1/16|St. Bonaventure Bonnies|6:00PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Re: 1/16|St. Bonaventure Bonnies|6:00PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by Rhodyram »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago Does anyone have any idea why Cox would take a timeout there after the big dunk?
I remember this and Cox was pissed about the previous possession. Fatts drove the lane and dished to Harris with about 3 seconds left on the shot clock. Instead of putting it up strong( which he really should have), Harris flubbed a pass over to Dowtin who put of a desperation 3 ( may have even been a shot clock violation). Cox went nuts and immediately called a player off the bench to go in for Harris. He wasn't going to wait to get him out.

All in all they played much more disciplined tonight.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

FWIW Here’s how I grade the players performances last night:

Martin A
Russell B+
Langevine B
Dowtin. B-
Harris. C
Omar. C
Preston. C
Thompson D+

Throwing out the +S and - it’s a team GPA of 2.5
1 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

KevanBoyles wrote: 5 years ago FWIW Here’s how I grade the players performances last night:

Martin A
Russell B+
Langevine B
Dowtin. B-
Harris. C
Omar. C
Preston. C
Thompson D+

Agree with all but Russell was a SOLID “A” grade last night. If he plays like that the rest of the season, we are a very dangerous team. His defense was A+, his role in the offense was fantastic. He played his best game of the season.
4 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Mongo wrote: 5 years ago
KevanBoyles wrote: 5 years ago FWIW Here’s how I grade the players performances last night:

Martin A
Russell B+
Langevine B
Dowtin. B-
Harris. C
Omar. C
Preston. C
Thompson D+

Agree with all but Russell was a SOLID “A” grade last night. If he plays like that the rest of the season, we are a very dangerous team. His defense was A+, his role in the offense was fantastic. He played his best game of the season.
I didn’t give him an A because of the four turnovers. Otherwise he had a great game. I could live with an A-
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhodyram wrote: 5 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago Does anyone have any idea why Cox would take a timeout there after the big dunk?
I remember this and Cox was pissed about the previous possession. Fatts drove the lane and dished to Harris with about 3 seconds left on the shot clock. Instead of putting it up strong( which he really should have), Harris flubbed a pass over to Dowtin who put of a desperation 3 ( may have even been a shot clock violation). Cox went nuts and immediately called a player off the bench to go in for Harris. He wasn't going to wait to get him out.

Ok, but then why didn't Cox take the timeout immediately after getting the ball? Why did he wait for us to have a successful possession leading to a big dunk that was getting the crowd excited until he took a timeout to stifle the momentum?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago It’s always amazing to me how much fans fetishize adults “getting in the faces” of and yelling at the teenagers that they coach. Accountability is important, but if you can get there without the histrionics, that’s fine with me, too.
WHAT KIND OF TRAINING?!?!!?

0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

2-2 aint half bad for this club.

I thought the 2 game road swing into a home opener was a tough angle for the youth of our team. Mason also showed up, both team/coaching.

Rhody is really good. They just need a little growth to be able to deal with variables and give their best effort regardless of the circumstances.

I was in the stands at the Mason game asking for Cox to do something/anything. Sometimes not alienating your players is the way to go. Win the next two and we are looking good.
3 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Martin A
Russell B+
Langevine B
Dowtin. B-
Harris. C
Omar. C
Preston. C
Thompson D+

Are these grades based on offense only? or does this also include defense?
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 5 years ago 2-2 aint half bad for this club.

I thought the 2 game road swing into a home opener was a tough angle for the youth of our team. Mason also showed up, both team/coaching.

Rhody is really good. They just need a little growth to be able to deal with variables and give their best effort regardless of the circumstances.

I was in the stands at the Mason game asking for Cox to do something/anything. Sometimes not alienating your players is the way to go. Win the next two and we are looking good.
"Really good" is quite a stretch.

We're 9-7, 2-2 in A10 play, and are consistently inconsistent game by game.

We're the definition of an average team.
2 x
Go Rhody
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Perhaps letting the team embarrass themselves completely was his strategy?

I’ve learned never to underestimate a smart basketball man.

Time will tell, but that was a pretty solid game last night vs an extremely well coached (albeit somewhat depleted) team.

Looking forward to seeing how we do vs the “Richmond Rams”
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

let's hope consistency going forward w/ freshmen progressing (that includes you JH)

i am hoping for maximum effort and great body language from both players and coach

We play hard, we play w/ desperation.. we will win our fair share of games

give me that and give me hope form the freshman and that wil be a good result (for me) going forward

really puzzled by JH tho.. and hoping things turn around
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

........for me, moving on after great win, really needed that as confidence builder, ready for At LaSalle.......Team Rankings gives us 67% to win.......sounds a bit low to me......must be the weird home court......no steps back here......Go Rhody......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 5 years ago
Why do people keep harping on this. He played pretty good defense, looked for offense more than the last few games, and made some good passes like the one to a cutting Cyril.

Just chill and let the kid learn and grow.
5 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I think Harris just needs to get a little stronger to. He is still getting pushed around down low at times. He'll be fine. I keep thinking back to Hassan freshman year and how much he changed once he got older and stronger.
3 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

My freshman expectations in order of early success.

Harris, Tate, Martin.

Reality

Martin, Tate, Harris.
2 x
GO RAMS
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I haven't finished watching the game. I watched the first half starting around 9:30, and hope to watch the 2nd half tonight. Did anyone hear the announcers mention that Cox and Hurley spoke the day before the game? Apparently (according to the announcers), Hurley heard about Cox' comments after the GM game and decided to give him a ring.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Martin A
Russell B+
Langevine B
Dowtin. B-
Harris. C
Omar. C
Preston. C
Thompson D+

What about DTJ? I give his second 3 an A++++!
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

adam914 wrote: 5 years ago I think Harris just needs to get a little stronger to. He is still getting pushed around down low at times. He'll be fine. I keep thinking back to Hassan freshman year and how much he changed once he got older and stronger.

Exactly! Hes kinda a stick.
I think hes pretty strong for his lack of muscle, I was right under the basket and watched him against Richmond he held his own down low pretty okay, but he had to give it everything he had.
Just needs some more strength.

He could probably make up for it better with his athleticism if he wasnt hurt right now.

Hes getting after it though, not worried about him.
0 x
Rhodekill
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhodekill »

is there any way to watch a replay of the game....I was not able to record it....
0 x
"What happens next is going to be big and it's going to be beautiful "
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

rhodysurf wrote: 5 years ago
ElmCityRhody wrote: 5 years ago
Why do people keep harping on this. He played pretty good defense, looked for offense more than the last few games, and made some good passes like the one to a cutting Cyril.

Just chill and let the kid learn and grow.
You are probably right and he will get better for sure, but the reason everyone including myself are concerned about him is that he is a potential difference maker and top 100 recruit. He had major offers and it was like a winning lottery ticket when he committed to URI. If he can get up to his potential for next years team it could be the difference between making the tourney and not. There is always that fear of Jordan Hare, which no part of me believes he will be. I think by the end of the year he will having more games similar to the Brown game.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

steviep123 wrote: 5 years ago I haven't finished watching the game. I watched the first half starting around 9:30, and hope to watch the 2nd half tonight. Did anyone hear the announcers mention that Cox and Hurley spoke the day before the game? Apparently (according to the announcers), Hurley heard about Cox' comments after the GM game and decided to give him a ring.
Yeah I heard this as well. Exactly as you described, Cox said that Hurley saw his quotes the other day and decided it was time they chat. Sounded like it was all in good fun, like he thought Cox needed to vent a little.
3 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago

Ok, but then why didn't Cox take the timeout immediately after getting the ball? Why did he wait for us to have a successful possession leading to a big dunk that was getting the crowd excited until he took a timeout to stifle the momentum?
Cox called two quick timeouts after plays. One when Bonnies scored and D had lasped on the play (he lit into them). The other was after Rhody scored. On that one I think he called it because Bonnies had 2 guys that never came upcourt and were going to get a breakaway. It was near the end of the half and use lose the time out any way.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Sea you are a glass 3/4 full guy :)
The jury is out on this team in the A10. They have beat two teams near the bottom of the league and lost to two teams at the top of the league. The offense struggles to create open shots. Coach Cox is now demanding tough defense all the time. Hopefully he gets it from the players. They need that to help thru the difficult offensive stretches. Tough D was a staple during the Hurley years.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago

Cox called two quick timeouts after plays. One when Bonnies scored and D had lasped on the play (he lit into them). The other was after Rhody scored. On that one I think he called it because Bonnies had 2 guys that never came upcourt and were going to get a breakaway. It was near the end of the half and use lose the time out any way.
The one I'm talking about came after a Rhody dunk with about 16:30 to go in the second half, so right before a media timeout was already coming
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I looked at the play-by-play details. I don’t have other games to compare this to but here is the summary. A stat that coaches focus on is points per possession. URI had 75 points in 69 possessions = 1.09 points/possession. Prior to SBU fouling on every possession at the end, URI had 63 points on 61 possessions.

First half - 32 posessions & scored on 15 of them. 6 turnovers
Second half- 37 possessions & scored on 18 of them. 10 turnovers

Turnover review:
16 turnovers 69 possessions (23%)
16 turnovers on 37 possessions where they didn’t score (43%)

The 26 FTA and 20 makes helped significantly as did the improved 3PG %.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

ramster wrote: 5 years ago

Martin A
Russell B+
Langevine B
Dowtin. B-
Harris. C
Omar. C
Preston. C
Thompson D+

Are these grades based on offense only? or does this also include defense?
My overall, subjective impressions.
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Rhodekill wrote: 5 years ago is there any way to watch a replay of the game....I was not able to record it....
I have it recorded but unfortunately no time to rip it in the short term.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago I looked at the play-by-play details. I don’t have other games to compare this to but here is the summary. A stat that coaches focus on is points per possession. URI had 75 points in 69 possessions = 1.09 points/possession.
Rhody has topped 1.09 points per possession just 3 times this year:

Bryant (1.24)
Richmond (1.16)
Holy Cross (1.16)
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago It’s always amazing to me how much fans fetishize adults “getting in the faces” of and yelling at the teenagers that they coach. Accountability is important, but if you can get there without the histrionics, that’s fine with me, too.
You’ll see in about 12 years
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

The jury is out on this team in the A10. They have beat two teams near the bottom of the league and lost to two teams at the top of the league. The offense struggles to create open shots. Coach Cox is now demanding tough defense all the time. Hopefully he gets it from the players. They need that to help thru the difficult offensive stretches. Tough D was a staple during the Hurley years.
Not sure there's a lot of space between the top and bottom of the league, is there?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I'd gladly take 2-3 TOs a night from Fatts if its because he is playing aggressively and trying to create and loses it...I think that is infinitely better than a 4-5 really really bad shots from him with 4 people standing around taking Polaroids. Fatts is always going to have a quick pace to his play and is an adept passer, at times that will cause him to make some bad decisions or try to make a spectacular pass. I'll gladly take that if the rest of his game is as efficient as it was last night. Pick your poison.
4 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Yeah, Bar , have to agree and especially if Fatts can be as efficient with his shots (6-9 ) as he was against the Bonnies . there aren't a
lot of better options on the bench to get you 18 points , and this team needs scoring.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I don’t expect 6-9 every night from Fatts, but he really should be looking at taking 8 to 12 shots a night. If he does that it means the ball is being spread around some more to guys like Martin who are starting to show their potential
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Just to give another look into Rhody’s performance this year. After Mason dominated Rhody they went on to Amherst. They beat UMass in a relatively close game (up 4 with 5 minutes left & up 3 with 1 minute left). UMass sucks. They are 7-10 (1-4) and have lost 6 out of their last 7. How can Mason beat Rhody by 17 points in Kingston and lead by double digits for most of the last 25 minutes. There could be more of these games to come unless Rhody becomes a top defensive team.
0 x
URIFIJI
Kenny Green

Unread post by URIFIJI »

GMason took us to the shed because they made their shots:

17-18 from FT Line (That's 7 better than us)

7-17 from 3 point Land (41%) - thats an additional 12 points and we took 8 more 3's than them

We just played terrible - took too many 3's and didn't defend to our standard
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 years ago

Not sure there's a lot of space between the top and bottom of the league, is there?
I would like to see Rhody beat some of the following teams - SLU, VCU, Davidson, Dayton. They don’t play Mason again.
1 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Slightly off topic, but I wonder why the Ramettes got moved to the last row of student section 101. I’m guessing it has to do with not blocking the view of paying customers, but I think someone in authority should do something to get the spirit squad as close to the floor as possible. It looked a bit silly to me having them behind the students. You almost couldn’t tell they were there.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

JimSidd wrote: 5 years ago Slightly off topic, but I wonder why the Ramettes got moved to the last row of student section 101. I’m guessing it has to do with not blocking the view of paying customers, but I think someone in authority should do something to get the spirit squad as close to the floor as possible. It looked a bit silly to me having them behind the students. You almost couldn’t tell they were there.
The Ramettes usual seats are at the same level behind the other basket (opposite the bsnd). They aren’t on the floor. The cheerleaders are on the floor.
0 x