1/13|George Mason Patriots|5:30PM (NBCSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Re: 1/13|George Mason Patriots|5:30PM (NBCSN)

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Can't understand why Cox would even allow a single three point shot to be taken when the team is shooting so poorly from beyond the arc.

I feel like he does not have control over this team like Hurley did. WTF.
2 x
Mobley was fouled.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Once again, Fatts primary ball handler. Once again, an L.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago So it seems they are not done experimenting with Jeff off the ball. This offense is putrid when he doesn't run the team. Nice move. Are we done experimenting yet?
.......we are rebuilding, brick by brick.....
4 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 5 years ago
theblueram wrote: 5 years ago So it seems they are not done experimenting with Jeff off the ball. This offense is putrid when he doesn't run the team. Nice move. Are we done experimenting yet?
Jeff is our POINT GUARD. Rebuild around him, but you can't move him off the ball.
1 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Who was guarding Justin Kier? He killed us. 8 for 10, 19 points, 10 boards.
Last edited by KevanBoyles 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Exactly - coach cox takes our best asset and takes him off PG duties - emBARONsing
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I feel like a broken record saying it.
0 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

We must have the highest percentage 3s against us, I feel like every team shoots 70% against us.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

We are actually 16th best in country at defending the three ball. At least entering this game.
2 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Can't wait to see Thompson's stats. Is it true Fatts had 1 assist as primary PG?
0 x
Urifan91
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Urifan91 »

At this rate Trump should hire us to build that wall! It might be finished by the end of the season. 25 threes taken and more were air balls than makes!
5 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Yes. Fatts 1 assist.

CT 0 for 5. All from three. Three boards, two fouls. That’s it.
1 x
Urifan91
Jimmy Baron

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago Can't wait to see Thompson's stats. Is it true Fatts had 1 assist as primary PG?
CT was 0-5 all 3pointers, 3 rebs, 0ast
Yes Fatts only had the 1 ast
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

So Thompson starts, and plays many minutes, and gives us just 3 rebounds? That's it? For a starting guard in the A10? sheesh.
1 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

I figured this thread would be in meltdown mode and I'm not disappointed.

The coaching staff needs to continue to build these guys up not throw fits on the sideline. Improvement going forward is not going to be linear this is a young but decently talented team. I'm satisfied with the current rate of progress and think you guys are going to be sweating next offseason (March 2020) when Cox is getting offers.
4 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I wouldn't say meltdown mode. I question playing Jeff off the ball. Every game he is off the ball is a disaster.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

1. Coach Cox is NOT Dan Hurley.

2. Coach Cox is not coaching last year or the year’s before that team.

3. This team looked like they were assuming GM was going to roll over. Instead, we rolled.

4. I expected this, personally, before the season. Freshman are going to Freshman. Fatts is going to Fatts. CT is a mystery. Cyril is still a work horse.

5. We are going to lose games we should win and win some we should lose.

6. We are a WTF team so far.

7. Coach Cox isn’t going anywhere for at least 3 seasons. Whether any of us like it or not. He is finding his way, this team is finding its way, and so far, it’s an ugly, slow process.

8. I still believe we will finish this season better than .500.

9. That’s all I got. I believe in whatever coach walks our sidelines. Sometimes, it’s hard to see the forest through the trees.
Last edited by DC_Rams 5 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
7 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.....sit CT long term......the future is not with him......let him transfer as fifth year senior(whatever)next year......play Omar more, DT and TM major minutes to gain experience.....predict that a Fatts says bye bye......just my gut here......the rebuild will take on another look next year, with a coach with his first year under his belt......he has to find his way and be comfortable with it, not thinking the Hurley dust left has some positive impact.....
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 5 years ago Hero ball dowtin / I don’t care he made it / no ball movement
Sorry. If you've watched this year...you're not allowed to speak a negative word about JD.
Far and away the best player on this team. You shall not insult him again.
Last edited by NYGFan_Section208 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
Ram96
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Ram96 »

Everybody was just standing around on offense! No movement, no plays called and they continued to just hoist threes. On defense it was so many open threes for GM. Cox was just as awful, seems like there was no plan, and no in game adjustments. Hard to watch.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Correct that Cox isnt the one shooting and missing open shots.

Cox is the one who allows certain players to continue to do that without consequence.

Dan Hurley took his entire starting lineup out during the la salle game to prove a point. Fatts got to do what he wanted for 31 minutes.

Then, silverio comes in, goes 2 for 2 from 3, had an assist and is pulled out 1:15 later. For about :20 of game time, while fatts went in. THEN Omar is out back in the game AT FORWARD while jermaine Harris sat on the bench.

FATTS PLAYED 38 MINUTES. HE TOOK 7 THREE POINT SHOTS. HE IS THE LITERAL WORST 3 POINT SHOOTER IN THE COUNTRY. HOW IS THAT ALLOWED TO HE UNCHJECK WHEN YOU HAVE A HALFWAY CAPABLE SHOOTER ON THE BENCH???

I know the coach can’t make shots, but it is his job to not only put his players in situations to make shots, but to make adjustments and lineup changes when it’s obvious certain players can’t execute on a given night.

This was disgusting and I fear that no one on that team was able to learn any lesson from Dave standing pat and displaying zero emotion on the court.

To be clear: I am not saying David Cox will never be a good coach, or won’t grow from this, but dear God this game (and disturbing other ones) fall squarely on his shoulders and I hope he makes adjustments, or it will be a long few years.
Last edited by Blue Man 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
9 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

DeanDome88 wrote: 5 years ago I figured this thread would be in meltdown mode and I'm not disappointed.

The coaching staff needs to continue to build these guys up not throw fits on the sideline. Improvement going forward is not going to be linear this is a young but decently talented team. I'm satisfied with the current rate of progress and think you guys are going to be sweating next offseason (March 2020) when Cox is getting offers.
At this point, I think the sweat is going to be minimal.
4 x
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 years ago
ElmCityRhody wrote: 5 years ago Hero ball dowtin / I don’t care he made it / no ball movement
Sorry. If you've watched this year...you're not allowed to speak a negative word about JD.
Honestly our best bet would be dowtin playing hero ball taking twice as many shots as he does now. I would not hate that.
6 x
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

And fatts should not have the most shots of any player for any game in the forseaable future. Until he figures it out. There is not a team our level in the country that allows this. Maybe LIU-Brooklyn or a Mac team
3 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

DeanDome88 wrote: 5 years ago I figured this thread would be in meltdown mode and I'm not disappointed.

......Come on man......
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Cmon. You have to accomplish something first and the a-10 is flat out awful right now. What has been so satisfying to this point?
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I did something tonight that I have rarely done at URI games - I walked out with just under 4 minutes left. Pissed that I left a Patriots game viewing party early to rush down to Kingston for such a sorry performance.

This is just not a very good team. Basically .500 squad that will win one and then take a step back with a loss. Will hover a game or two within an even W/L record all year long. Mid pack in the A-10 between 6th-10th. Anyone that thinks this team will suddenly put it all together and start winning and somehow have a run in Brooklyn is delusional. Just too inconsistent. Need to start focusing on the future more than the now since this season is destined to be a dud. Thompson should no longer start and his minutes should be dramatically cut. Should just spell others some time off the bench. Fatts should see less time and have some of his present minutes distributed to the freshmen.

I have never seen a team that has shot the ball so poorly. Some of their three attempts tonight did not even get any rim. In addition to the year long horrible shooting woes, the team made matters worse tonight with poor defense and a lack of energy. Terrible body language in the 2nd half.

I have seen seven games to date and had already bought tickets to three more. Will not purchase any additional tickets this year. It is sadly not worth the effort and one hour drive each way. Will go to the three games I have and root the team on as usual but will not invest any more additional money, time, or emotion. This is now nothing but a transitional year. Will still always wish they win each and every game from here on out. Hopefully better days are on the horizon next season with new players that can actually put the ball through the hoop. For now I will have to be content with my fond memories of the previous two seasons. Thankfully we have that to fall back on after what had been a very long dryspell.
Last edited by RF1 5 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
2 x
Urifan91
Jimmy Baron

Only gonna be sweating in March 2020 if global warming takes a real turn for the worse
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I know this is a young team, but they’re 15 games in. It’s a shame if they’re still looking for consistent effort and toughness.

Missing in action: David Cox focused most of his postgame comments not on poor shooting or shaky defense, but on an overarching problem. For the second time this year - Stony Brook being the other - the Rams did not play the brand of basketball that he wanted to see and the result was a second home loss. Cox said, “I need to find five guys who are going to be willing and committed to playing Rhode Island basketball with the toughness, the physicality that we always have played this game with. I had trouble finding that today. Trust me, beginning tomorrow, I will identify those guys, whether it’s five guys or seven or what have you. I will find those guys and we will right this ship come Wednesday.”
Last edited by ace 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I just keep falling back to Jeff as our point guard. Leave Jeff at point, and build around him. Otherwise, we are in for a long cold winter. We better recruit another point guard soon.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......it is getting late, awfully early around here.....
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Urifan91 wrote: 5 years ago

Only gonna be sweating in March 2020 if global warming takes a real turn for the worse
The good news is...at this rate...looks like Rick might still be available.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

After I’ve settled my nerves , I’ve got two points.

A. Coach Cox needs time.
B. I’m beginning to think that workout program is the culprit of the horrendous shooting because nothing else would make sense.
2 x
GO RAMS
Urifan91
Jimmy Baron

Reading into coach’s postgame comments it sounds like a change to the starting lineup may be coming. I hope it is Martin for CT.
4 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Well I feel great that Marial Mading was present to see that bloodbath...let’s hope he doesn’t run away!
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I think it's a minimal change. Start Martin over CT, and make sure Dowtin is the PG. Not rocket science.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago I think it's a minimal change. Start Martin over CT, and make sure Dowtin is the PG. Not rocket science.
......and the defense needs some major adjustments, not just playing that end of the floor the same with those changes in the lineups with Jeff as point.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

What's the old saying?

wait till next year?

At least we are consistent.

Bad offense, bad defense.

Cox is right....changes need to be made.

Changes suggested by others here make sense....sit CT, start Martin....Dowtin is the PG, that's it.

what do we have to lose? More games? Find a group that gives us a chance.

We all thought we would have a strong inside game with CL, JH, and Tate...….well right now we don't....we can't hit the side of a barn most nights from outside....yet we keep trying.....

At least when Dan was here we could stay in games due to our defensive intensity...even that is MIA right now.
Last edited by rambone 78 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

I left at halftime. That's how disgusted I was. Probably would have felt even worse if I stayed.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

This is the most inconsistent team I’ve seen. We shot 44% from 3 on the road @Richmond . Then 12% at home.
1 x
GO RAMS
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

At this rate Trump should hire us to build that wall! It might be finished by the end of the season. 25 threes taken and more were air balls than makes!

we could certainly contribute a lot of bricks to the effort.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

You take away Fatts 3 pt. shooting numbers, and we're not that bad a 3 pt. shooting team.

Take that however you want.

Fatts can't shoot 3's. This isn't a slump. He sucks at it.

He keeps shooting them. Cox, tell him to stop shooting them.

People here are saying Jeff should run the offense. I agree, but the difference wouldn't be that much if FR would stop taking ill advised shots...like 3 pointers, open or not.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Blue Man wrote: 5 years ago This is on David Cox. Period.

Shooting woes are one thing. There is no consequence to a bad shot. Fatts is given carte blanche to do whatever he wants with no penalty.

Say what you want about Hurley, but this shit was unacceptable.

We’re not an at large team. These games don’t matter. Play silverio if Fatts is doing something stupid. Play silverio, get him experience. Hell, play Leviton to make a point.

Status quo is unacceptable and nauseating.
I can honestly say I don't understand the Cox-Fatts dynamic. Last home game I saw Cox get into it with Harris. I saw him take Cyril out after a bad turnover and get into it with him. Yet Fatts can overrule the game ending play Cox draws up, can hoist any number of bad shots and so on and there are seemingly no consequences like you said. Was this something that was inevitable but we didn't see it last year because of the amount of players in front of him? Is Fatts hard to coach? Does Cox feel like he can't go at Fatts the way he does other players for some reason? This has been a season long issue and yet Fatts is still taking the most shots on the team and is still taking the most threes. Nothing is getting better, nothing is changing.
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

RhodyRam86 wrote: 5 years ago

we could certainly contribute a lot of bricks to the effort.
The ball needs to at least hit the rim to be considered a brick...
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Maybe next time. Out played and out coached. I don't get the small ball lineup when none of them can shoot? Whats the angle? Where do they win?

Offense takes too long to start. I felt that way over the past few years too. The offense struggles but they are only running their stuff in the last 15 seconds. Tough to get a good shot like that. Everything is fine when the ball goes down. When it isn't falling you have to shake it up.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 years ago
Relax - of course JD is a stud - I said that I can’t wait to see him in the nba - he’ll be great there once he gets w real players

It was said in the jist of a beat down and mire directed at cox for allowing hero ball
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Blue Man wrote: 5 years ago Correct that Cox isnt the one shooting and missing open shots.

Cox is the one who allows certain players to continue to do that without consequence.

Dan Hurley took his entire starting lineup out during the la salle game to prove a point. Fatts got to do what he wanted for 31 minutes.

Then, silverio comes in, goes 2 for 2 from 3, had an assist and is pulled out 1:15 later. For about :20 of game time, while fatts went in. THEN Omar is out back in the game AT FORWARD while jermaine Harris sat on the bench.

FATTS PLAYED 38 MINUTES. HE TOOK 7 THREE POINT SHOTS. HE IS THE LITERAL WORST 3 POINT SHOOTER IN THE COUNTRY. HOW IS THAT ALLOWED TO HE UNCHJECK WHEN YOU HAVE A HALFWAY CAPABLE SHOOTER ON THE BENCH???

I know the coach can’t make shots, but it is his job to not only put his players in situations to make shots, but to make adjustments and lineup changes when it’s obvious certain players can’t execute on a given night.

This was disgusting and I fear that no one on that team was able to learn any lesson from Dave standing pat and displaying zero emotion on the court.

To be clear: I am not saying David Cox will never be a good coach, or won’t grow from this, but dear God this game (and disturbing other ones) fall squarely on his shoulders and I hope he makes adjustments, or it will be a long few years.

HEAR HEAR
0 x
cRAM4finals
Jeff Kent

Unread post by cRAM4finals »

Couple of thoughts
- our defense is a part of this problem. We over chase with rotations and are not fast enough to cover skip passes for open threes. GM shot well tonight from3 but had really good looks as a result of an over pursue/help defense. Guys that have to cover deep 3s have to run from the paint to defend these shots. Not happening. We just aren’t fast enough. Saw this last 2 games and GM capitalized after a good scout

- what was with the JH and CT spat early in the first half after the lazy pass from CT to Harris. JH was really upset with him. Demonstrative. I’m a little worried about team chemistry.

- CT is an enigma. Hustles a couple of plays and then loses focus and desire. Really puzzling.

I’ll be back to see them in action Wednesday. Coach has lots of work to do before then.
0 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

Sometimes the best 5 guys isn’t the best 5-man unit. Harris played his best half when Langevine sat because of foul trouble vs WV. Martin and Tate played their best games when Fatts was hurt. Now is the time to try different combinations and see what works.

And I thought the poor 3 point shooting masked a more serious problem which is lack of defensive intensity.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Dowtin at PG tends to get Martin and Tate more involved in the offense....Fatts not so much.

He's busy launching prayers which are any 3 pointers he takes.

The lack of defensive intensity imo falls mostly on the coach. I've been a big defender of DC to this point, but stuff like this is a little disturbing.
2 x