Patience with Freshmen

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Patience with Freshmen

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Discussion on Jermaine Harris was running on under the Richmond game thread.
I had posted stats on the first 14 games Fr year for Jeff and Cyrul. Here are some more examples:

Hassan Martin first 15 games Fr year - 3.9 ppg, 4.1 rebs
Kris Dunn played 27 mins/game his Fr year and avg 5.7 ppg, 3.2 Ast & 1.9 TOs.
David Duke is struggling at PC with 2.8 Ast to 2.4 TOs. Cooley sat him the last 20+ minutes yesterday
Brendan Adams is riding the bench for UCONN

Jermaine first 14 games - 5.1 ppg, 3.6 rebs

Also mentioned was that Harris missed a lot of preseason practice with an injury and is playing injured now.
7 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Re: Patience with Freshmen

Unread post by PeteRI »

Great thread. I do think JH is hurt and may be like Cyril for the first half of last season.

Since this is about our freshMEN, somebody smarter than me please post stats for our new Batman and Batman, Dana and Tyrese.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......Ok, perhaps I am the poster child of impatience, so be it.......can we hold off on the Batman and Batman for a spell, at least until they are both in the starting line and consistently produce B&B like stats.......no?
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Urifan91
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Urifan91 »

All the hype about us having the best recruiting class in the A10 caused high expectations. I know I was expecting a bigger impact than what I have seen thus far.

Don’t get me wrong I like all 4 of their games and think they can develop into nice players, but I certainly got caught up in the hype and was expecting more.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

It's not the freshmen.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago It's not the freshmen.

That is true. The big disappointments of this season are Thompson and Russell. Far more was expected of them as returning players. They have come up woefully short.
Last edited by RF1 5 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
5 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

But this highlights only one side of it- I agree that poor or inconsistent play early does not doom a player for his career. At the same time, there are plenty of freshmen out there who are contributing.
2 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

Harris played 9 minutes tonight. 9 minutes.... yes he picked up some early fouls. Who cares, he played 2 minutes in the second half and ended the game with only 3 fouls. We had a nice size advantage in the post tonight with Cyril and Harris and we didn’t capitalize on it. Cyril played his ass off and again provided a double double and that’s with him being doubled teamed most of the game. Why not just let Harris play. If he fouls out then he fouls out. What’s the difference at this point. Sitting him isn’t helping and I believe he’s only fouled out of 1 or 2 games all season. I just know we should be getting a lot more production out of Harris. You can see the ability is there. He needs to be coached up. His lack of progression IMO falls on our coaches. He doesn’t get enouph touches to get involved offensively and they never run any plays for him. This is our prize recruit. What are they practicing all week. I would never take him off the court until he fouls out. It’s the only way he is going to get over the hump and we need that to happen soon, especially with are shooting woes.
4 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Agree with you about Harris 100% Tom.
Langevine was great tonight. He gave the most effort of any URI Player tonight and never gave up.
36 minutes: 5-10 FG, 14 rebounds with 6 offensive, 2 assists (1 more than our Point Guard who played 35 minutes), 1 steal, 3 blocks, 1 TO (3 less than our Point Guard), 1 foul and 15 points. He put everything he had out there on the floor tonight.

Harris looked good. He needs to be coached to just take the turnaround 6-10 foot shot and not try to barrel into the defender like he did tonight. Harris has a sweet, soft touch that he shows with his team leading 78.1% FT shooting. He ends the game with 3 fouls and only plays 10 minutes. Cox is not playing Harris enough. No set plays are going to Harris. He often starts games off well but then he rides the bench much more time than he should.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Agree Harris needs to play more. Play him until he fouls out
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The title of this thread fits how the Freshmen are playing. I’d go more with the Cooley philosophy of starting 3 freshmen which he started the season with starting Duke, Reeves and Nichols. See what they can and cannot do early on. Make adjustments based on what you see from them.
We need to play all 4 freshmen a lot. Similar now to what Jack Kraft did with Jiggy Williamson, Stan Wright, Randy Wilds.
If the Freshmen fail to meet expectations then some questions get answered this year. No need now to wait or be cautious. Just play them.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

reef wrote: 5 years ago Agree Harris needs to play more. Play him until he fouls out
Maybe DC is saving him, you know, in case...overtime.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago Agree with you about Harris 100% Tom.
Langevine was great tonight. He gave the most effort of any URI Player tonight and never gave up.
36 minutes: 5-10 FG, 14 rebounds with 6 offensive, 2 assists (1 more than our Point Guard who played 35 minutes), 1 steal, 3 blocks, 1 TO (3 less than our Point Guard), 1 foul and 15 points. He put everything he had out there on the floor tonight.
I strongly disagree that Cyril was great last night. He definitely works hard. I was at the game. Stats can be misleading. I knew someone would be complementing the double double. If you have the stomach for it, watch a replay and take notes on two things. The number of times the ball went into the post to Cyril and how many points Rhody got (then divide points by possessions). The second is count how many of Cyril’s offensive rebounds were from him missing from two feet. In the first half he was 1-5 FTs. He played good D in the first half but not the second half. Mason had a lot of layups. The 6’7” white kid had 8 points & 7 rebounds in 17 minutes (mostly in 2nd half). There is no way Cyril only had 1 turnover (stats are wrong). He holds the ball too long especially when the double team comes. No one on URI played great last night.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago
I strongly disagree that Cyril was great last night. He definitely works hard. I was at the game. Stats can be misleading. I knew someone would be complementing the double double. If you have the stomach for it, watch a replay and take notes on two things. The number of times the ball went into the post to Cyril and how many points Rhody got (then divide points by possessions). The second is count how many of Cyril’s offensive rebounds were from him missing from two feet. In the first half he was 1-5 FTs. He played good D in the first half but not the second half. Mason had a lot of layups. The 6’7” white kid had 8 points & 7 rebounds in 17 minutes (mostly in 2nd half). There is no way Cyril only had 1 turnover (stats are wrong). He holds the ball too long especially when the double team comes. No one on URI played great last night.
Agree to disagree. His effort was beyond that of most every other player. Without Langevine we lose by 30+
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

His effort is great, the results sometimes are not. He's just not a polished offensive player like JH will be someday.

And with Harris struggling right now, you are right....we are blown out without him.

Imagine if Jeff misses time? Scary.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Not disagreeing on the effort. He loses the ball down low about 50% of the time. His FT shooting has become a liability. His misses from one foot away and is fouled. Then he hits 1-2 FTs. His best offense is when he gets passed the ball by a G penetrating or an offensive rebound. That was a weak front court that Mason had due to injuries and he struggled when he posted up. He does a great job rebounding and on defense (but not the 2nd half last nght).
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Straight from the man himself. No more excuses. Freshman are no longer freshman.

0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

boys ------------> Men. Great quote by Cox.
0 x
GO RAMS
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago
Agree to disagree. His effort was beyond that of most every other player. Without Langevine we lose by 30+
100% with Ramster on this. He showed Rhody pride all night. I’m extremely impressed by the progress Langevine has made - I expect he will step up and demand more from his teammates.

As I said in other threads the talent level on this team IMHO is high. It’s time to get to work.

Go Rhody.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Playing hard and playing great are two different things. Cyril’s effort is great. His offensive skill is not.
1 x
TheGhostOfDH
Abdul Fox

Unread post by TheGhostOfDH »

I cringe when Cyril puts the ball on the floor in traffic. His first move is telegraphed and it either draws a quick collapse (ball on the floor) or dozens of arms up (turn and shoot). His offensive moves aeem almost choreographed, but I like how far he has come. I think we could have picked apart GM had we driven the ball down low and took advantage of the size and strength of Cyril, Jermaine and Dana.

Several commentators have mentioned the defensive intensity. Would like to see some 2016-2017 D tomorrow!!
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Tom98 wrote: 5 years ago Harris played 9 minutes tonight. 9 minutes.... yes he picked up some early fouls. Who cares, he played 2 minutes in the second half and ended the game with only 3 fouls. We had a nice size advantage in the post tonight with Cyril and Harris and we didn’t capitalize on it. Cyril played his ass off and again provided a double double and that’s with him being doubled teamed most of the game. Why not just let Harris play. If he fouls out then he fouls out. What’s the difference at this point. Sitting him isn’t helping and I believe he’s only fouled out of 1 or 2 games all season. I just know we should be getting a lot more production out of Harris. You can see the ability is there. He needs to be coached up. His lack of progression IMO falls on our coaches. He doesn’t get enouph touches to get involved offensively and they never run any plays for him. This is our prize recruit. What are they practicing all week. I would never take him off the court until he fouls out. It’s the only way he is going to get over the hump and we need that to happen soon, especially with are shooting woes.
EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

TJ Buchannen and Stan Robinson had more floor burns in one game than we have had the entire season

Does anyone remember the last offensive charge we took?

Says a lot
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

McRam wrote: 5 years ago TJ Buchannen and Stan Robinson had more floor burns in one game than we have had the entire season

Says a lot
Thompson is nowhere the defensive player of Stan or TJ. He can play well but he is slow. He gets beat down the lane.
He also doesn’t rebound like they did. Not a great jumper.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

McRam wrote: 5 years ago TJ Buchannen and Stan Robinson had more floor burns in one game than we have had the entire season

Says a lot
Thompson is nowhere the defensive player of Stan or TJ. He can play well but he is slow. He gets beat down the lane.
He also doesn’t rebound like they did. Not a great jumper.
This is exactly why I don’t understand why Silverio doesn’t play more, it’s not like Thompson is lighting it up out there.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

ace wrote: 5 years ago But this highlights only one side of it- I agree that poor or inconsistent play early does not doom a player for his career. At the same time, there are plenty of freshmen out there who are contributing.
I would say URI's freshmen are contributing, not just consistently.
2 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Our returning talent on an overall basis is overrated...there I said it.

Cyril tries his best and he's certainly no disappointment, just that he has his limitations.

Jeff is an excellent PG both on offense and defense, but he's in a position where he has to try to do too much.

CT is a role player and no more. He plays hard when he feels like it....not the shooter that was supposed to be, and slow on defense.

Fatts has talent, but it's being wasted...he's not a shooter either, but he tries to be and fails. He also does not have a high BB IQ as a point guard.

So we are what we are. Play well at times, and suck way too often.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

adam914 wrote: 5 years ago Straight from the man himself. No more excuses. Freshman are no longer freshman.

Yeah except I don’t think anyone is blaming or could blame the freshman.

The blame seems pretty consistent, if it’s in general; shooting, lineups, offensive play calling, effort - which is a lot on the coach.

If it’s specific to the player level; fatts and CT are woefully underperforming to the point where they have cost us games by themselves, and by the coach refusing to reign them in, has made it worse.

Calling out the freshmen here is totally disingenuous. Harris got 9 minutes, silverio got 6, and Tate was thrown in out of position at the 4.

I’m pretty sure we’d have all loved to see nothing but Jeff, Cyril, and freshmen after the first 10 minutes.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote: 5 years ago
adam914 wrote: 5 years ago Straight from the man himself. No more excuses. Freshman are no longer freshman.

The blame seems pretty consistent, if it’s in general; shooting, lineups, offensive play calling, effort - which is a lot on the coach.

If it’s specific to the player level; fatts and CT are woefully underperforming to the point where they have cost us games by themselves, and by the coach refusing to reign them in, has made it worse.

Calling out the freshmen here is totally disingenuous. Harris got 9 minutes, silverio got 6, and Tate was thrown in out of position at the 4.

I’m pretty sure we’d have all loved to see nothing but Jeff, Cyril, and freshmen after the first 10 minutes.
Very well said Blue Man.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Cox can't just talk a good game he needs to make the changes if guys aren't performing take them out and put someone else in
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Iggy1979 wrote: 5 years ago
ace wrote: 5 years ago But this highlights only one side of it- I agree that poor or inconsistent play early does not doom a player for his career. At the same time, there are plenty of freshmen out there who are contributing.
I would say URI's freshmen are contributing, not just consistently.
I would agree. Woukd adding “in a more consistent and positively impactful manner” in response to the original post and its specifically chosen examples make my point more clear?
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Need to see more fire out of everyone not named Jeff or Cyril - (maybe a little less fire from Fatts) - it’s that simple. It looks like the have the talent, but talent alone does not win at this level. They need to play with energy and passion every game. It took DH breaking the chair at Brown before that squad really got that message. It is in the coach to get them going.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I agree, I wouldnt put much blame on the freshman either. But I do hope that by his comments he means he is going to take the training wheels off a little so to speak and let those guys play more. If the starters/upperclassmen aren't doing their jobs, then give the young guys more run. I am hoping thats what Cox means with his comments.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

adam914 wrote: 5 years ago

I agree, I wouldnt put much blame on the freshman either. But I do hope that by his comments he means he is going to take the training wheels off a little so to speak and let those guys play more. If the starters/upperclassmen aren't doing their jobs, then give the young guys more run. I am hoping thats what Cox means with his comments.
When you put that context - I guess it could mean that he's saying he'll run them more minutes and in high level situations. Hopefully that's what he means.

I am not in the camp of saying for Fatts or Thompson to transfer or that we'd be better without them - I am saying that they are both being used improperly.

Both of them are high-impact subs, the kind you see on tournament teams. Fatts is a jolt of energy and can hit big shots, he's proved that. He's a good-great ball handler, and a pest defensively. He's at his best driving and dishing, and he creates so much opportunity when that part of his game is the focus. Too green to be a starting PG but you can see the talent is there. But when you spread him out over 30 minutes there's too much time in there to make poor decisions at a very high rate and volume.

Christion is the same thing in a different way. He can be a calming, veteran presence - but I don't think he does enough things "great" to warrant starting minutes. I certainly don't see him as a liability like some do, but I think he would be a great change of pace if you're starting a freshman and he gets outside of himself or doesn't have it on a given night.

This team will be at it's best when you can get dependable scoring from tate, martin, and harris - and bringing in Fatts, Christion, Omar, and Preston (really wish Akele was still here) to spell them.

This will be a huge night to see what Dave Cox really has, especially after all the talk. I agree that he's a first year coach, but you can't come firing with quotes like that and let them ring hollow. If the starting 5 isn't changed going into tonight, we will have major problems in Kingston.
7 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

We are going to need those changes because I think St Bonaventure isnt all that bad.

Stockard, ladarian Griffin, Poyser, Lofton and a couple guys over 6'10.

Schmidt is a good coach.

It wont be easy.

We have to step up.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

adam914 wrote: 5 years ago I agree, I wouldnt put much blame on the freshman either. But I do hope that by his comments he means he is going to take the training wheels off a little so to speak and let those guys play more. If the starters/upperclassmen aren't doing their jobs, then give the young guys more run. I am hoping thats what Cox means with his comments.
When you put that context - I guess it could mean that he's saying he'll run them more minutes and in high level situations. Hopefully that's what he means.

I am not in the camp of saying for Fatts or Thompson to transfer or that we'd be better without them - I am saying that they are both being used improperly.

Both of them are high-impact subs, the kind you see on tournament teams. Fatts is a jolt of energy and can hit big shots, he's proved that. He's a good-great ball handler, and a pest defensively. He's at his best driving and dishing, and he creates so much opportunity when that part of his game is the focus. Too green to be a starting PG but you can see the talent is there. But when you spread him out over 30 minutes there's too much time in there to make poor decisions at a very high rate and volume.

Christion is the same thing in a different way. He can be a calming, veteran presence - but I don't think he does enough things "great" to warrant starting minutes. I certainly don't see him as a liability like some do, but I think he would be a great change of pace if you're starting a freshman and he gets outside of himself or doesn't have it on a given night.

This team will be at it's best when you can get dependable scoring from tate, martin, and harris - and bringing in Fatts, Christion, Omar, and Preston (really wish Akele was still here) to spell them.

This will be a huge night to see what Dave Cox really has, especially after all the talk. I agree that he's a first year coach, but you can't come firing with quotes like that and let them ring hollow. If the starting 5 isn't changed going into tonight, we will have major problems in Kingston.
Right, I don't think Cox can have it both ways at this point. You can't make comments like "no excuses", "freshman are no longer freshman" and "I need to find 5-7 guys who want to play hard" and then do nothing about it. If freshman are no longer freshman, then let them play like they are no longer freshman. Again, assuming the status quo isn't working, which it clearly isn't right now.

I'm still on the fence about whether Fatts should come off the bench or not, because I still want to believe he is really really good and just in some kind of incredible slump right now for reasons I can't begin to explain. But I see no reason at all why Tyrese or Dana shouldn't be starting for Thompson tonight. And Harris needs to get big minutes if he can keep himself out of foul trouble (big if).
2 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

adam914 wrote: 5 years ago

Solid analysis BM.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

In thinking about this more today - what if we just need a primary scoring option that isn't Fatts, for Fatts to be at his best?

Everyone is right, that this team is better when Fatts is on the floor; he spaces the defense out, creates a lot of offense off the bounce, and his on-ball defense is most definitely plus, if not top of the conference.

His shooting is the killer, and it's obvious that a lot of that is mental, not mechanical.

Is he the kind of guy who needs a batman to his robin, just for a mental jolt? So he doesn't need to feel like he has to score (or take) 20 shots a night?

To tie this back to the topic at hand, I would love to see Martin or Tate in at the 3 tonight, since they've shown the most consistent scoring touch over the past 4 or 5 games.

Hopefully an emerging scoring presence may ease Fatts' mind a bit and get him back to staying in his lane and producing as the game comes to him, instead of forcing it.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Blue Man wrote: 5 years ago In thinking about this more today - what if we just need a primary scoring option that isn't Fatts, for Fatts to be at his best?

Everyone is right, that this team is better when Fatts is on the floor; he spaces the defense out, creates a lot of offense off the bounce, and his on-ball defense is most definitely plus, if not top of the conference.

His shooting is the killer, and it's obvious that a lot of that is mental, not mechanical.

Is he the kind of guy who needs a batman to his robin, just for a mental jolt? So he doesn't need to feel like he has to score (or take) 20 shots a night?

To tie this back to the topic at hand, I would love to see Martin or Tate in at the 3 tonight, since they've shown the most consistent scoring touch over the past 4 or 5 games.

Hopefully an emerging scoring presence may ease Fatts' mind a bit and get him back to staying in his lane and producing as the game comes to him, instead of forcing it.
I think there is definitely something to that. Last year I feel like Hurley was able to throw Fatts in there and kind of see if he had it for the night or not and adjust from there. I think most would agree Fatts is a streaky kind of scorer, even when at his best, so being able to have the luxury to put him in there (starting or not) and kind of get a feel for if he is hot or not and then if not just defer to guys like Jarvis, Stan, EC, etc. if needed was huge. So far this season there hasn't been the other guy(s) to rely on. That's where the freshman come in.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Also, everyone has to remember that Martin did a 13th year at Massanutten (one of the leading programs in the country). The other three came directly from high school. That would seem to explain his quicker advancement.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

KevanBoyles wrote: 5 years ago Also, everyone has to remember that Martin did a 13th year at Massanutten (one of the leading programs in the country). The other three came directly from high school. That would seem to explain his quicker advancement.
Dana Tate played prep school for MacDuffie (not high school).
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Umm, seems to me there is a YOOOG Gap in this thread - specifically how great a move Coach Cox made to start Tyrese instead of CT. And how fantastic Ty and Dana have been. Now we just need to get Jermaine going and our Freshmen will look very good indeed. :)
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

KevanBoyles wrote: 5 years ago Also, everyone has to remember that Martin did a 13th year at Massanutten (one of the leading programs in the country). The other three came directly from high school. That would seem to explain his quicker advancement.
Dana Tate played prep school for MacDuffie (not high school).
I stand corrected. However, I think the point remains the same. That extra year means a lot in terms of being ready to play college basketball.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I talked with Dan Hurley this week at the Hoop Hall Classic. Regarding Jermaine, Dan said that they knew Jermaine needed more development than the others (Martin & Tate). He said Jermaine will be very good. That he had lower level experience in high school but there aren’t many bigs in the A10 with his athletic skill and size.
6 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Our big 3 freshmen are averaging 16 points and 11 rebounds per game. Not bad considering it took them all a bit of time to adjust and find their footing. If just Harris picks up his production that should end up around 20 points and 13-14 rebounds per game when all is said and done, which would be a very sizable contribution for first year guys. These stats do not include Omar since I don't expect he will get long stretches of run this season.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago Our big 3 freshmen are averaging 16 points and 11 rebounds per game. Not bad considering it took them all a bit of time to adjust and find their footing. If just Harris picks up his production that should end up around 20 points and 13-14 rebounds per game when all is said and done, which would be a very sizable contribution for first year guys. These stats do not include Omar since I don't expect he will get long stretches of run this season.
Stating the math they would have to avg 24.5 points and 16 rebounds the rest of the way to hit those numbers. I assumed 32 games (2 A10 tournament games).
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

As Al McGuire used to say, "the best thing about freshmen is they become sophomores." Gotta let them grow up a little.
2 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago Our big 3 freshmen are averaging 16 points and 11 rebounds per game. Not bad considering it took them all a bit of time to adjust and find their footing. If just Harris picks up his production that should end up around 20 points and 13-14 rebounds per game when all is said and done, which would be a very sizable contribution for first year guys. These stats do not include Omar since I don't expect he will get long stretches of run this season.
Stating the math they would have to avg 24.5 points and 16 rebounds the rest of the way to hit those numbers. I assumed 32 games (2 A10 tournament games).
Ok so maybe that's a little overzealous on my part...feels like production wise there is more to be had from Jermaine, and even Dana. Tyrese is probably producing about as much as can be expected from a FR thus far in A10 play. But a jump that steep is prob not likely, so let me rephrase that to say it would be good to see them around 20 points and 14 rebounds combined for the remainder of A10 play.
2 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago I talked with Dan Hurley this week at the Hoop Hall Classic. Regarding Jermaine, Dan said that they knew Jermaine needed more development than the others (Martin & Tate). He said Jermaine will be very good. That he had lower level experience in high school but there aren’t many bigs in the A10 with his athletic skill and size.
Straight from the horse's mouth! Great inside info there, my friend.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

PeteRI wrote: 5 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago I talked with Dan Hurley this week at the Hoop Hall Classic. Regarding Jermaine, Dan said that they knew Jermaine needed more development than the others (Martin & Tate). He said Jermaine will be very good. That he had lower level experience in high school but there aren’t many bigs in the A10 with his athletic skill and size.
Straight from the horse's mouth! Great inside info there, my friend.
And he could not be higher on Martin. Thinks he will be really, really (all conference level) good.
1 x