Diamond Head Classic

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: Diamond Head Classic

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

It's not the tournament's fault we didn't play TCU
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago Crappy opponents, poor tv exposure, bad start times, playing a team on its home court, long travel, inconsistent play by team, loss to lower level team, etc... This tournament has pretty much sucked for URI and its fans in nearly all aspects except for the non game time spent in HI that those who traveled there got.

Completely awful take.

First off, we’re not an at large team this year - nor was that ever in the cards. SOS or big name opponents mean nothing to us this year.

Second, if we want any hope at an NCAA run - losses in neutral site tournament games will help teach lessons these young guys will need in March.

Third, the fact that our young guys get a week together with just themselves in a basketball setting and minimum outside distractions is going to pay huge dividends later in this season and next.

You take any tournament that will have you when you’re a young team, you take the national exposure, you take being one of a few games played across the country in your time slot on Christmas Day, and you love it.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Bah humbug.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I don't have any problems with the schedule this year as our at large chances were very slim entering season

Next year when we have a better chance for at large is when you want the schedule to be better
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

What a great tournament. Hopefully URI is working on returning there for another stellar field.
;)
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Game #9 resulted in a Colorado 68-53 win over Charlotte to secure 7th place for the Buffalos. Charlotte has the dubious of being the tournament's winless team.

In Game #10 ,URI could not overcome some poor shooting and lost to host Hawaii, 68-60.

In Game #11, Bucknell led from wire to wire to rout UNLV, 97-72.

The Championship game is now underway between Indiana State and TCU with the Horned Frogs favored to win.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Game #12, the Championship game. was easily won by TCU over Indiana State. 97-72. The TCU success in Honolulu moves their record to 11-1 and certainly will move them up in the national rankings. TCU has another scheduled game in Hawaii - versus Hawaii Pacific - before heading back to the mainland. How real TCU is will come early in the new year when they travel to Kansas on January 9. Just too bad that URI didn't get a chance to play the Horned Frogs.
2 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

What I've seen as a whole throughout the tournament is that URI appeared to struggle defensively. In my opinion, Rhody's defense over the years has been a big catalyst for the teams success and has even added to the offensive point totals. Lets just think about the Cyril miss when he was rejected by the rim while he was alone coming down the lane or the Down missed dunk. Think about how on every little shooting or shot-fake motion these guys are all jumping out of the gym and allowing open shots for the opposition. I saw Bucknell & Hawaii guards repeatedly beating the people marking them, which forced a big guy to help out, but even the big guy would over commit which allowed the ball to be kicked out to the open shooter on the perimeter. I'd see two people running to stop the ball handler in the line and both trying to run back out to the perimeter to stop the outside shot. URI big guys were getting beat for rebound position.
This is just my opinion. I watched the Charlotte & Hawaii games and kept thinking to myself how both of those teams wouldn't normally sniff more than the mid-50pt range never mind the 60s against our defense if it was last year's team. In my opinion, they look how a young team typically looks when it's mostly made of Freshman & Sophomores. They appear to have a ton of work to do defensively. I think their positioning & footwork could use a lot of work as well as their discipline. No more jumping 2 - 3ft in the air on a shot fake or a big guy jumping off the ground to block a shot on a guard 1ft shorter than him. If they perform better on even just a few more possessions it could take 6 points off the board for the opposition and add 6 points to Rhody's total.
On the plus side, Martin is finally becoming a little more comfortable shooting from 3pt land. I've been waiting to see him emerge. He could be a real x-factor if he gets hot offensively. It always appeared to me that Dan built the team with a "defense first" mentality. I think as the defense improves, so will their confidence and so will their shooting along with it.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I expected a drop off defensively after losing DH as that's what he is known for coaching up man to man defense

Fatts really gets abused at times on the defensive end because of his size and he goes for steals a lot and doesn't get them
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

reef wrote: 5 years ago I expected a drop off defensively after losing DH as that's what he is known for coaching up man to man defense

Fatts really gets abused at times on the defensive end because of his size and he goes for steals a lot and doesn't get them
.......exactly, this for me is the noticeable difference in the team this year......hopefully we will not become one of those teams where defense is not a real priority......especially in A-10 conference games on the road......without any body of work as head coach, we really don’t know how DC sees and teaches defense, other than giving it coach speak lip service..... final note here, kudos for Stone Freeman filling in for a Steve and Don, gave the hand full of us good word pictures of the games, stats etc......fine job Stone, thanks...
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

Langevine and Dowtin can play for just about anybody.
Harris has potential and is decent for 1st year. The other frosh look like D2 players.
This is basically a 2 man team (sometimes 4 show up).
Best off with Preston and Thompson out there. At least they have a chance.
The frosh (Harris excluded) should be in witness protection program.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Hal Kopp wrote: 5 years ago Langevine and Dowtin can play for just about anybody.
Harris has potential and is decent for 1st year. The other frosh look like D2 players.
This is basically a 2 man team (sometimes 4 show up).
Best off with Preston and Thompson out there. At least they have a chance.
The frosh (Harris excluded) should be in witness protection program.
hahaha D2 players??!! Do you even watch the games? Tyrese Martin has been the best freshman this year.
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Ahhhh you're one of those I just look at the stats guys. Gotcha. Tyrese Martin is far from a D2 player. It's going to be fun when this freshman class proves all the haters on here wrong.
5 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

I'm not sure what to make of our freshman class so far. Harris has shown he has the skill set to be a dominant player in the A10, would have thought he'd be more explosive around the basket, Martin has been the most impressive freshman to me, he's got great size and athleticism, excited to see him for the next 4 years. Tate seems to be a player with no position, for someone 6'7", he seems to small to play underneath (especially on defense) and not quick enough to play on the perimeter. Omar looks like he'll be a role player, would like to see him knock down some of the open looks he gets, seems to be a little slow to guard at this level.

The freshman will certainly get plenty of minute this year so there should be no doubt what we have in the class by the end of the conference play.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think the class is overrated from what we thought we were getting

JH and Martin have potential to be very good and we need them to keep improving
2 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Hey Hal--do all of us a favor and stay off this board. You may know a little bit about URI football but you obviously do not know anything about bball.

Get lost ASAP.
2 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Very disappointing tournament for URI. It looked like they had turned a corner winning 3 of 4 including the WVU victory. To finish in 6th with a the lone victory over Charlotte is a let down no matter what your expectations were coming into the season. I had Rhody at 7-5 in non-conference so this is about what I expected but thought we would lose to the likes of WVU and TCU not Stony Brook, Bucknell and Hawaii.
3 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

reef wrote: 5 years ago I think the class is overrated from what we thought we were getting

So does Dana. He has a soft touch, solid handle, and range out to the 3 pt line. I wouldn't count him out. I don't see Omar being anything but a role player off the bench but Dana, Jermaine, and Tyrese will do big things for this program.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Eli-looks like I am not the only one who sees this.
I have heard worse from a college coach on "the 4 horsemen" (the frosh).
I am not being facetious.
My observations are too uncanny and sources reliable for me to stay off this board.
The "4 horsemen" were a top recruiting class. They will need major improvement (I hate to say it).
Would you like to make a donation to the lights and turf project for Meade upgrade?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

If we end up with one star and a couple of solid starters out of this class, that's about all you can ask for.

That's in another year or 2.....I think they are on track to do just that.

Remember, not too many people though Cyril and Jeff were going to turn out as well as they have, back when they were freshmen.
3 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Harris and Martin are both going to be stars. And Tate is going to be a glue guy, Swiss Army knife type who can do a little bit of everything.

Back to the performance, biggest issue on defense that I am seeing are the defensive rotations and help principles. I can remember handful of times I saw Cyril and Jermaine closing out (late) on a shooter, together. So not only 2 guys instead of 1 but also our 2 best rebounders. That is not by design and is poor communication and chemistry on defense. We are forcing turnovers, as much as we did last year, but in the half court our defense is not as strong as it was. I think with more court awareness from FR, and then more time the units play together this will improve. We have the makings of a strong defensive team, and we will need to be to win games bc I don’t see this team as capable of putting up 70-75 every night in order to win.
2 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Hal--I stand by my statements. Others on this board who agree with you are as wrong as you are about our "4 horsemen".

Although a very small sample of other freshmen take a look at the stats of two top 50 or so local freshmen products by the name of Cole Swider and David Duke. Their stats are pretty dismal. Just to help you out a little in your research Swider plays for Nova and Duke for Practically College. For those less informed (YOU) Nova is Villanova in the Big East.
3 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

eli#10 wrote: 5 years ago Hal--I stand by my statements. Others on this board who agree with you are as wrong as you are about our "4 horsemen".

Although a very small sample of other freshmen take a look at the stats of two top 50 or so local freshmen products by the name of Cole Swider and David Duke. Their stats are pretty dismal. Just to help you out a little in your research Swider plays for Nova and Duke for Practically College. For those less informed (YOU) Nova is Villanova in the Big East.
Don't worry about Hal. He is 1-100-1 in his fake bets...
Last edited by RhodyKyle 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago Harris and Martin are both going to be stars. And Tate is going to be a glue guy, Swiss Army knife type who can do a little bit of everything.

Back to the performance, biggest issue on defense that I am seeing are the defensive rotations and help principles. I can remember handful of times I saw Cyril and Jermaine closing out (late) on a shooter, together. So not only 2 guys instead of 1 but also our 2 best rebounders. That is not by design and is poor communication and chemistry on defense. We are forcing turnovers, as much as we did last year, but in the half court our defense is not as strong as it was. I think with more court awareness from FR, and then more time the units play together this will improve. We have the makings of a strong defensive team, and we will need to be to win games bc I don’t see this team as capable of putting up 70-75 every night in order to win.
Agreed! Dana also has a ton of charisma which will help him go a long way the remainder of this year and his upperclassman years.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I watched the entire game on Christmas Day away from the crowd so I could hear and see everything
A shame to lose this game, like we did, being favored by about 6

We were down 60-58 late. One unbiased, but very knowledgeable, basketball fan entered the room I was watching in during the last 4 minutes of the game.

At about 1:14 mark, Drew Buggs drove the lane, got his shot blocked by Tyrese Martin, Hawaii got the offensive rebound and Brock Stepteau got a layup making the score 62-58 Hawaii.

Buggs had just entered the game at 1:17.

My visitor said at the time “he went right by him”. The “him” was Christion Thompson”. Buggs went by Thompson with relative ease with Thompson viewing the back of Buggs’ jersey. Martin came over to help. I’ve brought up about Thompson’s lack of defense before during this season on several occasions. He does come up with steals at a good rate but I’ve seen him get beat to the hoop by his man many times. Is this part of the defensive design? I think not. Last year Stan Robinson would have been all over Buggs if Buggs was his man. Robinson also would have been working to draw the offensive foul.
I don’t know why Thompson would not have exerted more pressure but he just got beat at a crucial time.
How many fouls are Langevine and Harris picking up because guards are looking at the backs of the jersey of the man they are assigned to?

At the 42 seconds to go mark, my visitor said “what?”. This was in response to Fatts putting up a highly contested 3 point shot. There was plenty of time left but Fatts put up a 3 point attempt that had high unlikelihood of going in with plenty of time on the game and shot clock.

Both of my Christmas visitor comments on Thompson’s defensible lapse and Fatts’ offensive lapse sum up problems with our team to date.

I have not seen the defensive intensity of last season, especially from Thompson, but also the entire team has not had the same intensity. They go for steals, but don’t try to draw offensive fouls or move their feet as last season. Too many guards beating our guards to the lane. I have not seen Cox demand defensive intensity nor get on individuals for defensive misses. Not like past years. This includes opponents getting wide open looks at threes.

As for Fatts, I saw Fatts shoot the 3 very well in AAU ball. I know he can shoot FTs and 3’s well. But what is happening this year is Fatts has forced too many shots. He either has a man too tightly guarding him or he shoots off balance or both. He is not getting set up well for 3’s but instead trying to create his 3 point attempt by himself off the dribble.

As many have said, Dowtin needs the keys to the car handed to him. This is his team to lead and to be the point guard of. Fatts should not have been trying an off balance, tightly defended 3 with 42 seconds to go. Somebody had to be in a better position to shoot.

Thompson and others must step up the defensive effort.

This is Cox’ team.

One more OOC game to go versus a bad Middle Tennessee team on our home court.

Time for Cox and team to fix all that needs fixing before Conference play begins.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......the comments on the defense are spot on......
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

What's defense but hustle?
The four horsemen can't do that?
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Hal Kopp wrote: 5 years ago What's defense but hustle?
The four horsemen can't do that?
.........yes, when playing the cover two......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I don't know what anyone else is seeing, but I see Christion Thompson playing his ass off.
3 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago At about 1:14 mark, Drew Buggs drove the lane, got his shot blocked by Tyrese Martin, Hawaii got the offensive rebound and Brock Stepteau got a layup making the score 62-58 Hawaii.

Buggs had just entered the game at 1:17.

My visitor said at the time “he went right by him”. The “him” was Christion Thompson”. Buggs went by Thompson with relative ease with Thompson viewing the back of Buggs’ jersey. Martin came over to help. I’ve brought up about Thompson’s lack of defense before during this season on several occasions. He does come up with steals at a good rate but I’ve seen him get beat to the hoop by his man many times. Is this part of the defensive design? I think not. Last year Stan Robinson would have been all over Buggs if Buggs was his man. Robinson also would have been working to draw the offensive foul.
I don’t know why Thompson would not have exerted more pressure but he just got beat at a crucial time.
How many fouls are Langevine and Harris picking up because guards are looking at the backs of the jersey of the man they are assigned to?
+ 1000

I've mentioned this before, Thompson has been beaten by his man several times on the perimeter which ends up giving up an easy basket or a foul being drawn by the help defender. Overall, I think he plays with max effort, but I expected more of a contribution from him this year, was hoping he'd fill the Stan role but so far that has not happened.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Seems like we play defense well in spurts but then collapse at the end of the shot clock .

I have seen some good defensive principles but it's not consistent enough
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Cyril is great; even better than I expected. Jeff is great and everything I expected. If you see my season prediction, this is a .500 team. The disappointment from those who saw more is surfacing. If we can all face reality and look for improvement from a team loaded with underclassmen and a rookie head coach, we can provide motivation for a better record next year and enjoy the progress we make.
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Well when we smash MTSU tomorrow to go 7-5 and then go 10-8 in a terrible A10 that's 17-13 at worst much better than .500
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I guess we will have to wait until Cox has his team in place since this is a rebuild as many say.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I trust defensive evaluation of Cox over fellow KB members. Cox sees Thompson as a strong defensive player. I didn’t see the games in Hawaii but Thompson had strong defensive games against WV and PC covering the top scorer on the floor.

To me Fatts is a defensive liability.
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago I trust defensive evaluation of Cox over fellow KB members. Cox sees Thompson as a strong defensive player. I didn’t see the games in Hawaii but Thompson had strong defensive games against WV and PC covering the top scorer on the floor.

I think Christian can be a good defender, I just don’t think he is at the level of Stan and unfortunately that is his comparison. Also remember that alongside Stan was JT who was a freakin beast.
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I agree that Thompson is not the defender Stan was. Thompson isn’t quick.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago I trust defensive evaluation of Cox over fellow KB members. Cox sees Thompson as a strong defensive player. I didn’t see the games in Hawaii but Thompson had strong defensive games against WV and PC covering the top scorer on the floor.

How do you leave defensive evaluation to Cox for Thompson but then say Fatts is a defensive liability? Shouldn’t you then also leave Fatts to Cox too?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Time to put the $hitshow that was the Diamond Head Classic trip behind us starting today.
3 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago

How do you leave defensive evaluation to Cox for Thompson but then say Fatts is a defensive liability? Shouldn’t you then also leave Fatts to Cox too?
Good point. Cox has mentioned Thompson’s great defense in several postgame interviews and coach’s shows. I have never heard Cox say that Fatts is a good defensive player.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

reef wrote: 5 years ago Well when we smash MTSU tomorrow to go 7-5 and then go 10-8 in a terrible A10 that's 17-13 at worst much better than .500
Reef, my heart is even more optimistic than your 10-8 A10 prediction. But, our record to date is without any normal amount of injuries. Your optimism is only 1 more win OOC and 1 more in A10 than my prediction. Are we splitting hairs? We are in for some bad losses now that the way to defend us is obvious. Maybe Tyrese will emerge as an outside assassin.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago I don't know what anyone else is seeing, but I see Christion Thompson playing his ass off.

Exatrly, yes he has gotten beaten on some occasions and he and MOST are not Stan Robinson- (Remeber Stan is making money in the G league and it is not for his offense)

Thompson has rebounded very well and I believe he has overall played solid defense.

I sure hope that CT takes his grad year next year here- instead of some other program!

0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

steveystuds06 wrote: 5 years ago
reef wrote: 5 years ago I think the class is overrated from what we thought we were getting

So does Dana. He has a soft touch, solid handle, and range out to the 3 pt line. I wouldn't count him out. I don't see Omar being anything but a role player off the bench but Dana, Jermaine, and Tyrese will do big things for this program.
Tate!!!! Couldn't agree more Hal... Tate definitely looks like a D2 player :lol:
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Worth revisiting the eight team field of this tournament now that the regular season is concluded. Not a single one of the participants will be playing in this year's NCAA Tournament.

Teams Record NET Postseason
TCU 20-13 #52 NIT
Colorado 21-12 #66 NIT
URI 18-15 #137 None
Bucknell 21-12 #152 None
UNLV 17-14 #157 None
Hawaii 18-13 #188 None
Indiana State 15-16 #198 None
Charlotte 8-21 #262 None
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

That lineup looks like the A10's team rankings end of year.....yuck
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Going 1-2 in that tournament was pretty bad
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

If we could have run that tournament back this week, that’s one I’d have been interested to see I think. As a benchmark, I’m pretty sure we were well clear of it by the time the season ended, even though we had to get even worse before we got better.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

Definitely should have pulled out at least one other W, at a minimum
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The 2019 Jamaica Classic is right now looking far better than the 2018 Diamond Head Classic turned out to be.

2018/19 Performance of the other two known participants
LSU and Utah State are both presently headed to the NCAA with both in the national Top 25 rankings.
LSU 26-6 / NET #14 / AP Ranked #12 / NCAA #3 Seed
Utah State 28-6 / NET #29 / AP Ranked #25 / NCAA #8 Seed

Probable better competition opponents
Four games total (versus 3 in Diamond Head Classic) which translates into maximum allowed 31 game schedule
Two Ryan Center home games which will not have to be returned
Guarantee of playing two of the other three higher profile opponents (LSU and USU) as early games outcomes do not decide Jamaica opponents
No chance to play an opponent on its home court
Jamaica same time in late Nov as here - easier viewing on CBSSN (only time diff during daylight savings which ends before event dates)
Jamaica is closer and cheaper for URI fans to travel to
1 x