‘18 Greece 6’8 PF Aris Tsourgiannis

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

‘18 Greece 6’8 PF Aris Tsourgiannis

Unread post by Matunuck »

0 x
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

Re: ‘18 Greece 6’8 PF Aris Tsourgiannis

Unread post by Matunuck »

Just read he is a late roster addition to replace Mike Layssard
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Not sure he's a PF. Looks more like a 3 to me.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Yup. This is a Sutton recruit.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago Yup. This is a Sutton recruit.
Interesting. I think we were all assuming there would be four recruits available for the 2019 class with speculation that someone like Layssard would leave after this season. By bringing in this recruit do we still have four recruits for 2019 or are we still expecting more roster turnover?
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Just read that article by Kevin, not that surprised. Good luck to Mike! Now onto our own Greek Freak.
0 x
GO RAMS
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

To me the most interesting part of that article is this little snippet.

Senior Ryan Preston looks ready to make a step up in his game and Cox said freshmen Jermaine Harris (6-8) and Tyrese Martin (6-6) are “both ready to compete for immediate playing time.”

I hope that turns out to be the case regarding Preston!
0 x
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

Follow Aris on Instagram
Screenshot_20180912-142700.png
0 x
4Diffs
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 4Diffs »

I will be the first to admit I know nothing about this guy. The google machine shows he played nine games last year for a team called Doukas Athens that went 5-25 in the HEBA-A2 league. If stats on this site are to be believed, he played a total of 29.7 minutes in these nine games and scored a total of 6 points with no rebounds. Not sure what kind of league this is, whether he was young for the league, but he virtually did not play for this team. Does anybody know where Sutton saw him?

https://basketball.realgm.com/player/Ar ... ary/108153
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

4Diffs wrote: 5 years ago I will be the first to admit I know nothing about this guy. The google machine shows he played nine games last year for a team called Doukas Athens that went 5-25 in the HEBA-A2 league. If stats on this site are to be believed, he played a total of 29.7 minutes in these nine games and scored a total of 6 points with no rebounds. Not sure what kind of league this is, whether he was young for the league, but he virtually did not play for this team. Does anybody know where Sutton saw him?

USA 16 Adidas camp
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

4Diffs wrote: 5 years ago I will be the first to admit I know nothing about this guy. The google machine shows he played nine games last year for a team called Doukas Athens that went 5-25 in the HEBA-A2 league. If stats on this site are to be believed, he played a total of 29.7 minutes in these nine games and scored a total of 6 points with no rebounds. Not sure what kind of league this is, whether he was young for the league, but he virtually did not play for this team. Does anybody know where Sutton saw him?

I guess this is one where we really have to trust the staff, unless he only had a year of eligibility for some strange reason. I can’t see them tying up a scholarship on this kid for 4 years unless there is something we are missing. This may have taken away are 4th scholarship for 2019, unless someone is leaving. I usually haven’t been a fan of transfers, but this might be the route to go outside of Bishop, McLeod and Walker signing. Not a great day of recruiting news. I’m hoping McLeod signs soon.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Based on his IG photos from 2017 he has some size. He is not skinny. Similar size as Walker for height and weight.
He posted a video of the Ryan Center floor last night on his IG story.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Based on his IG photos from 2017 he has some size. He is not skinny. Similar size as Walker for height and weight.
He posted a video of the Ryan Center floor last night on his IG story.
I think this guy is going to be the same story as Layssard in that there will be at least 2 years of riding the bench and hoping that he somehow develops and contributes after that point. He might have the size of Walker, but i’m guesding they are worlds apart.
0 x
FattsAndFurious
Steve Chubin

Unread post by FattsAndFurious »

Can't mean good things for our 2019 class. Kind of a bummer on that note. Hope this kid can bring more to the table than Layssard.
0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

"Cox said he was looking forward to getting a look at the Greek in workouts this week".
Hmmmm.

This video is two years old, but he is a lefty that seems to know how to play:

Can shoot a little. Can drive left.
If he is really a legit 6'8" now (listed as 6'6" in the video), he is probably Akele 2.0 - maybe better.
He is playing against poor competition in this video, so it is hard to tell.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

He was 6’6” two and a half years ago. Now is listed as 6’8”.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Really doesn’t change 2019 other than we may not have room for walker and McLeod. May not be able to take both anyways as both will be looking for some PT and we would be getting crowded at the 4/5.
0 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

I agree with rhodyblue12...I like what I see in those clips from 2 years ago.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Aris was at practice yesterday but didn’t appear to participate. He was seen at the beginning and ending huddles and sitting on the sidelines in sweats during some drills.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

rhodylaw wrote: 5 years ago Really doesn’t change 2019 other than we may not have room for walker and McLeod. May not be able to take both anyways as both will be looking for some PT and we would be getting crowded at the 4/5.
We would always have room for Walker and McLeod. They play different positions and are superior talents with more upside than Tsourgiannis. The videos are difficult to tell, but it doesn’t look like great competition. At this point holding out hope for Bishop and Walker/more likely McLeod. It will fun to watch the rest of the 18 class this year
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Found this: http://www.proballers.com/basket-ball-p ... reer-stats
Shows the 2015 - 2016 season stats as well. Doesn't look great as far as stats go, but they don't always tell everything.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Friend Chris DiSano likes the pickup:
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

Guess coach was missing a Euro with Akele gone!!!
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

So tough to tell on a 2 plus year old video...but he looks really skilled and confident.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

If that’s two years ago, he looks promising.
1 x
GO RAMS
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Can we sticky this
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

We need PF's this year. If Preston is ready to contribute and Harris can make a quick transition to college then we are looking at 3 guys for two spots, assuming CL doesn't average 40 minutes per there are probably around 50 minutes per game to go around. Based on the look of Aris as of two years ago, he may be able to make an impact this season, if not right away by mid-season perhaps. I like having options on the bench ready to fill roles. This looks like a good get Rhody.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Running Ram wrote: 5 years ago We need PF's this year. If Preston is ready to contribute and Harris can make a quick transition to college then we are looking at 3 guys for two spots, assuming CL doesn't average 40 minutes per there are probably around 50 minutes per game to go around. Based on the look of Aris as of two years ago, he may be able to make an impact this season, if not right away by mid-season perhaps. I like having options on the bench ready to fill roles. This looks like a good get Rhody.
I don’t think you can assume that this guy can play right away. Coach Cox doesn’t even know much about him. Is there a chance they found someone that no one knows about since he isn’t from the US and he becomes one of those gems that is a 4 year contributor? Sure, but highly unlikely and he has a much higher percentage of taking over Layssards spot on the bench. We don’t know what type of competition he played against and the stats that were shown looked poor. Layssard played against poor competition in high school and if I remember was rated higher than Cyril coming into school. To me this is more telling on where they stand with their current recruits. It is very difficult to recruit at URI against the larger schools which is why Hurley kept fighting for a practice facility and many other things that we needed to compete. Cox and his staff are doing everything they can, but we are fighting an uphill battle it seems.
0 x
4Diffs
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 4Diffs »

RamStock wrote: 5 years ago
Running Ram wrote: 5 years ago We need PF's this year. If Preston is ready to contribute and Harris can make a quick transition to college then we are looking at 3 guys for two spots, assuming CL doesn't average 40 minutes per there are probably around 50 minutes per game to go around. Based on the look of Aris as of two years ago, he may be able to make an impact this season, if not right away by mid-season perhaps. I like having options on the bench ready to fill roles. This looks like a good get Rhody.
I don’t think you can assume that this guy can play right away. Coach Cox doesn’t even know much about him. Is there a chance they found someone that no one knows about since he isn’t from the US and he becomes one of those gems that is a 4 year contributor? Sure, but highly unlikely and he has a much higher percentage of taking over Layssards spot on the bench. We don’t know what type of competition he played against and the stats that were shown looked poor. Layssard played against poor competition in high school and if I remember was rated higher than Cyril coming into school. To me this is more telling on where they stand with their current recruits. It is very difficult to recruit at URI against the larger schools which is why Hurley kept fighting for a practice facility and many other things that we needed to compete. Cox and his staff are doing everything they can, but we are fighting an uphill battle it seems.
Ramstock, do not take this the wrong way but your posts are starting to grate on me in a major way. They are all so gloom and doom and filled with major assumptions and certainties that do not exist any place but in your mind. When you post the same message multiple times it is annoying, but I can live with that. But to go in and rebut one of the few positive posts in this board in quite a while to repeat the same message you have posted, is that really necessary? Runnin Rams analysis could very well be correct, none of us know. Your constant comparison of this guy to Layssard is getting old fast, as is this must mean our 2019 recruiting is screwed as well. It is time for me to step away from this board for awhile, as clearly it is starting to make me cranky.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

I can assume Mike L. was going to ride the bench - so an option that may work out is better than a know bust. Also I am sure Mike will go on and have a nice career at a lower level, just wasn’t quite up to a top 25 talent and there is no shame in that.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

4Diffs wrote: 5 years ago
RamStock wrote: 5 years ago
Ramstock, do not take this the wrong way but your posts are starting to grate on me in a major way. They are all so gloom and doom and filled with major assumptions and certainties that do not exist any place but in your mind. When you post the same message multiple times it is annoying, but I can live with that. But to go in and rebut one of the few positive posts in this board in quite a while to repeat the same message you have posted, is that really necessary? Runnin Rams analysis could very well be correct, none of us know. Your constant comparison of this guy to Layssard is getting old fast, as is this must mean our 2019 recruiting is screwed as well. It is time for me to step away from this board for awhile, as clearly it is starting to make me cranky.
4diffs-He will be an All A-10 player. How is that? I can get your point on Layssard, but this is the way I feel as I think we are so close to pushing down the door to be another Gonzaga. Another strong class would put us in great shape. None of us know for sure what will happen with this guy or really any of the recruits. If we all said the exact same things there would be no debates. I hope this kid is a star and choke on my words. I like this coaching staff very much and have doing but good things to say about how they conducted themselves and the recruiting process.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Sutton is high on him. We'll see.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Ha! I'm not saying the whole world missed on someone that would come in and dominate as a frosh, I'm saying he may be able to give minutes when guys are in foul trouble come mid-season, if he is great, he'll be or someone will be needed this year in such a role. Gotta put this year's squad in it's best position to win, if we want to continue to be the class of the A10 we have to keep winning, this season.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhody staff has been looking at players since Akele left. Adding Aris has nothing to do with how the staff feels about “where they stand” with the ‘19 recruits.
4 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Rhody staff has been looking at players since Akele left. Adding Aris has nothing to do with how the staff feels about “where they stand” with the ‘19 recruits.
Finally, someone said it.
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Sutton was recruiting Aris since July. Sutton has recruiting connections in Europe.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Like this move a lot. Sounds like Aris has some potential and is a nice replacement for Meezy

I am not expecting a contribution this year but in the future he may pan out. I trust our staff
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

I trust David Cox on evaluating players - how you can trust the rest of the staff when we have no record to work with. If this kid works out, sutton gets my confidence.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rhodylaw wrote: 5 years ago I trust David Cox on evaluating players - how you can trust the rest of the staff when we have no record to work with. If this kid works out, sutton gets my confidence.
That is a fair statement.
Cox trust Sutton’s evaluation and he has known Sutton for a long time.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Aris was dressed in street clothes at the Holy Cross game.....wonder if a redshirt is possible....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
FattsAndFurious
Steve Chubin

Unread post by FattsAndFurious »

Ramulous wrote: 5 years ago Aris was dressed in street clothes at the Holy Cross game.....wonder if a redshirt is possible....
Can't hurt at this point.

Honestly no offense to the kid, but I really wish we used that scholarship on a shooter. We need a guy who can light it up, especially with Fatts' shooting now a major question mark. Silverio might be that guy, but clearly we need another kid who can score form the perimeter.
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Ramulous wrote: 5 years ago Aris was dressed in street clothes at the Holy Cross game.....wonder if a redshirt is possible....
Absolutely not.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I think Aris is a one year wonder.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Heard a rumor this weekend that Aris has a 17 year old teammate back in Greece that is 7 feet tall.....he's supposed to be good.....for what it's worth
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Can’t redshirt since he already played in the regular season. Are you saying he has a medical issue which would allow a waiver for medical hardship ?
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

More likely a transfer to a lower level school. This was a recruiting mistake by Cox and Sutton.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago More likely a transfer to a lower level school. This was a recruiting mistake by Cox and Sutton.
It was intentional.
0 x
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago More likely a transfer to a lower level school. This was a recruiting mistake by Cox and Sutton.
It was intentional.
Enlighten us...
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

URI_05 wrote: 5 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago
It was intentional.
Enlighten us...
I have believed all along that this is where the extra scholarship came from that allowed us to take Walker from Georgetown. I think he was brought in this year as an extra body for practice and given a scholarship for this year only as it helped both parties. We will see, but find it hard to believe that they could be this far off on their judgement of his overall talent.
1 x