Week #5 - Games of Interest

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Re: Week #5 - Games of Interest

Unread post by ace »

But which one would I pick? (I couldn’t care less about their national championships, but my god, you set that up so perfectly)

Not surprising that Bona looks like they’re going to win their third in a row with Stockard back in the line-up.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

ace wrote: 5 years ago But which one would I pick? (I couldn’t care less about their national championships, but my god, you set that up so perfectly)

Not surprising that Bona looks like they’re going to win their third in a row with Stockard back in the line-up.
I guess you will wait for the one DH wins. That Rhody banner will look good for a long time.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

VCU up 1. Texas ball 6.6 left
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

The A-10 goes 6-1 on the evening:

Duqesne beats a good Marshall squad, 93-82. Michael Hughes put in 20 points and freshman Sincere Carry added another 19.

Richmond beats a winless Coppin State, 82-47.

Saint Joseph's takes a nice road win at Princeton, 92-82.

St. Bonaventure routs Siena, 82-40. Stockard contributed 17 points, but game high scorer was senior guard Nelson Kaputo with 21.

George Washington edged Towson, 68-64.

Big road win by VCU as they edge Texas, 54-53.

Saint Louis was the only loser tonight as the Billikens were beat on the road by a good Southern Illinois team, 61-56.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

VCU hangs on. Texas had a wide open look from three that just missed. Incidentally the announcers were talking about VCU’s schedule and showing the end of the “loss” to St. John’s. One announcer asks, “was it a foul?” The other answers, “absolutely!”

On to Temple at Villanova in a Big 5 matchup of two former A10 teams. In highlights shown of this game in the earlier one, the announcers mention they think Temple is an NCAA team despite “the A10 being down.” Someone forgot to tell them Temple left the A10 5 or 6 years ago (I’d love to get them back).

Anyway Nova is up 50-47 with 4:39 left.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

In games involving URI OOC opponents:

Brown loses at Butler, 70-55. The Bruins got into an early double digit deficit which they could not overcome despite stronger play in the second half.

Stony Brook wins it sixth straight at Manhattan, 69-62, but the Seawolves were not impressive in the effort. Manhattan grabbed the lead with 3 minutes remaining, but Stony Brook held on aided by several critical three point misses by the Jaspers in the last minute of game.

Middle Tennessee routed at Vanderbilt, 79-51.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

steviep123 wrote: 5 years ago
On to Temple at Villanova in a Big 5 matchup of two former A10 teams. In highlights shown of this game in the earlier one, the announcers mention they think Temple is an NCAA team despite “the A10 being down.” Someone forgot to tell them Temple left the A10 5 or 6 years ago (I’d love to get them back).

Villanova was never in the A10.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
steviep123
Sly Williams

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago

Depends on how you look at it. They were in the Eastern 8 which became the A10 after they left. So they were in the conference.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

It was in the Eastern-8, the league which later changed its name to the A-10. Villanova was not even an original Big East member. It joined in year two.

People seem to forget the league's history. Original schools were UMass, Rutgers, Villanova, GW, Penn State, Pitt, Duquesne, and West Virginia. Later adds were St Bonaventure, URI, Temple, St Joe's, Va Tech, Lasalle, Fordham, Richmond, Xavier, Dayton, Charlotte, St Louis, VCU, G Mason, Butler, and Davidson.

Hard to believe that what is now a 14 team league, has had 24 different members since its first year of play in 1976. Even harder to believe, given the profiles of its present members, is that it was mostly made up of large northeastern public state schools during its early years.
Last edited by RF1 5 years ago, edited 4 times in total.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Nova wins by 10. In a close game that had Temple up by 4 with about 6 to play, Villanova kicked it up a level and ended the game on a 26-12 run for a 10 point win. This gave Nova their 5th or 6th straight Big Five win and puts them in a tie with Temple with 27 total. St. Joes has 20, while Penn has 13 and LaSalle 11. Some of the “championships are shared.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

steviep123
Sly Williams

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago

It was in the Eastern-8, the league which later changed its name to the A-10. Villanova was not even an original Big East member. It joined in year two.

People seem to forget the league's history. Original schools were UMass, Rutgers, Villanova, GW, Penn State, Pitt, Duquesne, and West Virginia. Later adds were St Bonaventure, URI, Temple, St Joe's, Va Tech, Lasalle, Fordham, Richmond, Xavier, Dayton, Charlotte, St Louis, VCU, G Mason, and Butler.
You could make a great league out of all the teams that were stolen from the A10. Yet the resilient A10 still survives.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Nice night for the A10 and a huge win for VCU !!
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago I really don't care what uconn does, and based on that picture above, neither do their fans.
I care. I hope they go 0-30 -- unless they're playing that hideous, disgusting institution in the old mental hospital, when I want to see a double forfeit.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

People seem to forget the league's history. Original schools were UMass, Rutgers, Villanova, GW, Penn State, Pitt, Duquesne, and West Virginia. Later adds were St Bonaventure, URI, Temple, St Joe's, Va Tech, Lasalle, Fordham, Richmond, Xavier, Dayton, Charlotte, St Louis, VCU, G Mason, and Butler.
You could make a great league out of all the teams that were stolen from the A10. Yet the resilient A10 still survives.

Villanova
Pitt
West Virginia
Temple
Butler
Xavier
Virginia Tech
Penn State
Rutgers
UNCC

Thats a pretty damn good 10 team league.

Funny for all the crap the Big East talks about leagues like the A10...they sure do seem to raid us constantly for their top teams.

Nova, Pitt, WV, X, Butler, VT all directly taken from the A10
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

In late results last night, TCU climbed out of a 6 point halftime hole to snap SMU's four game win streak, 67-59.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote: 5 years ago Funny for all the crap the Big East talks about leagues like the A10...they sure do seem to raid us constantly for their top teams.

Missed Rutgers. You could also add Temple as it had been extended and accepted an all sports invite to the Big East. The Catholic 7 however later broke away just months before they were to officially join and thus ended up in what was left - now called the AAC.

It was so very hypocritical for the Big East and its media ass-kissers (several in the local area) to cry about them eventually being raided. It never seemed to be bad when they were doing the raiding. The core BE Catholic schools themselves were involved in stealing EIGHT teams from one league alone (A-10).
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 5 years ago
theblueram wrote: 5 years ago I really don't care what uconn does, and based on that picture above, neither do their fans.
I care. I hope they go 0-30 -- unless they're playing that hideous, disgusting institution in the old mental hospital, when I want to see a double forfeit.
Face
To
Palm....
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Not much action on Thursday evening. No games in the A-10.

A potential opponent, Charlotte, visits Wake Forest, 7 PM. On ACCNE.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

It was so very hypocritical for the Big East and its media ass-kissers (several in the local area) to cry about them eventually being raided. It never seemed to be bad when they were doing the raiding. The core BE Catholic schools themselves were involved in stealing EIGHT teams from one league alone (A-10).
The people who were upset were not upset about being raided, but rather the way teams left that left people pissed off and upset. Pitt and Syracuse pitched turning down a sizeable TV deal that would stabilize the conference, and left for another conference shortly after. By doing that, they left the Big East in a very crappy place, having no TV contract in place and no leverage to get a deal done. Had they not pushed so hard on rejected the prior proposal, those schools would have at least had some flat ground to stand on. No one was mad at the other schools were leaving. They might root against them because of prior grudges, but not because they left the Big East.

Same was true with Miami, Virginia Tech, and BC. You can't sit in a board room and say "do this, this, and this and we'll give you the assurance we are staying," have those schools do it, and then work behind the conferences back to leave, and not be surprised people are upset. The football programs had worked very hard to boost resources to meet their expectations. Then, you can't have your AD make douchey comments, like when asked about it, say "I didn't say we would stay forever." It was the way they did it which pissed people off, not that they did it.

The only example I can think of would be if Xavier had sat in the A10 boardroom and told everyone "Hey, we are keeping our options open, but if every A10 school gets to 10,000 seat capacity and boosts their program resources to accomplish X, Y, and Z, we'll stay." And then all of the A10 schools invest to meet their demands, and they say, "Sorry, but we are leaving because we think our long-term growth is better in the Big East."
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 5 years ago, edited 6 times in total.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Da_Process_Survivor wrote: 5 years ago Funny for all the crap the Big East talks about leagues like the A10...they sure do seem to raid us constantly for their top teams.

Missed Rutgers. You could also add Temple as it had been extended and accepted an all sports invite to the Big East. The Catholic 7 however later broke away just months before they were to officially join and thus ended up in what was left - now called the AAC.

Of all the teams the A10 had stolen from them over the course of the years, only 2 weren't stolen by the Big East (Charlotte, went back to Conf USA after adding football, and Penn State to the Big Ten). Nova, Pitt, WV, Rutgers, VT, Butler, Temple, Xavier (X and Butler stolen by the new big east). It was quite hypocritical to hear the cries over the ACC stealing their teams when BC, Syracuse, Miami, and Va Tech bolted (I can't remember if Pitt and Notre Dame also bolted at the same time). Unfortunately, the Big East raided the A10 yet again to survive, stealing X and Butler.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Villanova was in the Eastern 8 and not in the Atlantic 10.
They were in the Eastern 8 for 4 years (1976-1980).
They have been in the Big East for 38 years (1980- )!
You want to complain about the Big East stealing Villanova.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Villanova was in the Eastern 8 and not in the Atlantic 10.
I'm stating facts. The Eastern 8 and the Atlantic 10 are the same. From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_10_Conference:

"The Atlantic 10 Conference was founded in 1975 as the Eastern Collegiate Basketball League (ECBL) and began conference play in 1976. At that time, basketball was its only sport. After its first season, it added sports other than basketball and changed its name to the Eastern Athletic Association. However, despite its official names, it was popularly known as the Eastern 8, as it then had eight members (Villanova, Duquesne, Penn State, West Virginia, George Washington, Massachusetts, Pittsburgh, and Rutgers).

After changes in membership that saw charter members Villanova and Pittsburgh leave (in 1980 and 1982, respectively) and new members St. Bonaventure (1979), Rhode Island (1980), Saint Joseph's (1982), and Temple (1982) enter, establishing the league with 10 members, the conference adopted the current Atlantic 10 name in 1982."

The Big East stole Villanova first in a long string of raiding from the A10 to either make themselves stronger, stave off other leagues stealing football schools, and/or rebuilding after being raided themselves by the ACC and the whole having an unhappy marriage between FBS and non FBS schools in what was going to become a very large (maybe 21 teams?) league.

I don't blame the non FBS (aka Catholic 7 schools) from breaking away to do their own thing. I do wish they didn't yet again raid from the A10 to be successful.

The argument that Villanova was almost 40 years ago (which I'd counter with the above - that it was the start of a long string), but the fact remains, Villanova was in fact in the league that changed it's name to the A10.

All that said, perhaps I should be somewhat thankful. If Nova and Pitt don't bail, does URI get invited, or are we stuck in the America East?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I'd imagine we'd get in, just based on the timeline that we were in before Pittsburgh left and St. Joe's and Temple joined.
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
steviep123
Sly Williams

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago I'd imagine we'd get in, just based on the timeline that we were in before Pittsburgh left and St. Joe's and Temple joined.
Good point....if anything, if Villanova doesn't leave, neither St. Joe's not Temple get invited. Nova would have kept them out.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Villanova was in the Eastern 8 and not in the Atlantic 10.
The Eastern-8 became the A-10. It just changed its name. Kept the same HQ office and commissioner. Just like the Big East became the AAC. It just sold the old name to the Catholic schools that departed and formed their own NEW league. The current Big East is technically in a legal corporate sense not the old Big East. The AAC is.
Last edited by RF1 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......going to the Dump tonite, to check out UMess......just to see how”awful”......
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I've never had a harder time figuring out who to root for in a game then that PC/UMass disaster tonight. I mean I definitely want UMass to win, but it feels so dirty. I guess i hope they win 1-0 with both teams having the most embarrassing performances in the history of the sport.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I "like" UMass way more than PC. It feels like we have a ton in common with UMass, besides the obvious conference connection, so I view them as more of a sibling rival. PC it feels like a richer neighbor who acts like they live in a significantly better town and wants to rub it in any chance they get even though they just live on a nicer street a couple blocks over.
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......going for me is more about taking in another game opportunity with common opponent, and getting an eye ball test/scout on UMess than rooting either way.......I enjoy games like these with no emotional skin the game......and a pregame brew at Union Station.......
Last edited by section(105) 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Friday Night action in the A-10:

UMass at PC, 7 PM. On FS1.

James Madison at George Mason, 7 PM. On ESPN+.

Bryant at Columbia, 7 PM. On ESPN+.

TCU versus USC in the first game in the Hall of Fame Classic at the Staples Center in LA. 9:30 PM. On FS1.

Other games of interest:

In the second game in the Hall of Fame Classic, unbeaten #6 Nevada meets unbeaten #20 Arizona State, 11:59 PM. On ESPN2.
Last edited by Obadiah 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

Obadiah wrote: 5 years ago Friday Night action in the A-10:

UMass at PC, 7 PM. On FS1.

James Madison at George Mason, 7 PM. On ESPN+.

Bryant at Columbia, 7 PM. On ESPN+.

TCU versus USC in the first game in the Hall of Fame Classic at the Staples Center in LA. 9:30 PM. On FS1.

Other games of interest:

In the second game in the Hall of Fame Classic, unbeaten Nevada meets unbeaten Arizona State, 11:59 PM. On ESPN2.
Wish the Nevada vs ASU game wasnt on so late, i'll have it DVR'd though. great matchup
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

section(105) wrote: 5 years ago ......going for me is more about taking in another game opportunity with common opponent, and getting an eye ball test/scout on UMess than rooting either way.......I enjoy games like these with on emotional skin the game......and a pregame brew at Union Station.......
Yeah totally get that. I'll watch it on TV for the same reason.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Definitely pulling for UNass to win as if they do that pins a bad loss on PC
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I feel like Rashaan Holloway has actively resisted any attempt to lose weight, and, in a way, I respect that.

Hey remember when UMass had a scheduled press conference to announce their new coach, and then he said, “nah, I’m good” the day of it? That’s fun for them.
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ace wrote: 5 years ago I feel like Rashaan Holloway has actively resisted any attempt to lose weight, and, in a way, I respect that.

Hey remember when UMass had a scheduled press conference to announce their new coach, and then he said, “nah, I’m good” the day of it? That’s fun for them.
I walked right by Holloway (and a few other UMass players) in Brooklyn last year when there for the NIT games, and I have never felt so small before in my entire life.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago I "like" UMass way more than PC. It feels like we have a ton in common with UMass, besides the obvious conference connection, so I view them as more of a sibling rival. PC it feels like a richer neighbor who acts like they live in a significantly better town and wants to rub it in any chance they get even though they just live on a nicer street a couple blocks over.
You know, there are health care professionals that could help you work through that, right?
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago I "like" UMass way more than PC. It feels like we have a ton in common with UMass, besides the obvious conference connection, so I view them as more of a sibling rival. PC it feels like a richer neighbor who acts like they live in a significantly better town and wants to rub it in any chance they get even though they just live on a nicer street a couple blocks over.
You know, there are health care professionals that could help you work through that, right?
:lol: :lol:
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

UMass is not good. Not impressed with the coach. Team is out of control. They lost composure on offense in the first half and he did nothing. The team lacks any discipline. Pipkins is a turnover machine who throws up a lot of shots. Will score a lot of points on a losing team. He is 6-14 (1-5 from three) with 4 TOs. The turnover number seems low.
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Officials bailing out PC right now in a big way.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago UMass is not good. Not impressed with the coach. Team is out of control. They lost composure on offense in the first half and he did nothing. The team lacks any discipline. Pipkins is a turnover machine who throws up a lot of shots. Will score a lot of points on a losing team. He is 6-14 (1-5 from three) with 4 TOs. The turnover number seems low.
UMASS now up 77-76
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

UMass might pull this off...
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Umass upsets PC.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

UMASS goes from 18 down at the half to beat PC 79-78 at the Dunk
Say it ain’t so Ed Cooley
Nice A10 win over BE
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

UMass beats PC by 1. Down 20 in the first half.
Piere hits 5-6 threes.
Pipkins drives by Duke for easy layup for the winner.
PC collapse.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Anyone catch Cooley at the end? As the buzzer sounded, he ran out onto the court under the basket going after the officials. Not a good look.

Real choke job by the Friars. Squandered a 20 point lead at home.
Last edited by RF1 5 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
HobbyBurley
Jeff Kent

Unread post by HobbyBurley »

Like they didn’t get all the calls leading up to that 🙄
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago UMass is not good. Not impressed with the coach. Team is out of control. They lost composure on offense in the first half and he did nothing. The team lacks any discipline. Pipkins is a turnover machine who throws up a lot of shots. Will score a lot of points on a losing team. He is 6-14 (1-5 from three) with 4 TOs. The turnover number seems low.
UMASS now up 77-76
Impressed with UMASS coach now?
Or unimpressed by Cooley? Or both?
PC board saying worst loss like this since Dayton
It’s not over til it’s over
Very nice win for the A10 snatching victory from almost sure defeat

PC wanted the foul on Diallo at the end but..........
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Nice win for our UMASS Alum Athletic Director who was at the game tonight
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago Anyone catch Cooley at the end? As the buzzer sounded, he ran out onto the court under the basket going after the officials. Not a good look.

Real choke job by the Friars. Squandered a 20 point lead at home.
Loved it. Like Cooley thinks he is supposed to get that call at the Dunk :lol:
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

If only we could shoot good for goodness sakes.
1 x
GO RAMS