12/22|Bucknell Bison|10PM ESPN3

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Re: 12/22|Bucknell Bison|10PM ESPN3

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

We will agree to disagree

you can’t lose to patriot power bucknell

Hit a FT my goodness
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago
eli#10 wrote: 5 years ago
RF1 wrote: 5 years ago If Thomspon doesn't contribute again like tonight, he needs to see the bench. 0-4 from the field with zero points, just 4 rebounds, and 4 fouls. Got beat on D several times. A complete non factor in this game on both sides of the ball. If he doesn't add much, time to start playing for the future and get the freshmen more PT.
Can't agree more with this. Very poor game especially on the defensive end and he really hardly saw the ball on offense. He certainly did not look like he wanted the ball in his hands.
Moore easily drove past Thompson more than once. As much as his offense wasn’t there tonight the defense was worse. Cox has to see this and adjust with Martin or Tate. In the last important minute Tate was in and Thompson on the bench - and this in sclutch time. I’d start Martin for Thompson tomorrow with Tate 1st off bench.

No reason we should lose to Bucknell.
Moore tied a career high in points and had a career high in rebounds with 7. He should give CT a nice Christmas present for allowing him to set those records do easily. Too many times Moore went past CT easily and a couple times while Tate was on him too.
Defensive effort was there from Dowtin, Langevine, Russell and To some extent Martin
Time for Martin to take CTs spot in the starting line up.
If not Martin then I’d settle for Tate after his 3-3 on 3FGs but his Defense needs improvement.
Time to get two freshmen in the starting group
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 5 years ago We will agree to disagree

you can’t lose to patriot power bucknell

Hit a FT my goodness
You’re acting like Bucknell is Bryant. They aren’t. That’s a good program and a good, well coached team. I was super impressed with their talent level for, as you said, a Patriot League team. Sotos could definitely play at a much higher level, and all their secondary guys (Toomer, Moore, Sestina) held their own and seem very likely to dominate their league.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago
ElmCityRhody wrote: 5 years ago Not mad we lost ?

I am PISSED OFF we lost to patriot league bucknell

What piss poor loss

Hit an eFFIN FT my goodness

SAME OLD RAMS

emBARONsing

Twice we had great coaches leave us and twice we replace w a head without any college head coaching experience

Losing to bucknell is a joke

HARRABLE
I think I made the point after there was a mini-meltdown after the Charleston loss - if we are going to react this way to every loss then it’s going to be a LOOONG year. This is a young, inexperienced team and it’s going to lose some games that we’ve gotten accustomed to winning the last several years. The stakes aren’t very high, fortunately, this year is mostly about growth so we can return to the level we’ve been at next year. Getting bent out of shape over imperfect performances this year is going to be a tremendous waste of energy. It’s going to happen plenty this season.
This is true in terms of it being a year about the freshman growing and hopefully giving us an opportunity for next year. After seeing West Virginia’s score I am not convinced that they are very good. It is just tough for most fans to get up for a game like today’s vs Charlotte. Last year was just such a great season and this one has the feel of many meaningless games with an empty Ryan center that doesn’t matter if we win or lose. Hopefully the freshman continue to mesh with the upperclassmen and we have a shot at being an ncaa team next season. It is tough to believe this will happen unless we get much better shooting.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Our 3 best players shot 10-21 from the FT line.

This loss isn't on the freshmen.

Our other experienced player CT didn't show up.

Yes Cox should have told the guys to work the ball inside more since we had an advantage there, but I'm not going to say bad coaching beat us.
4 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago
The Dude wrote: 5 years ago Really bad foul call on Tate towards the end. The guy was losing the ball before any arm contact. I don't agree with not calling a time out at the end to draw something up. Dowtin had two people around him. They could've won the game. Bucknell looks like they could be a decent team going forward and they had some key offensive rebounds. Such a shame to lose to them though.
All in all the referring seemed ok. Tate call was questionable.
But what was that flagrant foul called early in the game that the refs went back and replayed? The announcers saw nothing and neither did I. Coaches did not show strong reactions.
I asked this very question to Bill Koch. His response:

0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

In addition to Free throws, defensive (or Bucknell bring out of their minds) killed us. They scored 49 second half points! We scored 82 points. And usually that’s enough for us to win.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

If we are to become a better shooting team, it will up to the freshmen to get us there.

We pretty much know what we have with our experienced players.

And what we have is too much inconsistency. And that includes FT shooting.

To be honest, has URI ever had what people would consider a very good FT shooting team? It seems like this problem plagues us year in and year out.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......any captured post game comments from the Coach on the not using the last possession time out?.......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

section(105) wrote: 5 years ago .......any captured post game comments from the Coach on the not using the last possession time out?.......
Ask Bill Koch if he was able to ask him this in his post game conference. :lol:
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Bucknell a “quality loss”

NOT BUYING IT
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

We lost it on the defensive end, forced minimal TOs and allowed them too many downhill drive and kick opps to open threes. FTs are the easiest thing to blame but I pin this one on defensive execution- bad rotations, beat on dribble drives.
4 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

When I say you can't leave a timeout in your pocket, I'm not not necessarily referring to the last play. It could have been used some time in the last minute or so. Discuss 'if this happens, we're going to do this' or 'if that happens, we're going to do that' type of stuff, especially with a young inexperienced team. The outcome might have not been different, but it couldn't have hurt ...a teaching moment.
4 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago We lost it on the defensive end, forced minimal TOs and allowed them too many downhill drive and kick opps to open threes. FTs are the easiest thing to blame but I pin this one on defensive execution- bad rotations, beat on dribble drives.

I’d add that there were several plays that Bucknell would drive and I think they could have dished for an easy layup, but instead kicked out for a wide open three. I don’t think we had anything covered.

TP: this is like the 3rd or 4th post Ive has to fix this morning because a poster messed up the quoting. It really isn’t that hard. Please be more careful if you’re going to edit the thing you’re quoting. Not singling 86 out here - he is far from the first. Just a PSA to pay attention to what you delete if you want to clip the post you’re quoting.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago When I say you can't leave a timeout in your pocket, I'm not not necessarily referring to the last play. It could have been used some time in the last minute or so. Discuss 'if this happens, we're going to do this' or 'if that happens, we're going to do that' type of stuff, especially with a young inexperienced team. The outcome might have not been different, but it couldn't have hurt ...a teaching moment.
........yes, this.....
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 5 years ago Bucknell a “quality loss”

NOT BUYING IT
Quality loss is a phrase that should go away. There is no such thing. So on that point, we agree. But to the extent a concept like that has any relevancy, it is with respect to your at-large resume and that really isn’t something we should be worried about this season. It’d be nice to win every game, but the reality is that isn’t happening this year. This isn’t the last time we will lose a game you feel we “should” win.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 5 years ago Not mad we lost ?

I am PISSED OFF we lost to patriot league bucknell

What piss poor loss

Hit an eFFIN FT my goodness

SAME OLD RAMS

emBARONsing

Twice we had great coaches leave us and twice we replace w a head without any college head coaching experience

Losing to bucknell is a joke

HARRABLE
Calm down, get some rest. Late one tonight.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 5 years ago TP I get your point but I am sorry - I don’t understand how one cannot be mad a losing to bucknell

And I was right there cheering along Tate but long term I rather have an inside presence than having him take 3s

I haven’t seen anything from Tate to tell me he can battle inside in the limited amount of games I have seen
Melting down after every single loss is going to wear you out. Chillax. Try not to take it so personal.
It's not like they did it to you on purpose (or, that they care that you are having a conniption.)
1 x
Rhody1992
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Rhody1992 »

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago Projo sends no staff member to Hawaii to cover the three games. URI played four total OOC away games (Charleston-SC and Honolulu-Hawaii) outside New England and not one was covered first hand by the state's largest newspaper. Just two actual trips in total. PC, on the other hand, plays two OOC away games outside New England and they send someone to both games in Annapolis-MD and Austin-Texas.
While I do agree with you, Koch should be on the road with URI and McNamara should be on the road with PC; Wichita State and Texas are FAR more high profile program names/brands than College of Charlston and Bucknell. More buzz.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Bucknell is a good Patriot level team,but let's not make them into something they are not - this is a team that failed to defend their home court against the likes of Fairfield, Canisius, and Northeastern with the latter applying a 18 point drubbing. No one can rationalize URI's poor defensive effort of the second half allowing Bucknell to improve its offensive attack some 60% above that of the first half. For those of us who bought the tonic that this is a new day for URI where we can withstand the changes that occur from season to season because we now have a established upper echelon A-10 program, this was a disappointing loss.
6 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

To me it was the 'D'. We seemed to lack discipline; once they penetrated, guys were left wide open for threes. Yes they made them but very few were contested. And yes Thompson seemed either injured or just slow; couldn't stop his guy and little contribution on offense. Unfortunately need to play the freshmen if this continues.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Obadiah wrote: 5 years ago Bucknell is a good Patriot level team,but let's not make them into something they are not - this is a team that failed to defend their home court against the likes of Fairfield, Canisius, and Northeastern with the latter applying a 18 point drubbing. No one can rationalize URI's poor defensive effort of the second half allowing Bucknell to improve its offensive attack some 60% above that of the first half. For those of us who bought the tonic that this is a new day for URI where we can withstand the changes that occur from season to season because we now have a established upper echelon A-10 program, this was a disappointing loss.
I still think the stonybrook game is the only embarrassing loss this season - AT HOME! Funny stuff happens in these early season tourneys, Bucknell is not a great team but they can shoot well and beat a good team on a given night. Win out from here boys!
2 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

I appreciate the intelligent long-time posters takes on this game. But let's not lose sight of the fact that Bucknell lost their previous game to St. Mary's, with an RPI of 135 by 30 points.

Our defense was atrocious. Bucknell is not Duke, yet we gave up 49 points to them in the second half. That is inexcusable and is due entirely to poor effort and coaching.

Look, I love this program and this team. But if they continue to lose regularly to inferior opponents this first-time season ticket holder is going to be pissed I spent $600+ on season tickets.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

I still love everyone on this board cas they are true RHODY fans

I live out of state and been following RHODY hoops loyally since the projo days

I even tried out for the mascot when I was at school

So just cas I demand better than losing to a patriot league “powerhouse” to me isn’t anything to apologize for

We shoujd all show the heart and passion and expect better

I saw JH yesterday / he needs more HEART

Demand the basketball
2 x
R.Kelly150
Kenny Green

Unread post by R.Kelly150 »

Tough loss for the program, URI has to beat Patriot league teams. Lets consider this our version of a P5 team playing a non P5 team, you lose you suck and if you win big F'ing deal! URI is going to be up and down all season; unfortunately its not going to change for the better. It really doesn't matter until the A-10 Tourney as there is definitely no at-large bid consideration for this URI team. The only way that could maybe have worked was with a 9-3 OOC, including wins over WV and TCU... that's not happening anymore. So lets just continue to mature as a team and as a first time head coach and lets hope they finish with a bye for the a-10 tourney and somehow catch lighting in a bottle and win it all. It's going to get better next season, lets just embrace the learning process and move on!
1 x
Phen Egap
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Phen Egap »

Well said.
To respond to a previous comment, we’ve been season ticket holders for over 10 years and fans through thick and thin, and there have been some thin.
1 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

I am floored by the expectations that some of the fans have for this team. This team is inexperienced with little depth. We are unlikely to see consistent performances.
1 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

My expectations are that we show steady improvement due to the number of minutes the freshmen are playing. Shit happens just like last night. I get it. I wish I had a replay to take a closer look at the defense and the performance of CT. As someone mentioned earlier I wonder if he was ill but it seemed he was almost not interested.
0 x
Dowtinsavestheworld
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Dowtinsavestheworld »

First time poster. I agree with Rkelly that at large is out of the question. The A10 is down this year so would have been hard as at large anyway. I went to school during Jim Baron years and our talent now is so much better. I am thrilled with this team. We have athletes all over the court. Dowtin is my favorite URI player ever and is a leader and a winner.
Harris looks lost but he will come around and we need him to be any good. Martin looks way better than I expected and the sky is the limit. Tate has a great shot and will be good.
The team plays hard for the most part just needs to play a full game and continue to move the ball and run actual offense. I watched uconn the other day and Hurley offense is no better. He gets his players to play hard and so will Dowtin.
Enjoy this team, they are fun, and remember the horrible years.
2 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Defensively, URI didn't play well enough in the second half. They still scored over 80 points which would usually be good enough to beat most teams. I do have to give Bucknell some credit. They hit their shots and got some key offensive rebounds.
1 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

I think people are confusing a few things. First, Bucknell didn't beat URI. URI beat itself. Defense wasn't there in the second half. Second, Bucknell isn't a terrible team. Apparently we think the A-10 is some P5 program. Losses like this happen to the very best teams. Let's not abandon ship because of it. Some of you here jumped on the bandwagon under Hurley and I welcome that but please understand you came during the good years. There are occasionally bad years too...
4 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Cyril - Dowtin - Fatts

and we can’t beat Bucknell ?

I don’t want to hear anything about freshmen

We are URI - we had a top 40 (?) recruiting class

Enough w excuses

I don’t care what year it is - we are setting the bar very low if we aren’t mad about a loss to... what for it... Bucknell !.. my goodness
4 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

I’m just here for the hot takes, tbh

Keep them coming, I’m dying over here.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I am with those that say we basically lost the game at the FT line

Fatts need to tie that game with 50 secs left and Cyril needs to tie it with 8 secs left

Really bad execution to really not get off a shot at the end not sure if using the TO woukd have helped

Also agree with those that say we are not getting an at large anyway so it's all about getting better as the season goes but agree that losing to a team like Bucknell pretty much blows
0 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 5 years ago Cyril - Dowtin - Fatts

and we can’t beat Bucknell ?

I don’t want to hear anything about freshmen

We are URI - we had a top 40 (?) recruiting class

Enough w excuses

I don’t care what year it is - we are setting the bar very low if we aren’t mad about a loss to... what for it... Bucknell !.. my goodness
Bucknell was 3 points away from beating #15 Ohio State. Beat us and two other A10 teams. They are not a premiere team but why don't you stop with making it out like they are some dumpster fire. So dramatic...
1 x
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

This board is the internet embodiment of manic depression. The mood swings are so wide that Cedar Point wants to add Keaney Blue to it's park.
6 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I have been trying for two days to determine how such a GREAT team as Bucknell was able to lose by 30 earlier in the week.

URI lost to a team it should have beaten. While Bucknell has some capabilities and is not a horrible squad, it is still a Patriot League squad that a decent A-10 team such as URI with far more highly recruited and supposed skilled/athletic players should beat most all the time. No excuses. URI could not hit free throws and put forth a poor 2nd half effort on both sides of the ball. It choked the game away.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago I have been trying for two days to determine how such a GREAT team as Bucknell was able to lose by 30 earlier in the week.

URI lost to a team it should have beaten. While Bucknell has some capabilities and is not a horrible squad, it is still a Patriot League squad that a decent A-10 team such as URI with far more highly recruited and supposed skilled/athletic players should beat most all the time. No excuses. URI could not hit free throws and put forth a poor 2nd half effort on both sides of the ball. It choked the game away.
Fair. I think the only reason that game was frustrating was because I saw us having a chance to win this tournament and still be a bubble team.

That said, now I think we’re exactly where we all thought we would be at this point; good, not great, with flashes of extreme talent followed by head scratching mistakes and missed opportunities.

This is what a young team with a young coach will do.

I 100% believe we can still be an NCAA team with an A10 tourney win, and experiences like this loss and this tournament will help us the whole rest of the way to make that happen.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago I have been trying for two days to determine how such a GREAT team as Bucknell was able to lose by 30 earlier in the week.

We were favored by 5.5 points on a neutral court with all of our players healthy

It is a game we should have won - does not matter how we lost in the scorebook - we just did not achieve what we were supposed to

On to the next game
1 x