12/25 | Hawaii Rainbow Warriors | 3:00 PM (ESPNU)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Re: 12/25 | Hawaii Rainbow Warriors | 3:00 PM (ESPNU)

Unread post by theblueram »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 years ago Maybe they had Dowtin not on the ball so much because he's the only real scoring threat they have right now?
Weird stat line for him today...17 pts, 2 assists, 3 TOs...

As awesome as the flight out there was, fresh off the WV win, the flight back will have to suck big time.
Lotta people that considered it...probably glad they didn't make the trip.

Where's ECR? We need some levity around these parts...
Why would you move your number one point guard off position? It's just mind boggling. If Fatts can't play the 2, then he sits. It's not rocket science.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 years ago Starting to look quite a bit like a "plenty of good seats available" season.
Rebuilding or not, you can't be giving these games away, like they did 2 of 3 here...although, maybe that's what rebuilding is.
You can buy your own section for the Midd Tennessee game. I have season tickets and have very little interest in going for a 5pm game for two bad teams
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Well that was.a big bowl of
2 x
RhodysRelevant
Lamar Odom

Unread post by RhodysRelevant »

Not going to defend his shot selection for sure, or the fact that he is playing way more on the ball than any of us would like...but i do want to point out that fatts did have 7 assists only one turnover. He is so much better when he is attacking and penetrating coach really has got to get in his ear about shot selection but i am not nearly as down on him as some on this board appear to be
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

PeteRI wrote: 5 years ago Well that was.a big bowl of
aka, a "steamer"
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RhodysRelevant wrote: 5 years ago Not going to defend his shot selection for sure, or the fact that he is playing way more on the ball than any of us would like...but i do want to point out that fatts did have 7 assists only one turnover. He is so much better when he is attacking and penetrating coach really has got to get in his ear about shot selection but i am not nearly as down on him as some on this board appear to be
I'm not down on him, but I bet his numbers are better when Jeff is distributing rather than not.
4 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

RhodysRelevant wrote: 5 years ago Not going to defend his shot selection for sure, or the fact that he is playing way more on the ball than any of us would like...but i do want to point out that fatts did have 7 assists only one turnover. He is so much better when he is attacking and penetrating coach really has got to get in his ear about shot selection but i am not nearly as down on him as some on this board appear to be
This is what a young team that is struggling looks like, some of the guys are too passive on offense and one guy is a little too agressive.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I had hoped that URI had gelled and put things together after the good Holy Cross and WVU wins. The Bucknell game showed me that this was not the case. Team regressed to bad habits of early games. That was why I was so down the other day. It was clear to me that they had not learned from their mistakes and this was a bad omen for what was to come. Coach Cox must assert himself and take command of this team. Can no longer allow free rein to players. It is not working. This team is beating itself. Very disillusioned with what I am seeing.
3 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Now that I think about it, today's game was more like this.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

DeanDome88 wrote: 5 years ago
This is what a young team that is struggling looks like, some of the guys are too passive on offense and one guy is a little too agressive.
The starting lineup is 2 Juniors, a redshirt senior, a sophomore and a freshen. not that young.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Ok Jesus.

Today sucked. Two games ago sucked. We’re a young team. Young teams make sucky mistakes.

The same people shitting on Fatts right now are the same people shitting on EC or Hassan or Jarvis their freshmen years.

I know we want to think of him as this veteran player but he’s a first year starter dealing with a new situation. Jeff is adjusting to being a leader. Cyril is adjusting to being an offensive focal point. Cox is adjusting to being a coach.

The same people calling for players to transfer and sit, are the same people who 2 years ago at this time were calling for Hurley’s head and saying we would never go to the tournament.

You are wrong. Your takes are wrong. This is what it is like to be the fan of a program that is rebuilding.

We’re going to be competitive because we’re a good team, we will be in just about every game we play - but we’re young so we’ll deal with free throw pressure differently, we’ll make dumb mistakes, and we’ll choke games away. That’s what young teams do. We are a young team. 4 of the 8 players in our rotation are true freshmen. 1 is a sophomore. The 3 “leaders” are juniors who have never been in a leadership role. The coach is brand new.

I know most of this fan base is brand new to watching how a well functioning basketball program is - but there are rebuilds where you make dumb mistakes and lose winnable games.

We used to win meaningless games against crap teams. The past 6 years we’ve got better as the year goes on. When you have a young team it takes longer.

If you are even thinking of not going to games this year you’re a terrible fan and a moron for buying tickets to watch a young team while expecting an undefeated record and NCAA 1 seed.

Christ get a hold of yourselves. See you Sunday.
7 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

So glad I was playing on the beach in Playa del Carmen and not watching the game!
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Blue Man wrote: 5 years ago
We used to win meaningless games against crap teams.
Now we lose meaningless games to crap teams.
2 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

I like Cox-super nice guy! This might be the problem. He was better suited for an assistant and recruiter. A head coach needs to get a players attention. He has not done this with Fatts. We can say that we don’t want to lose his aggressive style, but this is ridiculous now. The two shots he took down the stretch were awful. Love him or hate Hurley had the players attention.
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago
The starting lineup is 2 Juniors, a redshirt senior, a sophomore and a freshen. not that young.
Eight guys played today, four of them freshman - combining for zero assists. I think the future is brighter than the present.
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Blue Man,

Nobody is wrong whatsoever in saying Fatts’ shot selection today was pathetic.

That is 100% a fact.
Last edited by Rhody15 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I just don't want to see anyone else run point unless Jeff is taking a breather.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Eight guys played today, four of them freshman - combining for zero assists. I think the future is brighter than the present.
Who the hell liked this post about 4 freshman with zero assists?
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote: 5 years ago Ok Jesus.

Today sucked. Two games ago sucked. We’re a young team. Young teams make sucky mistakes.

The same people shitting on Fatts right now are the same people shitting on EC or Hassan or Jarvis their freshmen years.

I know we want to think of him as this veteran player but he’s a first year starter dealing with a new situation. Jeff is adjusting to being a leader. Cyril is adjusting to being an offensive focal point. Cox is adjusting to being a coach.

The same people calling for players to transfer and sit, are the same people who 2 years ago at this time were calling for Hurley’s head and saying we would never go to the tournament.

You are wrong. Your takes are wrong. This is what it is like to be the fan of a program that is rebuilding.

We’re going to be competitive because we’re a good team, we will be in just about every game we play - but we’re young so we’ll deal with free throw pressure differently, we’ll make dumb mistakes, and we’ll choke games away. That’s what young teams do. We are a young team. 4 of the 8 players in our rotation are true freshmen. 1 is a sophomore. The 3 “leaders” are juniors who have never been in a leadership role. The coach is brand new.

I know most of this fan base is brand new to watching how a well functioning basketball program is - but there are rebuilds where you make dumb mistakes and lose winnable games.

We used to win meaningless games against crap teams. The past 6 years we’ve got better as the year goes on. When you have a young team it takes longer.

If you are even thinking of not going to games this year you’re a terrible fan and a moron for buying tickets to watch a young team while expecting an undefeated record and NCAA 1 seed.

The only exception Blue Man is we are not rebuilding. This would have been the exact same lineup if Hurley stayed. So it is not a rebuild at all.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

The only exception Blue Man is we are not rebuilding. This would have been the exact same lineup if Hurley stayed. So it is not a rebuild at all.
We lost 5 players, 4 of whom were starters, and 1 key bench piece who played starting minutes.

We lost our 3 leading scorers.

We lost the leadership core that had run the team for 3-4 years.

We lost our head coach.

Every person but 1 on the URI roster this year is playing in a new role/position.

What about that is not a rebuild?
6 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

I put the situation today clearly on Cox's shoulders. Fatts is averaging 30% shooting percentage, under 20 on three's for the season- yet Cox is still letting him chuck up 15 shots a game. He is taking the shots when the ball should be going down low to our high percentage folks. Like it or not, by leaving Fatts in, Cox is subtly endorsing his play---

Today he had 15 shots, Cyril and Jermaine had 6/7. To me this is not that complicated, get Fatts down to 10 good shots a game and we solve many issues.

The next time Fatts throws up a heave at ANY time, Cox should take him out. PERIOD!!
4 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote: 5 years ago

We lost 5 players, 4 of whom were starters, and 1 key bench piece who played starting minutes.

We lost our 3 leading scorers.

We lost the leadership core that had run the team for 3-4 years.

We lost our head coach.

Every person but 1 on the URI roster this year is playing in a new role/position.

What about that is not a rebuild?
If Hurley was here would it be a rebuild?
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......yes.....it would be a rebuild
4 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 5 years ago .......yes.....it would be a rebuild
Define rebuild........................
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......sure, when the core structure and components of a system are no longer present and functioning at high level, the replacement structure and components are not sustaining the previous performance level.....
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 5 years ago
.......sure, when the core structure and components of a system are no longer present and functioning at high level, the replacement structure and components are not sustaining the previous performance level.....
So Dan Hurley left and we are in rebuild? But the players are the same. That's what you mean? Kinda like pc losing players but still making the tournament year after year because their coach is still there?
1 x
URI'21
Kenny Green

Unread post by URI'21 »

The Keaney Blue forum in a nutshell:
meme.jpg
5 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

No matter who is here this season is a rebuild. Anybody who does not realize that knows absolutely shit about basketball and should not be posting on this board.

On another subject or two Jeff should be our point guard and Fatts has to really improve his shot selection.
4 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

URI'21 wrote: 5 years ago The Keaney Blue forum in a nutshell:

meme.jpg
Yeah, right? I love how this team, today, was to be Gonzaga of the East with Hurley but is a rebuild without him.
2 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

Yeah, right? I love how this team, today, was to be Gonzaga of the East with Hurley but is a rebuild without him.
I think it was going to be a rebuild regardless. The Hurley building a Gonzaga of the East wasn't about one year, it was about building a program that is successful over the long haul.
4 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

RamStock wrote: 5 years ago I like Cox-super nice guy! This might be the problem. He was better suited for an assistant and recruiter. A head coach needs to get a players attention. He has not done this with Fatts. We can say that we don’t want to lose his aggressive style, but this is ridiculous now. The two shots he took down the stretch were awful. Love him or hate Hurley had the players attention.
Please do a search through these forums and find the thread titled "Baron 2.0". There are clear examples of Hurley making the same alleged mistakes Cox is doing. This forum sometimes makes it seem like the program if falling apart after every loss.
4 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

So Dan Hurley left and we are in rebuild? But the players are the same. That's what you mean? Kinda like pc losing players but still making the tournament year after year because their coach is still there?

what? the players are the same? EC and JT were miserable today. Berry fouled out in the first 5 minutes. Stan was a turnover machine. And Jarvis kept chucking up threes from half court!

I can't believe the ignorance in some of these posts. Why is it so hard to understand we are in a rebuild? whether dan stayed or left, we would still be in a rebuild. we lost 5 of the top 7 in our rotation. we have 4 freshman seeing fairly significant time (as opposed to 1 freshman seeing significant time last year). losing our coach doesn't make it a rebuild it adds to what has to be rebuilt.
5 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Was Fatts our primary point guard this whole tournament or just today?

You would have thought after seeing how the offense ran against West Virginia that we'd keep playing our point guard at point guard. You would have thought, but apparently Cox didn't. What is Cox not understanding?
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RhodyRam86 wrote: 5 years ago

what? the players are the same? EC and JT were miserable today. Berry fouled out in the first 5 minutes. Stan was a turnover machine. And Jarvis kept chucking up threes from half court!

I can't believe the ignorance in some of these posts. Why is it so hard to understand we are in a rebuild? whether dan stayed or left, we would still be in a rebuild. we lost 5 of the top 7 in our rotation. we have 4 freshman seeing fairly significant time (as opposed to 1 freshman seeing significant time last year). losing our coach doesn't make it a rebuild it adds to what has to be rebuilt.
Thanks for the laugh. pc has a record of 10-3 with 2 redshirt seniors. We have 1. They have 4 freshmen in Monroe,Duke, Reeves and Nichols. So do we. In Martin, Harris, Silverio and Tate. I guess pc is in rebuild. Cause they have 4 freshman. GTFOH.
1 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Who the hell liked this post about 4 freshman with zero assists?
BlueRam. I have a question for you. Which of our upperclassmen is not performing up to your expectations? Jeff Dowtin, Cyril Langevine, and Chrisiton Thompson are all meeting my expecations. The other players are underclassmen. Fatts is trying to do more than he is able to do but it's a fine line between pushing yourself to the limit of your ability and trying to do too much. I'm not going to give him shit for trying to fill a void.
2 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

BleedBlue87 wrote: 5 years ago
RamStock wrote: 5 years ago I like Cox-super nice guy! This might be the problem. He was better suited for an assistant and recruiter. A head coach needs to get a players attention. He has not done this with Fatts. We can say that we don’t want to lose his aggressive style, but this is ridiculous now. The two shots he took down the stretch were awful. Love him or hate Hurley had the players attention.
Please do a search through these forums and find the thread titled "Baron 2.0". There are clear examples of Hurley making the same alleged mistakes Cox is doing. This forum sometimes makes it seem like the program if falling apart after every loss.
It is a valid comment on both Fatts and Cox at this point. I didn’t expect this team to be dominate and make the tourney, but there is no discipline and especially with Fatts. This is big time division one basketball and people get criticized when they don’t produce. Fatts loves and eats up the attention when things are going well so he will have to live with where he is at now. It is early in Cox’s coaching career, but people who don’t even follow URI have asked “what’s up with this Fatts guy, does he have freedom to do anything. It was a real undisciplined effort by Fatts and Cox today.
0 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

For those somehow coming to the conclusion we are not a rebuild here is a stat via Kenpom - 1.26 years of experience, 299th in the country.
3 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

@ramstock, I agree that Fatts has had the run of the mill but there are plenty of times where Hurley let EC do whatever he want even when there were stretched of EC playing like shit. I just find it hard for someone to say Hurley never made this mistake because he has.
1 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

BleedBlue87 wrote: 5 years ago @ramstock, I agree that Fatts has had the run of the mill but there are plenty of times where Hurley let EC do whatever he want even when there were stretched of EC playing like shit. I just find it hard for someone to say Hurley never made this mistake because he has.
There are plenty of posts in this forum that called for EC to be benched and used as the 6th man.
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

BleedBlue87 wrote: 5 years ago
BleedBlue87 wrote: 5 years ago @ramstock, I agree that Fatts has had the run of the mill but there are plenty of times where Hurley let EC do whatever he want even when there were stretched of EC playing like shit. I just find it hard for someone to say Hurley never made this mistake because he has.
There are plenty of posts in this forum that called for EC to be benched and used as the 6th man.
I by no means an a big Hurley supporter. I think he does a good job of building a program and is a good recruiter, but not a very good X's and o's guy. Cox has to change his ways with Fatts and do whatever is best for the team. I think people are completely sick of watching Fatts Russell. I think we have had higher hopes than we should have with him.
0 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

I agree. I still think Fatts should start but JD be at point. Try to feed it to the bigs more and have Fatts penetrate.
3 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

One comment about earlier the Friar mention--their 6th man and sometime starter Isiah Jackson will be 24 years old in February. How much of an edge is that when he goes against 19 and 20 year old players?
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Thanks for the laugh. pc has a record of 10-3 with 2 redshirt seniors. We have 1. They have 4 freshmen in Monroe,Duke, Reeves and Nichols. So do we. In Martin, Harris, Silverio and Tate. I guess pc is in rebuild. Cause they have 4 freshman. GTFOH.

yes...PC is in a rebuild. their freshman are performing better than ours. their freshman class was ranked higher than ours. they returned arguably their best player from last year and their head coach so there is a bit more stability. they've played 1 true road game compared to our 4. not all rebuilds are the same. PC lost at home to UMASS. the same UMASS team that lost at home to Holy Cross. The same Holy Cross team that lost at home to URI. one constant among rebuilding teams is that they are inconsistent.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

yes...PC is in a rebuild. their freshman are performing better than ours. their freshman class was ranked higher than ours. they returned arguably their best player from last year and their head coach so there is a bit more stability. they've played 1 true road game compared to our 4. not all rebuilds are the same. PC lost at home to UMASS. the same UMASS team that lost at home to Holy Cross. The same Holy Cross team that lost at home to URI. one constant among rebuilding teams is that they are inconsistent.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Just saw the score .. we lost to Hawaii ?!?

Hawaii ??!)

Bahaha

WE SUCK

Please spare me the let’s look on the bright side you fools have been spewing

No way under Hurley we be this bad w the same roster

No way

What a joke
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Fatts has the same number of successful threes as Jeff Dowtin on 30 more attempts
1 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

check out the NET rankings blueram. win vs. HC is considered a road win. I was wrong however about PC. they actually have two road wins...at BC and Texas
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

This whole year stinks

I am glad I didn’t see this one

And fatts is not a good shooter - never has been - so I’m not really surprised there

We gotta turn this around - my goodness
0 x
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Unread post by Not Mike Powell »

Just watch the games and shut up.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 5 years ago Just saw the score .. we lost to Hawaii ?!?

Hawaii ??!)

Bahaha

WE SUCK

Please spare me the let’s look on the bright side you fools have been spewing

No way under Hurley we be this bad w the same roster

No way

What a joke
Surely you have more than this...
1 x