12/16 West Virginia @ Mohegan Sun

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Re: 12/16 West Virginia @ Mohegan Sun

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Love Jeff more and more not only for his play on the floor but for his leadership. He was the first to have a talk with Harris after he picked up his T. Great moment.
4 x
Slava Ukraini!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

3 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

4 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

The refs got so bad our group at the game was trying to come up with the infractions they hadn’t called. They kept knocking them off one by one. On top of the 56 fouls called here is what we got to experience:
70 FT attempts
1 double T
1 T on a coach
1 T on a player
2 flagrant fouls
1 delay of game warning on a player
1 delay of game warning on both benches
1 offensive basket interference
1 defensive basket interference
1 held ball
1 charging foul
1 fan ejected by the refs

Did I miss anything 😳
Last edited by Rhody83 5 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
5 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Just got back from the game....I was livid with the refs all game.....maybe I see things through a Keaney Blue prism..

West Virginia put full court pressure on Jeff all game...not necessarily to create turnovers...but to create fatigue in Jeff.....they were pushing and pulling him all game...I believe they wanted to gas him...tire him out...so that in the last minutes of the game he would fade.....he didn't....

The freshmen are making progress....I guess in high school the ball gets into their hands the minute it comes over half-court.....here they are 3rd, 4th and 5th options....and they are learning their roles....I believe they have been pressing up to this point....today they were more in the flow...

Fatts is learning how to play without a consistent 3point shot.....he laid some bricks from outside....but he was good going to the hole and dishing to his teammates....

Christion Thompson was our unsung hero.....8 rebounds to make up for Cyril missing time with foul trouble......all the guys rebounded.....against a physical West Virginia team....and he and Jeff played great defense on their assignments....

A great contingent of die-hard Rhody fans made the place louder than Ryan at times.....

Got to chat with Red and Mrs. Red a couple of times.....always a pleasure....and Rudder as well

All in all a good day ..... (except for bad luck at the craps table _)
7 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

URI not giving up ground for the 15.5 minutes Cyril was on the bench with foul trouble in the first half allowed them to win the game. That was a key stretch for this Rhody team. Cyril has been a monster for us so far; that chunk of time will probably be lost as the season goes on, so I want to put a pin in it. Jermaine Harris specifically during that stretch was vital.
10 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

section(105) wrote: 5 years ago ...the Alumni Pre-Game?......being card carrying member of the Association, came n email announcement awhile ago.....don’t think it had anything to do with getting tickets via the RC....
Their list serves for emails people get never match up to Alumni Association (unless it's for the URI AA specifically), other than that most people get sporadic mailings regardless of participation/donation levels. Not sure why since no one has ever been able to answer that for me. I had registered for the event at Avalon last week. Only thing was the food line was never ending so didn't even bother getting anything there and waited until after the game. Although I really wish I had gotten a slice of Frank Pepe's.
Last edited by Taylor Swift 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Great game by URI today! The team looks they are improving more & more with each game. Harris looked crazy good on defense for a big guy. He definitely influence a steal or two and is really quick for his size. Just to add to how bad the officiating was...about 4 other people and myself looked at each other when a foul was called before any actual contact was made with the WVU player. It was a bit bizarre. Maybe the 5 of us missed it, but it sure seemed like it. What a crazy game!
ATP & I were super loud as usual. I'm sure Huggy Bear loved us sitting behind his bench all game. :lol:
Loved the Rhody turn out!
3 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Anyone posting a replay of the game?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

rhodyrudder wrote: 5 years ago And he leaves his timeout stool in front of the scorers table? Wtf

Hands down the tackiest looking situation I've ever seen at a game.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

He’s been doing that for 25 years
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago
Rhody74 wrote: 5 years ago
reef wrote: 5 years ago Harris showing some nice promise , the rest of the Frosh doing nothing Tyrese got a lucky bounce off a 3

Why is Fatts initiating the offense on the last possession we ended up turning it over

Let's see what happens when Cyril returns in 2nd half
Farts was fouled on that play but it wasn’t called.
“Farts”. That made me laugh. Thank you. I’m wound too tight right now

HAHA! I am late to this today, but I keep laughing. One time at a game I was posting to my Snap story and I quickly deleted a post that autocorrected to "Farts". No way was I letting that slide. :lol: :lol:
2 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

Great atmosphere. I am usually able to find some small things to complain about strategy wise. Hard to do in that one. Even stayed aggressive late, getting a couple of layups instead of waiting for the foul and having to take 2 free throws.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

sevegny7 wrote: 5 years ago Poor blue man. Got tossed before halftime haha. Took one for coach cox.
For talking about the refs hair gel of ALL things. No one does hair gel like Derek Kellogg, though!
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Coach Cox showed some fire today. He was heated up. I didn't mind the T. I like a coach to show some passion. Great game. Can't wait for the MTSU game. Hope we have a great showing in Hawaii!!!!!
3 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

See what happens when you let the point guard play point guard?

Snide comment aside, I think Cox and whoever did the scout did a masterful job today. Press Virginia had very little effect, if any. We were clearly well prepared on offense, we had a great scheme to attack today. Also, as a young team away from home against a team like West Virginia with the way the game was called it could have really gotten ugly but he kept the right balance between being animated and calm, helped the team get through the adversity, and helped make the necessary adjustments to slow the fouling in the second half. Also did a good job managing playing time for everyone in a game that was very difficult to manage due to all the fouls. Great job today, even if I still don't completely understand his time out usage.

The refs were absolutely putrid today. You know it's bad when you're tired of them calling fouls on the opposition.

Harris is the real deal and is going to be a problem as early as conference play for the opposition.

I can't think of a better front court player in this conference than Cyril.

Jeff is the best pure point guard in the A10. Some guys might be better scorers, but no one can run an offense at his level
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago The refs got so bad our group at the game was trying to come up with the infractions they hadn’t called. They kept knocking them off one by one. On top of the 56 fouls called here is what we got to experience:
70 FT attempts
1 double T
1 T on a coach
1 T on a player
2 flagrant fouls
1 delay of game warning on a player
1 delay of game warning on both benches
1 offensive basket interference
1 defensive basket interference
1 held ball
1 charging foul
1 fan ejected by the refs

Did I miss anything 😳
We were doing the same thing. I guess the only call they didn’t make was a 3 second call, maybe because nobody could be in the paint for more than 2 seconds without a foul call.

On that double delay of game, I thought we were going to get a technical and them a warning because we already had 1 delay of game warning.
2 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Couldn't have asked for a better day today.
2 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

curious about the T on Cox. I know there was a time that a bench T was two shots and the ball. anyone know when that changed?

as they went to time out i kept thinking what a horrible time for a T as we had secured a rebound. i thought it could turn into a big swing. fortunately it only cost us the free throws (i think they made both?) and we did get the ball.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

RhodyRam86 wrote: 5 years ago curious about the T on Cox. I know there was a time that a bench T was two shots and the ball. anyone know when that changed?

as they went to time out i kept thinking what a horrible time for a T as we had secured a rebound. i thought it could turn into a big swing. fortunately it only cost us the free throws (i think they made both?) and we did get the ball.
I was behind the basket on the WVU side so I couldn't see exactly what was happening but am dying to find out.
0 x
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

I was sitting under the basket next to some WVU fans. I'm pretty sure they were just as pissed at the refs as we were.

Enjoyed the game and it was great to see the team pull through even with Cyril sitting most of the first half. Harris is looking better every game, if he can figure out how to stay out of foul trouble, URI will be dangerous in the A10.
0 x
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

Taylor Swift wrote: 5 years ago
I was behind the basket on the WVU side so I couldn't see exactly what was happening but am dying to find out.
Where were you behind their basket? I was in section 20 row A.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

URI_05 wrote: 5 years ago
Taylor Swift wrote: 5 years ago
Where were you behind their basket? I was in section 20 row A.
I was 21 row L seat 1. I could see everything perfectly minus the Rhody bench, but no complaints.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Great win for Rhody!! I was at an affair for the day and was not able to even follow progress of game on my phone. Does anyone know if there is a replay available???
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Had to work today but was able to pop in and see some of the end of the game.

I will say, Cox and staff impress me. No stall ball at the end. Aggressive is the way to go.

This team is still a work in progress but what progress it is!

Note to A10.....Cyril and Jermaine will be your worst nightmare, later this season and next season watch out. Add Tyrese to that mix along with Jeff and Fatts of course.....

We will be top 4 for sure in conference this year.
1 x
KMar970
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KMar970 »

Great win still here go rhody!!!
1 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

I love our team in transition. Their press helped speed up our offense and resulted in some nice fast break buckets. We need to continue to push the tempo offensively and play attack style.
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

We have been and will likely continue to be a team that plays better the faster they play. Cox has said that's the way we need to play....let's see more of it...we are not good at playing a slogging half court style game.

This isn't anything new by the way.
2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

My favorite stat of the day comes from our two Guards - they were a combined 12-3 in assists to turnovers (Fatts 5 & 1, Jeff 7 & 2).
2 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

How good is Jeff Dowtin? (That is a rhetorical question.) We are so lucky to have him as our field general. He has so much poise and leadership.

Cyril ain't too bad either. Fatts is showing signs of coming back. And Mr. Harris is beginning to live up to his billing.

I feel much better about our team after today. :D
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jumped 46 spots in Real-time RPI with the win

http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_atl10_Men.html
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That's a great win for our team

Jeff was well deserving of MVP

Just clean up the free throws and a few missed layups and we will be even tougher to beat
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Great to see Jeff in control of the game more and coming up with 7 big assists. While he had 2 Turnovers they were both from offensive fouls. I have no problem with Jeff being aggressive to the hoop and getting offensive fouls - it's just that the scoring rules refer to Offensive Fouls ALSO as TOs - makes no sense to me, never has

Our Big men neutralized the West Virginia Big men - Harris and Langevine!!
Our Guards far outperformed their guards
- Dowtin was fantastic as he always seems to do in the big games - he steps up. 37 minutes: 7-14 FG, 3-3 FT, 5 rebounds, 7 assists, 2 TOs, 1 steal, 18 pts
- Russell 37 minutes: 6-16 FG, 5-8 FT, 6 rebounds, 5 assists, 3 steals, 1 block, 1 TO for 18 points
- Thompson 29 minutes: 2-5 FG, 2-4 on 3FG, 6-8 FT, 8 rebounds 1 assist, 1 steal, 2 TOs for 12 points

So a total of 19 rebounds from our 3 starting guards while their 2 starting guards had only 1 total rebound between them
Amazingly, WVU had only 1 steal for the entire game - we had 6

Martin with a solid 26 minutes off the bench

A very good win for URI. The officiating performance is what it is. Most important was that URI played solidly in spite of this obstacle. Fouls were even between the two teams anyway. URI players did not let that deter them from posting a solid W. Will look very good come March. Already very favorable to RPI. A good win for the A10.
2 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

WVU's style of play did not exploit URI's weakness. They believed that they could just impose their style of play on an inferior opponent. It didn't work. While URI had another bad shooting day from beyond the arc, They reduce the quantity of these shots. URI's FT shooting was not good either. What they did is attack the basket against an over-aggressive defense and made a high percentage of short shots. Also, this was the best game at receiving passes that I have seen from a URI team in years which greatly reduced WVU's steals and tips which provided more scoring opportunities,.

Future opponents will see the game tape and deploy a different defensive strategy. Defenses will pack down into a zone preventing URI's dribble penetration and dare URI to beat them with outside shooting. It is not clear to me that URI can make 35% of their outside shots even if they are given open shots.

I'm impressed that URI has begun to play aggressive defense and that is all about coaching. And, as has been mentioned elsewhere, ALL the players now know who is the leader of this team.
4 x
NCAAs or Bust!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......question for our in-house refs......how do common fouls get “upgraded” to flagrants?......upon review I know, but who initiates/calls for the review?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

section(105) wrote: 5 years ago ......question for our in-house refs......how do common fouls get “upgraded” to flagrants?......upon review I know, but who initiates/calls for the review?

The refs call for the review if they have a question. I was at the game, but also recorded and watched when I got home. On the flagrant on Fatts, the announcers called for it right away. It’s automatic with a “lock and hold”. Fatts had the WVUplayer’s arm and held it. Coincidentally, it looked like Fatts was probably fouled before the “lock and hold”, but no call.

On the WVU upgrade to flagrant, it looked like the player swung his arm and hit Fatts in the face. The announcers actually thought he could be ejected. There wasn’t a great camera angle on the play...may be the reason he wasn’t ejected.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

The questions now is, how will this win look come March? I'm hoping WVU gets their center back and does damage in the BIG12.
0 x
GO RAMS
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Great win. The Bucknell team we play wont be a cakewalk - they just gave Ohio State everything they could handle and more. Would love to see a win and date with TCU in game #2.

My thoughts on the game.

Positives:
I just read the WV basketball board and it's a dumpster fire
Cyril + Harris were beasts down low - love what they do together...for as much as I loved the last 2 years it was incredibly frustrating when we played big/long teams and were reliant on Berry + Cyril
Shooting was slightly better
Fatts played much better...although his shot isn't falling at a solid clip he needs to keep shooting some to pull the offense out and open up driving and dishing lanes (arguably his best asset)
Dowtin is a stud. Calming influence and leader.
Thompson continues to do the little things. Feels like a 5th year Sr. out there just doing what his team needs him to do to win.
Cox brought the passion. Watching the Stony Brook game I didn't think he had the ability to get a technical as he looked asleep at the wheel - he's grown a lot in just a few games.

Negatives:
Silverio + Tate: Silverio seems like he's running with weights around his ankles. I'm not sure how much he can contribute unless he somehow adds speed and quickness. Tate didn't really bring anything to the table other than fouls.
Cyril + Harris fouls: Cyril should have picked up a foul when he tried to draw a charge but somehow Thompson was called. He also had a bad moving screen (boxed out his defender on the perimeter). Harris obviously had the tech but also a couple bad fouls going for offense rebounds and/or reaching in when WV had the possession. It wasn't the game to do that with how it was being called.
1 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Hey. I wanted to throw out the fact that I love that Coach Cox got a technical. LOVE IT. I love the fire. I wish he would’ve earned a little bit more, since I don’t think he really deserved it. But love the T. Coaches need to be the focus of the refs so their players don’t get T’d up. :lol:
4 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

SandorClegane wrote: 5 years ago Hey. I wanted to throw out the fact that I love that Coach Cox got a technical. LOVE IT. I love the fire. I wish he would’ve earned a little bit more, since I don’t think he really deserved it. But love the T. Coaches need to be the focus of the refs so their players don’t get T’d up. :lol:
The whole arena seemed to be the focus of those horrible refs.
2 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago
SandorClegane wrote: 5 years ago Hey. I wanted to throw out the fact that I love that Coach Cox got a technical. LOVE IT. I love the fire. I wish he would’ve earned a little bit more, since I don’t think he really deserved it. But love the T. Coaches need to be the focus of the refs so their players don’t get T’d up. :lol:
The whole arena seemed to be the focus of those horrible refs.
That’s the sign of amateur refs. What was the story about the fan getting ejected? What did he do?
0 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......I am not a fan of going and getting the coach T, when you have, as we did, ball possession, a little situation awareness is needed....No?
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

steviep123 wrote: 5 years ago Anyone posting a replay of the game?
Eventually I will post one, super busy lately though so wont be right away. I will post if someone else beats me to it on youtube too haha
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I know that a lot of commentary has been (rightly, imo) directed at our "dueling PG" offense with Fatts and Jeff sharing time running the offense.

It was definitely the right move to put Jeff at the 1 predominantly, and we've seen the results in the 2 games since PC.

That being said, having Jeff and Fatts on the floor at the same time against a team that plays a physical full court press like West Virginia, is a huge luxury that many teams do not have.

I believe we had maybe one turnover bringing the ball up full court, and we were on our side of the timeline, just hadn't set the offense up yet.

We will not play another team, VCU included, that has the talent and coaching to press as physical and well as Press Virginia did.

I know we talked a ton about what Cyril and Jermaine were able to do yesterday, but a lot of credit goes to Fatts and Jeff for weathering that storm quite well.
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

section(105) wrote: 5 years ago
.......I am not a fan of going and getting the coach T, when you have, as we did, ball possession, a little situation awareness is needed....No?
To be fair, Coach’s initial reaction occurred before the turnover. He wanted a travel called, it just happens that WVU turned the ball over anyway. Cox was just upset it had come to that at that point. The ref was clearly emotional, and didn’t like that he was being challenged for missing an obvious call after seemingly blowing his whistle without a conscious all game long.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

You are right Blue Man. Some of our success last season came with our ability to have Jeff and Fatts in the game at the same time and we even had Garrett in the game at times basically going with 3 point guards. It becomes very difficult to stop a team with two good point guards like Jeff and Fatts.
This team has some nice upside potential to it
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

ALSO, while riding this high and continuing to think back - this was the best we've looked in transition BY FAR.

Thought that was another huge factor in yesterday.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Blue Man wrote: 5 years ago ALSO, while riding this high and continuing to think back - this was the best we've looked in transition BY FAR.

Thought that was another huge factor in yesterday.
I would say best in years. Like 10-20 years. Exciting stuff.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry