Week #7 - Games of Interest

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Week #7 - Games of Interest

Unread post by Obadiah »

We begin Week #7 of the season. No A-10 teams are ranked in the Top 25 in either the AP Poll or in the USA Today Coaches' Poll nor are any getting votes in the other category. No URI OOC opponent gets votes in either poll other than potential opponent, TCU, which gets votes in both polls. Kansas continues to hold the top spot in both polls. NJIT continues to get one vote in the AP poll as opposed to no A-10 team getting any!

URI got a boost in the rankings given the West Virginia win on a neutral court.
Rankings thru Dec 16 games versus the previous week:

NET - 94, up 26
BPI - 99, up 20
Sagarin - 81, up 15
Pomeroy - 93, up 22

The cumulative record to date for URI OOC opponents stands at 59-43, .578, down slightly from previous week.

On Monday night there was only one game involving a future URI opponent, Davidson, travelled to Wake Forest and lost 67-63. While the final score was close, Davidson showing some shooting woes without Grady, trailed the entire game.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: Week #7 - Games of Interest

Unread post by reef »

Where does the A10 rank as a conference in NET or RPI????
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Limited action on Tuesday evening. In the A-10, one game:

St. Bonaventure at Vermont, 7 PM. On ESPN+

In games involving URI OOC opponents:

PC entertains 3-8 America East Albany, 7 PM.

In an interesting match-up, Charleston visits Siena, 7 PM.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

reef wrote: 5 years ago Where does the A10 rank as a conference in NET or RPI????
I wouldn't worry about RPI, as it's currently an archaic metric with no value.
The NCAA does not regularly release conference NET ratings, so you'd have to factor it all together manually.
If you are just spitballing off of top 100 teams by league, you would end up with something like this:
AAC - 6 out of 12 (50%)
WCC - 5 out of 10 (50%)
Atlantic 10 - 5 out of 14 (36%)
MWC - 3 out of 11 (27%)
That would put the A10 at 9th. It's possible there could be movement by weighting strength in the middle/bottom of the conference, but I'd be surprised to see much.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Buffalo Cuse tonight should be interesting
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

reef wrote: 5 years ago Buffalo Cuse tonight should be interesting
Totally agree. I mean, the 'cuse is already in, because, well...Syracuse, but should be interesting nonetheless. Go Orange.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

NJIT getting votes... smh
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Obadiah wrote: 5 years ago Limited action on Tuesday evening. In the A-10, one game:

St. Bonaventure at Vermont, 7 PM. On ESPN+

PC entertains 3-8 America East Albany, 7 PM.

In an interesting match-up, Charleston visits Siena, 7 PM.
Buffalo at Syracuse is an interesting game tonight. Got to root for the mid majors.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Taylor Swift wrote: 5 years ago NJIT getting votes... smh
Let's - go - En-Jit..clap clap clap clap clap...let's - go - En-Jit....!
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

That Nate Oats guy from Buffalo is pretty good....I know he didn't interview for the URI job, but he was my 2nd choice behind DC.

Now however he's probably well on the fast track to a big time P5 job.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

PC in an el stinko first half leads Albany 23-20.

The loss of Reeves is obviously a problem.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

If Oats leaves this year for a P5 job will that be the fastest ascent from high school to big time college hoops ever?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago PC in an el stinko first half leads Albany 23-20.

Must be a great defensive game :lol:
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Charleston in an impressive road win at Siena, 83-58. Jarrell Brantley put in 23 points on 8 of 8 shooting including 5 three-pointers as the Cougars blew open the game in the second half.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

The Bonnies fall in 2OT at Vermont, 83-76 despite Courtney Stockard's 27 points. The Catamounts have now beaten three A-10 teams, besides the Bonnies, that includes GW and George Mason.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Buffalo looked good. Syracuse losing at home to Old Dominion by 6 and at home by 12 to Buffalo does dilute UCONN’s only quality win.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago If Oats leaves this year for a P5 job will that be the fastest ascent from high school to big time college hoops ever?
You would think so, right? And to think he almost stepped away from coaching. He deserves any good thing that comes his way.
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

This is why people don’t like you, Jon.

2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I recently had to unfollow Rothstein. Just can’t do it anymore.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago PC in an el stinko first half leads Albany 23-20.

They did put up 50 in the second half, more than Albany managed in the full 40 minutes.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow surprised Rothstein would say that about a solid undefeated Buffalo team ranked 14th

Oats is the real deal and will get a really good job next year
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

To Jon’s point I’m sure Syracuse didn’t expect Buffalo to be THIS good. And it’s even more brutal now.
0 x
GO RAMS
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

ace wrote: 5 years ago This is why people don’t like you, Jon.

His shtick does get tiresome but I don't think his point is that losing to Buffalo is brutal. I think his point is that it's brutal for Syracuse to pay for the right to play Buffalo at home without the return game and then lose the game - basically it's always brutal to pay that money just to lose in front of your fans, regardless of opponent.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhodyKyle wrote: 5 years ago

His shtick does get tiresome but I don't think his point is that losing to Buffalo is brutal. I think his point is that it's brutal for Syracuse to pay for the right to play Buffalo at home without the return game and then lose the game - basically it's always brutal to pay that money just to lose in front of your fans, regardless of opponent.
It's hard to figure out what Rothstein is getting at to be honest, at least for me. I don't know why it should be much of a surprise that Buffalo won since Syracuse was only favored by 3.5 points. Plus Syracuse only beat Buffalo last year by 7 points in the Carrier Dome. On top of that Buffalo beat #4 seed Arizona in the NCAA Tournament 89-68 last March.
It appears more to me that Rothstein is exhibiting the same old Mid Major bias that it is just not possible for Mid Majors to upset P5 Teams on their own court. Mid Majors show every March what they are capable of - should not be a surprise that Buffalo won that game - at least not to knowledgeable College Basketball Fans - maybe that is Jon's problem
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago If Oats leaves this year for a P5 job will that be the fastest ascent from high school to big time college hoops ever?
BAR,
What's interesting is that last year Oats could have had the Pittsburgh jog after Hurley turned it down, but Pitt did offer up enough money for Oats to make a big move like that. He bought a beautiful million dollar house in Buffalo and his family loves it there. In addition, his wife has been battling cancer and so for him and his family going for the big money is not necessarily a high priority. Quality of family life is a high priority for him, his wife and daughters at this time. Things could change but what a phenomenal job he has done at Buffalo.
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Action picks up on Wednesday evening in the A-10:

Duquesne versus Penn State at the PPG Paints Arena, 7 PM. On CBSSN.

Western Michigan at Dayton, 7 PM. On ESPN+.

Old Dominion at Richmond, 7 PM. On ESPN+.

North Carolina Central at Saint Louis, 8 PM. On ESPN+.

Hofstra at Stony Brook, 7 PM. On ESPN+.

In a preclude to their date with URI in the Diamond Head Classic, Bucknell visits Saint Mary's, 10 PM.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Yeah, this is exactly what he means, but I find his rigidity and resistance to any kind of subtlety fascinating. I have a theory about him- not good or bad. I’m just curious. American Dream and flipping houses and ******* and locked in and a few good men and Christian Bale, etc. Dude, chill. Maybe take a day off.
1 x
Rhody1992
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Rhody1992 »

I don't understand how people don't get that his "Epitome of Brutality" tweets have absolutely NO relevance to quality of the win, quality of the opponents, etc.

The meaning of his "epitome of brutality" is that, in this case, Syracuse paid Buffalo to play them, and Cuse lost. Jon doesn't mean it's a bad loss for Cuse to lose to Buffalo. It's simply his way of saying paying to lose is the epitome of brutality. Cuse is out money and get an L.

The fact people get so bent out of shape because of his epitome of brutality tweets is hilarious. Most people take it the complete wrong way.
3 x
Rhody1992
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Rhody1992 »

Rhody1992 wrote: 5 years ago

I don't understand how people don't get that his "Epitome of Brutality" tweets have absolutely NO relevance to quality of the win, quality of the opponents, etc.

The meaning of his "epitome of brutality" is that, in this case, Syracuse paid Buffalo to play them, and Cuse lost. Jon doesn't mean it's a bad loss for Cuse to lose to Buffalo. It's simply his way of saying paying to lose is the epitome of brutality. Cuse is out money and get an L.

The fact people get so bent out of shape because of his epitome of brutality tweets is hilarious. Most people take it the complete wrong way.
Edit: to the people right above me that said what I basically just did, apologies. My computer at work hasn't been refreshing the page right all morning lol
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

In the 1980s, Maryland cleaned house, replacing the Len Bias-and-NCAA-tainted Lefty Driesell with Baltimore Dunbar HS coach Bob Wade, who was thought to be unblemished by big-time college ball.

Wade got Maryland put on probation in the blink of an eye.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Oats knew having 5 seniors this year that his team would be great and he would get his pick of the litter when the P5 jobs become open ????
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Rhody1992 wrote: 5 years ago

I think a lot of people actually do know what he means.

What seems to bother people are: he makes the same tweet when it’s an in-season tournament game or not actually a buy game and then just deletes and never acknowledges his error; his asssignment of specific tweets to coaches, making no distinction between whether they beat a top 30 team or a 250+ team; the way he texts coaches good luck before games; his citing “sources” when a player or team has already officially announced it; his ignorance of advanced stats; and his seemingly limited interpersonal skills.

I don’t mind him because he does get some info out there quicker than others, usually about injuries or participation in in-season tournaments.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

No question that is what he means. It’s just annoying for one person to tweet the exact same things over and over again. Rothstein has like 5 tweets, give or take, and for a couple of them he will swap teams in or out. They aren’t funny, informative, interesting or insightful; and if you aren’t at least one of those things then I don’t really have a desire to read your tweets.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Not to get off topic but what is going on at UNH? They lost again today dropping to 2-9 for the year. I get they have no history of basketball success at all, but their coach is now in his 14th(!) year and accomplished literally nothing in his time there. He’s like the America East version of Jim Baron.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Herrion
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

If there's a buy game, Jon has this tweet queued up. The two teams involved are completely irrelevant. It's just Mad Libs.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago

No question that is what he means. It’s just annoying for one person to tweet the exact same things over and over again. Rothstein has like 5 tweets, give or take, and for a couple of them he will swap teams in or out. They aren’t funny, informative, interesting or insightful; and if you aren’t at least one of those things then I don’t really have a desire to read your tweets.
Yeah, I can see this viewpoint and I actually enjoy the replies to his tweets more than his tweets. Jon gets trolled hard.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Good first half for A10
Duquesne up 7 over Penn State
Dayton up 12 over Western Michigan
Richmond up 5 over Old Dominion
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Keith Dambrot is currently losing his damn mind. Very entertaining!

I saw the reaction but somehow have still not seen the play that made him mad.
Last edited by ace 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Richmond couldn't hold earlier leads as ODU broke open their game in last two minutes to take a road win, 63-54

Dayton led all the way take a 85-72 win over Western Michigan. The Flyers were powered by a 28 point contribution by senior forward Josh Cunningham.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Richmond was out scored 23-6 in the last 8 minutes. They suck.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Welp
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Wow, Duquesne falls to Penn State, 73-67. With the game tied at 67-67 with 5 seconds left Keith Dambrot goes ballistic and is assessed two technicals leading to six straight PSU free throw points. Even Dan Hurley didn't accomplish that!
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

That was a really poor move by Dambrot. No matter how he felt about the foul called with 5 seconds left, he robbed his kids and his team of a chance to win the game. I am sure he is kicking himself for not at least waiting until the game was over to blow a gasket.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

The spread was Duquesne +5.5 and the O/U 138. Feel bad for those who grabbed Duquesne and the under.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

After trailing by as many as 11 points early in the second half, Saint Louis averted an embarrassing home loss to North Carolina Central as the Billikens righted themselves in the second half to win, 74-65. Coming into game NC Central sported a 4-8 record and had lost seven road games.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I still am not sold on Duquesne as I think they are a mirage until proven otherwise. Have played just ONE true road game. Lost to all the name teams. Loss at 8-3 Notre Dame with an NET rank of 52 was totally expected. Would think, if they were really a decent team, they could get at least one versus a 5-5 Penn State (NET-86) or a 8-3 Pitt (NET-99 but easily beat by WVU) with the games right across the street from their campus. Their resume is basically all wins at home over lower level teams. This season, to me, is looking like last year again. A gaudy w/l record versus a relatively easy OOC schedule followed by a losing record in A-10 play with a #10 seed in the A-10 tournament with first game exit.

FWIW: Attendance tonight at the 19,100 seat PPG Arena for Duquesne and mega sized Penn State (located just 130 miles away but with many alumni that live in metro Pittsburgh) was 2,537.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ace wrote: 5 years ago Keith Dambrot is currently losing his damn mind. Very entertaining!

I saw the reaction but somehow have still not seen the play that made him mad.
https://sports.yahoo.com/duquesne-coach ... 17953.html
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Here is the post game press conference and Dambrot’s explanation

https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2018/12 ... -reaction/
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Interesting comments from Michael Hughes about how Dambrots fights for his players. Hughes followed Dambrot to Duquesne from Akron.

https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2018 ... enn-state/
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Agree with BAR regardless of how bad he thought the refs were you can't deprive your team a chance to win the game which is what he did
Wait til after the game and then give an ear full
0 x