Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

RhodysRelevant wrote: 5 years ago
theblueram wrote: 5 years ago The band was great. But what caught me off guard was Rhody out there at mid court busting moves. I think people were actually stunned because there was not much reaction. But, if we are staying with this mascot, we need more of that!!!! Reminded me of old Rhody!!!!
He was awesome!
My guess is that was an entirely new person in the costume. I know there used to be at least 4-5 Rhodys (that I knew of). I think we have a new person, there must have been an audition last semester. It was needed badly.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 5 years ago What was the chant ?
I couldnt make out the words but it was something where JV yelled a word then the crowd repeated, three different words.
0 x
GO RAMS
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EZBuckets »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago Anyone notice the new student Chant? Fire new chant in what 20 years?
Glad someone noticed!

The chant was a call & response: I say Rhody, you say Rams...I say Keaney you say blue...etc etc

The student Ruckus leaders & marketing have brainstormed a few new chants we’re trying to work in. It’s been tough with only 3 home games students have actually been on campus for. Will take a bit to get everyone familiar but I’m happy we’re working new stuff in & hope to have a few more in the mix by the end of the season.
5 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

I noticed that as students entered the game they were given out small cards of the different chants.

What ever happened to the early season 2 person in-game emcee experiment?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

When I say Beat their, you say ass. Beat their...ass. Beat their.....ass. Too much?
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Kind of reminds me of back in the late 80s/early 90s in Keaney Gym. There was a game in which cheer leaders would hold up signs with "GO" and "RAMS" and the crowd would shout the words as they were held up. One time, one of the cheerleaders had her "GO" sign upside down and a good chuck of the crowd shouted "OG!" It took a couple of times, but the cheerleader looked down at her sign, started cracking up and fixed the sign to a big cheer. It was hilarious!
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

This may be a silly idea.......I've been to many soccer games where the fan clubs sing songs during the game....like fight songs.....let the kids write the songs....
2 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
thatRamBand
Kenny Green

Unread post by thatRamBand »

Just got a survey link in my email about the Ryan Center "Experience", but I'm not sure if it went out to only season ticket holders or everyone who has bought a ticket through the RC website. They've at least been not completely oblivious to the issues (Alcohol accessibility, WiFi, Cell Service, Concessions), and they are asking for feedback. Probably the best way to let them know what you think - it was pretty easy to fill out. Here's the link in case you don't get it.

http://neweratickets-t.neolane.net/r/?i ... a,2913ecf9
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Just got an email with a survey about the Ryan Center experience. Asking about wifi/cell service, concessions, the pubs and concessions. The questions about alcohol sales at concessions gives us hope they might open up the beer/wine sales and in seat drinking at the RC!!!!

edit: looks like thatRamBand beat me to it.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I'm fine with them allowing people to take alcohol back to the seats, so long as they don't allow fans to move from the concourse to their seats until there is a stoppage in play. The PC game was a nightmare to try and watch with the convoy of people going back and forth to get beer.
3 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
mattyb311
Jim Eitner

URI Survey 1/31

Unread post by mattyb311 »

Just received the URI survey regarding RYAN Center experiences. Numerous questions about WiFi and alcohol sales....wondering if this is the start of alcohol sales at the concession stands and allowing us to be adults and have a drink at our seats.....Thoughts??
1 x
Stay Positive and Love Your Life
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Re: URI Survey 1/31

Unread post by Not Mike Powell »

Do you think doing alcohol is cool?
7 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

People aren’t going to want to be told when they can and cannot get a drink. I took the survey before coming here and I never ever get food there. It’s all unappetizing to me. I’ll only get a pretzel if I didn’t have time to eat before. Why even have in-game Twitter contests if no one can get on to post? W
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Doing alcohol?
0 x
RhodysRelevant
Lamar Odom

Unread post by RhodysRelevant »

I just finished it myself, though I'm sure I am in the minority because I couldn't care less about alcohol sales (not that i am opposed to drinking) it felt like half of that survery was alcohol sales related.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Who gets emailed the surveys? Just season ticket holders?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I'm glad they asked about adding local food options. Like Taylor said, there's nothing there that's particularly interesting, though I'll grab popcorn every now and then. I always make it a point to eat before I get there, but if they added local options I might start going early and eating at the Ryan Center instead
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I said the same in the survey. Get Iggy's in there to whip up some chowda and cakes.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

I've been to other sporting events where ushers stop you at the entrance to the section until there's a good point to let you in...stoppage in play, in between batters, etc. I have no problem waiting instead of blocking views. I try to do this even without being stopped.
3 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

theblueram
Frank Keaney

steviep123 wrote: 5 years ago I've been to other sporting events where ushers stop you at the entrance to the section until there's a good point to let you in...stoppage in play, in between batters, etc. I have no problem waiting instead of blocking views. I try to do this even without being stopped.
I do it all the time. But that was learned from going to many tennis tournaments. Just common courtesy.
5 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

steviep123 wrote: 5 years ago I've been to other sporting events where ushers stop you at the entrance to the section until there's a good point to let you in...stoppage in play, in between batters, etc. I have no problem waiting instead of blocking views. I try to do this even without being stopped.
Ironically based on my first comment on this, they seem to be very strict about this at PBruins games. Not sure what happened during the basketball game
1 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

I got the email & I am not a season ticket holder. Although I do buy the miniplans each year.
I am more concerned about wifi than beer in the seats.

Also, in the Keaney lot, why the f did they put that barrier down the middle of it?
1 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......a pint of Whalers would the games somewhat more tolerable.......Go Rhody......
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago
Ironically based on my first comment on this, they seem to be very strict about this at PBruins games. Not sure what happened during the basketball game
It's probably just the mentality of the PC fan base. :D
1 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago Doing alcohol?
Not a fan of Michael Scott, huh?
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

spookydog wrote: 5 years ago I got the email & I am not a season ticket holder. Although I do buy the miniplans each year.

Also, in the Keaney lot, why the f did they put that barrier down the middle of it?
There's some off reason for it regarding it being parking for residents. I park on that side for football, but park on the north side for basketball. URI is going to need a parking garage soon, and I think the Keaney lot is where it should go. Either that or the Fine Arts lot because WTH are people going to do with all these expansions.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

RhodysRelevant wrote: 5 years ago I just finished it myself, though I'm sure I am in the minority because I couldn't care less about alcohol sales (not that i am opposed to drinking) it felt like half of that survery was alcohol sales related.
They're most likely gauging how many people ACTUALLY want to have booze at their seats. I had one of those rose seltzers at my seat the UMASS game on Sunday. I don't care about having a drink at my seat during the games. I'm fine with getting something at halftime or before the game.

I didn't relate to the food questions because like I mentioned in the RC Upgrade thread I have only ever gotten a pretzel and an iced coffee. I'm by no means a super-strict clean eater all the time, but most of the food they serve I find unappetizing. I'm especially not getting a burger or hot dog there. I've had food in the Alumni Lounge before but that's pretty much crackers/cheese and wraps and not part of their survey.

They do have Wifi there, but I've never once been able to get on it. I have some basic IT knowledge and it seems like they need access points installed. Also, with that many people centered in one location at one time, LTE will never work. Similar situation, but at the Blessing of the Fleet road race in Gansett LTE service NEVER works there because there's like 8,000 people in a tiny radius.
1 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

I was emailed a survey but I am full time student here and a member of the ruckus so idk where the cutoff is for who gets the email and who doesn’t
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago I'm fine with them allowing people to take alcohol back to the seats, so long as they don't allow fans to move from the concourse to their seats until there is a stoppage in play. The PC game was a nightmare to try and watch with the convoy of people going back and forth to get beer.
I have no idea why they have ushers at the Ryan Center. They do NOTHING.

At every professional sports venue I've been to, there is someone to stop you from entering the seating area until a stoppage.

Also, I liked the survey - except that they didn't have an "additional comments" section where I could ask about instant replay, as it is probably the one thing central to the enjoyment of watching a basketball game in person (the whole reason for the building existing) that was asked about.

Yes, it is absurd that the food sucks and takes forever to be served. It is dumb that unlike every other arena you can think of, you can't bring a beer to your seat. It is idiotic that in 2019 that there is not an open, public guest network that works or requires 3 steps, a registration, and a login to still not have working wifi.

The no replay thing legitimately takes away from the in-game experience.
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

At every professional sports venue I've been to, there is someone to stop you from entering the seating area until a stoppage.

Not Fenway park. Can't stand going to games there. People are constantly up and down. Actually wrote to them and in their arrogance they ignored me. Sit at the end of row at Ryan center and am constantly up and down letting people through. I can't imagine what it will be like with beer sales and I like my beer...🍻. Lots of people just don't get it.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

ram1980 wrote: 5 years ago At every professional sports venue I've been to, there is someone to stop you from entering the seating area until a stoppage.

Not Fenway park. Can't stand going to games there. People are constantly up and down. Actually wrote to them and in their arrogance they ignored me. Sit at the end of row at Ryan center and am constantly up and down letting people through. I can't imagine what it will be like with beer sales and I like my beer...🍻. Lots of people just don't get it.
Then we need beer sales people hawking beers all game long. Hey Sports Barrrrrrrr!!!!!!!
0 x
RhodysRelevant
Lamar Odom

Unread post by RhodysRelevant »

Funny the pretzels are all I get and the wife cant live without her Dunkin coffee. Probably carrier related but I havent tried the wifi because I honestly didnt think about it and with T mobile i actually get good 4g service, perhaps I'm lucky. As someone who just recently started attending games it's got to be a positive that they are trying to enrich our experiences right?
2 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

ram1980 wrote: 5 years ago At every professional sports venue I've been to, there is someone to stop you from entering the seating area until a stoppage.

I have a massive bruise on my thigh from mistakenly bumping into the armrest at the Mullins Center last weekend letting someone back into the row to get their Bud Lite. Oh sorry, I am sitting in your way watching the game. Let me move for you since you need to get to your seat so quickly, sir.

Also, about the Ryan Center "ushers" I love the women who constantly stomp around making laps around the perimeter of the court with their walkie talkies hanging off their belts. OMG, YOU ARE SO IMPORTANT!! I'm still unclear on what any of them do since there's usually a detail of ~5 SK cops, multiple URI PD, and those other dudes that sit around the court as "security".
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

RhodysRelevant wrote: 5 years ago Funny the pretzels are all I get and the wife cant live without her Dunkin coffee. Probably carrier related but I havent tried the wifi because I honestly didnt think about it and with T mobile i actually get good 4g service, perhaps I'm lucky. As someone who just recently started attending games it's got to be a positive that they are trying to enrich our experiences right?
The pretzels hit the spot for sure, I only get them slightly salted. Mustard would be good, but I don't want to risk sitting at the game with a stain on my shirt. In actuality, they should really carry the Auntie Annie's pretzels - the dough is softer and fresher.

I agree, it probably is carrier related. From people I know who have Sprint or TMobile they don't have the same BS issues Verizon and ATT have at venues like this.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

It's not that hard...get your brewskie, rubberneck from the top/bottom of your section, WAIT FOR A WHISTLE, get your arse to your seat quickly.
You don't have to be the brightest knife in the shed to figure that one out.
4 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Had a sausage and peps last game at the RC, 7/10. Not bad for south county.
2 x
GO RAMS
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago Had a sausage and peps last game at the RC, 7/10. Not bad for south county.
Proper sausage and peppers comes from someone’s mom or grandma. Facts.
1 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

I may be reading to much into it but the opening line of the email is:
WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO SEE FOR THE REST OF THE SEASON?

Can we really expect changes to me made during the current season?

Better late than never if true esp for WIFI/Beer
1 x
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

spookydog wrote: 5 years ago I got the email & I am not a season ticket holder. Although I do buy the miniplans each year.

Don't most of us have unlimited data on our phones now? I get unlimited everything on 3 lines for 80 all fees/taxes included.
1 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

My favorite in-game experience upgrade over the last couple games is EZBuckets' audible clear of the throat before he says "Its time for the Newport Propane Minute of Mayhem" :lol:
5 x
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
steviep123
Sly Williams

Not sure when the last time you went to Fenway was, but the last few years I have been stopped by ushers from going in from when the pitcher sets until the pitch is over. If the pitch becomes a batted play, then until the play is over. Granted, by the time you can go until the next pitch comes isn't that long so people will still get in your way.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Id like to make a quick comment about our fans leaving before the game ends. I was at the VCU game, tight game down to the final minute or so with tons of exciting moments. Fans were leaving at the 3 min mark. Pathetic. They'd rather beat the traffic then see the Rams finish a great game. Half the building misses the starting lineups too. It was a little embarrassing.
4 x
GO RAMS
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

That's the way things are now in a lot of sports....when I go to Fenway I have to bail a little bit early, especially if I'm parked close to the park.

Or else I will be stuck in traffic for who knows how long. Even if I take the T...try and get out from Kenmore Square with a thousand people ahead of you.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I hadn't actually noticed the rest of the season part. The Rhody Pubs were introduced mid-season and I guess they allow beer and wine back to the seats for concerts, so that should be easy enough to change mid-season
1 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Blue Man wrote: 5 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago I'm fine with them allowing people to take alcohol back to the seats, so long as they don't allow fans to move from the concourse to their seats until there is a stoppage in play. The PC game was a nightmare to try and watch with the convoy of people going back and forth to get beer.
I have no idea why they have ushers at the Ryan Center. They do NOTHING.

Also, I liked the survey - except that they didn't have an "additional comments" section where I could ask about instant replay, as it is probably the one thing central to the enjoyment of watching a basketball game in person (the whole reason for the building existing) that was asked about.

Yes, it is absurd that the food sucks and takes forever to be served. It is dumb that unlike every other arena you can think of, you can't bring a beer to your seat. It is idiotic that in 2019 that there is not an open, public guest network that works or requires 3 steps, a registration, and a login to still not have working wifi.

The no replay thing legitimately takes away from the in-game experience.
At least in 203 the ushers only job seems to be kicking college kids out of season ticket holder's seats lol
1 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

AngloRAM wrote: 5 years ago

Don't most of us have unlimited data on our phones now? I get unlimited everything on 3 lines for 80 all fees/taxes included.
When it is crowded at the Ryan Center, I won't have any reception. That's why I am trying to get a better connection. I want to look at the in game stats on ESPN & sometimes have a tough time.
2 x
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
steviep123
Sly Williams

spookydog wrote: 5 years ago
AngloRAM wrote: 5 years ago

When it is crowded at the Ryan Center, I won't have any reception. That's why I am trying to get a better connection. I want to look at the in game stats on ESPN & sometimes have a tough time.
Also, for those of us that can't make many games, it's nice to follow along with Bill Koch on Twitter. If he is having trouble with WiFi and can't send tweets, then fans suffer.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EZBuckets »

spookydog wrote: 5 years ago My favorite in-game experience upgrade over the last couple games is EZBuckets' audible clear of the throat before he says "Its time for the Newport Propane Minute of Mayhem" :lol:
:lol: :lol: The first time was legitimate because I had a cold and I noticed people were laughing so it’s now officially part of the schtick!
6 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Taylor Swift wrote: 5 years ago

I have a massive bruise on my thigh from mistakenly bumping into the armrest at the Mullins Center last weekend letting someone back into the row to get their Bud Lite. Oh sorry, I am sitting in your way watching the game. Let me move for you since you need to get to your seat so quickly, sir.

Also, about the Ryan Center "ushers" I love the women who constantly stomp around making laps around the perimeter of the court with their walkie talkies hanging off their belts. OMG, YOU ARE SO IMPORTANT!! I'm still unclear on what any of them do since there's usually a detail of ~5 SK cops, multiple URI PD, and those other dudes that sit around the court as "security".
Funny, I have thought the same. Vinny Turco does the same - here, there and everywhere. He is non-stop walking. They all must get some good fitbit numbers.
2 x
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

There's one usher down by the URI bench that must have some kind of radar. As soon as someone sits down in the 100 level sections behind the bench she's on them like a hawk checking their tickets. It doesn't matter how many empty seats there are or at what point in the game it is.
2 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.