12/22|Bucknell Bison|10PM ESPN3

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Re: 12/22|Bucknell Bison|10PM ESPN3

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

WE SUCK

BUCKNELL ?

PATRIOT LEAGUE ?!!?

HIT A FT

SAME OLD RAMS

SUCK
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Can't finish a game like that with a timeout in your pocket.
4 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Really bad foul call on Tate towards the end. The guy was losing the ball before any arm contact. I don't agree with not calling a time out at the end to draw something up. Dowtin had two people around him. They could've won the game. Bucknell looks like they could be a decent team going forward and they had some key offensive rebounds. Such a shame to lose to them though.
1 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RhodyRam86 wrote: 5 years ago 12 for 23. Enough said.
Langevine 6-12
Russell 3-6
Downtin 1-3

Not going to get it done when you leave so many free points on the court
3 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

I have no problem with not calling a TO. You don't allow the defense to set up and we had the ball in Jeff's hand with plenty of time to make a play. They just played better defense. But God I thought that shot was going down. Right on line. Just came up a foot short.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

F****** Bucknell are you kidding me.
2 x
GO RAMS
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

We just lost to a team with a 258 RPI ranking.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Defense had been our hallmark but was very porous in this game. Allowed Bucknell to shoot over 50% from the field and 45% from three. To add insult to injury, they also shot 19-26 from the charity stripe.

Getting two wins in Hawaii is not looking as good now.
Last edited by RF1 5 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago
RhodyRam86 wrote: 5 years ago 12 for 23. Enough said.
Langevine 6-12
Russell 3-6
Downtin 1-3

Not going to get it done when you leave so many free points on the court
I know I would suck at playing basketball with jet lag but damn they could have hit some of these shots. There’s at least two more chances for w’s left.
1 x
Urifan91
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Urifan91 »

They are so young. Including the coach!
Definitely a winnable game given away there.
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

I hate when I stay up late and my team loses
5 x
skwalk47
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by skwalk47 »

We aren't allowed to have nice things.
4 x
URI BS '08 MS '11

NO LONGER waiting on my first NCAA appearance!
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

This team gets me thinking they have so much potential and everything is great. Then they get beat by 4-5 Bucknell.

URI needs Tate to offer more in the rebounding and defense areas. He looks mighty but doesn’t play that way. His threes were great tonight and he has a light touch and nice shot. But when you can’t defend too well and hardly rebound you make the guys you’re playing against look awesome.

Getting these freshman to tighten up in the defense/rebounding areas would go a long way. Bucknell just put 84 on the rams. That’s not a very good effort.
3 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I guess it is likely we will probably play Charlotte in the losers bracket. Can't see them beating TCU in the nightcap.
0 x
Urifan91
Jimmy Baron

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago Can't finish a game like that with a timeout in your pocket.
Totally agree. Experienced coaches call one and setup a play there.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Bucknell is now 3-0 against A-10 teams which puts the Rams in the company of La Salle and the Bonnies, both with losing records. What a come down from the West Virginia game.
2 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Fatt's missing a FT at the end when he could have tied the game with 50 seconds was the biggest miss of all. We could have been tied and needing just one stop to get the ball back with less than 30 seconds.

I thought the foul on Tate was legit. True... the Bucknell player was in the process of losing the ball, but Tate brought his arms down. That is a foul every time.
Last edited by RhodyRam86 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ramrod
Kenny Green

Unread post by Ramrod »

I gotta say I was really impressed with Bucknell. They shot the lights out at 51/45/73. Something to be said for the way they scheduled a west coast game against St Mary’s on Wednesday on their way out to Hawaii. They looked like everyone on their squad showed up fresh while half our guys (CT and Harris mainly) looked like they were on another planet.
3 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

RhodyRam86 wrote: 5 years ago Fatt's missing a FT at the end when he could have tied the game with 50 seconds was the biggest miss of all. We could have been tied and needing just one stop to get the ball back with less than 30 seconds.

I thought the follow on Tate was legit. True... the Bucknell player was in the process of losing the ball, but Tate brought his arms down. That is a foul every time.
Agree, although rhody wasn’t getting many stops.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

If Thomspon doesn't contribute again like tonight, he needs to see the bench. 0-4 from the field with zero points, just 4 rebounds, and 4 fouls. Got beat on D several times. A complete non factor in this game on both sides of the ball. If he doesn't add much, time to start playing for the future and get the freshmen more PT.
Last edited by RF1 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Our D was cat shit wrapped in dog shit wrapped in horse shit wrapped in elephant shit. And please don't show me any more pictures of our players enjoying the beach in Hawaii.
1 x
Ramrod
Kenny Green

Unread post by Ramrod »

No way to sugar coat it, that’s a bad loss. But I’m hoping we can finally put Fatts’ slump behind us.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

What the fuck did I just watch.

We outplayed them and just couldn’t hit free throws.

We missed 11 free throws.

Literally outplayed this team. They shot the lights out from deep but we still had this game...an free throws.

I’m not going to sleep tonight I’m so sick over it. Guess I’ll just play Red Dead Redemption and try to pretend I didn’t just watch us MISS ELEVEN FREE THROWS AND LOSE A GAME BY TWO.
6 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

What an extremely disappointing effort coming off a nice win vs West Virginia. So many head-scratching possessions in the 2nd half settling for 3 point shots. I'm not sure what Cox is telling his team in timeouts, but he was exposed tonight. Cox made zero adjustments on both ends of the floor and not taking a timeout to set up a play on the last possession was another mistake. The offensive numbers were again horrendous 44% from the field 33% from 3 and a dismal 52% from the line. Again, big picture for this season, these losses mean very little as we are not getting an at large bid. we are fortunate that this might be the worst A10 conference in the last 20 years, the goal should remain to be playing our best basketball come A10 tournament time and sneak in to the ncaa's.

Nice to see Fats have a great game, wish he had the ball in his hands on that last possession. Thompson was a huge disappointment tonight, I'd like to see Tyrese get the majority of the minutes going forward.
1 x
Rammgr
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Rammgr »

Call the TO before the 2nd FT to set up the play if you don't want the defense to set up. Don't leave a TO in your pocket.
3 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

If we had just shot 65% from the line, we win by 1 point.
2 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

As a URI fan I just expect to have entire seasons where we can't hit FTs consistently. I feel we just had this problem a few years ago.
3 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

BleedBlue87 wrote: 5 years ago As a URI fan I just expect to have entire seasons where we can't hit FTs consistently. I feel we just had this problem a few years ago.
Cyril has his issues but our starting point guards can in no way go 4-9 from the line. Langevine had a better %. That is just not acceptable.
1 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago If Thomspon doesn't contribute again like tonight, he needs to see the bench. 0-4 from the field with zero points, just 4 rebounds, and 4 fouls. Got beat on D several times. A complete non factor in this game on both sides of the ball.
I'm curious how he'd play getting more minutes in the backcourt paired with Dowtin or Fatts. I am not a big proponent of small ball especially if you are not going to press on defense. I think that Langevine, Harris, Preston, Tate and Martin can handle most of the frontcourt minutes.

This team is a work in progress.
1 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

With the minutes they played tonight Jeff (39) and Fatts (38) probably won't have much left in the tank tomorrow. TCU would have probably destroyed us anyway but this loss really hurts. Not really sure what happened to our defense but it was pretty bad tonight.
2 x
Urifan91
Jimmy Baron

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago If we had just shot 65% from the line, we win by 1 point.
If the Queen had balls she would be the King
5 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Rammgr wrote: 5 years ago Call the TO before the 2nd FT to set up the play if you don't want the defense to set up. Don't leave a TO in your pocket.

Yes...in hindsight, I agree they should have called a TO after the first shot, but I am still okay that they didn't call it after the second shot.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Bucknell kinda played out of their minds at times no?

Happens in hoops, sometimes everything goes in.

Bad loss but we can recover with a strong showing in the rest of the tourney. Will also help if Bisons play strong in the remainder of the tournament.
3 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago If Thomspon doesn't contribute again like tonight, he needs to see the bench. 0-4 from the field with zero points, just 4 rebounds, and 4 fouls. Got beat on D several times. A complete non factor in this game on both sides of the ball. If he doesn't add much, time to start playing for the future and get the freshmen more PT.
Can't agree more with this. Very poor game especially on the defensive end and he really hardly saw the ball on offense. He certainly did not look like he wanted the ball in his hands.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Free throws is a fair thing to point at, I guess. But overall I’m not mad about the game that we played, mostly because I was really impressed with Bucknell. That team is a slam dunk to win the Patriot League and go to the tournament.

Since I have no expectation of an at-large, winning or losing a game like this just feels so much less significant than it did the last few years, but I saw a bunch of stuff I thought was really encouraging. Also obviously a lot of things that need to be cleaned up that i think will get cleaned up eventually. But I’m not going to lose sleep over it.
4 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

eli#10 wrote: 5 years ago
RF1 wrote: 5 years ago If Thomspon doesn't contribute again like tonight, he needs to see the bench. 0-4 from the field with zero points, just 4 rebounds, and 4 fouls. Got beat on D several times. A complete non factor in this game on both sides of the ball. If he doesn't add much, time to start playing for the future and get the freshmen more PT.
Can't agree more with this. Very poor game especially on the defensive end and he really hardly saw the ball on offense. He certainly did not look like he wanted the ball in his hands.
Moore easily drove past Thompson more than once. As much as his offense wasn’t there tonight the defense was worse. Cox has to see this and adjust with Martin or Tate. In the last important minute Tate was in and Thompson on the bench - and this in sclutch time. I’d start Martin for Thompson tomorrow with Tate 1st off bench.

No reason we should lose to Bucknell.
Last edited by ramster 5 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I'm with TP

That was still a very high level game we played.

Lots of head scratchers, but we shot better and played much better than a month ago.

We are definitely still improving.

They were really playing well.
They took Ohio State to the wire. Very skilled and talented.

We will kill Charlotte tomorrow.

Great game Fatts
2 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

I maybe the only one , but i thought Bucknell played a fantastic game and were by far the best team URI has seen as far as
just looking at tonight's performance. I think URI played their best game of the year and lost only because of poor FT shooting .
They are an inexperienced team and they had the same problem a few years ago when they had less experience . Clutch Ft shooting will
come with more experience. I was very pleased to see Tate and Martin start to hit shots . I also liked seeing Harris hit both of his free
throws with the game on the line . That showed something . It looks like Fatts is feeling the pressure at the line because last season
he was money there . Great game from Langevine once again . and Fatts really had a great game minus FT shooting . If you are looking
to the future you really should be happy with the game by game improvement of the team . People are saying "Bucknell " like they are a
BAD team . They are not. They had their best game tonight . They went to Ohio State and lost by 2 . They can be beaten when they don't
have a good shooting night. Tonight was not that night. Of course I am disappointed that URI lost a very winnable game like this . They
have been up and down with the FT shooting, Having gone 24-27 in one game and then we see this game and the WVU game. When they
start to get more consistent play from the Frosh it looks like they will become the special team we are hoping for. In that respect, I think
we saw some steps forward from the team . a very tough loss and I won't sleep tonight even though I have a 5 hour drive ahead of me
beginning at 6 AM . Have to start looking forward to when these players are able to finish these type of games . They have nothing to be
ashamed of tonight, though losing to a team that played a terrific game. Have to come back and win their final 3 OOC games starting
Monday morning.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

We will beat Charlotte and then likely play Colorado? That's a good team and we still could win 2 games in this tourney.

Hey bad defense and bad FT shooting will get you beat every time.

Never surprised when we suck at FT's, but definitely surprised we sucked at defense. The freshmen will improve on D, and Harris will eventually learn to stop fouling. I'm sure Jeff is pissed about his FT shooting and Fatts needs to spend time practicing at the line also.

CT? That was pathetic. I always said he was a role player at best, and I agree with those who say he should ride the bench after that "effort" and give time to the freshmen.
3 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

I don't agree that we sucked on defense . There were several contested 3s that they drained . Can't do anything about that . Gave up 84 points
but i credit their offense for hitting virtually everything. even when they missed a lay up late, they got a tap in that went up and dropped in .
They were not ' only shooting well, but luck was on their side on that play at a very crucial moment . Unfortunately so many missed FTs put Bucknell
in position to allow some luck to be meaningful . If they hit a decent 74% ( 17-23) they are ahead by 3 at the end and the tap in doesn't matter.
Every game this season should be a learning experience and I do think they are learning some hard lessons early on in some of their careers.
3 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Shinze88 wrote: 5 years ago Four straight possessions where we take a 3 point shot as the first shot in the possession and we go down 5 points. Not sure what we are doing in our half court offense but its extremely puzzling. We are the worst 3 point shooting team in the country and yet we just keep chucking them up when we have an obvious advantage in the front court. Not sure what Cox is telling this team, but he needs to gets Cyril and Jermaine involved. Not a good showing, and not sure why Omar is now in the game, he offers very little.
.......This......
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Not mad we lost ?

I am PISSED OFF we lost to patriot league bucknell

What piss poor loss

Hit an eFFIN FT my goodness

SAME OLD RAMS

emBARONsing

Twice we had great coaches leave us and twice we replace w a head without any college head coaching experience

Losing to bucknell is a joke

HARRABLE
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......was that a “career” point game for a Fatts and Cyril?......thought I heard a Stone say that.....if so, what a waste, put an * next to it for missed free throws.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The reality is, that this year, this URI team and coaching staff, cannot beat the better teams in supposed lesser conferences such as the CAA, America East, and Patriot League. Nine games into the OOC schedule and the team already has losses to Charleston, Stony Brook, and Bucknell.
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

luke wrote: 5 years ago I maybe the only one , but i thought Bucknell played a fantastic game and were by far the best team URI has seen as far as
just looking at tonight's performance. I think URI played their best game of the year and lost only because of poor FT shooting .
They are an inexperienced team and they had the same problem a few years ago when they had less experience . Clutch Ft shooting will
come with more experience. I was very pleased to see Tate and Martin start to hit shots . I also liked seeing Harris hit both of his free
throws with the game on the line . That showed something . It looks like Fatts is feeling the pressure at the line because last season
he was money there . Great game from Langevine once again . and Fatts really had a great game minus FT shooting . If you are looking
to the future you really should be happy with the game by game improvement of the team . People are saying "Bucknell " like they are a
BAD team . They are not. They had their best game tonight . They went to Ohio State and lost by 2 . They can be beaten when they don't
have a good shooting night. Tonight was not that night. Of course I am disappointed that URI lost a very winnable game like this . They
have been up and down with the FT shooting, Having gone 24-27 in one game and then we see this game and the WVU game. When they
start to get more consistent play from the Frosh it looks like they will become the special team we are hoping for. In that respect, I think
we saw some steps forward from the team . a very tough loss and I won't sleep tonight even though I have a 5 hour drive ahead of me
beginning at 6 AM . Have to start looking forward to when these players are able to finish these type of games . They have nothing to be
ashamed of tonight, though losing to a team that played a terrific game. Have to come back and win their final 3 OOC games starting
Monday morning.
That "best" team was coming off a 30 point loss in its game right before us.

We choked that game away. Poor defense, bad shot selection in the 2nd half, atrocious ft shooting, and subpar coaching let a very winnable game go by the wayside.
4 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Projo sends no staff member to Hawaii to cover the three games. URI played four total OOC away games (Charleston-SC and Honolulu-Hawaii) outside New England and not one was covered first hand by the state's largest newspaper. Just two actual trips in total. PC, on the other hand, plays two OOC away games outside New England and they send someone to both games in Annapolis-MD and Austin-Texas.
3 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I think Luke’s takes are dead on balls accurate here. That game was winnable, but Bucknell played great. I don’t know or care what happened in their previous game, because it doesn’t matter. Just because they may have played poorly before coming to Hawaii means little if they play great when they got there. If we played our best game against their best game, we’d win. We didn’t play a complete enough game (too much fouling, not enough FTs converted, got too reliant on the three for a few key minutes in the second half), but on the whole I thought there were some things we did last night that give me a lot of confidence in where we are headed. Ultimately, a win or loss in that game means very little. We aren’t playing for an at-large, we are hoping to peak at the right time later in the season. I saw nothing last night to indicate that we aren’t capable of doing that.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The Dude wrote: 5 years ago Really bad foul call on Tate towards the end. The guy was losing the ball before any arm contact. I don't agree with not calling a time out at the end to draw something up. Dowtin had two people around him. They could've won the game. Bucknell looks like they could be a decent team going forward and they had some key offensive rebounds. Such a shame to lose to them though.
All in all the referring seemed ok. Tate call was questionable.
But what was that flagrant foul called early in the game that the refs went back and replayed? The announcers saw nothing and neither did I. Coaches did not show strong reactions.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

TP I get your point but I am sorry - I don’t understand how one cannot be mad a losing to bucknell

And I was right there cheering along Tate but long term I rather have an inside presence than having him take 3s

I haven’t seen anything from Tate to tell me he can battle inside in the limited amount of games I have seen
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

ElmCityRhody wrote: 5 years ago Not mad we lost ?

I am PISSED OFF we lost to patriot league bucknell

What piss poor loss

Hit an eFFIN FT my goodness

SAME OLD RAMS

emBARONsing

Twice we had great coaches leave us and twice we replace w a head without any college head coaching experience

Losing to bucknell is a joke

HARRABLE
I think I made the point after there was a mini-meltdown after the Charleston loss - if we are going to react this way to every loss then it’s going to be a LOOONG year. This is a young, inexperienced team and it’s going to lose some games that we’ve gotten accustomed to winning the last several years. The stakes aren’t very high, fortunately, this year is mostly about growth so we can return to the level we’ve been at next year. Getting bent out of shape over imperfect performances this year is going to be a tremendous waste of energy. It’s going to happen plenty this season.
4 x