'19 MD F Marial Mading (Pacific Commit)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Re: '19 MD F Marial Mading (URI Signed LOI)

Unread post by DC_Rams »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago This early enrollment thing is huge in college football and seems to significantly enhance the likelihood that a guy contributes as a freshman. I’m not aware of it being a regular thing in college basketball, but I like the idea of it. In football, of course, the early enrollees get the benefit of participating in spring camp, which many basketball freshmen get the equivalent of by attending summer sessions and beginning their work in the program at that time - that seems to be the best analogy from a the standpoint of focusing on development. But still, being there for this part of the season will definitely not hurt Mading and Walker in terms of development, and could also add something to the team to the extent they’re utilized in practice as scout players.
Mading I think will have the similar impact Jenkins from VCU has. Except Marial has range!
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I hope you are right, Jenkins was close to a 4 star prospect I believe, with offers from Clemson and Tennessee.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago
Ramulous wrote: 5 years ago Marial's size and purported skill set intrigue me.......he is going to end up on the spectrum somewhere between me and the real Greek Freak, probably ....
Haha. I was thinking you and an a top D1 SF.
I don’t hate Marial. I want him to do well. I do think he has a lot of development in front of him. I think he can have an impact his Soph year. He upside is significant. I have seen him play 5 times so this isn’t off any video. I also think it is great that he is in Kingston early. The extra time could benefit him significantly and he wasn’t getting much out of Commonwealth Academy.
I think this is spot on. To get a lot of minutes next year he'd have to move ahead of Cyril, Harris, Walker, Tate or Martin. When Cyril graduates, the coaches will find a way to get him minutes at the 3/4.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago I hope you are right, Jenkins was close to a 4 star prospect I believe, with offers from Clemson and Tennessee.

I was going to post that Jenkins was like a top 60 guy coming out. So I fact checked myself and he was #43. So interesting to look through from the top and recognize how many pro guys there are now from his class. I wonder what his remaining rank would be now that all those guys are gone. He is like a top 15-20 guy remaining in those rankings without doing them over.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 5 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago I hope you are right, Jenkins was close to a 4 star prospect I believe, with offers from Clemson and Tennessee.

I was going to post that Jenkins was like a top 60 guy coming out. So I fact checked myself and he was #43. So interesting to look through from the top and recognize how many pro guys there are now from his class. I wonder what his remaining rank would be now that all those guys are gone. He is like a top 15-20 guy remaining in those rankings without doing them over.
Rankings mean squat to me. They are nice, but these kids control their own destiny. Imagine the matchup nightmares Marial will creates once he’s adds a little strength to his frame. He already has the length. He will no doubt come in an be positionless and be lethal at the 2/3, and serviceable at the 4. He may not be ready next year, but by his sophomore season, I see 20-25 minutes a game.
3 x
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

cracks the top 50 in rivals updated rankings for power forwards at 47. hammond and long both down a couple slots, but basically unchanged for the small forward position - a little disappointing since they both seem to be playing well, but they are only rankings.

https://n.rivals.com/position_rankings/ ... ll/2019/PF
https://n.rivals.com/position_rankings/ ... ll/2019/SF
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Composite Rankings
Mading #340
Hammond #199
Long #232
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago
Seawrightspostgame wrote: 5 years ago

Rankings mean squat to me. They are nice, but these kids control their own destiny. Imagine the matchup nightmares Marial will creates once he’s adds a little strength to his frame. He already has the length. He will no doubt come in an be positionless and be lethal at the 2/3, and serviceable at the 4. He may not be ready next year, but by his sophomore season, I see 20-25 minutes a game.
I would wait to see this kid play before making him the next Lamar Odom. Harris was a huge prospect wanted by many big time schools and he has struggled to produce. I think Harris eventually will, but it will take time. I’m definitely not holding hope for this guy to be the next big thing. He wasn’t highly thought of by tons of bigger programs and recruiters who watch even players in the mid 300’s. I hope you are right on him, but think he would get manhandled at the 4. His position is probably a small forward spot.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

#340?? That rating makes me ask "does the kid know what sport hes playing?" He seems better then that.
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago #340?? That rating makes me ask "does the kid know what sport hes playing?" He seems better then that.
To DC Rams’ point about ratings - 2016 Cyril #326, Tertsea #276, Dowtin #273, Layssard #263
Dayton 2017 Toppin Not Rated.
2 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

The questions I think are going to be will he ever be strong enough for this level of college basketball
especially to play the 4 and will he be quick enough to play the 2/3 at this level. The next Lamar Odom
... doubtful. I think a more realistic "STRETCH GOAL" would be K.I. I think everyone would be beyond
happy if he turned out to be close to KI. I don't think that is a sure bet. I hopeful that he will put on
the weight and muscle needed and not lose his quickness as he adds weight. Only time will tell.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

CHICO 78 wrote: 5 years ago The questions I think are going to be will he ever be strong enough for this level of college basketball
especially to play the 4 and will he be quick enough to play the 2/3 at this level. The next Lamar Odom
... doubtful. I think a more realistic "STRETCH GOAL" would be K.I. I think everyone would be beyond
happy if he turned out to be close to KI. I don't think that is a sure bet. I hopeful that he will put on
the weight and muscle needed and not lose his quickness as he adds weight. Only time will tell.
Agree. He has a long way to go to be the next KI in rebounding and defense. He needs strength and wtg to compete.
KI did play the 4 though.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

KI came in as a Junior. This kid is going to be a Freshman.
Lots and lots of time ahead.
I very good pick up for URI - but a very long way to go.
Love kids with high upsides, especially guys of this size
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

He will be the first Marial......
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

0 x
GO RAMS
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

https://newenglandrecruitingreport.com/ ... ay-1-recap

Sounds positive to me. We’ll have to wait and see.

“Marial Mading (2019) - The 6’10 University of Rhode Island commit was impressive once again. Marial can score at all three levels and knows how to use his size to create scoring opportunities. Knocked down a couple three’s early in the first half which sparked his team. Mading led Springfield Commonwealth with 22 points.”
0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

I just hope he can make FTs.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

1 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Like most of our recruits (and 90% of recruits in general) this kid is a big question mark as to what he will become, but I love the fact that he's here early and able to work with our coaches. Hopefully he can put some muscle on that frame in the next 10 months. If he can consistantly hit some outside shots it would help open the inside game for Harris.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 5 years ago Like most of our recruits (and 90% of recruits in general) this kid is a big question mark as to what he will become, but I love the fact that he's here early and able to work with our coaches. Hopefully he can put some muscle on that frame in the next 10 months. If he can consistantly hit some outside shots it would help open the inside game for Harris.
I agree...
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I got to the RC at 3:00 yesterday. Mading was out shooting with the team. He's got a really nice looking outside shot. He was backing out well behind the 3 point line to 25 feet or so. I'd say he took about 50 shots from that area. He made about 45 of them. No, there wasn't any pressure on him. No, there was no defense. But his shot looks effortless, even from that far out. Now, can he move without the ball and get open to see shots like that? Can he create his own shot? I have no idea. But I did enjoy watching him shoot. And that was about the only joy I got from being at the RC yesterday.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

As a 3, not too many defenders in the A10 could alter or block that shot, at his height.

Obviously he must have good technique and mechanics to shoot like that. He will be a welcome addition.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I hope Mading comes in an absolutely tears it up from day one, but I also hope that as fans we have learned our lesson by now about expecting much out of freshman early on. Especially in cases like this where they were not highly ranked and labeled as a project from the start.
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

As long as the coaches can design an offense that gets him open looks, then at least we'll see what he can do.

That's what worries me more. If he has trouble getting his own shot, then he will need that help from the team and coaches.

Remember, Baron couldn't figure out how to get his son open looks...we'll see.
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Super tall and can hit turn around jumpers. Defender or no defender that takes a bit of skill and most players can't elevate to alter a shot like that on guy his size.
1 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

With Mading having started school second semester is he a red shirt and if so is he out until next January?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

4 year player and eligible this fall.
1 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago 4 year player and eligible this fall.
Can he still be red shirted? If he was practicing with the team I don’t understand.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Redshirt allows you to practice but not play in the games. He is only redshirting his first semester (Spring ‘19). So starting Fall ‘19 he is a full roster player.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Would he have been eligible to play this semester? I guess I had assumed he was on campus as a non-matriculating student and not on scholarship yet, but that’s interesting. News to me, at least.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Speaking of this semester, I might have missed it, but has Walker been cleared to play 1st semester?
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago Would he have been eligible to play this semester? I guess I had assumed he was on campus as a non-matriculating student and not on scholarship yet, but that’s interesting. News to me, at least.
Logistically, he would have had to go through the clearinghouse, with no assurance of timeline given how late everything developed.

Developmentally, nothing good could have come from his attempting to play immediately.
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago Speaking of this semester, I might have missed it, but has Walker been cleared to play 1st semester?
Don't think they rule that quickly.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ace wrote: 5 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago Would he have been eligible to play this semester? I guess I had assumed he was on campus as a non-matriculating student and not on scholarship yet, but that’s interesting. News to me, at least.
Logistically, he would have had to go through the clearinghouse, with no assurance of timeline given how late everything developed.

Developmentally, nothing good could have come from his attempting to play immediately.
He is on scholarship this semester (URI had 1 open scholarship).
If he dressed/played he would’ve used up a full year of eligibility. He has four years of eligibility left.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I was only asking about his eligibility to play rhetorically, with respect to his status. I was not suggesting that he should have played. The thought of having him actually play never even crossed my mind. It seems like there are questions enough already about whether he will be asked to contribute much next year; don’t think there was anything to be gained this year from either the players’ or the teams’ perspective.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

If he dressed/played he would’ve used up a full year of eligibility. He has four years of eligibility left.
Yes, I know that. Players can be on scholarship and practice with the team without yet being cleared. Jarvis is one recent example I can think of. He was cleared in advance of the season but was not yet when he stepped on campus with a scholarship.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Yes, I know that. Players can be on scholarship and practice with the team without yet being cleared. Jarvis is one recent example I can think of. He was cleared in advance of the season but was not yet when he stepped on campus with a scholarship.
I was answering TP’s original question/post about student status and other post about redshirting. Agreed with your post. Just copied it to add to the conversation.
0 x
RhodyRamFan69
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RhodyRamFan69 »

Just saw this video on Mading he is incredibly skillful for his size and has a buttery stroke from deep. I would expect him to get solid minutes in 19-20:

0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Mading's shot is smooth that's fir sure. From the vids in this thread, looks like he's got to learn to finish with his left hand from that side of the hoop. Sure has a ton of up-side with a smooth handle and smooth shot at 6'11", it'd be nice to see him develop into a good 3, he'd be a tough match-up for other small forwards. Hope he can rise to the new levels of competition in college.
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

It's hard for tall guys to put it on the deck. Kuran Iverson handles great in an empty gym, but you don't want him taking it through traffic. I hope Mading ends up like a Coppenrath or Pittsnogle. Deadly shooter from deep. Mike Daum.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Is it possible we found our shooter that we have been looking for - and he is 6-11??? His stroke looks smoother than any player we have had in the last several years (except maybe senior year JT)
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

RhodyRamFan69 wrote: 5 years ago Just saw this video on Mading he is incredibly skillful for his size and has a buttery stroke from deep. I would expect him to get solid minutes in 19-20:

20-21 maybe, i wouldn't expect much from him in 19-20. Be careful not to take too much away from highlight videos, they are just that highlights, they don't show the whole picture. You also have no idea the level of competition in the games being captured. Listen to people who have seen him play a few times, it will take time for him to be ready for A10 comp. He was rated in the 300s for a reason, yes kids bust out from those rankings but hardly ever does that happen in their first year in college.
1 x
RhodyRamFan69
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RhodyRamFan69 »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago
RhodyRamFan69 wrote: 5 years ago Just saw this video on Mading he is incredibly skillful for his size and has a buttery stroke from deep. I would expect him to get solid minutes in 19-20:

20-21 maybe, i wouldn't expect much from him in 19-20. Be careful not to take too much away from highlight videos, they are just that highlights, they don't show the whole picture. You also have no idea the level of competition in the games being captured. Listen to people who have seen him play a few times, it will take time for him to be ready for A10 comp. He was rated in the 300s for a reason, yes kids bust out from those rankings but hardly ever does that happen in their first year in college.
I respectfully disagree with this take, how does the level of competition he's playing against impact his 3 point shooting % especially being that he's 6'11"? Also the college basketball rating system is a crock of shit how can anyone rank Makai Ashton Langford as a top 50 recruit nationally, while Ja Morant doesn't even get 2 stars? However I will say I don't anticipate Mading to be able drive to the rack the same way he did in this video against legit D1 players. Honestly would not shock me if he turns out to be the best recruit in 19-20 class, this kid has unlimited potential!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhodyRamFan69 wrote: 5 years ago

I respectfully disagree with this take, how does the level of competition he's playing against impact his 3 point shooting % especially being that he's 6'11"? Also the college basketball rating system is a crock of shit how can anyone rank Makai Ashton Langford as a top 50 recruit nationally, while Ja Morant doesn't even get 2 stars? However I will say I don't anticipate Mading to be able drive to the rack the same way he did in this video against legit D1 players. Honestly would not shock me if he turns out to be the best recruit in 19-20 class, this kid has unlimited potential!
Obi Toppin
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Just watched the video and the kid definitely has some moves. The one thing noticeably missing was defense against him. That's going to be the determining factor in D1.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago Just watched the video and the kid definitely has some moves. The one thing noticeably missing was defense against him. That's going to be the determining factor in D1.

If he can consistently make shots at that height..... we have a weapon. Period.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago Just watched the video and the kid definitely has some moves. The one thing noticeably missing was defense against him. That's going to be the determining factor in D1.
Why we still think highlight videos are an accurate evaluation of talent is beyond me. Three plays cut out of a 40 minute game. I was at a game where he went 1-7 from three against a smaller defender. The one shot he hit is in that video.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

You don't think the level of competition and defensive intensity of the opponent effects how a guy performs in a game? Go shoot at your local Y, then go try and make shots against the URI starting 5, let me know if your make percentage is impacted.
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Why we still think highlight videos are an accurate evaluation of talent is beyond me. Three plays cut out of a 40 minute game. I was at a game where he went 1-7 from three against a smaller defender. The one shot he hit is in that video.
But 83 why does the competition effect performance? :)
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 5 years ago

Obi Toppin
For every 1 Obi there are 5-10 Mike Tertsea’s
2 x