1/30 | Duquesne Dukes | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Re: 1/30 | Duquesne Dukes | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago I know it’s been 20 games but Cox can’t let this team slide this this. I’m sorry he gets paid the big bucks for the blame.

A voice of reason
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Hughes got all 20 of his points in the second half. Who was guarding him? Was anyone paying attention?
Last edited by KevanBoyles 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Zach Marbury ?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Our older "shooters" can be compared to the NFL QB who completes 30% of his passes with several picks....or a FG kicker who can't make FG's.....

Or cornerbacks who can't cover receivers......

All would be out of a job real quick with those type of performances.....unfortunately we can't fire the players...we're stuck with them.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago
adam914 wrote: 5 years ago
RhodyRam86 wrote: 5 years ago Again...Fatts takes a 3 too early to end the half and gives the other team and opportunity to score. I know I'm nitpicking, but c'mon man!

Otherwise, great half. How is Duquesne 5-2 in conference?
Their A10 schedule has been pretty weak so far. Wins over Fordham, St. Joes, GW, and Richmond. No idea how they beat St. Louis though. Clearly must have played much better than that first half!
I cringed when I read this at halftime. This team is a roller coaster.
Duquesne is now 6-2 and headed to Dayton for a big game on Saturday.
We go to 4-4 and play Saint Louis at home on Saturday - I'll be surprised if we win.
The really sad part is that Duquesne is still not very good. Just add us to the list of bad teams they have beaten.
2 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Blame goes first to the coach

Always goes to the top
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Cyril shoots 100+ FT's a day in practice? Really?

4-13? How many does he make in practice? 50%?

This great staff we supposedly have...I have my doubts they have a clue.

Freshmen are allowed to make mistakes yes....but the older players have little to no excuses...and neither have the coaches.

ECR, I'm also getting tired of the excuses by the coach.....it's his job to fix this...is this team improving? No.

Not having the team ready to play starting the 2nd half when they know Duquesne will be, is inexcuseable.

Good coaches don't get their asses handed to them in the 2nd half of games.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Fatts is now 21-107 on 3FGs for 19.6%
He shot 3-13 tonight including 1-5 on 3FGs.
Why is he allowed to take 5 shots from behind the arc?
This is on the Coaching Staff as they allow this to continue

I’d prefer Martin, Dowtin, Harris and Silverio taking these 3 pointers - not Thompson either
Pass, defend, rebound, dribble but please stop shooting the 3 ball until next season
2 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Off topic but does anyone have a link or know where to look for the list of oldest to youngest college basketball teams in the country by age or experience?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 5 years ago
KevanBoyles wrote: 5 years ago The ESPN announcers kept talking about the “Rhode Island program.” I’m afraid to say we are watching all the progress we’ve made over the last 6 years go right down the drain.

Careful / I said this and got blasted even tho it’s a perfectly logical post
The issue I have with this line of thought is that I don’t think this team would be appreciably better with Hurley coaching, so it’s hard for me to then say this is because of the coaching. This team reminds me a little bit of the 2013-14 team that went 14-18 and the 2014-15 team that went to the NIT and knocked on the door of the tournament - the core talent here is relatively young. I think we are somewhere in between those two teams in terms of roster life cycle. Those teams eventually matured into some of the best teams we’ve ever had here.

There is nothing fun about watching your team piss away a 20 point lead in conference, believe me. But it isn’t hard for me to imagine a time 6 weeks from now or 10 months from now where we look back at these frustrating games and consider them learning experiences. Seeing glimpses of what this team is capable of if they get it together is not worthless. There is not a guarantee that they will eventually put it all together, but knowing that is in there somewhere is at least something to hold on to, and it wouldn’t be surprising at all when all is said and done with this core group if they do figure it out when they’re more experienced and struggled when they were relatively inexperienced.
8 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

KevanBoyles wrote: 5 years ago Hughes got all 20 of his points in the second half. Who was guarding him? Was anyone paying attention?
A trick question - “nobody”
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

KevanBoyles wrote: 5 years ago Off topic but does anyone have a link or know where to look for the list of oldest to youngest college basketball teams in the country by age or experience?
I don’t know where to find the list, but I do believe we are way way down at the bottom, like #315 or something like that.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Jeff Dowtin has tailed off big time lately...his 3 pt. shooting is becoming as bad as Fatt's.

Anyway, besides Cyril and his FT misses, the 2nd half defense failed for the 2nd game in a row.

Is it the coaching, or is it the players? The age old question.

TP, it would be nice if they could put an entire game together....yes they do show good play at times...but under pressure on the road they collapse like the old house of cards...and it can't all be blamed on youth...the worst culprits are the older players.

Will Fatts and Dowtin improve as shooters? Thompson become more consistent? Cyril actually make FT's?

None of these are givens. Other than Fatts, they are juniors....if they haven't got it now, they ain't getting it then....
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 years ago
ramster wrote: 5 years ago The tale of two halves

I was worried about tonight's game and now even more worried about Saturday
About what?
Best question of the night
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

ramster, this season is toast in terms of postseason.....just want to see this team put 2 good halves together more often....like Cox said, they have work to do and that includes the coaching staff.

This year's ceiling isn't very high.....bad shooters aren't going to magically become good shooters....but could they improve on defense before the season is out?

If not, this could get ugly.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Cyril left 4 possessions on the floor with those 9 missed FT’s. We are 16-4 if we make 75% off our FT’s.

Christian is bad on DEF but Omar is worse.

Fatts needs a 3PT and shot limit until he shoots over 45% for 3 games or more in a row.

We are in positions to win games. Again, we could be 16-4. We are not and the blame is spread.

I’m sick about this loss but I see potential. Tons.

I don’t see Joe Dooley or another mid major coach being much better. We are what we are, right now.
4 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago Jeff Dowtin has tailed off big time lately...his 3 pt. shooting is becoming as bad as Fatt's.

Anyway, besides Cyril and his FT misses, the 2nd half defense failed for the 2nd game in a row.

Is it the coaching, or is it the players? The age old question.

TP, it would be nice if they could put an entire game together....yes they do show good play at times...but under pressure on the road they collapse like the old house of cards...and it can't all be blamed on youth...the worst culprits are the older players.

Will Fatts and Dowtin improve as shooters? Thompson become more consistent? Cyril actually make FT's?

None of these are givens. Other than Fatts, they are juniors....if they haven't got it now, they ain't getting it then....
Tell Andre Berry that.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Problem is, they take turns missing FT's each game....sometimes several of them miss them.

Tonight it was Cyril....he's the worst culprit but Fatts and Jeff has missed them too, along with CT.

Something about coming to URI makes good high school FT shooters turn to shit. Yes Cyril was never good at them, but he's getting worse not better.

It's been a problem for MANY years....believe me, most of the older posters like myself know this all too well.

Every team loses a game here and there due to FT's....but URI has lost many key games at the line....more than most I would guess.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago Cyril left 4 possessions on the floor with those 9 missed FT’s. We are 16-4 if we make 75% off our FT’s.

Christian is bad on DEF but Omar is worse.

Fatts needs a 3PT and shot limit until he shoots over 45% for 3 games or more in a row.

We are in positions to win games. Again, we could be 16-4. We are not and the blame is spread.

I’m sick about this loss but I see potential. Tons.

I don’t see Joe Dooley or another mid major coach being much better. We are what we are, right now.
Thompson is bad on defense but does not need to be replaced by Omar. Tate will do.
Fatts was 1-5 on threes which sounds bad, terrible but it’s right on his season average unfortunately. He needs to just stop shooting 3’s - irs not rocket surgery.

I do not believe a Fatts and Thompson would be deadlast in the A10 in 3 point shooting if Hurley were here.
1 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

I feel the the scouting report is failing to identify who the shooters are on the other team. Two games in a row we continued to leave the most lethal three pointer shooter open from three. Frankie Hughes was unconscious in earlier portions of 2nd half. As a coach and a player you know you cant help off frankie and give him any breathing room in man to man defense. But what does ct do sags off to the middle of the paint on frankie Hughes who was on fire who hits a dagger three. Ct had no way of affecting that drive. And in umass game so many times they gave space to carl pierre who is their best shooter and a player you cant let get hot. He proved that in umass pc game. And ct makes the most bone headed plays at critical times. But do like the offense running through tyrese a little more spell fatts from the ball.
Last edited by sevegny7 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago
I guess the thing I am trying to figure out is...yes, this is true but how much of it is because of where we are in the program cycle versus this just being who/what we are? I've been struggling with this all year, honestly.

Does this team fold up or have long offensive droughts or check out for entire halves on defense because that is who they are at their core? Or is that a result of our youth and relative inexperience? That is why I brought up the 2013-14 and 2014-15 teams above. I think that talent-wise the core of this team is pretty similar to those ones, but it isn't quite as reliant on freshmen as the '13-14 team was, but is more reliant on freshmen than the '14-15 team was. Another way to think about it that this team is definitely better than the '13-14 team and is returning more of its core than that team did - we are not losing anyone as good as Munford, but we also aren't bringing in anyone as good as Terrell. A lot of how good this team will be next year will come down to what we get from Walker and how much Harris and Tate can move their games forward between now and then.

IDK, to me if I'm being honest the jury is still out, but framing it in terms of where are we in the cycle compared to the team that started in '13-14 and finished last year is a good way to hold out hope.
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Berry never played much until his senior year...and he worked his ass off and he got better.....

Supposedly these guys practice their FT and 3 pointers a lot....so where are the results?

Simply put, they don't have it.

ramster, Cox doesn't have as many options to go to, as Dan did his last 2 years here.

Yes he could still play the frosh more....and I think he has to going forward....our future lies with them.
0 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

My god was that second half ugly! It eerily reminded me of the game at GW Jared and Jarvis' sophomore years, up 18 and lost by 4. Now admittedly that GW team was more talented than this Duq team but I think that URI team was also more talented than we are now. In any event, Cox needs to get these guys attention and fast. With a down A-10 there is still time to make improvements and to secure good seeding for the A-10 tourney, but we have to get these guys playing well together, with confidence, and tenacity. Get it done coach!
1 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

We lost tonight for a few reasons.

1. Too many turnovers.... we continue to make sloppy/lazy passes. Our turnovers are a major problem and it’s not improving.

2. We continue to collapse on our opponents when they attack the lane instead of staying in position with who we are supposed to be guarding. Thompson playing help defense and leaving his man for a wide open three was the play that won the game for the Dukes in my opinion. This has been going on all year... we are constantly chasing wide open shots because we are out of position. This happened several times in the Umass game.

3. We lack grit/intensity/fire. The Terrell type player that leads this team..I don’t see any type if leadership on the floor.
0 x
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

It's all a matter of perspective. I see things as a glass half full. Keep being depressed, frustrated, and angry -- and it will consume you. Nothing matters except growing and learning... sometimes a single lesson results in a loss, sometimes it means several losses and in many different ways ... always see the big picture.

Love you guys. URI will most likely be the most dangerous team in Brooklyn. Any counter argument means you are trying to turn me into a glass half empty guy. Apologies but homey don't play angry, frustrated, or depressed. :D
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That was just a brutal loss

Only saving grace is we aren't playing for a berth in the dance so it just comes down to Brooklyn
2 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Unfortunately it really doesn't come down to Brooklyn . You pretty much have to be in the top 4 in the final standings
to not have to win 4 games in 4 days instead of 3 in 3 days and I can't remember the last time that happened, but I think
it hasn't happened in the past 20 years or more, so forget about that happening. Unless they plan on winning at least 9
of their final 10 games to go 13-5, they will not make the top four, so going forward it can only be about next season.
Next season it could be a fight among Davidson, Dayton, URI and VCU or St. louis with St. Joes as a dark horse . I belive
we will see vast improvement next season in al phases of the game. So we have that to lok forward to I believe.
2 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

This team seems to be wearing down during games. Is it the conditioning? That's one thing you almost never saw with Hurley's teams. Some of those rebounds for Duquesne seemed to be from a lack of effort or focus on URI's part. Again, this is something we rarely saw in the Hurley years.
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I know the culprit - lack of senior leadership! Do what Jack Kraft did - kick all the seniors off the team! Oh, the seniors don't play.

It is the coach's fault - not just for his in-game coaching - but for his relationship with the players,
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago Fatts is now 21-107 on 3FGs for 19.6%
He shot 3-13 tonight including 1-5 on 3FGs.

I’d prefer Martin, Dowtin, Harris and Silverio taking these 3 pointers - not Thompson either
Pass, defend, rebound, dribble but please stop shooting the 3 ball until next season
If you think Hurley would let him continue to play this way you are insane. I know he likes fautts a lot but it would be major adjustment time to focus on the things he does well.

It is absolutely insane this guy has the green light and by far the most shots on the team. He should be the fifth option with those numbers. You guys gave Marbury a hard time his numbers were a billion times better. This is killing the team.

I believe he is talented but he needs to be directed to what he does well. Right now they play him like he’s jj redick at duke or steph curry. 8 shots a game max. Or if not sit the bench. You cannot win like this.

It was a bad sign on a lot of levels when he said no to the play designed for dowtin for the game winning 3 and shot it himself. He made it. But I wonder if making yhat shot set us back by giving this green light in other games.
1 x
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

The whole offense when you have someone taking that many shots at that percentage is them. It has a huge effect on everything and the dynamic of the game. If he doesn’t listen and won’t dial it back I would immediate go

Dowtin at point
Move tyrese to starting shooting guard
Tate at the 3
Harris and Cyril down low

The whole dynamic of the game and team would be different.

Fatts with spark role off bench
3 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago
KevanBoyles wrote: 5 years ago Off topic but does anyone have a link or know where to look for the list of oldest to youngest college basketball teams in the country by age or experience?
I don’t know where to find the list, but I do believe we are way way down at the bottom, like #315 or something like that.
Makes sense, since we're even lower ranked in 3s.

BTW, TP, thanks to your common sense posts I've come in off the ledge from last night. Plus it's so damn ccccollllldddd
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

BTW, I blame Hurley for encouraging Fatts to shoot his way through college. Remember his quote that Fatts would lead the A-10 in scoring? I'm sure Fatts does.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

PeteRI wrote: 5 years ago BTW, I blame Hurley for encouraging Fatts to shoot his way through college. Remember his quote that Fatts would lead the A-10 in scoring? I'm sure Fatts does.
IIRC, that wasn't just 'lead the A10 in scoring', it was 'lead the A10 in scoring multiple times.'
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Game threads for losses are always a rocking good time, but we’ve really reached maximum “hot take” time here, haven’t we?
6 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

scine20 wrote: 5 years ago This team seems to be wearing down during games. Is it the conditioning? That's one thing you almost never saw with Hurley's teams. Some of those rebounds for Duquesne seemed to be from a lack of effort or focus on URI's part. Again, this is something we rarely saw in the Hurley years.
I agree with this completely - Jeff looks gassed on the bench. I just think we are asking too many minutes out of both Jeff and Fatts. Keep the closer to 30 that the 35 they are getting and maybe better results.

I am confused as hell on Omar now - he looked competent enough last night. Dana is not getting as many minutes as he should either. Increase minutes for those two, decreases for Fatts, Jeff and CT and I think we would be better off.
0 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

I have a serious question for the fans of this team...

Does anyone know how much the DQ Chicken Strip Basket is?
7 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

KenPom has it. URI is 311 out of 353 teams. Duquesne is 348 of 353. UNC Asheville is the youngest (least experienced) team in D1.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

ace wrote: 5 years ago Game threads for losses are always a rocking good time, but we’ve really reached maximum “hot take” time here, haven’t we?
Yep
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

luke wrote: 5 years ago I can't remember the last time that happened, but I think
it hasn't happened in the past 20 years or more, so forget about that happening.
VCU in 2015 was the 5-seed in the A10 tournament and won it all.
2 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

i can live w/ losing.. well.. sorta..

thing is.. i don't like what i am seeing out there

that is why i am throwing haymakers on this board - somebody has to..

and like i said. i respect everyone on this board..
i bleed keaney blue but you guys are real die hards and support the team more than i do
we need more ppl like you guys

this team needs fixing now .. BEFORE it leads into next year

there needs to a HURLEY culture here without HURLEY
1 x
Beachcomber
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Beachcomber »

Not to beat a dead horse (phrase usually said just before your take out the riding crop), but in the UMass game, Rhody let up a 17-0 run without Cox taking a time out to stop the bleeding. Last night, Rhody let up a 15-0 run in the second half, again without Cox taking a time out.

Can you imagine any of the big name coaches doing that? This is a young team with promise, but they need to be coached. Coaches have bad games, too. The last two games by Cox, unfortunately, reminded me of all the worst aspects of Coach Clueless, "roll the ball out and let them play", Jerry Duh. Not saying Cox = Jerry D., by no means, but man, c'mon.
1 x
mjg13x
Jeff Kent

Unread post by mjg13x »

Inexcusable loss.
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago Cyril left 4 possessions on the floor with those 9 missed FT’s. We are 16-4 if we make 75% off our FT’s.
That's a great stat.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

When an opponent's run reaches 8 or so, it's time to call a TO......I remember us old folks on here would criticize Al Skinner for not calling one either....when something isn't working changes need to be made.

We've been getting beat on big runs lately....that has to stop.

Oh and something else, WTF is Thompson playing the 4 at times?

30 minutes for him and 8 for Tate....when will Cox realize our fate lies with the freshmen?

Would CT have played many minutes last year if he had been healthy? No way no how......if this is the best option we have, things aren't going to get any better for a while.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 5 years ago This team is immature. There’s no reason they have to be immature. They just are. Top to bottom. The 4 guard lineup is goofy when the guards can’t even shoot. Are they out there to rebound? What’s their skill?
.......positionless basketball....... :roll:
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

spookydog wrote: 5 years ago I have a serious question for the fans of this team...

Does anyone know how much the DQ Chicken Strip Basket is?
I think it's 135 bucks. 5 for the chicken basket and 130 for the trip to the ER for the stomach pump.
3 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

RhodyKyle wrote: 5 years ago
luke wrote: 5 years ago I can't remember the last time that happened, but I think
it hasn't happened in the past 20 years or more, so forget about that happening.
VCU in 2015 was the 5-seed in the A10 tournament and won it all.
I know Xavier won the A10 tourney by winning four games in four days twice in the 2000s. So while it's obvious it is more advantageous to win with the double bye, it's not impossible to win without it.
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago
adam914 wrote: 5 years ago
RhodyRam86 wrote: 5 years ago Again...Fatts takes a 3 too early to end the half and gives the other team and opportunity to score. I know I'm nitpicking, but c'mon man!

Otherwise, great half. How is Duquesne 5-2 in conference?
Their A10 schedule has been pretty weak so far. Wins over Fordham, St. Joes, GW, and Richmond. No idea how they beat St. Louis though. Clearly must have played much better than that first half!
I cringed when I read this at halftime. This team is a roller coaster.
Duquesne is now 6-2 and headed to Dayton for a big game on Saturday.
We go to 4-4 and play Saint Louis at home on Saturday - I'll be surprised if we win.
.......but the maddening thing is they probably will win.......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We have zero shot at winning 4 games in 4 days...we can't even put 2 halves together, much less games.

And Jeff will be worn down to nothing by then...he's already fallen off...….

And why does anyone think we will be able to by then anyway?

We will still suck at FT's and 3's and disappear on defense at times......Tyrese Martin, as good as he already is, and will be, can't play all 5 positions at once lol.
1 x