1/16|St. Bonaventure Bonnies|6:00PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
spookydog
Tom Garrick

1/16|St. Bonaventure Bonnies|6:00PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by spookydog »

University of Rhode Island vs St. Bonaventure
The Ryan Center, Kingston, RI.
Wednesday, January 16 , 2019
6:00PM

Media

Stream: CBSSN

Radio: 101.5 AM

Previews:

Opponent

Record:
6-10, 2-1 in the A10
Last season: 26-8 ,14-4 in the A10

Rankings:
RPI: 249 (current 2019)
KenPom: 159
NCAA NET: 184

Leaders (Current):
Points - Courtney Stockard, 15.5 (Sr., F)
Rebounds - Osun Osunniyi , 6.i (Fr., F)
Assists - Kyle Lofton, 4.1 (Fr., G) (2.1 TO per game)

Historical
Series: 38-29
H: 22-8, A: 14-19, N: 2-2
1 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Re: 1/16|St. Bonaventure Bonnies|6:00PM (CBSSN)

Hope I got all of this right. Couldn't believe it was the day of a game & wasn't up yet.
2 x
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Reminder: There are 10$ "be a student" tickets available for this game.
0 x
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I have no idea what to expect from this team as anything seems possible. Given the up and down nature of this season, a win might be in the cards as it would follow form right after a loss. URI has basically had the opposite outcome after every game this season save once (WVU win after beating Holy Cross). They are truly a model for inconsistency.

W Bryant
L @ Charleston
W Harvard
L Stony Brook
W Brown
L @ PC
W @ Holy Cross
W vs WVU
L vs Bucknell
W vs Charlotte
L @ Hawaii
W Mid Tenn St
L @ SLU
W @ Richmond
L GMU
Last edited by RF1 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

6 PM start time is roughhhhh cant imagine it will be packed
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Other than the 2 consecutive wins vs. HC and WVU, they have not had consecutive wins or loses...hopefully that won't come true tonight and we get a win, then start a winning streak...but it seems we are trending to a .500 season.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Thanks Spook!
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Free scarf for first 1000 fans! Thats about the only thing I can predict with tonight.
0 x
GO RAMS
spookydog
Tom Garrick

I'll be going by w/my kids.

2 x
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago Free scarf for first 1000 fans! Thats about the only thing I can predict with tonight.
I'm glad it looks different than the Rhody scarf I already have. :lol:
0 x
Rirams95
Jim Eitner

Unread post by Rirams95 »

The Bonnies don't have any extreme rankings according to Kenpom. Their offense is mediocre (240 out of 350) across the board, but they don't have a super glaring weakness, like our 3 point shooting. They play slow, way down at the bottom in pace.

They depend more on their defense, which is ranked 87, as do we, URI is at 57.

So this might be an offensively challenged game.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Taylor Swift wrote: 5 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago Free scarf for first 1000 fans! Thats about the only thing I can predict with tonight.

0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

6pm weekday starts suck. Missing this game but happy to give my ticket to Rhody Guy.
5 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago
Taylor Swift wrote: 5 years ago

I have the Adidas one that says "Rhode Island" on one side, and "Rams" on the other with "RI" logos on the bottom of each side with kind of a striped background.
0 x
sandman012
Steve Chubin

Unread post by sandman012 »

rhodysurf wrote: 5 years ago 6 PM start time is roughhhhh cant imagine it will be packed
actually better for folks like me with kids, no need to get a sitter, can take kids along and have them to bed at reasonable hour.

see ya there!
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Let's get a W!

Share the ball and DEFEND!
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Maybe Rhody wins tonight!
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I am extremely curious about whether we see Fatts or CT in the starting lineup tonight.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I wonder if Fatts has the same starting lineup protections as Jon Clark.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

Blue Man wrote: 5 years ago I am extremely curious about whether we see Fatts or CT in the starting lineup tonight.
Until I see a change in line up or an upper classman pulled from a game for sloppy play, I'll bet the status quo.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Cox by his comments needs to put his money where his mouth is.

CT and Fatts have played themselves out of the starting lineup. That needs to happen.

And whoever's in there, if they get hot, leave them in there!
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

CT just played lousy IMO.

Russell had multiple plays that would have resulted in my benching him. One in particular was right in front of Cox, Russell in middle of floor with Dowtin 30’ ahead streaking down the left wing expecting to receive the ball for an easy layup. Russell instead kept the ball and drove into traffic.

I like Fatts actually myself but that was worthy of a time out call and a trip to the end of the bench....my entire row of fans went nuts.

In my opinion Fatts needs to start but the leash has to be short. We are at our best when Russell is in the game, his speed cannot be defended. If Cox decides to bench him tho I would understand but the time to send the message was during the game.

Like BlueMan I’m super curious how he will be handled tonight. No way Thompson has retained his spot after the performance against Mason.
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

hrstrat57 wrote: 5 years ago CT just played lousy IMO.

Russell had multiple plays that would have resulted in my benching him. One in particular was right in front of Cox, Russell in middle of floor with Dowtin 30’ ahead streaking down the left wing expecting to receive the ball for an easy layup. Russell instead kept the ball and drove into traffic.

I like Fatts actually myself but that was worthy of a time out call and a trip to the end of the bench....my entire row of fans went nuts.

In my opinion Fatts needs to start but the leash has to be short. We are at our best when Russell is in the game, his speed cannot be defended. If Cox decides to bench him tho I would understand but the time to send the message was during the game.

Like BlueMan I’m super curious how he will be handled tonight. No way Thompson has retained his spot after the performance against Mason.
Agree with this..... Fatts should not be replaced in the starting lineup, or have his minutes reduced. He needs to be on the floor playing to his strengths and not bombing up 3's. He's tough to guard in open space and has shown great scoring ability within the 3 point arc. There is no other non starter on this roster who I'd rather see getting his minutes. Not the same for Thompson where Tyrese clearly gives everything and more than CT. I never thought CT was going to be a great offensive player, was hoping he'd be more or what Stan gave last year, he's disappointed on both ends of the floor and gives no leadership from what I've seen. Always thought that CT would be the player who could have made a real difference on this years team, hasn't happened so far.
3 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Yeah Fatts just needs to play smart. Doesnt have to come off the bench.

However Omar Silverio needs to come off the bench.
2 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

I think we need to stop taking threes if we can’t hit two out of the first anyone have.

last game we were three of 25. There is no way we should be taking 25 threes if we only get them at a 12% rate.

By putting a stop measure on the threes he will force us to take higher percentage shots.

Obviously there may be some three point opportunities you just have to take but until we can prove that we can shoot them at least 33% we shouldn’t be looking for them.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

I think we need to stop taking threes if we can’t hit two out of the first six in any one half.

Last game we were three of 25. There is no way we should be taking 25 threes if we only get them at a 12% rate.

By putting a stop measure on the threes it will force us to take higher percentage shots. We shot 60% on twos against George Mason. Granted if we take more our percentage will be lower but it has to be better than 12%.

Obviously there will be some three point opportunities you just have to take but until we can prove that we can shoot them at least 33% we shouldn’t be looking for them.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Shinze88 wrote: 5 years ago

Agree with this..... Fatts should not be replaced in the starting lineup, or have his minutes reduced. He needs to be on the floor playing to his strengths and not bombing up 3's. He's tough to guard in open space and has shown great scoring ability within the 3 point arc. There is no other non starter on this roster who I'd rather see getting his minutes. Not the same for Thompson where Tyrese clearly gives everything and more than CT. I never thought CT was going to be a great offensive player, was hoping he'd be more or what Stan gave last year, he's disappointed on both ends of the floor and gives no leadership from what I've seen. Always thought that CT would be the player who could have made a real difference on this years team, hasn't happened so far.
I think CT will surprise people if given the right role on this team. He is a perfect 6th man. Bring a ton of energy of the bench in short bursts. He is an 18 min/game guy (whether by injury or just who he is) and there is nothing wrong with that!
2 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

If I’m Cox I’m starting Martin over Thompson, it’s just time.

As for Fatts, I’m still rolling with him in the starting 5. But if he comes out and starts jacking contested prayers I would pull him immediately for an extended period and see how the kids respond.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodylaw wrote: 5 years ago
Shinze88 wrote: 5 years ago

I think CT will surprise people if given the right role on this team. He is a perfect 6th man. Bring a ton of energy of the bench in short bursts. He is an 18 min/game guy (whether by injury or just who he is) and there is nothing wrong with that!
I don't think so. Beginning of the season I wanted Martin in the starting line up instead of Thompson. This was before the first game. I had seen Martin play before and knew his talent and skills.
Now it is clearly obvious to most everyone on this board(not all yet I don't think) that Martin should be starting instead of Thompson. To date it has not been obvious to Cox and Staff which is clearly a mystery.
- Going into this season we needed Thompson to be a strong 3 point shooter. He is 18-70 for only 25.7%. This is 2nd worst in the A10 - of all 14 teams.
- Russell is last in the A10 17-96 for only 17.7%. So here we have the two guys who have taken the most 3 point shots on this years team ranking in the bottom 2 in the conference.

You can wait still longer for these two guys to break out of their slumps - but maybe they are not in slumps. It is what it is now 15 games and a mediocre 8-7 overall record.

Part of the reason for the poor 3 point percentages IMHO:
- taking 3 point shots with the defense too close for a good look
- not getting a pass in a good location for the shooter to release with a good rhythm
- shooting off balance falling away or to the side - simply bad form and bad release
- not practicing enough outside of the normal practice schedule, before games or after games
- not passing the ball crisply and unselfishly

Dowtin set up Terrell, Mathews, Robinson and to some extent even Thompson and Fatts last year with good passes, sometimes from driving the lane and dishing off and sometimes with excellent, quick ball rotation and also with no-look passes. Terrell, Robinson and Mathews could receive the pass and in a good rhythm release the shot. I give a lot of credit to Dowtin's passing. Not seeing the same thing this year. Too much dribbling and not the quick passing to find the open man for the 3.

Hopefully we see improvement soon and surprise the world by winning the A10 Tournament. Anything is possible.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Starting Lineup Change with Martin instead of Thompson:

1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Player to watch for St Bonaventure tonight is Osun Osunniyi who was the A10 Rookie of the Week named this Monday
Osun is 6'10" with a huge wingspan. I am guessing Harris will have this assignment tonight.
Osun entered the starting line up two games ago and his play is downright scary for URI
Against St Joe where Bonnies clobbered them 73-47 Osun started, played 30 minutes. 5-8 FG, 10 points, 12 rebounds with 3 offensive, 2 assists, 1 steal, 0 turnovers
Last game against Fordham was a 71-64 win. Osun again started, played 32 minutes, 6-8 FG, 4-4 FTs, 16 points, 12 rebounds with 6 offensive!!!!, 3 assists, 3 blocks, 2 turnovers, 2 fouls

This guy is a future A10 star in the making. Great pick up by the Bonnies from Putnam Science Academy.

Osun's teammate at Putnam Science, Freshman Guard Kyle Lofton, has started every game for the Bonnies this year. His last 12 games he has played 38,40,40,38,36,36,50,35,39,40,39,40 minutes - amazing minutes for a Freshman. 29.3% on 3FG and 82.7% on FT for 13.7 ppg and 4.1 assists per game

Containing Lofton and Osunniyi will be keys to victory tonight.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Jeff mini spot video kicking off the broadcast on CBSSN

Nice
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Right on Coach!!! Let's have a great game!!!!
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago Starting Lineup Change with Martin instead of Thompson:

.......that is a good start......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Right move in the lineup. Lets see how it goes.
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

4 points in 5 minutes ain't gonna do it, folks. :cry:
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Defense has been better so far. We just might only score 12 points.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

At least they seem to be playing with more energy, Martin got the start, JD at the point, and Fatts isn’t chucking up threes.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Thompson is a liability. Gives up a three immediately, now offensive foul
1 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

It seems that both Fatts and Thompson have been told to lay off the threes.
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Fatts has passed up several 3s, just hit his first and has 7 of our 11 points. :)
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Fatts very good so far
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Having his best game and bench him. Brilliant
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

All 3 Freshmen on the court now. Nice.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

I spoke too early. Thompson just threw up a brick.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

We are taking good shots!!! They just aren’t falling!!!!
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Someone needs to work with Jermaine on handling the ball inside. Too many bobbles.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Despite the fact that Harris has missed two threes, I like the fact that he’s taking them. They seem to be allowing him to roam further from the basket and use his proven ability.
Last edited by KevanBoyles 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

UCH21377 wrote: 5 years ago Having his best game and bench him. Brilliant
Fatts went down the tunnel quickly with a trainer and came right back at the timeout
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

4 Freshmen on the court now. We're seeing the future!
0 x