1/30 | Duquesne Dukes | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Re: 1/30 | Duquesne Dukes | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago
URIFIJI wrote: 5 years ago Worst loss of year
No way. It sucks to lose a game when you’re ahead by that much, but the reality is that Duquesne isn’t terrible and they played a terrible first half a very good second half. The UMass loss was much, much worse. First of all, UMass is terrible and second of all at least we played 20 good minutes tonight.

I’m not at all surprised that Duquesne made that a game, but I’m honestly pretty stunned that we lost. I wasn’t really worried until Martin got blocked at the rim with about 20 seconds left - until then I was pretty sure we’d put a couple plays together and win it. You see teams use all their gas getting back into the game all the time, and I thought that would happen to Duquesne.
the issue with your comments TP is that Duquesne used very little gas to get back in this game. i don't remember seeing an easier comeback and it started when we didn't take a shot with our first 3 possessions of the 2nd half. we couldn't grab a defensive board. through horrible passes that led to Duquesne points and Cyril goes 4-13 at the line. When it was close at the end, we were screwed. They only had 6 team fouls in the 2nd half. All they had to do is foul Cyril and they were getting ball back. UMASS may not be as good a team as Duquesne, but they played us better.
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago
No way. It sucks to lose a game when you’re ahead by that much, but the reality is that Duquesne isn’t terrible and they played a terrible first half a very good second half. The UMass loss was much, much worse. First of all, UMass is terrible and second of all at least we played 20 good minutes tonight.

I’m not at all surprised that Duquesne made that a game, but I’m honestly pretty stunned that we lost. I wasn’t really worried until Martin got blocked at the rim with about 20 seconds left - until then I was pretty sure we’d put a couple plays together and win it. You see teams use all their gas getting back into the game all the time, and I thought that would happen to Duquesne.
We were up by 19. This is the worst loss this year by far.
It doesn't matter when the points are scored. It is a 40 minute game and all the minutes count the same. In the end, they scored a few more points than we did. You have to play much better to lose to Duquesne by 3 than you would to beat UMass by 15. Getting run off the court by UMass will be worst loss of the year, pretty much no matter what happens the rest of the way.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Nothing we can do ?

Oh boy - I hope this is sarcasm

Come on guys - it’s ok to be fired up
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......did we have a time out in hand on the last possession?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

This team is immature. There’s no reason they have to be immature. They just are. Top to bottom. The 4 guard lineup is goofy when the guards can’t even shoot. Are they out there to rebound? What’s their skill?
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Dowtin is now 2 for his last 23 from 3. :oops:
1 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

Chemistry on this team is fucked.
1 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

AWFUL !!!!!! SICKENING.....!!!! I AM SO SORRY I WATCHED THIS DEBACLE !!!! THEY ARE NOT FUN TO WATCH ANYMORE !!!!
I don't think I can take any more of this . They looked like they had money on Duquesne in the second half. Nice FT shooting, Langevine.
I was just looking for hotels in Brooklyn yesterday and today. After this game I think I will be saving my money . I might as well root for
Dayton because these guys don't have the determination to even beat a mediocre team on the road and maybe not at home either .
Was thinking of driving up for St. Louis game on Saturday . Nope Nope Nope.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Lazy goddamn defense. They completely outworked us. How many offensive rebounds did they get that led to a wide open 3? Smart coaching collapsing every goddamn time and letting the guy who’s red hot continue to shoot uncontested threes.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Outrebounded 41 to 28 with 18 offensive rebounds
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I can't see this team making the NCAAT next year. sorry.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

At least PC lost
4 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I think I threw up, not sure after I blacked out.
2 x
GO RAMS
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

Totally agree with this take. Exactly how I felt, too.

I’m not expecting many others to feel the same.

For those saying we were outcoached, how and at what junctures? Cox played Silviero tonight to pretty awful results. Despite how some may feel about CT, I can bet he was at least a +5 tonight and Omar -5 or worse.

This comes down to young players that need to develop parts of their game. Cox stuck with Omar for an extended stretch to get him minutes and even went zone to do so... we lost the game during that same stretch.

Take it or leave it, tonight was actually an impressive showig in many ways. Never an excuse to lose when up 19 at half but I think I saw more positives than negatives in all totality.

I guess it’s what your expectations are.

UMass loss was worse. Agreed.
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

luke wrote: 5 years ago AWFUL !!!!!! SICKENING.....!!!! I AM SO SORRY I WATCHED THIS DEBACLE !!!! THEY ARE NOT FUN TO WATCH ANYMORE !!!!
I don't think I can take any more of this . They looked like they had money on Duquesne in the second half. Nice FT shooting, Langevine.
I was just looking for hotels in Brooklyn yesterday and today. After this game I think I will be saving my money . I might as well root for
Dayton because these guys don't have the determination to even beat a mediocre team on the road and maybe not at home either .
Was thinking of driving up for St. Louis game on Saturday . Nope Nope Nope.

HEAR HEAR
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago I think I threw up, not sure after I blacked out.

felt the same way
0 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

Its really a shame how this far this team has regressed as the season has unfolded. We have some nice pieces in Martin and Dowtin, but collectively this team has no balls and are badly suffering from a coach who is still learning. We should be seeing our freshman improve and our upper classmen showing leadership, neither of these things are happening and there are little to no signs that these things are going to get better. We are 20 games into the season, there is no excuses for this team to not have an identity. Losses like these in Dan's first year were tolerable b/c you can see the players giving everything they had for their coach, they were just out manned. This URI team is losing to teams who have much less talent on their roster. We have enough returning players who have been through the wars that should be able to hold the team together while the freshman develop and the lack of leadership is scary. You'd have thought that after the UMass game that Cox would have been able to get through to this team, but yet they continue to make the same mistakes game after game after game. I'm losing interest in this program by the game, but will continue to donate and support the team, just not sure why at this point...... disgusted..
Last edited by Shinze88 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
6 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago I can't see this team making the NCAAT next year. sorry.
Yup. I’ve said that a couple days ago. Just because players are a year older doesn’t mean they are good.
0 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

This is not a well coached team. I wasn't the biggest fan of Hurley's in-game coaching but if you watch the way those teams played to this team it's night and day. And I'm sick of hearing about how young they are. Is Dowtin a freshman? Russell? Langevine? There's no excuse for this team to be losing to some of the teams they're losing to with the complete lack of focus in all of these games. If before the season someone said that at the end of January URI will have lost to Stony Brook, and Bucknell, and Hawaii, and Massacusetts and Duquesne you'd all say no way they're better than that. Well, they're clearly not. Well coached teams don't blow 19-point leads against mediocre teams like Duquesne.

The other issue is the upper classmen aren't getting better.

I think after watching the last two horror shows it's okay to be legitimately concerned with the future of the program. Hopefully they become more consistent and can put fears like that to rest. But have we seen anything this season that would bring hope that they're close?

Well coached teams improve during the season. This team has been stagnant all year.
Last edited by scine20 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
8 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

I was really looking forward to being at the Ryan Center this Saturday. Now ... Not so much
2 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years agoIt doesn't matter when the points are scored. It is a 40 minute game and all the minutes count the same. In the end, they scored a few more points than we did. You have to play much better to lose to Duquesne by 3 than you would to beat UMass by 15. Getting run off the court by UMass will be worst loss of the year, pretty much no matter what happens the rest of the way.
Respectfully disagree. Outscoring your opponent by 19 in the first half usually means a lot to the overall "psyche" of the game. Vast majority of games, the losing team does not overcome that deficit.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

steveystuds06 wrote: 5 years ago Lazy goddamn defense. They completely outworked us. How many offensive rebounds did they get that led to a wide open 3? Smart coaching collapsing every goddamn time and letting the guy who’s red hot continue to shoot uncontested threes.
The entire effort on that side of the court was horrendous in the second half, letting them get whatever they wanted for shots, then getting beat to the rebound to give them extra chances on the rare occasions that they did miss.

Interestingly, the end of the court in front of Duquesne's bench beat the end of the court in front of URI's bench 94-53. The announcers mentioned something about the rim on the end sounding softer, I thought they were kidding but maybe that is legit.
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

RI_Bred wrote: 5 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 5 years agoIt doesn't matter when the points are scored. It is a 40 minute game and all the minutes count the same. In the end, they scored a few more points than we did. You have to play much better to lose to Duquesne by 3 than you would to beat UMass by 15. Getting run off the court by UMass will be worst loss of the year, pretty much no matter what happens the rest of the way.
Respectfully disagree. Outscoring your opponent by 19 in the first half usually means a lot to the overall "psyche" of the game. Vast majority of games, the losing team does not overcome that deficit.
I mean, typically when one team pounds the other in one half it is because they are actually just that much better. Does anyone think we are actually that much better than Duquesne this year? I don't.
2 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

I mean, typically when one team pounds the other in one half it is because they are actually just that much better. Does anyone think we are actually that much better than Duquesne this year? I don't.
Definitely don't think we are any better than Dusquesne this year. But, one would hope we could compete with any team in the A-10 this year, give any team a game on any given night, and grab a win off of a 19 point halftime lead from any league game this year...
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......CL’s free throws need serious coaching.......not just shooting a 100 to eninforce the bad habits......bad mechanics......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

And St. Louis loses to lowly Richmond tonight...this league is DOWN this year...!
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Sickening games are going around tonight . I think some fans in St. Louis are feeling it too, but I don't think The Billikins blew a 19 point lead. Nevertheless, St.louis lost at home to Richmond . Richmond 0-6 , that Richmond ? Yes, that Richmond . Now that is a bad loss . Not sure it tops
blowing a 19 point lead though , at least in my book . Have to find something to get the smell and taste of tonight's loss out of my heart and mind.
0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Up 3 after Martin 3.. carry drives the lane and Thompson drops off Hughes to help when no help was needed.. bang Hughes wide open 3. My biggest frustration with this team is basketball iq does not appear to be a strong point. To many mental mistakes.. could be coaching, but same coach was in charge up 19.. not much fire in the belly on this team except Cyril.. need that tj, Terrell. Stan type player to make the down and dirty plays.. noone on this team comes close.. disgraceful job on the defensive boards.. it's a shame because first half was best half of the year.. need something from Harris and soon.. not great depth on this team
4 x
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

Fatts has taken 113 threes on the year. And made 22.

The unrealness of that is off the charts. Talk about no conscience. But it’s Mainly on the coach for allowing that to continue.

He shot 33% from 3 last year. Stop giving him the green light on 3’s. Drive and dish or sit the bench. those are the worst numbers in the country be a mile.

Someone shooting 19% from 3 and having the most 3 attempts on the team at this point in the season is unfathomable.
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Just checked in at 9:15pm to get the score. Glad I missed it. What a total choke job.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

15 Year Lurker wrote: 5 years ago Fatts has taken 113 threes on the year. And made 22.

The unrealness of that is off the charts. Talk about no conscience. But it’s Mainly on the coach for allowing that to continue.

He shot 33% from 3 last year. Stop giving him the green light on 3’s. Drive and dish or sit the bench. those are the worst numbers in the country be a mile.

Someone shooting 19% from 3 and having the most 3 attempts on the team at this point in the season is unfathomable.
Overall Fatts shot .267 on threes last year and it was even lower if you consider only A-10 games
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

At this point I just wanna make it to Brooklyn.
0 x
GO RAMS
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I can’t even. It’s been a long time since I’ve wanted to throw something through my tv. Couldn’t get rebounds or defend the three. Missed a ton of FTs (not the reason they lost but would have made a full come back virtually impossible). This one will keep me up.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Obadiah wrote: 5 years ago
15 Year Lurker wrote: 5 years ago Fatts has taken 113 threes on the year. And made 22.

Overall Fatts shot .267 on threes last year and it was even lower if you consider only A-10 games
Been posting his stats for some time now

Doesn’t matter if it’s 3’s or 2’s.. his percentage is awful
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

steviep123 wrote: 5 years ago I can’t even. It’s been a long time since I’ve wanted to throw something through my tv. Couldn’t get rebounds or defend the three. Missed a ton of FTs (not the reason they lost but would have made a full come back virtually impossible). This one will keep me up.

EXACTLY how I feel
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

adam914 wrote: 5 years ago
RhodyRam86 wrote: 5 years ago Again...Fatts takes a 3 too early to end the half and gives the other team and opportunity to score. I know I'm nitpicking, but c'mon man!

Otherwise, great half. How is Duquesne 5-2 in conference?
Their A10 schedule has been pretty weak so far. Wins over Fordham, St. Joes, GW, and Richmond. No idea how they beat St. Louis though. Clearly must have played much better than that first half!
I cringed when I read this at halftime. This team is a roller coaster.
Duquesne is now 6-2 and headed to Dayton for a big game on Saturday.
We go to 4-4 and play Saint Louis at home on Saturday - I'll be surprised if we win.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

steviep123 wrote: 5 years ago I can’t even. It’s been a long time since I’ve wanted to throw something through my tv. Couldn’t get rebounds or defend the three. Missed a ton of FTs (not the reason they lost but would have made a full come back virtually impossible). This one will keep me up.

Only way this would keep me up would be if I ran out of brewhoffers...Fortunately, I'm a good planner.
Last edited by NYGFan_Section208 5 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote: 5 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 5 years ago CHRISTION THOMPSON IS THE MOST DISGUSTING PLAYER TO EVER PLAY 25 MPG FOR THIS TEAM EVER.

NO EFFORT. NO SKILL. HES PLAYING THE FUCKIMG FOUR AND HE WONT JUMP FOR REBOUNDS AND CANT HOLD ON TO THE GOS DAMN BALL.

PULL HIM THE FUCK OUT DAVID.
He knocks down a big 3.
Dope. That definitely makes up for 8 balls being rebounded on the offensive glass over his not-jumping-for-it-ass while Duquesne closed a TWENTY POINT GAP.
and why is Thompson taking the inside position on FTs for the opponent instead of Martin? trying to pad his rebounding numbers? He had a poor game of boxing out. Duquesne was rebounding right over him.
1 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

I’d venture that would be 100% of the time.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote: 5 years ago CHRISTION THOMPSON IS THE MOST DISGUSTING PLAYER TO EVER PLAY 25 MPG FOR THIS TEAM EVER.

NO EFFORT. NO SKILL. HES PLAYING THE FUCKIMG FOUR AND HE WONT JUMP FOR REBOUNDS AND CANT HOLD ON TO THE GOS DAMN BALL.

PULL HIM THE FUCK OUT DAVID.
He got killed rebounding tonight.
Too short to be playing down low in a 3 or 4 guard line up, does not jump well, does not box out well, does not hustle consistently, does not shoot well.....................will be a long season next year as well if he is in the starting line up and/or playing 20 minutes per game.
1 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

As bad as this loss was I must say that a lot of the 3s missed by the Dukes resulted in long rebounds that went right back to them.
Our first three possessions in the second half set the tone. To start it off Cyril was called for traveling at the top of the circle without a defender within 6 feet of him as he was making a pass. That my friends is lack of focus.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The tale of two halves

I was worried about tonight's game and now even more worried about Saturday
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Also, Jeff should not be playing 39 minutes and Harris has to be told to back off defensively when guarding his man 15 feet from the basket. And everyone on the team needs to stop going for the shot fake. This is especially true for the freshman.
Eff'n disgusted tonight.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 5 years ago The tale of two halves

I was worried about tonight's game and now even more worried about Saturday
About what?
1 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

The ESPN announcers kept talking about the “Rhode Island program.” I’m afraid to say we are watching all the progress we’ve made over the last 6 years go right down the drain.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Mediocre coaching, mediocre players, mediocre effort, leading to mediocre results. So much for “ Rhode Island Basketball.”
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

this makes sense..

what.PNG
what.PNG (9.21 KiB) Viewed 1162 times
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I know it’s been 20 games but Cox can’t let this team slide this this. I’m sorry he gets paid the big bucks for the blame.
2 x
GO RAMS
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Where do I start? Bad FT shooting? Check. Bad defense? Check. No rebounding? Check.

Horrendous 3 pt. shooting? Check.

Lack of mental toughness? Big time check.

It took ALL of this to lose this game.

Disgusting. This team will take years off everyone's lives playing like this.

And Cox? His "dream job" will become a nightmare sooner than later if he can't get this figured out.

And excuses are for losers. I'm really beginning to think we are seriously compromised talent wise. Our hope lies with the freshmen, and hopefully future recruits. Because the holdovers aren't getting it done. Period.
2 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

KevanBoyles wrote: 5 years ago The ESPN announcers kept talking about the “Rhode Island program.” I’m afraid to say we are watching all the progress we’ve made over the last 6 years go right down the drain.

Careful / I said this and got blasted even tho it’s a perfectly logical post
0 x