General Recruiting Discussion/Comments 2022 and before

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
rhodyblue12
ARD

Re: General Recruiting Discussion/Comments

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

I knew someone would throw that out there.
Don't care what anyone says, my eyes tell me the "let's make Silverio a PG" experiment is not the answer going forward.
Right up there with "let's make the football team's TE our power forward" experiment. Maybe worse.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

The 2019 recruiting is over.
Long, Mading & Hamond.

Walker takes the current open scholarship in January.

The three Fr take the spots from Preston, Will & Aris.

Nothing else is open unless someone transfers after the next semester.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago The 2019 recruiting is over.
Long, Mading & Hamond.

Walker takes the current open scholarship in January.

The three Fr take the spots from Preston, Will & Aris.

Nothing else is open unless someone transfers after the next semester.
Does anybody know if Aris is already gone? He wasn't in Hawaii.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Not great news. John Carroll had the Team New England contacts. Rivals is taking over and Rhody doesn’t have relationship with Rivals.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Giving Will a scholarship this year was a nice thing to do. However, when you are building a program you could use the scholarships for transfers to fill s hole (like SG or PG).
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Not great news. John Carroll had the Team New England contacts. Rivals is taking over and Rhody doesn’t have relationship with Rivals.
If they are merging, wouldn’t a lot of the TNE staff become a part of Rivals?
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Giving Will a scholarship this year was a nice thing to do. However, when you are building a program you could use the scholarships for transfers to fill s hole (like SG or PG).
The issue isn't giving Will a scholarship, the issue was giving Aris a scholarship
3 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Giving Will a scholarship this year was a nice thing to do. However, when you are building a program you could use the scholarships for transfers to fill s hole (like SG or PG).
The issue isn't giving Will a scholarship, the issue was giving Aris a scholarship
They have three freshmen coming in next year so the whole point is mute anyway. Unless somebody else is leaving after the season than that would change things.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

We don’t have a need at PG or SG next year - that need is the year after (assuming Dowtin doesn’t really blow up and go pro). I would be looking at a traditional transfer at the end of the this year if someone else does transfer out to open a spot.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Tertsea would be the most logical candidate to transfer.

It's clear he's not going to get many minutes the rest of his time here.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rhodylaw wrote: 5 years ago We don’t have a need at PG or SG next year - that need is the year after (assuming Dowtin doesn’t really blow up and go pro). I would be looking at a traditional transfer at the end of the this year if someone else does transfer out to open a spot.
We have a need at PG and SG this year. How do we not have one next year? If he had an option this year Fatts wouldn’t be playing 34 minutes/game. Cox would also give Jeff more of a rest.

Regarding looking at a traditional transfer at the end of this year. We don’t have an open spot unless someone else leaves early.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

There could be a concern later this season that Jeff, Cyril, and Fatts are playing so many minutes , that they might wear down no matter their age.

The continued development and more playing time for the freshmen is instrumental toward alleviating that potential issue.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago
rhodylaw wrote: 5 years ago We don’t have a need at PG or SG next year - that need is the year after (assuming Dowtin doesn’t really blow up and go pro). I would be looking at a traditional transfer at the end of the this year if someone else does transfer out to open a spot.
We have a need at PG and SG this year. How do we not have one next year? If he had an option this year Fatts wouldn’t be playing 34 minutes/game. Cox would also give Jeff more of a rest.

Regarding looking at a traditional transfer at the end of this year. We don’t have an open spot unless someone else leaves early.
If you are talking about a back-up level player, than I guess I could agree on that. Jeff is going to play almost the whole game no matter who is on the roster, he is the best player in the league and that is what you do with the best player in the league. Fatts could use a spell - but I think that should be covered by growth of Omar and incoming players. I have not given up on Omar yet - wasn’t ready to start this year but that doesn’t mean he can’t be a good four year player.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

With the growth of Tate and Martin, CT can play more of the two which helps.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rhodylaw wrote: 5 years ago

If you are talking about a back-up level player, than I guess I could agree on that. Jeff is going to play almost the whole game no matter who is on the roster, he is the best player in the league and that is what you do with the best player in the league. Fatts could use a spell - but I think that should be covered by growth of Omar and incoming players. I have not given up on Omar yet - wasn’t ready to start this year but that doesn’t mean he can’t be a good four year player.
I think back-up level player is the wrong word. In the previous two seasons URI has had 5 players each year avg 18 minutes or more at the Guard positions (playing with 3 Guards). This year Rhody has 4 players avg 18 minutes or more at the Guard position playing with 3 Guards (I am including Thompson & Martin in those #s). Fatts is averaging 34 minutes. Ideally Jeff should be at 32 minutes and Fatts should be at 25. Thompson should be around 22. That would free up 18 minutes for a quality G like Jarvis last year.

Omar isn’t ready. We don’t know if he will be ready next year. Brendan Adams probably would’ve filled that role.

Btw, Thompson is too slow to play the 2G against most opponents.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Brendan Adams played 1 minute today vs UCF. His mom should’ve let him stay at URI. He would be getting 10+ minutes/game.
His minutes vs legit D1 in reverse order (most recent first):
UCF 1 minute
USF 5 minutes
Nova 3 minutes
FSU 8 minutes
Arizona 3 minutes
Iowa 10 minutes
Syracuse 6 minutes

UCONN graduates one G (Jalen Adams) and brings in two top recruits at G (Bouknight & Gaffney).
Gilbert and Vital will be starters again. That could put Brendan 5th at the G depth chart.
2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Another ill advised player.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think Adams probably would be doing more than what Omar has given us
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Nice get for Dayton

1 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Wow. If they can get a commitment from a decent PG, they will be dangerous for the next few years.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

reef wrote: 5 years ago I think Adams probably would be doing more than what Omar has given us
Definitely. Omar maybe deveop but Brendan would’ve played this year - backing up Fatts and Jeff.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

reef wrote: 5 years ago I think Adams probably would be doing more than what Omar has given us
Definitely. Omar maybe deveop but Brendan would’ve played this year - backing up Fatts and Jeff.
I know he hasn't played/scored a ton, but in the little I've seen of Brendan I thought he's looked decent. He seems bigger than I expected. I definitely remember thinking he looked a little more ready then some of our freshman early on. Of course part of that is likely from not having to take on a larger role like some of our guys have.
0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Kofi Cockburn picks Illinois over Pitt and UConn.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I could hear the screams from Storrs
0 x
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Brendan Adams played 1 minute today vs UCF. His mom should’ve let him stay at URI. He would be getting 10+ minutes/game.
UCF 1 minute
USF 5 minutes
Nova 3 minutes
FSU 8 minutes
Arizona 3 minutes
Iowa 10 minutes
Syracuse 6 minutes

UCONN graduates one G (Jalen Adams) and brings in two top recruits at G (Bouknight & Gaffney).
Gilbert and Vital will be starters again. That could put Brendan 5th at the G depth chart.
I think he's played more minutes there than he would have here so far. If its based solely on minutes as a freshman, I think he made the right choice.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

URIRecruitingInfo wrote: 5 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Brendan Adams played 1 minute today vs UCF. His mom should’ve let him stay at URI. He would be getting 10+ minutes/game.
UCF 1 minute
USF 5 minutes
Nova 3 minutes
FSU 8 minutes
Arizona 3 minutes
Iowa 10 minutes
Syracuse 6 minutes

I think he's played more minutes there than he would have here so far. If its based solely on minutes as a freshman, I think he made the right choice.
Respectfully disagree. He would be first off the bench at PG and SG with Rhody. That was Dan’s plan for him. He was the second highest recruit of Rhody’s 2019 class. With Fatts struggling he would’ve seen in more time. Cox doesn’t have a backup PG or SG that is ready to play. Brendan would have easily got 15-20 minutes per game. You do realize in the last three games he has averaged 3 minutes. Hard to get less than that. Omar is averaging 8 minutes in his last three games and avg 8 for the season.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

UCF 1 minute
USF 5 minutes
Nova 3 minutes
FSU 8 minutes
Arizona 3 minutes
Iowa 10 minutes
Syracuse 6 minutes

Respectfully disagree. He would be first off the bench at PG and SG with Rhody. That was Dan’s plan for him. He was the second highest recruit of Rhody’s 2019 class. With Fatts struggling he would’ve seen in more time. Cox doesn’t have a backup PG or SG that is ready to play. Brendan would have easily got 15-20 minutes per game. You do realize in the last three games he has averaged 3 minutes. Hard to get less than that. Omar is averaging 8 minutes in his last three games and avg 8 for the season.
Totally agree, he would be playing solid minutes here and we could use him.
0 x
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

UCF 1 minute
USF 5 minutes
Nova 3 minutes
FSU 8 minutes
Arizona 3 minutes
Iowa 10 minutes
Syracuse 6 minutes

Dan's plan and his HS ranking are irrelevant, he hasn't played well in mostly garbage time minutes against low level D1 buy game opponents.
0 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Dan's plan and his HS ranking are irrelevant, he hasn't played well in mostly garbage time minutes against low level D1 buy game opponents.
I've never played college basketball so I may not know what I'm talking about, but I would think that if he stayed at URI, he would have been taking more meaningful reps at practice and more playing time during games which may equate to better play. The difference of 3 minutes a game vs 8 minutes a game (his current PT vs Omar's current PT) alone seems like it would have a positive impact on a players development.

Also would have loved to see him on this team.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Who are we looking at in this game?
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago Who are we looking at in this game?
Myles Stute 6’5” SF from Gonzaga. 2020 4 star recruit rated #98.
Ty stayed behind after Richmond game Weds. He was also out recruiting on Monday in DC area when team was in Richmond.
1 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Sure but sometimes guys need to play (and play consistently) to get the best out of them.

I'll give you two local examples of this, looking just at efficiency stats:

Terry Rozier - Celtics
20+ minutes per game - 25 games, 39.8% FG, 38% 3, 78% FT
Less than 20 - 16 games, 35.1% FG, 30% 3, 76.9% FT

Makai Ashton-Langford - Friars
15+ minutes per game - 6 games, 55.6% FG (20-36), 76.9% 3 (10-13), 60% FT (6-10)
Less than 15 - 7 games, 20% FG (3-15), 0% 3 (0-7) , 100% FT (2-2)

It's hard to grade some people just because of what they do in garbage time or in limited minutes. Some players just play better when they have time to get in the flow of the game and not have to worry about a short leash. It's a confidence thing.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Ty stayed behind after Richmond game Weds. He was also out recruiting on Monday in DC area when team was in Richmond.
Have we offered?
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

If you want to see some of the top teams and players (19s & 20s). The Hoop Hall Classic is MLK weekend in Springfield. All the college coaches will be there.

URI recruits playing:
Rhody has made offers to all of these players
2020s
Earl Timberlake DeMatha
Cameron Thomas Oak Hill
Hassan Diarra Putnam Science Academy
Demarr Langford PSA
Kareem Reid PSA
Richie Springs MacDuffie
Toelon Martin Putnam High School (Springfield)
2021s
Terrence Clarke Brewster Academy

http://www.hoophall.com/index.php/event ... c/schedule
Last edited by Rhody83 5 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Link to all the top players participating

http://www.hoophall.com/events/spalding ... and-teams/
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago
Have we offered?
Yes
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Watching some of Brewster Academy vs NMH. Walker doesn’t start for Brewster. He has to be pissed that he moved to NH and doesn’t get significant minutes. Probably should have stayed home or gone somewhere else. He doesn’t look happy.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

UCF 1 minute
USF 5 minutes
Nova 3 minutes
FSU 8 minutes
Arizona 3 minutes
Iowa 10 minutes
Syracuse 6 minutes

Brendan Adams last two games
SMU did not play
Cincy did not play

Seems to be going in the wrong direction. As other Fr are getting more playing time deeper into the season (Martin & Tate) Adams is riding the bench.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Adams likely won't play in games where UConn keeps it close and has a chance to win, like last night.

Adams their senior has played like crap until the last 2 games....if he plays well that just keeps the freshman on the bench.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

His mother must be pissed.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago Adams likely won't play in games where UConn keeps it close and has a chance to win, like last night.

Adams their senior has played like crap until the last 2 games....if he plays well that just keeps the freshman on the bench.
We know Hurley plays three Guards.
Jalen Adams and Smith graduate. Hurley committed to Bouknight and Gaffney immediate playing time.
Gilbert and Vital aren’t going anywhere and will play 35 mins/game.
Then you add in that Sid Wilson 6’7” G (redshirt Fr) has avg 17 mins/game in the last five games (while Brendan sits).
Let’s not forget that their top recruit Akok plays outside - the stretch 4 or 3.
If Hurley lives up to his commitment of playing time to Bouknight and Gaffney, Brendan Adams will not see playing time next year.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Watching some of Brewster Academy vs NMH. Walker doesn’t start for Brewster. He has to be pissed that he moved to NH and doesn’t get significant minutes. Probably should have stayed home or gone somewhere else. He doesn’t look happy.
Turned in a good game today-

0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jamal Mashburn Jr
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Hopefully, Rhody has one more opening for next year (Tertsea should transfer) to use on a Post Grad shooter like this. I hope taking Mading a semester early doesn’t block a player that wants to transfer this month.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

This kid was the real deal tonight. Going to see more Hoop Hall Classic action tomorrow. Unfortunately the start is delayed and Brewster Academy didn’t make the trip.

0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

83, I watched him last week against a NYC high school team that was overmatched vs Our Savior. He is ridiculously good, but crazily he has reclassified twice and I believe is an 18 year old sophomore. He has a HM body and skill set already, I really don't know why he would reclass let alone twice. He looks like he is playing against kids, and many times he is. The school he attends is also odd, in that they cannot play PSAL or NYC schools really, or else those schools could lose eligibility. They play a national schedule against other 'made for basketball' type schools.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago 83, I watched him last week against a NYC high school team that was overmatched vs Our Savior. He is ridiculously good, but crazily he has reclassified twice and I believe is an 18 year old sophomore. He has a HM body and skill set already, I really don't know why he would reclass let alone twice. He looks like he is playing against kids, and many times he is. The school he attends is also odd, in that they cannot play PSAL or NYC schools really, or else those schools could lose eligibility. They play a national schedule against other 'made for basketball' type schools.
It is essentially a prep school. At least 4 kids in the starting line up are D1 college talent.
According to the experts he has really developed his basketball skills in the last 6 months.
If he stays as a ‘21, he could go straight to the NBA and never play a college game.
The last reclass may have been due to academics.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I went to games at the Hoop Hall Classic in Springfield the last two days. Watched 5 games. I didn’t get to see any Rhody recruits because of the timing of those games (not missing Pats game for that).

Some observations from today:
McEachern (#2) vs Rancho Christian (#15)
Remember the name Sharife Cooper (‘20). 6’0” PG. He was the best player in the games I saw. Most likely will go to Auburn.
MeEachern HS (GA) was the best team. I would think all 5 starters will play D1. They least recruiting attention has been paid th Alyn Breed and he is very good. May reclass to ‘20. They plyed the Mobley brothers (going to USC) and smoked them.

Montverde vs Sierra Canyon (CA)
Montverde won by 20+. Never a contest. Koprivica 7’1” going to FSU (with MeLeod) was the best in this game. Precious Achiuwa (top UConn target) really struggled. He had 1 point with 4 minutes left on 0-10 shooting & 5 TOs. He has a college body. Hurley was courtside watching. He played well in their game on Saturday. I like Omar Payne 6’9” (Florida) he was backup to Koprivica. Sierra Canyon had Scotty Pippen Jr and Kenyon Martin Jr. The best thing they have going for them in their name. Neither played well. Best player by far for Sierra was Cassius Stanley ranked #28. His father is sports agent Jerome Stanley.

9:00 AM game Paul VI HS (VA) vs Shadow Mountain. Didn’t see. Boswell has watched them this month.

Sunday
Woodstock Academy vs CBD Montverde (2nd team)
Tre Mitchell 6’9 (ND & UConn on his list) was a monster. Great size/college body. Polished moves down low. Dominated. Noah Fernandes (one time Rhody prospect) who committed to the Shockers struggled. He doesn’t look like a full time D1 player. His is short also. Woodstock won easily and he had 4 points.

Whitney Young vs Maret (DC)
Maret was solid. No Rhody coach there so I assume no prospects.

Putnam Science played during Pats game. They have three Rhody prospects in Diarra, Reid & Langford (MAL’s Brother). I heard that Diarra played well and Ty Boswell was there.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Keep struggling, Precious! Make UNC have second thoughts about getting you!

Not that I actually think that will work- they seem to be his favorite at the moment...and for that reason, I’d disagree that he’s UConn’s top target. They’d take him in a heartbeat with their last spot, but recruiting is a two-way street.

Tre Mitchell’s recruitment has been interesting. Starting in the early Fall, he was said to be a lock for Notre Dame, and his verbal was supposedly coming any day. Then, it just didn’t. He’s a candidate to reclassify to 2020.
Last edited by ace 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Had a nice discussion with Dan Hurley at halftime of Montverde game. He was there with two Assistants watching Precious
1 x