Week #12 - Games of Interest

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Re: Week #12 - Games of Interest

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago
Shaolin Swat wrote: 5 years ago

So every team that wins their Conference Tournament does it by luck or by other teams choking or both. It can never be that Kellogg Grady was injured dutpring parts of the season resulting in a less than stellar NET or RPI, or that freshmen on Davidson become sophomores or better and Davidson becomes an NCAA Tournament team at the point of winning the A10 Tournament?
How about when URI won the A10 Tournament? For the first time since Lamar Odom? So URI was not a NCAA Tournament team because they got lucky and/or other teams chocked? It couldn’t be that URI just got on a role and played great and peaked at the right time?

I get looking solely at NET, RPI and Jim Baron’s entire “body or work” but there were years that Baron had the RPI but flailed late in the season - he did not get in with good Stats but did not finish strong.

Last year A10 got 3 teams in because 3 teams earned it - Davidson being one of them. It’s not all about the NET.

At no point did I make the argument that teams win the conference tournament by luck or other teams choking. My point (and RJ's larger point I think) was that there are teams that earn bids through their season-long resume and teams that earn bids through winning the conference tournament. The fact of the matter is that the conference was fortunate that Davidson won the A10 tourney for the auto bid, because only URI and St. Bonaventure had resumes strong enough to make the tournament without winning the auto bid. You can't count on a team winning the conference tournament and "stealing" a bid every year. The A10 needs to have 3-4 teams consistently with resumes that can get an at-large bid (easier said than done).

Why are you comparing the 2017 URI team to the 2018 Davidson team? That 2017 URI team makes the tournament even if they lose the A10 final, so they had a resume strong enough to get them in the tournament. If Davidson loses to URI in last year's A10 final, they don't get an NCAA bid - because they didn't have a good enough resume. It doesn't matter how good they were playing at the end of the season if they had lost the A10 championship game.
Never did I say you did. RJ did. Read through all the threads, not just some if your going to criticize me.
Yeah, I did read through all of the posts on this thread and took that as a response to me since it was a quote of my post. Also, I only posted my thoughts on this discussion, so don't take us having two different points of view as some sort of criticism.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I have to be honest - ignoring the semantics of a "deserving bid" to the NCAA tournament, I find it hard to believe that anyone can objectively say the A10 is a 3 bid league this year. After this week of games though a 2-bid year seems possible, a 1 bid year seems equally likely.

VCU possesses the highest NET ranking at this point in the year at 57. After seeing them in person, despite their defense, I expect several more losses for them in conference.

Considering that all of the 13 remaining teams in the A10 have NET rankings outside of the field of 68, 10 outside of the top 100, 7 outside of the top 140, and FIVE outside of the top 200 - this is literally the worst A10 year at this point that I can remember.

Since NET is new and we don't exactly know how it will be used, just going off of the quadrant formula; VCU is going to have ZERO Q1 opportunities remaining this year. Their SOS sits at 71 and it will continue to fall as they have 4 games remaining against 200 > opponents, and their best win opportunity will come in a home game against currently NET #71 Saint Louis (who is also a flawed team).

Davidson will have 1 barely Q1 game @ SLU, but 5 remaining against the 200> teams.

SLU will have 1 Q1 game @ VCU, and 3 >200 games left.

The only way I can see a 3 bid is if VCU and SLU nearly win out, and someone else beats them en route to a tourney title. I just don't think either team is far-and-away better than everyone else they're playing to do that. Every team in the A10 is fatally flawed and inconsistent, just not our year.

This is just one of those seasons where there are not a lot of good seniors on a lot of good teams. If you look at the preseason polls of all-conference teams, of the current "top tier" teams - there's only one senior, Javon Bess, who is on a team even thought to be capable of making the tournament.

Mason/Otis Livingston and Dayton/Cunningham certainly didn't do enough in OOC to put their teams in a position for an at-large.

The good news is that you'll have guys like sophs/juniors like Kellan Grady, Jeff Dowtin, Fatts, Cyril, Jordan Goodwin, Gudmundsson, Charlie Brown, etc - on teams that you could expect to compete next year.

This is just what happens some years, and it just sucks for the A10 that it happened at the same time over the last 2 years.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

We are a one-bid league this year.

We win the regular season title and then win the tournament....
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Ramulous wrote: 5 years ago We are a one-bid league this year.

We win the regular season title and then win the tournament....
I would love it that was the case.

To be honest I lean closer to the 1-bid than the 2 - but could see 2 happening if SLU/VCU nearly run the table AND someone else (preferably wearing Keaney Blue) takes the Brooklyn crown. No way do we get 3.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Blue Man wrote: 5 years ago I have to be honest - ignoring the semantics of a "deserving bid" to the NCAA tournament, I find it hard to believe that anyone can objectively say the A10 is a 3 bid league this year. After this week of games though a 2-bid year seems possible, a 1 bid year seems equally likely.

VCU possesses the highest NET ranking at this point in the year at 57. After seeing them in person, despite their defense, I expect several more losses for them in conference.

Considering that all of the 13 remaining teams in the A10 have NET rankings outside of the field of 68, 10 outside of the top 100, 7 outside of the top 140, and FIVE outside of the top 200 - this is literally the worst A10 year at this point that I can remember.

Since NET is new and we don't exactly know how it will be used, just going off of the quadrant formula; VCU is going to have ZERO Q1 opportunities remaining this year. Their SOS sits at 71 and it will continue to fall as they have 4 games remaining against 200 > opponents, and their best win opportunity will come in a home game against currently NET #71 Saint Louis (who is also a flawed team).

Davidson will have 1 barely Q1 game @ SLU, but 5 remaining against the 200> teams.

The only way I can see a 3 bid is if VCU and SLU nearly win out, and someone else beats them en route to a tourney title. I just don't think either team is far-and-away better than everyone else they're playing to do that. Every team in the A10 is fatally flawed and inconsistent, just not our year.

This is just one of those seasons where there are not a lot of good seniors on a lot of good teams. If you look at the preseason polls of all-conference teams, of the current "top tier" teams - there's only one senior, Javon Bess, who is on a team even thought to be capable of making the tournament.

Mason/Otis Livingston and Dayton/Cunningham certainly didn't do enough in OOC to put their teams in a position for an at-large.

The good news is that you'll have guys like sophs/juniors like Kellan Grady, Jeff Dowtin, Fatts, Cyril, Jordan Goodwin, Gudmundsson, Charlie Brown, etc - on teams that you could expect to compete next year.

This is just what happens some years, and it just sucks for the A10 that it happened at the same time over the last 2 years.
Next year is the year for the A10. Based on what you laid out above, there will be 6 or 7 teams that return virtually their entire starting lineup as well as key subs. Rhody, VCU, Duquesne, Davidson, St Joe's, Lasalle will return their entire starting lineup. Umass, Dayton, Mason will return all but 1 of their key core players (minus Holloway, Cunningham, Livingston). St Louis will lose a bit but still return French and Gordon as well as other young pieces (Thatch, Hankens, etc). Bonnies will take a step back losing Stockard and Griffin, and Richmond, GW and Fordham will suck for the foreseeable future. But net net, unlike this year, next year there should be 4-5 teams that enter the season with legit NCAA hopes. The A10s best seasons have always been when the top teams are anchored by veteran talent, that is not the case this year, but it will be the case next.
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 5 years ago I have to be honest - ignoring the semantics of a "deserving bid" to the NCAA tournament, I find it hard to believe that anyone can objectively say the A10 is a 3 bid league this year. After this week of games though a 2-bid year seems possible, a 1 bid year seems equally likely.

Next year is the year for the A10. Based on what you laid out above, there will be 6 or 7 teams that return virtually their entire starting lineup as well as key subs. Rhody, VCU, Duquesne, Davidson, St Joe's, Lasalle will return their entire starting lineup. Umass, Dayton, Mason will return all but 1 of their key core players (minus Holloway, Cunningham, Livingston). St Louis will lose a bit but still return French and Gordon as well as other young pieces (Thatch, Hankens, etc). Bonnies will take a step back losing Stockard and Griffin, and Richmond, GW and Fordham will suck for the foreseeable future. But net net, unlike this year, next year there should be 4-5 teams that enter the season with legit NCAA hopes. The A10s best seasons have always been when the top teams are anchored by veteran talent, that is not the case this year, but it will be the case next.
Hopefully that is the case. I used to always go by that on the returning players, but the truth is between transfers, injuries and the fact that sometimes many of the teams and players are just average and still can’t compete against the power 5 conference teams and getting the non conference wins needed for an at-large. I definitely think the conference will be better next year and back to 2-3 teams making the tourney. There is a very, very minimal chance of two teams making the tourney this year. It would take VCU, St. Louis or Dayton running the table and losing in A-10 finals. These teams just don’t have any quality wins to make a case.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Bryant won last night in an exciting finish over Central Ct State. A Bulldogs three broke a tie with .09 left. Bryant then blocked a shot attempt as time expired. They are now 7-11 but 4-3 in the NEC, the first time they have been above .500 in league play this far in for several years. Grasso seems to be making some progress there.
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

No Friday games in the A-10.

Only game involving a URI OOC opponent is Brown travelling to Yale, 7 PM. On ESPN+. The Bruins will try to wrest this one to offset their close loss last week to the Yalies in Providence.

The tempo picks up on Saturday with a full slate of games. In the A-10:

Davidson at Saint Louis, 2 PM. ON CBSSN.

Dayton at Fordham, 2 PM. On ESPN+.

VCU at Duquesne, 2 PM. On ESPN+.

St. Bonaventure at Richmond, 7 PM. On ESPN+.

Saint Joseph's at Pennsylvania, 8 PM. On ESPN+.

George Washinton at George Mason, 7 PM. On ESPN+.

In games involving URI OOC opponents:

Dartmouth at Harvard, 2 PM. On ESPN+.

Navy at Holy Cross, 3:05 PM.

West Virginia at #1 Tennessee, 4 PM. On ESPN. Game is part of the SEC/Big12 Challenge.

Bucknell at American, 4 PM.

William & Mary at Charleston, 4 PM.

Fairleigh Dickinson at Bryant, 4 PM.

Middle Tennessee at North Texas, 6 PM. On ESPN+.

Vermont at Stony Brook, 7 PM. On ESPN3.

Charlotte at UTEP, 9 PM.

UC Davis at Hawaii, 11:59 PM.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The primary subject of discussion has been a number of posters saying the A10 will be a 1 bid league this year
I say no, the A10 will for sure not be a 1 bid league. At least 2 and possibly 3, no way 1.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

If the top teams keep beating each other, with no one separating themselves from the pack by conference tourney time, then 1 bid is likely.

Right now you have 7 teams basically 1 game apart in the standings at the one third mark of the season.

The A10 needs 2 teams to get to 14-4 or better to have a legit shot at 2 bids, since the OOC was such a disaster for everyone. VCU's win over Texas is the best win and that really isn't anything to write home about.

Are there any 2 teams that have a shot at such a record? Me says no. 3 bids is a long shot.

The only road to 2 bids currently looks like one at large team, plus an upset in the tourney.

Of course who will be that one at large team? If there is one.
0 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago If the top teams keep beating each other, with no one separating themselves from the pack by conference tourney time, then 1 bid is likely.

Right now you have 7 teams basically 1 game apart in the standings at the one third mark of the season.

The A10 needs 2 teams to get to 14-4 or better to have a legit shot at 2 bids, since the OOC was such a disaster for everyone. VCU's win over Texas is the best win and that really isn't anything to write home about.

Are there any 2 teams that have a shot at such a record? Me says no. 3 bids is a long shot.

The only road to 2 bids currently looks like one at large team, plus an upset in the tourney.

Of course who will be that one at large team? If there is one.
I'd say, more specifically, Saint Louis and VCU would need to pull away from everybody else and finish 14-4 or better in conference and then make a run in the A10 tournament to have a legit shot at bids. Even then, I'm not totally confident that both would be able to make the tournament unless they met in the A10 finals.

All that being said, I don't know if I see both of those teams going on that kind of run through the rest of the season. VCU would need to go 10-2 to get to 14-4 (which I don't think they will) and Saint Louis would need to go 9-3 the rest of the way (which I think is more likely than VCU).
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The margin for error for them and especially for a few others, is really small and there's a long way to go. Not looking good.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

The primary subject of discussion has been a number of posters saying the A10 will be a 1 bid league this year
I say no, the A10 will for sure not be a 1 bid league. At least 2 and possibly 3, no way 1.
What evidence that the teams in this league would make you think that they deserve more than 1 bid? This has been the A-10’s worst non conference slate as a whole against both top 25 teams and quality opponents. None of the teams will have an argument come March when they all have at least 8 loses and no quality wins. Two is a real long shot. Three is a complete joke to even discuss.
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The only thing that might help get more than one bid, is if a couple of the top teams just don't lose to any bottom feeders going forward.

I know that's not likely, but so far it really hasn't happened yet. The top half of the conference has separated itself from the bottom half.

Even on Wednesday, Dayton, StLouis, and VCU lost, but they lost to other teams in the top half, and 2 of the 3 were on the road.

No real standouts yet....but a couple will have to, or the at large bids won't be there.

And looking at the NET ratings....those teams had better be named VCU, StLouis, or Davidson.....the rest are too far gone to be even considered no matter what happens down the road.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Agree our conference was just awful OOC

VCU beat Texas who is just 11-8 overall how is that a quality win ??

Most likely 1 bid this year unless someone goes on a crazy winning streak
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

St. Louis defeated Butler, @ Seton Hall and Oregon St. While losing very close games to Pitt and @ #24 Houston. Also losing a bad one @ #11 Florida State. Overall that’s one hell of an OOC.
0 x
GO RAMS
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

SLU might be the only hope for an at-large bid after we win the regular season and tournament auto-bid.....
2 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago St. Louis defeated Butler, @ Seton Hall and Oregon St. While losing very close games to Pitt and @ #24 Houston. Also losing a bad one @ #11 Florida State. Overall that’s one hell of an OOC.
The real reason they are struggling is because of their efficiency in conference, as they were in a decent spot in the OOC... To this point they have played 6 conference games and are 5-1.
In 3 home games, they have played an average NET of 164 and are +21.
In 3 road games, they have played an average NET of 211 and are +6.
That is +27 in 6 games against an average opponent of 188 (+4.5 per game).

St. Louis is the case file on the team who says "It's not our fault we can't play all these great teams," but against many below average teams they are barely squeaking by.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Nother good opportunity for Syracuse today at Va Tech. 6 point underdogs, 17.5% chance of winning...win win situation, playing with house money. They've gotta be getting close to ranked again, aren't they?

Pitt @ #23 Lville. And Pitt has already beat them this year. More kudos to Pitt. In the offseason, it seemed like that place was making that proverbial handbasket trip.

Hoping for big upset for WVU in Tennessee today. That plus, being on a 5 game winner winner streak, will make the STL game interesting.

Hurls hosts Wichita State (how are they not the "Witches"?) UConn has one more loss than URI...which team finishes with a better record?
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Watching Amir Harris (former Rhody commit) getting some playing time for Nebraska (vs Ohio State on FS1).
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 5 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago St. Louis defeated Butler, @ Seton Hall and Oregon St. While losing very close games to Pitt and @ #24 Houston. Also losing a bad one @ #11 Florida State. Overall that’s one hell of an OOC.
The real reason they are struggling is because of their efficiency in conference, as they were in a decent spot in the OOC... To this point they have played 6 conference games and are 5-1.
In 3 home games, they have played an average NET of 164 and are +21.
In 3 road games, they have played an average NET of 211 and are +6.
That is +27 in 6 games against an average opponent of 188 (+4.5 per game).

St. Louis is the case file on the team who says "It's not our fault we can't play all these great teams," but against many below average teams they are barely squeaking by.
Understood although I feel as if many teams have close wins ie St. John’s over VCU that will just be looked at as a win to most when applying the “eye test” to a record. Which brings me to my next question, how is the hell did St. Louis squire an OOC like that when they’ve been mediocre to horrible for the past 6-7 season? Yet Rhody is barely squeaking by after their past two successful seasons.
0 x
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Two Big Games for the upper bracket of the A10 Standings. Games are critical to the all important A10 Tournament Byes

Davidson at Saint Louis, 2 PM. ON CBSSN. SLU is favored by 3 points
VCU at Duquesne, 2 PM. On ESPN+. VCU is favored by 3 points.

6-1 George Mason (12-8) NET=131
5-1 Davidson (14-5) NET= 69
5-1 Duquesne (14-5) NET= 145
5-1 St Louis (14-5) NET= 75

4-2 VCU (13-6) NET= 59

4-2 Dayton (12-7) NET= 108
4-2 URI (11-7) NET= 112
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

At the end of the weekend the A10 could have 2 teams with one loss and 5 teams with two losses.
Last edited by Rhody83 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Sincere Carry not playing today for Duquesne.
They also lost their freshman forward Rotroff for the season to an ACL in the Saint Louis game
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

38-29 Duquesne with 2.5 minutes left in half
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Pitt has some decent players. That seems like it would help explain why they aren't terrible. Up 4 at half at L'ville.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

At the half, next Wednesday's opponent, Duquesne, leads last Wednesday's opponent, VCU, 41-39, fueled by a barrage of Dukes' three pointers, 8-15, 53%.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Crazy in the first half VCU fouled Duquesne 3 times on 3 point attempts and twice the 3 pointers we made to make them 4 point attempts. Driving mike Rhoades crazy.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

SLU and Davidson are playing a hell of a game.

SLU just hit a 3 to go up 1 with 0:11 left
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Also Gudmundsson is their new Aldridge...

Annoying white player with a crew cut that looks like he has 0 athletic ability but somehow fills the scoresheet every game

Goodwin just had a brutal 10 seconds

Fouls Gudmundsson 30ft from the hoop with 5 sec left. Giving Davidson the lead.

He then gets fouled with 0.4 sec left and bricks both FT to lose the game by 1
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

The Dukes' three point prowess in the first half disappeared in the second as they fell behind by as many as 10 points, though two late threes put them within reach in the last minute, but VCU prevailed, 80-74.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

How do we feel about STL losing to Davidson and VCU beating Duquesne????
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

This is how conference play should be, the top half just beating each other up for the top spots.
0 x
GO RAMS
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

We beat VCU, we get to play them again, we want them to keep on winning.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

St. Louis has the Travis Ford factor....although he didn't miss those FT's....we have to take care of them here.

The more games that are played between the A10's best teams, the more it's clear no one has an edge.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote: 5 years ago Also Gudmundsson is their new Aldridge...

Annoying white player with a crew cut that looks like he has 0 athletic ability but somehow fills the scoresheet every game

Goodwin just had a brutal 10 seconds

Fouls Gudmundsson 30ft from the hoop with 5 sec left. Giving Davidson the lead.

He then gets fouled with 0.4 sec left and bricks both FT to lose the game by 1
I would insert a "that's what she said" joke here about goodwin... but given his past, maybe it's in poor taste...
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Friars won and the Jonnies lost. That leaves the nbe with 80% of the conference under .500.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago Friars won and the Jonnies lost. That leaves the nbe with 80% of the conference under .500.
Good for parity. Bad for tournament bids.
1 x