‘18 Greece 6’8 PF Aris Tsourgiannis

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Re: ‘18 Greece 6’8 PF Aris Tsourgiannis

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Your theory is ok except Walker will be on scholarship in January. You can state it is what allowed us to take four new players. Technically Walker is taking Big Mike’s scholarship.
I get the needing practice players but when the team practices 5 on 5 Aris isn’t on the court.
Tertsea is the 10th player. In last week’s media day clip Eric was in the 5 on 5 clip and Aris wasn’t.
Maybe Aris is hurt right now. Maybe he is going to leave after this semester (his choice).
When you add Walker in three weeks, he will see even less practice time.
“We will be good when we are good.”
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Your theory is ok except Walker will be on scholarship in January. You can state it is what allowed us to take four new players. Technically Walker is taking Big Mike’s scholarship.
I get the needing practice players but when the team practices 5 on 5 Aris isn’t on the court.
Tertsea is the 10th player. In last week’s media day clip Eric was in the 5 on 5 clip and Aris wasn’t.
Maybe Aris is hurt right now. Maybe he is going to leave after this semester (his choice).
When you add Walker in three weeks, he will see even less practice time.
I just know that everyone including Cox felt we were short handed for practice when Layssard left. Who knows? He still could be on scholarship through the end of the year with one of the incoming freshman taking his spot next year as if he was a senior. The whole thing just seems a little strange, but I guess we will see how it plays out.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

RamStock wrote: 5 years ago
URI_05 wrote: 5 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago

It was intentional.
Enlighten us...
I have believed all along that this is where the extra scholarship came from that allowed us to take Walker from Georgetown. I think he was brought in this year as an extra body for practice and given a scholarship for this year only as it helped both parties. We will see, but find it hard to believe that they could be this far off on their judgement of his overall talent.
100% correct.
FattsAndFurious
Steve Chubin

Unread post by FattsAndFurious »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago More likely a transfer to a lower level school. This was a recruiting mistake by Cox and Sutton.
It was intentional.
That makes no sense
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

FattsAndFurious wrote: 5 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago More likely a transfer to a lower level school. This was a recruiting mistake by Cox and Sutton.
It was intentional.
That makes no sense
Doesn’t have to, it’s factual.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Please explain how it was intentional.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago Please explain how it was intentional.
They wanted a practice body, they got one. Really that simple.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

They went all the way to Greece for a practice body?
GO RAMS
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago They went all the way to Greece for a practice body?
Pure speculation, but it seems likely that they didn’t NEED to bring a Greek kid in for a practice body, but if someone was trying to find a home for him for a year until he found a more permanent situation, maybe doing that kind of solid for someone will be kept in mind down the road. We know that Sutton has good international contacts, so perhaps this was a way for him to get a practice player URI would not have to commit to long term while helping someone out in that network.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago They went all the way to Greece for a practice body?
Pure speculation, but it seems likely that they didn’t NEED to bring a Greek kid in for a practice body, but if someone was trying to find a home for him for a year until he found a more permanent situation, maybe doing that kind of solid for someone will be kept in mind down the road. We know that Sutton has good international contacts, so perhaps this was a way for him to get a practice player URI would not have to commit to long term while helping someone out in that network.
Exactly.
FattsAndFurious
Steve Chubin

You don't give a "practice body" a 4 year scholarship. Really that simple.

We'll see if he transfers or not, but you certainly don't know that he will for a fact.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

We'll see if he transfers or not, but you certainly don't know that he will for a fact.
Ok, Fatts. You win.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago
I agree with this. They obviously didn’t go to Greece for Aris, but it was probably a situation that worked out for both parties through Sutton’s connections. It helped both parties out short term.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

They need to have 4 scholarships avaialble in order to bring in all the freshman and Walker next year. They obviously have inside information that we don’t and have been planning for this all summer with looking at four definite scholarships. I think the scholarship was given with both parties understanding that this is a “1 year scholarship.” We don’t know most of the things that take place behind closed doors. There is no way they intended to bring him here for 4 years.
FattsAndFurious
Steve Chubin

RamStock wrote: 5 years ago

They need to have 4 scholarships avaialble in order to bring in all the freshman and Walker next year. They obviously have inside information that we don’t and have been planning for this all summer with looking at four definite scholarships. I think the scholarship was given with both parties understanding that this is a “1 year scholarship.” We don’t know most of the things that take place behind closed doors. There is no way they intended to bring him here for 4 years.
It's not impossible by any means. But I'm not going to just accept some fake insider's post/take on the situation as an absolute fact.

I don't see how bringing in a player who isn't good enough to play this year is helping us out in practice all that much. This roster could have used some help, whether it was by a grad transfer or some other recruit. IMO that was a mistake by the staff.
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

I think you are forgetting the fact that they had akele in the plans until late into the spring/summer. And only thing available at that point was a possible leftovers of grad transfers.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Lol @ “fake insider”.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

sevegny7 wrote: 5 years ago I think you are forgetting the fact that they had akele in the plans until late into the spring/summer. And only thing available at that point was a possible leftovers of grad transfers.
Plus Layssard left late.

Assuming this is a one year rental, how could that affect the APR? As long as he's on pace to graduate when he leaves, we're good?
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Not to mention a coaching search for three of the 4 primary coaching positions at uri at a critical point in forging relationships with grad transfers that may have been interested. And anything other then that is a mute point because we got our mid season transfer in walker which is a pretty solid addition. So only other option they could have done is grad transfer but due to the circumstances it didnt work out.
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago Lol @ “fake insider”.
Good job not going for the bait.

There is a history on KBB where some folks dropped cliff hangers as if they had some inside info and then had nothing - so folks are sensitive.
You, obviously are not that. your contributions to this board have been great.

If the gist of this is simply that it was planned all along for Aris to be a one and done, fine.
If there is a bigger plan that you are aware of, we are all interested.
Please tell us what you can when you can.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

rhodyblue12 wrote: 5 years ago
Good job not going for the bait.

There is a history on KBB where some folks dropped cliff hangers as if they had some inside info and then had nothing - so folks are sensitive.
You, obviously are not that. your contributions to this board have been great.

If the gist of this is simply that it was planned all along for Aris to be a one and done, fine.
If there is a bigger plan that you are aware of, we are all interested.
Please tell us what you can when you can.

I appreciate that, and that kind of stuff doesn’t bother me.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Sometimes people need to read between the lines, bc sometimes people know stuff they cannot be so detailed about on a public forum.
It was fairly obvious what DC Rams was getting at, and why he needed to prove it in the court of law is beyond me.
FattsAndFurious
Steve Chubin

Yeah, I'm not some guy asking recruiting analysts questions on twitter like you and passing their word off as inside information, of which you have none.

Feel free to say "I told you so" when appropriate. Until then, keep living in fantasy land.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Yeah, I'm not some guy asking recruiting analysts questions on twitter like you and passing their word off as inside information, of which you have none.

Feel free to say "I told you so" when appropriate. Until then, keep living in fantasy land.
You’re still going, eh? I won’t say “I told you so”, that would be stooping to your level of juvenile.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

F&F, DC Rams has a good connection. He has been correct on several recruits this year in advance of any information on social media.
He has shared some information with me in advance that has been spot on. You can move off your misguided point now.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Yeah I don't get the personal attack, and trying to run off people that actually do have some intel is not good for this board.
Unless you know someone in real life how the hell do you know whether they have access or not? You can only base it on the info they provide, and from what we have seen here DCRAMS has provided intel ahead of it being public knowledge. And i know that is not just stuff repurposed from the twittersphere.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I don’t know who pissed in his cereal, but apparently he ate it. Thanks Bar and 83 for the support.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

There are kids on the football team who are as good as Aris in basketball, so it wasn't just to get a practice player. If they were doing someone a favor that might pay off down the line, that's a different story.
Sutton said Aris had a chance to play right away. Smoke screen? Or he was taking someone else's word for it?
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Sutton is one of the most “ PC” people you’ll ever meet?

What’s he supposed to say, “ we’ve got ourselves a bum to fill space?”

Every kid has a chance to compete for playing time. Some know and accept their roles, some don’t.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I think some names on this board have been the same person under different usernames over the years. Keeps it interesting I guess.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 5 years ago I think some names on this board have been the same person under different usernames over the years. Keeps it interesting I guess.
Do share your conspiracy theory.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

The freshman forward was missing from pregame warm-ups and the bench prior to the tip against Middle Tennessee. A URI official confirmed Tsourgiannis also didn't make the trip to Hawaii for the Diamond Head Classic.

"He's away for the team right now for personal reasons," Cox said. "We are actually going to confirm that status in the next couple of days. I don't have any other comment other than that."

Aris IG Story today shows him back home in Greece.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago The freshman forward was missing from pregame warm-ups and the bench prior to the tip against Middle Tennessee. A URI official confirmed Tsourgiannis also didn't make the trip to Hawaii for the Diamond Head Classic.

"He's away for the team right now for personal reasons," Cox said. "We are actually going to confirm that status in the next couple of days. I don't have any other comment other than that."

So, "away from the team right now" sounds like he will be back at some point?
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago The freshman forward was missing from pregame warm-ups and the bench prior to the tip against Middle Tennessee. A URI official confirmed Tsourgiannis also didn't make the trip to Hawaii for the Diamond Head Classic.

So, "away from the team right now" sounds like he will be back at some point?
Political Correctness. The lines are there, you just have to find the message between them sometime.
Ramtastico
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Ramtastico »

He leaves with the all time Rhody Fouls per minutes played record locked up at a mind boggling 4.0. He will be in our record book forever and an annual topic in our "where are they now" thread. Ompah!
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Easily one of the strangest "recruitments" in URI history.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Aris we hardly knew ya!
Slava Ukraini!
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

If Aris leaves, what can be done with his scholarship?
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Mading potentially coming in early may be a reason. Just the feeling I get.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Koch said the scholarship cannot be transferred this year....so it cannot be used for Mading

Haven't heard from my source if the Mading early arrival is happening.....source is not reliable as I said previously
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Mading is not arriving early.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

KevanBoyles wrote: 5 years ago If Aris leaves, what can be done with his scholarship?
His scholarship is one that they are planning on using next year for Mading, Hammond, Long and Walker replacing Preston, Leviton, open scholarship and Aris. The only other reasonable scholarships opening are if Thompson leaves early as a fifth year senior or Tertsea.
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

From Will Geoghegan, he is officially gone.

Last edited by Bos8 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Was just announced that he has left the program.
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

He has fouled out of the program...

Hope the best for the good ol Greek!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

rhodysurf wrote: 5 years ago
So would this be why some thought Mading was coming early? It seems his scholarship after this season had already been reallocated.
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

One of the most curious recruits ever for URI.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

They couldn’t even give the guy a trip to Hawaii before cutting him loose?
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Aris we hardly knew ya, best of luck