Hockey article

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Hockey article

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

https://www.providencejournal.com/sport ... -milestone

Again-going D1 mention. No ideas as to how to fund?
Imagine trying to get $$ out of alums for hockey?
Particularly women's team? Whoa !! I mean whoa!!
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Re: Hockey article

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

It’s time do it!

Congrats and thanks coach!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

In a perfect world we would have D1 hockey at Rhody......the world is not perfect.....

...Divver did a disservice to the readers of the article by totally avoiding the Title IX ramifications keeping D1 from happening.....his article was great about Coach and the team....but it told only half the story.....
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Ramulous-spot on!

Glaring omissions!
Dropping some big #s,but no source of $$?
i know how hard it is to raise $$ for hoops and FB. But hockey,come on,man!!
0 x
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

This post has been up for 15 hours and we still haven't gotten a "drop football for hockey now!" comment?

I am pleasantly surprised!

Just like a lot of people here I would love to have hockey at URI. Never say never.
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

If Divver feels it makes Rhode Island look bad not to have a D1 hockey program at its state flagship, I suggest he lobby the Governor, General Assembly, and local business community for the money to fund such a program.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Repeat hrstrat57 button on.

D1 hockey and football have zero relationship.

D1 cannot happen without women's hockey going varsity. The women's program is equally deserving. Thus title IX is not relevant either. Both must be promoted.

______

RF1 is spot on there are plenty of wealthy hockey fans who can kick in. They've kicked in before of course but the money got diverted elsewhere.

The rink is a massive money maker for URI. I believe the ice is only idle on Christmas day? Local HS hockey is booming due to the Boss Arena.

I do not believe we are ready to jump into Hockey East presently. In 2005/2006 we were - that team was big and fast. Using the UMass model in jumping to varsity would be the best course of action IMHO. Augustine tho clearly wants to coach at the highest level perhaps he could recruit enough freshman talent to not get pounded in Hockey East. He certainly has earned the opportunity to choose. PC / URI at the Boss would be exciting for sure.

We've previously had invitation into ECAC as well....I believe as recently as when UVM jumped from ECAC to Hockey East.

Seeing a Augustine coached team in action is impressive. As the article points out it's real solid stuff, URI always is solid when D3 teams agree to play us. You all should consider taking in a game. 2 games this weekend vs. Delaware I believe? Super cheap too! $2 for students, $5 for adults.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Title IX is relevant....you cannot make 20 or so more men's scholarships without and equal number of women's scholarships according to Title IX....you then double the cost of adding hockey...money the school won't spend.....or can't
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

I don’t know enough about women’s hockey to agree or disagree that it would “double the cost” The entry fee into hockey east is steep, not sure if that’s the case for women’s ice hockey. I’m out of the loop now I admit I don’t know what the current number are for entry into Atlantic Hockey, ECAC or Hockey East.

We cannot promote the men’s team without promoting the women’s team.

If offering the same number of scholarships is a non starter then I agree Ramulous that ends the debate.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The lack of the money to sufficiently fund both a men's and women's hockey team is what keeps it from happening. URI athletics is already very cash strapped as it is.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

0 x
runrhody
Jim Eitner

Unread post by runrhody »

It would be nice to honor coach during one of the home BB games like they do for the scholar athlete or A10 winning teams.
3 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

RF1-great idea.
The legislature and governor would look at Divver like he had 3 heads!
Soliciting funds for hockey would be as welcome as eczema.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Ramulous wrote: 5 years ago Title IX is relevant....you cannot make 20 or so more men's scholarships without and equal number of women's scholarships according to Title IX....you then double the cost of adding hockey...money the school won't spend.....or can't
I will make this comment from pure ignorance, but rather than simply adding scholarships, is there anywhere to reduce scholarships? The men have low-revenue sports like track&field, cross country, and golf. The woman have sports rowing, swimming & diving, tennis, cross country, and track & field. I don't even know if those sports have allocated scholarships, but just a different approach to the scholarship problem. I believe it's 18 scholarships per gender, except for the Atlantic Conference which I believe offers 14.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 5 years ago
Ramulous wrote: 5 years ago Title IX is relevant....you cannot make 20 or so more men's scholarships without and equal number of women's scholarships according to Title IX....you then double the cost of adding hockey...money the school won't spend.....or can't
I will make this comment from pure ignorance, but rather than simply adding scholarships, is there anywhere to reduce scholarships? The men have low-revenue sports like track&field, cross country, and golf. The woman have sports rowing, swimming & diving, tennis, cross country, and track & field. I don't even know if those sports have allocated scholarships, but just a different approach to the scholarship problem. I believe it's 18 scholarships per gender, except for the Atlantic Conference which I believe offers 14.
Keep in mind that A-10 membership requires a certain level of participation with regards to the number of sports. It is not as easy as dropping sports for another. Keep in mind that some of these other sports have low costs. Salary, scholarships, and sometimes even travel is sometimes fairly minimal. Keep in mind some A-10 sports such as golf and track & field/cc do not individually play other league members. They do meets with multiple teams.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

I think they've looked at it several ways to make it fit and it can't under the present fundIng

RJ....remember that baseball was a victim to Title IX at your school....and you don't have football....
0 x
RhodyinCali
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RhodyinCali »

The sports you mentioned I doubt are fully funded so they in total might reach 14, so if you add the Mens Team by reducing those other sports, you aren't fixing the problem because then they wouldn't be Title IX compliant. After the year football had this year, I'm certain Thorr is going to ride or die with Football.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Thorr is 100% committed to football. The turf and lights are happening, possibly this summer, due to the fact that they have virtually reached their funding needs by now.

I find it somewhat interesting that Fleming hasn't been extended yet, as far as I know. This is his last year of his contract. Recruiting could be an issue if a commitment isn't made.

We are close to continuing an upward trend...need to find another QB like Lawson though.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I’ve mentioned this in the past. Can’t the university focus on revenue driven/major sports instead of track or cross country? I realize Uri has a very good track program but obviously hockey would be much more beneficial for promoting this schools athletics.
0 x
GO RAMS
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

How many colleges and universities have track and cross-country?
How many have D1 hockey?

Are you advocating getting rid of track and cc entirely?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

And sounds like overstating popularity of hockey and it’s revenue potential.
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

I've stated previously I would love to have men's and women's hockey at Rhody at the D1 level......but we can't ignore the funding and Title IX ramifications.....

...I'd foremost like funding to upgrade Meade Stadium in addition to turf and lights.....and have a facility for all sports as an athletic/training/support facility....
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

0 x
GO RAMS
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

sounds great, hope it happens!
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Unread post by Brian Forster »

Jeff Cox
@JeffCoxSports
· May 11
LIU having trouble in its search for head coach of the recently announced program. At least four potential candidates have withdrawn from consideration due to concerns over salary and funding of program.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Alabama Huntsville dropping men’s ice hockey effective immediately, citing budget
https://www.uscho.com/2020/05/22/breaki ... ng-budget/
0 x
raminwarwick
Abdul Fox

Unread post by raminwarwick »

I hope this is not being placed here to prove why Rhody should not have hockey. Alabama Huntsville is in the WCHO and its closest league team is in Kentucky with most of the league in Mich. Two of the teams are in Alaska. Just think of their travel expenses compared to what ours would be. I also think the state of RI has a bigger hockey following then Alabama.
2 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Ramin-since it would have to come from the boosters,how would you go about raising the $$.

Start with the womens team.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Shhh...hockey reads this board. Be nice to hockey!
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I’d rather read Rambone’s takes on Covid 19 than speculation about D1 hockey at URI.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
Brian Forster
ARD

Rhody74-agreed-amazing.
0 x