingered him as the best guy to step in and try to keep it going. That doesn’t necessarily mean it is therefore reasonable to expect that he would bring the polish to the job on his first day that someone with more head coaching experience would have. You knew that when you hired him and it was part of the calculus when you made the hire.
Of course Cox deserves credit as a contributor. I don’t know anyone who would argue that. And, there were only a handful of people, mainly in one awful thread, who credited Dave with it all (again, in their feelings or just being a willful jerk).

I don’t know if this team would be better under Dan, and MY GOD, that is a debate I really don’t want to have. It’s pointless and unknowable. There are adjustments to being a first time head coach- that it all comes back to you is a thing people know before taking the position, but the reality is something else. It’s evident in things like recruiting. It’s one thing to say you’re going to be the head coach but continue to recruit like an assistant, but it’s just not possible. Bashir Mason took grad courses his first year as a coach- not sustainable!

That adjustment to being the main guy may show up in the record a little, but I think it surfaces more in the stress level of the head coach. The Athletic ran a series of articles after last season with first year head coaches. I’d love to see Cox featured if they continue with it.
1 x