David Cox Coach's Show

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: David Cox Coach's Show: Thursday 6pm @ Mews Tavern

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Doesn’t Rhody Sports Properties / Learfield manage this entire arrangement?
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Re: David Cox Coach's Show: Thursday 6pm @ Mews Tavern

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

ATPTourFan wrote: 5 years ago Doesn’t Rhody Sports Properties / Learfield manage this entire arrangement?
Yes, but pretty sure there's something on Miller Lite's end, too. Especially for where the show is held. Red Parrott is not a sponsor of the school as far as I know, for example. Same with The Trap.

For people asking why Steve is asking questions, that they don't like his questions, that they wish they could ask the questions instead, etc. that would be the radio contract and NOT between Learfield... but I could be wrong.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Re: David Cox Coach's Show: TONIGHT 6pm @ Mews Tavern

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I am suggesting to replace Steve not have the fans ask the questions. Tyrese Martin for Thompson and Chris DiSano for Steve.
2 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Full house here.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

“This young team can’t handle prosperity, so now after every game we are 1-7.” Love it.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Re: David Cox Coach's Show

Unread post by steviep123 »

Any link to the show available?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago “This young team can’t handle prosperity, so now after every game we are 1-7.” Love it.
Is this a Coach Cox quote? That is awesome.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago “This young team can’t handle prosperity, so now after every game we are 1-7.” Love it.
Is this a Coach Cox quote? That is awesome.
Yeah, he said it during the show. I hope they embrace that mentality.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

steviep123 wrote: 5 years ago Any link to the show available?
Nope, else it'd be here.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

No link to the last show either. It might have something to do with being broadcast on Yurview. It sucks.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

This place again lol
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Show is tonight
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Good show so far. Don asked a good question on hedging out on the point guard and Coach Cox gave a good answer. He admitted their goal at UMASS was to stop Pipkins and make the rest of the team beat us. Which unfortunately, they did but I agree that was the risk to take.
Last edited by KevanBoyles 5 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Don also asked about Cyril and his TO issue. Another good question. All progress begins by telling the truth. Coach Cox admitted that when he gets the ball with his back to the basket that it’s a problem. Especially when it’s out more than two or 3 feet. He also said though he doesn’t wanna kill the kids confidence because he has made some good moves from that position during the year.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

KevanBoyles wrote: 5 years ago Don also asked about Cyril and his TO issue. Another good question. All progress begins by telling the truth. Coach Cox admitted that when he gets the ball with his back to the basket that it’s a problem. Especially when it’s out more than two or 3 feet. He also said though he doesn’t wanna kill the kids confidence because he has made some good moves from that position during the year.
He has made more bad moves with his back to the basket than good moves. He is much better when he is facing the basket and drives.

Don has to be fed those questions. My guess is from Shane (SID) that have been given the ok by Cox. I wouldn’t be surprised if they come from Cox (because he wants to answer these concerns publicly).
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

And Harris is the same way. Trying to develop these guys with their back to the basket is a trial by error for sure.

Don't think that Cyril will ever become good at it.....not sure about JH.

Anyway, when the ball goes to them in the hole everything stops...and that's not good... even when the ball is kicked out to an open shooter the shot is missed way more often than not.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago And Harris is the same way. Trying to develop these guys with their back to the basket is a trial by error for sure.

Anyway, when the ball goes to them in the hole everything stops...and that's not good... even when the ball is kicked out to an open shooter the shot is missed way more often than not.
It’s not their fault that they are kicking it out to sub 30% shooters (or sub 20%). I don’t know that I blame them for wanting to finish themselves when the guys around them not name Tyrese can’t buy a bucket.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Were any questions asked about the [lack of] defense?

We might be limited offensively, but we can beat the better A10 teams when we play defense for 40 minutes or at least close to it.

We can't beat shit when we don't.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

nice work with the updates here @KevanBoyles much appreciated.
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago Were any questions asked about the [lack of] defense?

We might be limited offensively, but we can beat the better A10 teams when we play defense for 40 minutes or at least close to it.

We can't beat shit when we don't.
Yes, the issue did come up. Coach Cox freely admitted there was zero intensity on the defensive side of the ball yesterday.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

As long as that problem keeps happening, we will lose several more games that we could win.

How much longer can they use the "youth and inexperience" and "it's on the road" excuses?

Did anybody ask WHY there was no defensive intensity, in response to Cox's admission?
1 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

“Did anybody ask WHY there was no defensive intensity, in response to Cox's admission?”

Not directly but the usual was discussed.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rhodylaw wrote: 5 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago And Harris is the same way. Trying to develop these guys with their back to the basket is a trial by error for sure.

It’s not their fault that they are kicking it out to sub 30% shooters (or sub 20%). I don’t know that I blame them for wanting to finish themselves when the guys around them not name Tyrese can’t buy a bucket.
Tell me how many times you have seen Cyril kick the ball back out to a shooter. I can’t remember ever seeing. Not once.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago

Tell me how many times you have seen Cyril kick the ball back out to a shooter. I can’t remember ever seeing. Not once.
How much of this shortcoming do you attribute to Cyril and how much to Cox & Staff?
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

I was there last night and I sincerely hope that's the last time they do a show there. :lol:
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago

How much of this shortcoming do you attribute to Cyril and how much to Cox & Staff?
......I will go way out on a limb here.......50/50.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
steviep123
Sly Williams

Going to be a long layoff before the next coaches show....
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago

I think its tough to pin on the staff bc until late they haven't had a ton of options for scoring, and Cyril for better or worse was giving you 12-14 a night. That said, if we can develop JH into an offensive threat and if Tyrese can continue to produce double digits we should be able to lighten the load on Cyril and bring down his usage. He is a Ben Wallace type, not Anthony Davis, he has to realize his strengths and play to them and the staff has to start game planning accordingly and not rely on throwing it down to him on the block repeatedly. Rebounds and put backs, dishes from penetrating guards and PnR should be his entire repetoire. Throwing it to him in ISO should be removed from the playbook. That was always fools gold and I and others have been saying that since Day 1 despite his gaudy numbers at times.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

steviep123 wrote: 5 years ago Going to be a long layoff before the next coaches show....

2/28 at Mews. That is a long time!
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Mews.... a proper venue.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

ATPTourFan wrote: 5 years ago Mews.... a proper venue.
I am not turning KB into Yelp, but where that place Dan's sets up the show is SO AWKWARD. Right next to the bathroom. AGAIN! Maybe they don't have the staffing for the larger function room? At least the bartender didn't turn on the dishwasher again and people could actually hear what the guys were saying this time.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Taylor Swift wrote: 5 years ago
I'll be away but can someone PLEASE ask Dave Cox if he's having second thoughts about moving Jeff Dowtin off the ball? Is this something that will change in the future?

Or is he going to continue to be stubborn and carry the worst offense in the history of URI basketball through to next year, for no other reason than his own stubborness?

I'd like to start to prepare in case I need to temper my expectations for next year too.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Blue Man wrote: 5 years ago
I'll be away but can someone PLEASE ask Dave Cox if he's having second thoughts about moving Jeff Dowtin off the ball? Is this something that will change in the future?

Or is he going to continue to be stubborn and carry the worst offense in the history of URI basketball through to next year, for no other reason than his own stubborness?

I'd like to start to prepare in case I need to temper my expectations for next year too.
Don’t hold your breath waiting for that to happen.

Do the assistants still do pre-game briefings in the alumni lounge? You could at least ask the question there. Or maybe a member of the press could try to get an answer.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.....I have not lately seen coach there, but I have left before the session ends.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Only maybe 10 peeps here
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

rudder is right, very low turnout.

Talked to DC afterwards....I now know what's wrong with Harris physically. There's a reason he plays limited minutes.

Helps to be there and ask questions.
1 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Harris has gotten through what had been difficult season physically for him w/o making excuses. He’s pushing to finish the year on the court. I believe once he gets some rest he’ll be much improved next year. His nonverbal aren’t great on the court but he’s frustrated with how much he can/can’t do.
2 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Link?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

His physical issue is limiting him. That's why he's not playing much late in games. And yes he's frustrated by it.
1 x
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

Wow,
Real inside stuff. Don't stop now. Tell us more. Screw HIPAA. Anyone else injured?
2 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Cameron_Dollar wrote: 5 years ago Wow,
Real inside stuff. Don't stop now. Tell us more. Screw HIPAA. Anyone else injured?

Joe Blow has plantar fasciitis. Can’t play shuffleboard like he used to. Del Boca Vista is wishing for a well recovery.
2 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

rhodyrudder wrote: 5 years ago Only maybe 10 peeps here
I was there. Got chicken tenders as I usually do at Mews, one was definitely a tofu tender that somehow got mixed in. I confirmed why I am not vegan in that moment.
5 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Cameron_Dollar wrote: 5 years ago Wow,
Go away.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

rhodyrudder wrote: 5 years ago Only maybe 10 peeps here
I was there. Got chicken tenders as I usually do at Mews, one was definitely a tofu tender that somehow got mixed in. I confirmed why I am not vegan in that moment.
I've tried and I just can't eat tofu....it's the texture. It's too weird to eat. Btw, had a physical the other day. The doctor said that the new recommendations are no alcohol and cut out all meat - go strict vegetarian. I need a new doctor - I don't need that kind of negativity in my life :lol: :lol: :lol:
6 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

steviep123
Sly Williams

I hope Harris recovers well and is in good shape next year. So that leaves a question. Over the past several years we've had 3 big men that have had some injuries preventing them from doing more for at least a few games. Cyril, Hassan, and now Harris. Is this just a case of bad luck or are there things we could do to better prevent these types of things?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.......if Harris is not 100% why not sit him now?......not a Dr. here, but did stay at a bodda-book
bodda-boom last nite.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

section(105) wrote: 5 years ago .......if Harris is not 100% why not sit him now?......not a Dr. here, but did stay at a bodda-book
bodda-boom last nite.....
If the options are limited minutes or complete shut down for the year, I will take the limited minutes.
1 x