Week #5 - Games of Interest

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: Week #5 - Games of Interest

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago If only we could shoot good for goodness sakes.
You ain't kidding! PC and UMass...aren't good....but where does that leave us?
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

He he enjoy that loss for your resume Pee Cee !!!!!
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Surprising result tonight given UMass had previously lost to Harvard, HOWARD, and Holy Cross at home in the last month.
Last edited by RF1 5 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

At one point, UMass had less than a 2% chance of winning the game.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

PC is now 7-3 and of their 7 wins are any of them quality ???
1 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

It’s amazing what happens when you start to make some shots.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Wow. I checked the score at halftime saw UMass down 18 and went back to what I was doing. Couldn’t believe they won.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

reef wrote: 5 years ago PC is now 7-3 and of their 7 wins are any of them quality ???
Yes, their last game they beat BC at BC.
They also beat S. Carolina (neutral site) which may not turnout to be a quality win.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago Kevin’s post game write up

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports ... -steal-win
Of course he tweets about a no call on PC’s last second shot. It wasn’t a foul. How about the back to back calls against UMass - ref called 3 second violation right when UMass player scored from 20 feet. Then PC jumped all over UMass player when they lost the ball on offense and ref called a kick ball on UMass.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago
reef wrote: 5 years ago PC is now 7-3 and of their 7 wins are any of them quality ???
Yes, their last game they beat BC at BC.
They also beat S. Carolina (neutral site) which may not turnout to be a quality win.
South Carolina is not good this season. They have home losses to Stony Brook and Wofford and got beat at @Wyoming to go along with loss to PC at Mohegan Sun. They are 4-4 with no good wins (SC Upstate/Norfolk St/GW/Coastal Carolina).
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Of course he tweets about a no call on PC’s last second shot. It wasn’t a foul. How about the back to back calls against UMass - ref called 3 second violation right when UMass player scored from 20 feet. Then PC jumped all over UMass player when they lost the ball on offense and ref called a kick ball on UMass.
Little Kevie looks as silly as Cooley going after the refs. The refs did not cost PC this game. This loss is on the Friar players and coaches. They frittered away a 20 point lead AT HOME.
3 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

My favorite tweet of the night.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

If URI could shoot, we could’ve done the same thing to them on Saturday when they only scored 20 points in the second half.

1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

TCU up 20 on USC at half in L.A.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Bill is reading the board tonight! Bill, Can a brother get a h/t?
TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago At one point, UMass had less than a 2% chance of winning the game.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Is PC winning at BC really a quality win ???
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......was at the Dump tonite, two games were played, each 20 minutes, PC shot like 64% from three in the first game and UMass shot the three well in the second game.....Holloway is goona be a problem for us(IMHO) in that we could get guys(CL)into could trouble, not that they go to him much......his massive size is a factor to fight around screens, the offense at times looks like ours, Pipkins runs everything while others stand on the perimeter and watch......yes he got 26, but lots of misses.....we gotta defend the three line.....they played mostly, man......who defends Pipkins for us?......they being awful, first half yes, second no......makes me think HC tomorrow is gonna difficult game......seeing a UMess tonite, makes me think a split of the two games is it......if the go to Holloway down low often, we could be in for long nites......looking ahead to the sked, by the time we see them for the first time, we will know much more about ourselves and even much much more by the second time......so will they......and so will the rest of the A-10.....
Last edited by section(105) 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago Surprising result tonight given UMass had previously lost to Harvard, HOWARD, and Holy Cross at home in the last month.
They seem to have trouble against teams beginning with H. Perhaps we drop the R for our tilts against UMass....
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago Bill is reading the board tonight! Bill, Can a brother get a h/t?
TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago At one point, UMass had less than a 2% chance of winning the game.
The “bad loss” response was to my tweet.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
steviep123
Sly Williams

To be fair in in earlier pick and pop podcast McNamara specifically said Bentil did push Garrett to get a rebound and game winner against URI 3 years ago. His exact words “the tape doesn’t lie”
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago

Little Kevie looks as silly as Cooley going after the refs. The refs did not cost PC this game. This loss is on the Friar players and coaches. They frittered away a 20 point lead AT HOME.
Li'l Kevie is just transcribing what the Pee-C sports information office told him to write.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

I said this last year -- Pipkins and Pierre can be scary.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

reef wrote: 5 years ago Is PC winning at BC really a quality win ???
BC has an existing NET of 96, a KenPom of 78, and a Sagarin of 91.
A quadrant 1 road game is 1-75. A quadrant 2 road game is 76-135.
If a Q1 game is a "great" win and a Q2 game is a "good" win, so far it stands up as a quality win.
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

In another game of two halves, #6 Nevada stormed back from a first half deficit that reached 16 points to beat #20 Arizona State, thereby ending ASU's 20 game OOC win streak. Final score was 72-66.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Lots of Saturday action in the A-10. Besides URI at Holy Cross, 1:05 PM, the six other games are:

Saint Joseph's at #21 Villanova, 2 PM. On FS1.

Rutgers at Fordham, 2:30 PM. On CBSSN.

#17 Buffalo at St. Bonaventure, 4 PM. On ESPN+.

Valparaiso at George Washington, 4 PM. On ESPN+.

Penn at La Salle, 4 PM. On ESPN+.

Dayton at #8 Auburn, 8:30 PM. On SECN.

In games involving URI OOC opponents:

Pittsburgh at West Virginia 12 PM. On ESPN2.

Stony Brook at Brown, 2 PM. On ESPN+.

Harvard at Vermont, 7 PM. On ESPN+.

Murray State at Middle Tennessee, 8 PM. On ESPN+.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

BC will get hammered in ACC play with rankings falling big time.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

eli#10 wrote: 5 years ago BC will get hammered in ACC play with rankings falling big time.
Probably true but if my math is right there are 10 ACC teams currently in the NET Top 50. Their SOS will rise drastically. They'll still get cracks at plenty of big names. All they have to do is hold a NET of 135. They'd have to play really crappy basketball to drop to a Q3 game. It's not impossible but I'd probably say it's more probable than not they they hold as a Q2 win.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 5 years ago
eli#10 wrote: 5 years ago BC will get hammered in ACC play with rankings falling big time.
Probably true but if my math is right there are 10 ACC teams currently in the NET Top 50. Their SOS will rise drastically. They'll still get cracks at plenty of big names. All they have to do is hold a NET of 135. They'd have to play really crappy basketball to drop to a Q3 game. It's not impossible but I'd probably say it's more probable than not they they hold as a Q2 win.
The question is, if BC ends up something like 4-14 in the ACC will the committe consider it a bad loss? I can’t answer that as I don’t know how NET will ultimately work. That said PC has plenty more chances to prove their worth as does URI. On to West Virginia.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Fordham beating Rutgers by 5 in the second half.
1 x
OhioRam32
Abdul Fox

Unread post by OhioRam32 »

Brown just beat Stony Brook....
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Fordham beat Rutgers
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

OhioRam32 wrote: 5 years ago Brown just beat Stony Brook....
Stony Brook stinks and I that was obvious watching our game against them. That was a Fordham 2017 or St Joe 2018 level bad game by us.
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

GTown was up 13 at half then gives up 50 points in the second half to lose to Syracuse by one.
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

UCONN makes a run to get within 7 so ESPN goes to a split screen of the game action and Hurley for three possessions. PLEASE. I want to watch the game. Florida State scores 5 in a row to go back up 12. No more split screen.
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago UCONN makes a run to get within 7 so ESPN goes to a split screen of the game action and Hurley for three possessions. PLEASE. I want to watch the game. Florida State scores 5 in a row to go back up 12. No more split screen.
Agreed. I hate when they do that. 5 seconds is more than enough. 3 possessions?

Also I almost forgot how much fun Hurley getting a technical was(n’t).
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

A-10 goes 2-5 for the day with the Rams the only winners!

Saint Joseph's loses to Villanova, 70-58. This was Villanova's 25th straight Big 5 victory. St Joe's played without the services of Charlie Brown, the A-10's top scorer.

Fordham surprised Rutgers, 78-70 to move their record to 7-2. Freshman Nick Honor put in a career high of 30 points and was 5-7 from beyond the arc. The game marked the first visit to Rose Hill by a Big Ten team in 83 years.

Buffalo moves their record to 9-0 as they whip St. Bonaventure decisively, 80-62.

On the strength of a season-high 15 of 27 3-pointers, Valparaiso beat George Washington, 82-79.

Penn kept La Salle in the winless column, 83-65. Freshman reserve Michael Wang put in 18 points to key the win as the Quakers continued their best start in over 20 years.

Dayton starts off slowly and gets into a big hole as they lose at #8 Auburn, 82-72.

in the Backyard Brawl rivalry game West Virginia beat Pitt, 69-59. WVU is team that excels at forcing opponent turnovers and Pitt committed 24 in the game. though WVU had its own sloppy play and turnovers.

Brown edged Stony Brook, 71-69. Brown had a 7 point lead with less than 2 minutes remaining when a Stony Brook surge pulled the Seawolves to one with 9 seconds left, but Brown held on

Vermont beat Harvard 71-65. The Crimson led most of game building a second half lead to 10 points, but Vermont surged to tie game and then take the lead with less than 5 minutes left and Harvard could not recoup.

Murray State routs Middle Tennessee, 64-42.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Say it ain't so Rutgers and when was the last time Fordham beat a P5 team ????

Dayton covers a big number at Auburn

LaSalle and GW are God awful
0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago UCONN makes a run to get within 7 so ESPN goes to a split screen of the game action and Hurley for three possessions. PLEASE. I want to watch the game. Florida State scores 5 in a row to go back up 12. No more split screen.
I know I will draw the ire of Ace here, and I am still firmly in the "Grateful-for-all-Dan-did-for-URI" camp, but ...
I watched the UConn game too and Dan was an absolute raving lunatic on the sideline.
When he was here, I always thought "Man that passion is great!" now that he is another team's coach, it just looks bad.
I believe they went to a split screen to point this out. They say there's no such think as bad press, but it came across as just plain obnoxious.
Every call - I mean EVERY call, he complained. Now I totally understand why the refs all hated us.

I mean, I get it. He inherited a team with talent that lacked effort and drive, and he is trying to fire them up.
But if he could just dial it back a bit and only go to 10 on the dial at key times, he'd have a less negative impact.
He has taken a step back from the Zen he achieved last year (tongue in cheek).

The guy doing the color commentary was very complementary of Dan though, saying he was the right guy for UConn.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

rhodyblue12 wrote: 5 years ago
I know I will draw the ire of Ace here, and I am still firmly in the "Grateful-for-all-Dan-did-for-URI" camp, but ...
I watched the UConn game too and Dan was an absolute raving lunatic on the sideline.
When he was here, I always thought "Man that passion is great!" now that he is another team's coach, it just looks bad.
I believe they went to a split screen to point this out. They say there's no such think as bad press, but it came across as just plain obnoxious.
Every call - I mean EVERY call, he complained. Now I totally understand why the refs all hated us.

I mean, I get it. He inherited a team with talent that lacked effort and drive, and he is trying to fire them up.
But if he could just dial it back a bit and only go to 10 on the dial at key times, he'd have a less negative impact.
He has taken a step back from the Zen he achieved last year (tongue in cheek).

The guy doing the color commentary was very complementary of Dan though, saying he was the right guy for UConn.
His sideline antics seemed to be more under control the last couple of years here. This can't be good for his health.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Most UConn fans I know think Dan reminds them of Calhoun on the sideline. Haystack used to blow his stack often.....they don't care as long as they win.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Sparse action on this Sunday, last day of Week #5 with three games in the A-10:

Longwood at Duquesne, 1 PM. On ESPN+.

In an intra state battle, VCU takes on #4 Virginia in Charlottesville, 1:30 PM. On ACCNE.

Oregon State at Saint Louis, 3:30 PM. On ESPNU.

D2 Georgia College at Charleston, 2 PM.

South Florida at potential opponent Charlotte, 2 PM.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Fyi, VCU vs Virginia is on NESN. VCU is up 2 early in the second half.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Fyi, VCU vs Virginia is on NESN. VCU is up 2 early in the second half.
Of course it is on NESN. The network considers two Virginia schools battling each other as very important to New Englanders. You see it thinks, that because BC is now in the ACC, any game involving its members is of great interest to viewers across all six states of the region's viewers. That is why they for several years have shown ACC scores on the bottom screen score ribbon BEFORE New England college scores.

NESN - where New England means little
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I'm glad NESN carries the ACC. One of the top conferences in its sport, I'll gladly take a few extra of their games every year.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 years ago I'm glad NESN carries the ACC. One of the top conferences in its sport, I'll gladly take a few extra of their games every year.
And during a Bruins game, you like to see all the ACC scores first scroll along the bottom BEFORE seeing New England scores? Do you like also when they get one New school score up and then break for commercial only to start over again with the ACC scores once back?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 years ago I'm glad NESN carries the ACC. One of the top conferences in its sport, I'll gladly take a few extra of their games every year.
And during a Bruins game, you like to see all the ACC scores first scroll along the bottom BEFORE seeing New England scores? Do you like also when they get one New school score up and then break for commercial only to start over again with the ACC scores once back?
Not a problem. Aren't we supposed to hate all the other New England schools? The good ones anyway? :lol: :lol: :lol:
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

In an exciting finish in the Hall of Fame Classic in Phoenix, Tennessee which had trailed Gonzaga most of the second half beat the Zags on a 3-pointer with 24 seconds remaining, 76-73. A last ditch Gonzaga trey attempt with less than ten seconds failed to connect.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Nice win for SLU, creepy mascot and all.
Go Antelopes!
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

VCU and Dayton have played some real tough games in their OOC schedules. VCU gave Virginia everything they could handle today on the road, beat Texas on the road and really got screwed against St John's at Barclay's. Dayton has played Butler, Virginia, Oklahoma, Miss State and Auburn.
1 x