1/13|George Mason Patriots|5:30PM (NBCSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Re: 1/13|George Mason Patriots|5:30PM (NBCSN)

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

FATTS STATS - CAREER

FG 33%
FG3% 25%

he is NOT a good shooter
4 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......if he starts Wednesday, he must have a stack of 8x10 glossy photos.......
5 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

If Fatts is a poor shooter, can he become a good one? We do have coaches that might be able to find faults to help him improve. I hope we just don't tell him to go out and "shoot your way out of the slump" or is Fatts too stubborn to listen. Ram rooters are anxious to know.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago
PeteRI wrote: 5 years ago Lots of great posts here. Some obvious mandatory changes for me:

1) NO MORE THOMPSON STARTS. Among his O-for 3's was a particularly egregious sequence where he bricked a 3, we got the offensive rebound, then he BRICKED ANOTHER 3. He shot a perfect 0% from the field with 2 turnovers in 24 minutes.

2) LIMIT FATTS 3-POINT ATTEMPTS. 17.7%. You can put in a Division III kid and he'd do better.

3) NO MORE CODDLING FROM COACH COX. He's their leader, not their friend. I've seen enough of Thompson jogging down the court, weakly throwing a pass right into the hands of an opponent, and throwing up bricks.

I've seen enough Iso plays from Fatts, like he's Kyrie's Kid Brother.

I've seen enough attempts by Cyril to put the ball on the floor instead of going to the basket. (And before you slam me, I LOVE Cyril's passion and determination.)

I've seen enough of Jermaine picking up a fould every 3 minutes. (He should be playing at least 20 minutes a game and scoring a minimum of 10 points.)

These are young men looking to you for guidance and discipline. Time to start providing it!
Pete,
Agree completely on Thompson jogging down the court - in both offense and defense. He also throws soft, lazy passes like the inbounds pass yesterday meant for Harris that was stolen for an easy 2 just 4 minutes into the game. Nothing new on Thompson. Play the Freshmen. Nothing to lose now. Cox gets a free pass his first year so there is no reason to be stoic and conservative. I have no problem with all 4 freshmen in the game at the same time.
and please stop with the fun-time pregame drills as others have mentioned.
I don't get the 'free pass' stuff. i did not get a free pass my first year on the job. :lol: :lol: Did you?
Once I started getting paid, they expected me to do the job.
5 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

On a lighter note, I thought the Peacedale elementary School choir singing the national anthem was one of the sweetest things I've heard or seen in years.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Cox has got to put the hammer down on CT and Fatts when they play like crap. Both on offense and defense.

That's basically most of the problem.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Also Dowtin needs to be the lead guard if he’s on the floor.
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I was unwilling to put my 2 cents in as I wasn't expecting much from this season, but I do think it might be time for a lineup change. My starters:

Dowtin
Martin
Tate
Langevine
Harris

bench (the situation may dictate the order)
Fatts
Thompson
Preston
Silverio
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

And when Fatts come in the game, as long as JD is in there too, JD remains the PG.
2 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

steviep123 wrote: 5 years ago I was unwilling to put my 2 cents in as I wasn't expecting much from this season, but I do think it might be time for a lineup change. My starters:

Dowtin
Martin
Tate
Langevine
Harris

bench (the situation may dictate the order)
Fatts
Thompson
Preston
Silverio

Don't love starting freshman but it is apparent this team is not going anywhere with the current lineup. So I agree throw them to the wolves and let them grow. Not to mention I think it will turn out to be the best starting 5 we can put on the court.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Ugly numbers

In looking through the stats, I was surprised to see that Martin has only taken 15 free throws (and made just 7).
Last edited by ace 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

neil wrote: 5 years ago If Fatts is a poor shooter, can he become a good one? We do have coaches that might be able to find faults to help him improve. I hope we just don't tell him to go out and "shoot your way out of the slump" or is Fatts too stubborn to listen. Ram rooters are anxious to know.

“If” .. let’s not kid ourselves / he IS a horrible shooter

you are what your #s say you are

For starters he can actually set his feet before chucking up 3 pointers - or better yet, limit your 3 pointers

The dude should be (as Walt Clyde Frazier would say .. swishin and dishin

Play fast but under control

Too often he is chucking and ducking which only leads to sucking

Fatts: you have great speed and you are a talent - play to your strengths / and for that I blame the coach

I agree w blue man - cox needs to show leadership / sit anyone who takes a bad shot for awhile / throw a chair -

Only when a players PT is reduced will they truly respond

Cox comes across weak to me when he allows stupid plays

Like fatts at the end of the 1st half

Where’s your basketball IQ my goodness
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Until an effective inside game develops, we're in for more nights like last night.

Our best shooters look like they will be the freshmen.

But of course CT and Fatts keep taking the lion's share of 3 pointers, and whiffing on a regular basis.

One thing that CAN be fixed though.....defensive intensity.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Allowing dunk fests pre game also shows a lack of leadership.....hell we can't even make a high percentage of layups to begin with...might help to practice them a little?
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

It's not like they were making many either. When Preston was here, he ran the pre-game shooting.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well obviously no one runs it now, that's for sure.

Maybe if they are tired they should save their energy and not try stupid shit which could get them hurt also.

I wonder what Jeff must be thinking....he seems like the only one showing any leadership among the older players.

Well maybe Cyril too....but the others?
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Here is a comparative look at Fatts Russell three point shooting. (regular season only)

2017-18            2018-19 

OOC     13-38   .342       15-83   .181
A-10    15-67   .224        2-13   .154
Total   28-105  .267       17-96   .177 

# Games       29                 15 games, incl 2 A-10
Avg PT       18.0 min.          34.1 min.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Obadiah wrote: 5 years ago Here is a comparative look at Fatts Russell three point shooting. (regular season only)

2017-18            2018-19 

OOC     13-38   .342       15-83   .181
A-10    15-67   .224        2-13   .154
Total   28-105  .267       17-96   .177 

# Games       29                 15 games, incl 2 A-10
Avg PT       18.0 min.          34.1 min.
It's actually getting worse. FR OOC - 34%, FR A10 - 22%, SO OOC - 18%, SO A10 - 15%. sheesh.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Seems like a trend huh?

He had a couple good 3 pt. shooting games last year...without those his numbers for last year would be about the same as this year...as in horrible.

Was he that bad in high school? I thought he was OK, maybe I was wrong?

Anyway, anybody who thinks he'll get better at it, is probably living in a land of make believe. He does have talent, but shooting is not included.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

You cannot be 5’9” and shoot that poorly from 3. If he is not a shooter and people think Jeff should be the lead guard when on the court at the same time, then where does Fatts fit in? Not a scorer or a PG...what is he?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Not sure RIFan, but Fatts took PG for Hawaii and last night (and games before WV before Jeff took WV). Both were ugly. Jeff runs this team like a pro. It's not even a discussion.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

RIFan wrote: 5 years ago You cannot be 5’9” and shoot that poorly from 3. If he is not a shooter and people think Jeff should be the lead guard when on the court at the same time, then where does Fatts fit in? Not a scorer or a PG...what is he?
Shooter and scorer are not the same thing. He can also distribute the ball as an off guard - I could see him having value as a guy that gets to the rim in transition with his speed, gets into the paint via the dribble to create scoring opportunities for himself and others in the half court, is a pest on-ball defender and can take the occasion three when it is gifted to him in the flow of the offense.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago
RIFan wrote: 5 years ago You cannot be 5’9” and shoot that poorly from 3. If he is not a shooter and people think Jeff should be the lead guard when on the court at the same time, then where does Fatts fit in? Not a scorer or a PG...what is he?
Shooter and scorer are not the same thing. He can also distribute the ball as an off guard - I could see him having value as a guy that gets to the rim in transition with his speed, gets into the paint via the dribble to create scoring opportunities for himself and others in the half court, is a pest on-ball defender and can take the occasion three when it is gifted to him in the flow of the offense.
TP, and that's what he should be doing.....not being the ball hog PG and throwing up bricks all night.

Yet Cox keeps running him out there as PG at times....the sample size of failure doing that should be big enough now where the coach and staff sees that and stops doing that....yet they keep doing it.

The question to me is why?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

What I didn't understand is Jeff had the defensive assignment against the point guard last night but Fatts was offensive lead guard. Makes no sense.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Just the opposite of what it should be.

Anyway, if it continues we will not even be a .500 team.

We could lose to anybody, and likely will.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......great question, answer; a high speed off the bench player, that can be a short term defensive disrupter, make a steel, get in a passing lane, slap at passes, pick pocket off a guard not used to him, anticipating where the odd bounces are going, catch the other teams offense off guard due to his quickness, be a mo changer with a dribble drive bucket off chaos, hit the unlikely three off defense(see OK game NCAA), basically creating self initiated press defense in spurts......not being reliable for doing much in anything half court offense sets......isn’t that what he did last year?.....spark is the word often used here......”scouting” him last year is what I observed.....TP has got it too....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Just watch the assignments going forward. And who is the lead guard. And let me know if you see a difference in the offense. Because I sure do.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I think we all understand that Fatts has to play more this season than last due to all that left...…

But the role he's playing is all screwed up.

Maybe the thought was, another year of experience and Fatts will be better?

Not happening. Hate to say it, but he needs to revert back to being a role player once we get more guard talent here.
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Here is a look at the freshman 3-point shooting performance (ex Harris) on three point shooting.

PT  3fg-3fga   %   Overall FG %

Martin     24.3   13-45  .289    .387
Tate       15.1    7-18  .389    .448
Silverio    8.1    6-16  .375    .321
Total      15.3   26-79  .329    .396

Fatts      34.1   17-96  .177    .305
Thompson   27.7   18-70  .257    .337

This shows giving the freshman more PT and taking minutes from Thompson and Fatts on paper has FG and 3-pt scoring benefits. This analysis focuses on the shooting dimension. There are many other aspects that make the complete player.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago I think we all understand that Fatts has to play more this season than last due to all that left...…

But the role he's playing is all screwed up.

Maybe the thought was, another year of experience and Fatts will be better?

Not happening. Hate to say it, but he needs to revert back to being a role player once we get more guard talent here.
Dowtin can play PG and should. Silverio can also.
With Dowtin at PG you can have Tate, Martin, Silverio, Thompson, Fatts all on the wings or shooting guards. Fatts is not at PG because there is a shortage of PGs or SGs......he is there because of the Coaching Staff.
At this point Martin, Tate and Silverio offer the best options for SGs with Dowtin at PG. Nothing to lose. See what the Freshmen can do.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago Not sure RIFan, but Fatts took PG for Hawaii and last night (and games before WV before Jeff took WV). Both were ugly. Jeff runs this team like a pro. It's not even a discussion.
This has always been my issue with the “Jeff should be the PG” narrative. If the team doesn’t play well, they say Fatts played PG, and if they do play well then they say Jeff played PG. the reality is that they both have handled the ball in all of the games they’ve both played, and it has been more or less consistent game to game. It does seem like they’ve gradually shifted toward Jeff handling it more over the course of the season, but it isn’t like they have ever switched back and forth where one guy did it 100% for a game and then another game the other guy did it. It also makes no sense to think that’s what has been going on, because if there were some obvious common thread in games we played well vs game we didn’t, there’s no way they would keep doing the thing that didn’t work. I know fans love to think all the coaches are stupid when the team loses, but I assure you it isn’t as simple as when Jeff plays point exclusively the team does well, and when Fatts plays it exclusively they stink. If it was that easy they’d have fixed everything in November.
5 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Martin 3 pt.percentage is low, but it's improving....early on he couldn't buy a 3 pointer....still better than the 2 guys who are getting most of the minutes.

We thought Dan was slow in making adjustments....but at least he eventually would....Cox has to start doing so too. What I don't get is Sutton and Carroll are sitting there.....do they have any input?

Those guys supposedly have a ton of BB experience.....what good is it doing right now?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago Not sure RIFan, but Fatts took PG for Hawaii and last night (and games before WV before Jeff took WV). Both were ugly. Jeff runs this team like a pro. It's not even a discussion.
This has always been my issue with the “Jeff should be the PG” narrative. If the team doesn’t play well, they say Fatts played PG, and if they do play well then they say Jeff played PG. the reality is that they both have handled the ball in all of the games they’ve both played, and it has been more or less consistent game to game. It does seem like they’ve gradually shifted toward Jeff handling it more over the course of the season, but it isn’t like they have ever switched back and forth where one guy did it 100% for a game and then another game the other guy did it. It also makes no sense to think that’s what has been going on, because if there were some obvious common thread in games we played well vs game we didn’t, there’s no way they would keep doing the thing that didn’t work. I know fans love to think all the coaches are stupid when the team loses, but I assure you it isn’t as simple as when Jeff plays point exclusively the team does well, and when Fatts plays it exclusively they stink. If it was that easy they’d have fixed everything in November.
My observation TP is Jeff takes a secondary role when he is not lead guard and defers to Fatts. He plays the role he's assigned to, which he should. Do you want Jeff to play two positions at the same time? When Jeff is lead, he RUNS the offense. He is directing, calling spots, and being a leader. When he is not, he is just hanging out waiting on what Fatts does. Which is usually chucking up a brick three.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

TP, Jeff gets the others more involved in the half court game, especially the freshmen.

When Fatts has the ball he's dribbling and the others stand around and watch, don't get involved and Fatts then throws up a stinker.

Yes they both have had PG duties in the same game, but the difference is marked. The offense runs much smoother when Jeff has the ball...he's running the show and directing the others. Fatts? Not so much.

It's the old BB IQ thingy. Dowtin has it....FR does not....look what happened when Jeff largely took over the PG duties from Garrett a while back.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

TP, Just watch three games. Hawaii, West Virginia and George Mason. Focus on who is running the point.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

At this point for me it is not about the two of them playing together. I would being Fatts off the bench and no more than 20 minutes per game until he shows improvement in his shooting percentage. I'd play Martin, Tate, Silverio, Thompson and Fatts on the wings - in that order. Can't have Fatts putting up so many 3's with such a low percentage. Enough is enough.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

ramster, the problem we do have...is that Jeff doesn't have much in the way of a quality backup at the PG position.

He playing a ton of minutes and it's already catching up to him late in games now.

Omar can spell for a bit, and he can shoot, but he's not ready to assume a lot of minutes at the 1.

And when Fatts is at the point, the offense stalls out and the 3 pt. shooting circus begins.

Our opponents especially league teams are no dummies....they see what we see and are putting a lot of pressure on Jeff.

Fatts is way too small to be playing the 2.....so the way I see it is we will have to wait until we get more PG talent in here that will alleviate this situation. But at least for now give Omar some PT to develop some more.....this season is mostly toast so run with it and they will be better off in the long run.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

What’s this ??.. TP basically saying the sane thing as me .. LOL

I agree !
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

This is an adjustment season. We need to remember the big picture and trust the process. We’ll be back.
2 x
GO RAMS
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

It’s not the process that worries me - it’s the coaching decisions and the undiscipline of hero ball

There is a right way to teach kids and then there is what cox has been doing so far

I’d sit down fatts to start 2nd half after he pulled the sh*t he pulled at the end of 1st half

A PG does not do that / Cox shoujd have benched him to start the 2nd half

Lost all respect for cox after that teaching moment that he didn’t show fatts the consequences
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Cox has been too soft on the guys for sure.

Especially on the ones that should know better like the older players.

He talks the talk but is he walking the walk? Not yet.

My guess is, he will toughen up in time....he has to, or the inmates will run the asylum, and we're screwed.

I think my clichés are out of control......
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

The problem with Jeff always at the point is...he's the best shooter (and passer, and defender, and...) on the team, too.
So, you'd kinda like to let him get open for more catch and shoot?...That's tougher if he always brings it up?
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The problem with this team is....we didn't have enough left after last season.....the freshmen are good and will get better, but in the meantime we have to deal with some suck time.

And some of who we had left....meaning CT and Fatts….aren't getting it done.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago The problem with this team is....we didn't have enough left after last season.....the freshmen are good and will get better, but in the meantime we have to deal with some suck time.

The crazy part is, you all don’t think the coaches are racking their brain about the exact same things many of us are, except they know a little more than we do about their personnel. We have a FIRST YEAR HC. How many first year head coaches went to the tourney with one returning starter and 4 freshman? I’ll wait...

Another note....Omar can shoot, but he’s a defensive liability, even more so than others.
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

some rambling thoughts:

A big problem is that other than Jeff and Fatts, we really don't have anyone that's strong with the ball. Last year we had Jeff and Jarvis. Jared and EC (although EC wasn't particularly strong with the ball) could get there own shots. Andre had those great soft hands. This year only Jeff and Fatts can create for themselves. The others have to find their way open, but there just isn't enough movement on offense. Everyone stands around and watches the dribbler. Both Harris and Cyril hold the ball too long in the post, allow double teams to come. They need to get rid of the ball sooner to create better scoring opportunities.

I'm hopeful that Tyrese will become strong enough with the ball where he can be a slasher and create his own shots inside the 3 line much like Jared. Fatts isn't a shooter, but agree with others that say he is a scorer. I would like to see if he can start making jumpers inside the arc as well.

Let's face it...last night's 3 point shooting effort was a nightmare, but they also missed a bunch of free throws. Tyrese missed a couple of bunnies and Jeff missed shots in the lane that he is normally money on.

Jeff gets the accolades for being the team's leader. Well, that didn't show when he led them on to the floor in the second half...looking like he just got up from a nap. I'm not necessarily blaming the players. In fact I'm not. I'm blaming the coach. He shows no energy and the players follow suit. I said previously that Cox doesn't exude confidence. I know looks can be deceiving, but he actually LOOKS like a deer caught in the headlights.
0 x
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago The problem with this team is....we didn't have enough left after last season.....the freshmen are good and will get better, but in the meantime we have to deal with some suck time.

The crazy part is, you all don’t think the coaches are racking their brain about the exact same things many of us are, except they know a little more than we do about their personnel. We have a FIRST YEAR HC. How many first year head coaches went to the tourney with one returning starter and 4 freshman? I’ll wait...

Another note....Omar can shoot, but he’s a defensive liability, even more so than others.
Very true I’m sure.

I agree Omar good shooter or not is not ready to start at all. What id like to see is tyrese start at the 2. He plays good defense and his shooting numbers aren’t great above (currently) but his misses early in the year all seemed to rim out and were good misses. Recently a lot more have been falling and you can see the potential. There is nothing to lose here. Fatts should sub in at point or the 2 when dowtin or tyrese need a break and play as if he is the 4th scoring option on the team. He should ply 15 mins a game and take 7 shots max he needs to be a role player not have the Michael Jordan green light. Make a difference that way. He has two more years to earn that green light back but step back and be a team player.

Then start Tate for Thompson who has seemed out of it this year for the most part. No Stan like defensive intensity a lot of us were hoping for. Harris and Cyril other starters and get their shots down low no matter what. Give harris 10 post moves/shots per game I don’t care what happens. Cyril keep doing what he’s doing (don’t bring the ball below your waist btw). Let them develop. This to me is clearly the best bet. There’s hope but big changes have to be made in a couple areas
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

New working theory - no basis for it - but who has had the “scout” by the coaches in the games we have looked bad in. Is this a coaching staff issue? We always played best last year seemingly on offense when Coach Cox was in charge of the game plan because he is a really good offensive coach.

Also agree with those that say we are attacking a zone way better than years past, need to adjust to more man D being played against us.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 years ago
ramster wrote: 5 years ago
PeteRI wrote: 5 years ago Lots of great posts here. Some obvious mandatory changes for me:

1) NO MORE THOMPSON STARTS. Among his O-for 3's was a particularly egregious sequence where he bricked a 3, we got the offensive rebound, then he BRICKED ANOTHER 3. He shot a perfect 0% from the field with 2 turnovers in 24 minutes.

2) LIMIT FATTS 3-POINT ATTEMPTS. 17.7%. You can put in a Division III kid and he'd do better.

3) NO MORE CODDLING FROM COACH COX. He's their leader, not their friend. I've seen enough of Thompson jogging down the court, weakly throwing a pass right into the hands of an opponent, and throwing up bricks.

I've seen enough Iso plays from Fatts, like he's Kyrie's Kid Brother.

I've seen enough attempts by Cyril to put the ball on the floor instead of going to the basket. (And before you slam me, I LOVE Cyril's passion and determination.)

I've seen enough of Jermaine picking up a fould every 3 minutes. (He should be playing at least 20 minutes a game and scoring a minimum of 10 points.)

These are young men looking to you for guidance and discipline. Time to start providing it!
Pete,
Agree completely on Thompson jogging down the court - in both offense and defense. He also throws soft, lazy passes like the inbounds pass yesterday meant for Harris that was stolen for an easy 2 just 4 minutes into the game. Nothing new on Thompson. Play the Freshmen. Nothing to lose now. Cox gets a free pass his first year so there is no reason to be stoic and conservative. I have no problem with all 4 freshmen in the game at the same time.
and please stop with the fun-time pregame drills as others have mentioned.
I don't get the 'free pass' stuff. i did not get a free pass my first year on the job. :lol: :lol: Did you?
Once I started getting paid, they expected me to do the job.
Good catch 208. I never got a free pass in my first year or in my first week :lol: :lol:
What I really mean by that is that Cox should not be afraid to take risks with the starting line up yet he seems to be very conservative in that regard having not made a single change. Only change was injury related when Fatts got the concussion in practice. 30 straight line ups when counting the start of the 2nd half and our record is a mediocre 8-7.
I think when there is never a line up change then the stuff that gets said in the Hurley years that players earn their starting spot based on practice play becomes hollow. Nothing is going to change so there is less motivation to the non-starters. In fact, there is less motivation for the starters themselves to keep their starting position.

When Thompson threw that horrible, soft pass to Harris 4 minutes into the game from the sideline in front of the GMU bench that is when Cox should have pulled Thompson and sat him for a few minutes. Instead, Thompson gripped to Cox that it was Harris' fault. This was a very simple inbound the ball from the sideline, not even from the baseline that is tougher based on space allowed. I get that Fatts is not shooting well, he is a better shooter than his stats indicate, but he has thrown up many WTF type shots. Off balance, falling way, man in his face type 3 pointers with little chance of going in, yet Cox just seems to look the other way. If starters feared losing their starting job then they would be more incentivized to shoot more after practice, before practice, during off days. They would do all possible to keep their starting position - but it does not seem like anyone will lose their starting job based on half way through the season.
Jimmy Baron lived in the gym, the ultimate gym rat but he was a tremendous shooter - but he worked and worked and worked at it. Talented yes but practice makes perfect as they say. You would not see Jimmy doing fancy things in the layup line and wasting that precious pregame practice time
EC Mathews worked hard on his shooting. Often in the gym before and/or after the official practices. He would practice 3's during the before game shooting. He would also go to the foul line and practice FTs before the game and also at the halftime break. Not as good a shooter as Jimmy Baron, few are, but he had a solid work ethic.
I'm disappointed at the lackadaisical pregame shooting as several others have mentioned.
I'm disappointed at the growth rate of the freshman class that was rated the best in the A10 coming into this season onto a team that lost 4 starters. Not one A10 Rookie of the week through 7 weeks. Are the Freshmen as talented as we thought coming in? Maybe but too early still to tell.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Our zone D works too. Mason had 6,000 layups. throw the zone at them.

Interesting effect on a teams success when the team thinks it has a Chaz Williams and it turns out he is indeed Fatts Russell.

Who turns out to be a poor man's ShawnDre Jones.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

On the FG stats of Fr, Fatts & Thompson one of the reasons Tate and Martin are higher is because of their baskets down low/layups and putbacks. I am not disagreeing with the overall point. A more fair comparison would be shot chart based looking at outside two point FGA.

Regarding a new lineup, Martin and Tate can’t play the 2G. They don’t have the ballhandling skills for a G. Just watch the struggle Jeff had at SLU when Thompson played the 2G. Jeff’s quotes after the Richmond game that he needed Fatts on the floor to help relieve the ball pressure on him should show you Fatts is needed. The Richmond game was one of Rhody’s best offensive nights. Fatts played 34 minutes and had 19 points. He needs to drive more and take less outside shots.

Martin should definitely start at the SF over Thompson.
I wish there was another experienced G on the roster to reduce Fatts’ minutes. I am in favor of increasing Omar’s minutes and cutting back on Fatts. As long as Omar isn’t a major defensive liability in the game.
2 x
“We will be good when we are good.”