The David Cox Era

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Re: The David Cox Era

Unread post by ace »

I imagine there’s some overlap in the group of people who are wildly negative now (everything is an abomination and let’s shit on a 20 year old!!) and who were willfully positive before (everything great that ever happened over the last few years is because of DC and now they will be even better!!). Some people are just irrational. I think it fuels them. There’s just more attempts at course correction of the conversation when it’s negative, which is not a bad thing. A head coach sometimes gets credit when it should be shared with others and definitely gets criticism when it is not fully deserved. Not fair, but it’s all part of the deal.
10 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Taylor Swift wrote: 5 years ago The team is currently .500. This isn't a sinking ship or a dumpster fire. Things can be improved and adjusted. There is a ton of practice time between now and the Holy Cross game, and then another week of practice time followed by that before the WVU game. Have some compassion for a coach in a new role with a young team. I don't know how many times people have to say this. If this was February different story, but we've just started the month of December.
+1
5 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Agreed. I know everybody’s entitled to their own opinions but I think you need to go to give Cox little bit of a break here. I’m in Jersey guy, I’ve known the Hurley’s for about two decades. Psyched when Hurley came aboard. I remember a few years back (prior to the glory days) where Rhody fans were calling for Danny’s ouster and I know that wore on him. I always said he’d probably keep that in the back of his head if he ever got the chance to go to a top tier power 5. But that’s neither here nor there.
Over the past few weeks, we’ve come across a bit whiny. Like we’re used to winning every game each year. I get it. Everyone wants to win. But cut Cox a little slack. He’s 6 games in. New team. Let’s focus on letting the team work out it’s kinks and focus on the A10.
We’re in the retooling phase. Everything is gonna be ok...

That being said. I would love to see the team push the ball a bit more. I trust Cox to make adjustments where necessary.
9 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

SandorClegane wrote: 5 years ago Agreed. I know everybody’s entitled to their own opinions but I think you need to go to give Cox little bit of a break here. I’m in Jersey guy, I’ve known the Hurley’s for about two decades. Psyched when Hurley came aboard. I remember a few years back (prior to the glory days) where Rhody fans were calling for Danny’s ouster and I know that wore on him. I always said he’d probably keep that in the back of his head if he ever got the chance to go to a top tier power 5. But that’s neither here nor there.
Over the past few weeks, we’ve come across a bit whiny. Like we’re used to winning every game each year. I get it. Everyone wants to win. But cut Cox a little slack. He’s 6 games in. New team. Let’s focus on letting the team work out it’s kinks and focus on the A10.

That being said. I would love to see the team push the ball a bit more. I trust Cox to make adjustments where necessary.
TBH, that was year 4 for Hurley after the Fordham meltdown calling for his ouster. At the time it seemed we were done. Until a winning streak through the Conference Tournament and an auto bid. Maybe it played on him. But if that run didn't happen, I wonder how things would have turned out.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago
SandorClegane wrote: 5 years ago Agreed. I know everybody’s entitled to their own opinions but I think you need to go to give Cox little bit of a break here. I’m in Jersey guy, I’ve known the Hurley’s for about two decades. Psyched when Hurley came aboard. I remember a few years back (prior to the glory days) where Rhody fans were calling for Danny’s ouster and I know that wore on him. I always said he’d probably keep that in the back of his head if he ever got the chance to go to a top tier power 5. But that’s neither here nor there.

TBH, that was year 4 for Hurley after the Fordham meltdown calling for his ouster. At the time it seemed we were done. Until a winning streak through the Conference Tournament and an auto bid. Maybe it played on him. But if that run didn't happen, I wonder how things would have turned out.
Me thinks if that run doesn't happen in 2017 (instead of running the table for 9 straight wins through the A10 tourney), and they go something like 6-2 down the stretch and lose in the A10 tourney they go to the NIT that year and still the NCAA last year.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Any one hear anything in regards to the distribution of the West VIrginia versus URI game tickets at the Mohegan Sun? When the pickup date might be?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

They originally said mid-November, then on the 19th there was a follow up email that allocation probably wouldn't happen until this week with Ryan Center pickup probably not until next week, plus there will be onsite pickup at Mohegan.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago They originally said mid-November, then on the 19th there was a follow up email that allocation probably wouldn't happen until this week with Ryan Center pickup probably not until next week, plus there will be onsite pickup at Mohegan.
Thanks. Yeah I got the email in regards to the Mid-November. Must have missed the other email.
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

83 referenced some changes in the in-season approach to conditioning and weight training. Anyone have any details?
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

sevegny7 wrote: 5 years ago Any one hear anything in regards to the distribution of the West VIrginia versus URI game tickets at the Mohegan Sun? When the pickup date might be?
Just got a call today that they are allocating tickets now. Should hear from them again early next week with details.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......if you asked to be mailed, they will, if not there are box office pick dates/times coming in an email.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ace wrote: 5 years ago 83 referenced some changes in the in-season approach to conditioning and weight training. Anyone have any details?
Yes. Biggest change is, minimum of a week of R & R between games.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 years ago
ace wrote: 5 years ago 83 referenced some changes in the in-season approach to conditioning and weight training. Anyone have any details?
Yes. Biggest change is, minimum of a week of R & R between games.
.......and hopefully some serious study hall for everyone, as final exams approach......hope there will be no end of semester notice of anyone not cutting it.....big adjustments there for the freshmen too......
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I don’t have any specifics. It might not be a problem. Chase told me he had slight changes to what Marshall was doing last year. I mentioned strength & conditioning in a post and someone responded to my point with weight lifting. I didn’t say that. My point was they should at least look at things that changed from last year and Chase has made some changes. The tweet below from Chase made me think of it. Train. Compete. Train. Compete. All season long. I think Chase is going to do a great job. The question is are the players adjusting to his in season training program and is that impacting their shooting.
2 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

I follow Chase on IG and looks like he’s doing an excellent job. My favorite is when he had the guys doing cartwheels. Cyril was nailing each one! 😂
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago
My point was they should at least look at things that changed from last year....

I doubt the thing that changed from last year that is impacting the team is the strength and conditioning program. Freshmen shots have looked like freshmen shots, rushed when open and with a little too much strength which comes from being too hyped up. When they settle the shots will start falling.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I was just wondering if anyone knew specifics about his approach or philosophy. It’s such an interesting field to me, and I’ve had the chance to talk with more trainers and coaches recently through some projects with students and concussion education. I also have a friend who works in that role with a local D2 school, and even at that level, the work has evolved so much.
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ace wrote: 5 years ago I was just wondering if anyone knew specifics about his approach or philosophy. It’s such an interesting field to me, and I’ve had the chance to talk with more trainers and coaches recently through some projects with students and concussion education. I also have a friend who works in that role with a local D2 school, and even at that level, the work has evolved so much.
I talked with Chase at the season ticket holder event. He was explaining some of it but I don’t recall the specifics. It was over my head. On a separate point he did mention that he hopes to have a basketball only S&C room with some different equipment some time this summer. He made the request to Cox and coach asked him to put the proposal together. It sounded like they would use part of the space identified for the practice facility. The equipment would be used in the practice facility when it is built.

Ace, you should ask him. He seems excited to share. Great guy.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Can definitely see weight training as a possible reason why no one can shoot anymore.
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rhodylaw wrote: 5 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago
My point was they should at least look at things that changed from last year....

I doubt the thing that changed from last year that is impacting the team is the strength and conditioning program. Freshmen shots have looked like freshmen shots, rushed when open and with a little too much strength which comes from being too hyped up. When they settle the shots will start falling.
Does the answer to every question need to start with “freshmen ....”. Against PC the non-freshmen shot 13-44 (29.5%) and 1-14 (7.1%) from three. The non-freshmen that don’t play the post are shooting the following so far this year - Fatts FG 23.6%, 3P 16.3%; Thompson FG 36.2%, 3P 31.3%; Dowtin 46.3%, 3P 20.0%
3 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Those 3 are 22 for 100 from 3. That’s brutal.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I am not so sure about all the weight training during the season

I am an outside shooter and I never liked to do any kind of weight lifting close to a game
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago Those 3 are 22 for 100 from 3. That’s brutal.
That is right. Our top three outside shooters are 22-100 on 3P. They are a Jr, Jr & Soph.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Is it a coincidence that every player is having their worst shooting season ever? Honestly beginning to think there’s something off in practice/fitness training that would effect an entire team. Makes sense.
0 x
GO RAMS
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago Is it a coincidence that every player is having their worst shooting season ever? Honestly beginning to think there’s something off in practice/fitness training that would effect an entire team. Makes sense.
or, crazy thought here, its just the fact that no player came into the year with a defined role (either because theyre a freshman or because they are filling the leadership void) and there is a feeling out process while guys learn said new roles.

Also, this is what a team looks like when basically every piece is new. It takes time to build chemistry and trust. And its not a pretty process to watch at times
2 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Building chemistry and trust leads to not being able to hit an open outside shot???

The Fatts situation is a stand alone problem - he is taking a lot of bad shots and he isn’t a good outside shooter. Now the mental aspect has been added and he can’t hit his driving layup that he was consistent with last year. Then last game he started missing FTs.

Thompson - I just don’t think he is a good shooter. Never was.

Jeff - maybe a mini slump. I think he worked hard this offseason on his outside shot. He was very good against Harvard, Bryant & St Johns. I think Jeff will shoot well this year.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Opponents aren't stupid....they are focusing on Jeff because they know he's our most consistent backcourt player by far.

And he's not getting enough help from Fatts and CT...and the freshmen aren't there yet. Where would we be without Cyril?

We had better hope that those freshmen start shooting better, which I expect they will in the near future...weren't they all good shooters coming in?
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago Is it a coincidence that every player is having their worst shooting season ever? Honestly beginning to think there’s something off in practice/fitness training that would effect an entire team. Makes sense.
A lot of people have been posting something similar, so I'm just using this one as a jumping off point, but what's more likely causing issues leading to poor shooting? A small change in training or refusing to play our starting point guard at the point, so players aren't set up as well to shoot?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

watch the games, we're getting open shots and missing them, there is a combination of factors, coaching and playing, leading to poor percentages. Perhaps pressure and expectations are the underlying issues. Again, we'll have to be patient. Those who are pooping on Fatts for poor play and Cox for poor coaching will be eating crow. Furthermore, anyone who truly thought we'd be 5-1 right now isn't being realistic.
2 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Running Ram wrote: 5 years ago watch the games, we're getting open shots and missing them, there is a combination of factors, coaching and playing, leading to poor percentages. Perhaps pressure and expectations are the underlying issues. Again, we'll have to be patient. Those who are pooping on Fatts for poor play and Cox for poor coaching will be eating crow. Furthermore, anyone who truly thought we'd be 5-1 right now isn't being realistic.
I was one of the most optimistic in the prediction contest - I expected us to be 4-2 at this point. We are 3-3 with some of the worst shooting percentages in the country. When the shots start falling we will be good.
1 x
FattsAndFurious
Steve Chubin

Unread post by FattsAndFurious »

rhodylaw wrote: 5 years ago
Running Ram wrote: 5 years ago watch the games, we're getting open shots and missing them, there is a combination of factors, coaching and playing, leading to poor percentages. Perhaps pressure and expectations are the underlying issues. Again, we'll have to be patient. Those who are pooping on Fatts for poor play and Cox for poor coaching will be eating crow. Furthermore, anyone who truly thought we'd be 5-1 right now isn't being realistic.
I was one of the most optimistic in the prediction contest - I expected us to be 4-2 at this point. We are 3-3 with some of the worst shooting percentages in the country. When the shots start falling we will be good.
Maybe it’s petty of me to even compare, but a lot of people here were saying Hurley should stay because he had more to work with here than at UConn this year. But clearly either that’s not the case, or Cox has faced a steeper learning curve than we expected. Because I hate to admit it, but UConn would wipe the floor with us right now. Then again they have a senior 5 star point guard which never hurts.

Our shooting will definitely improve because it’s almost impossibly bad right now. That will help, but we’re already in a spot where we will likely need to win the conference tournament to make the dance
0 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

by Running Ram » 1 hour ago

watch the games, we're getting open shots and missing them, there is a combination of factors, coaching and playing, leading to poor percentages. Perhaps pressure and expectations are the underlying issues. Again, we'll have to be patient. Those who are pooping on Fatts for poor play and Cox for poor coaching will be eating crow. Furthermore, anyone who truly thought we'd be 5-1 right now isn't being realistic.

Yep! EC and JT didn't walk through the door this season they are gone! Jeff has upped his game. But guess what, as much as he tries he cant' turn
Fatts and CT into the 4 and 5 year version's of JT & EC whom he had the benefit of passing to the last two years. Cyril has upped his game and is now the combination of himself and Andre, so he has replaced all the production from last year out of the 5 spot. You can't ask anything more from him except maybe a few less turnovers.CT is coming back from sitting for 1 year and a half. The Freshmen are er...freshmen. They will come along throughout this year. We won't know what this recruiting class is until next year at least. The expectations are they are going to perform like one and dones' right out of the gate. They are not. Things will get better but making the NCAAT this year was a massive pipe dream. If we are really, really lucky we might smell the NIT this year. I thought I was being optimistic with my 16-14 prediction. Only time will tell. Give coach Cox and the rookies some time to develop in their new roles. Lots of people on this board are willing to be patient as long as they don't have to wait and we still find a way to win 20+ games and get an at large in the dance. That's not patience.
3 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago
A lot of people have been posting something similar, so I'm just using this one as a jumping off point, but what's more likely causing issues leading to poor shooting? A small change in training or refusing to play our starting point guard at the point, so players aren't set up as well to shoot?
I think there might be another explanation, which is that slumping can be contagious. If it’s physical you’re just bad, so a slump is mental by definition. One guy slumps, he starts pressing leading to more and worse shots, leading to both fewer chances for other guys and added pressure to capitalize on those chances (both for yourself and for the good of the team), that guy is now pressing and forcing things, etc. And you stack that on top of freshmen who are being asked to play significant roles, which some freshmen may do better with in the immediate short term than others. And on top of that you have a new coach who hasn’t had the experience of breaking a team out of that kind of thing before.

To me, it’s just a confluence of different factors that all happen to be working against URI right now, which I didn’t predict but I do think is understandable. I don’t think any of those factors are permanent - I expect that guys will hit some shots and the young guys will get comfortable and Cox will settle in and then you’ll have a much different looking team. I guess it’s possible none of that will happen and this is just who we are and we will finish 330th in shooting and win 11 games, but I honestly don’t think that is likely and so I’m not that worried about it at this point.

Water finds its level, so until I’m convinced that this really is our level I’m going to be patient and wait for the correction.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.......maybe Coach Cox should take them bowling......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

….or to a shooting range….see if they can hit a few bullseyes....lol
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think we under estimated how much we would miss JT EC Jarvis and Stan as 3 point shooters . All those guys could really get hot
1 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

How about we stop bombing 3s? None of our guards where recruited as spot up 3 point shooters. Fatts/slasher, Jeff/slasher, Martin/slasher, Thompson/slasher. These guys should be getting to the hole, not settling for deep 3s. The only guy you’d probably spot up (eventually) is Silverio.
Start up the run and gun offense and get to the hole! Maybe post up Harris a bit more in half court sets and see if it opens up the offense. Eventually if he starts making shots, defenses will be forced to double him, which opens up lanes to slash more.
Just my two cents.
2 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

SandorClegane wrote: 5 years ago How about we stop bombing 3s? None of our guards where recruited as spot up 3 point shooters. Fatts/slasher, Jeff/slasher, Martin/slasher, Thompson/slasher. These guys should be getting to the hole, not settling for deep 3s. The only guy you’d probably spot up (eventually) is Silverio.
Start up the run and gun offense and get to the hole! Maybe post up Harris a bit more in half court sets and see if it opens up the offense. Eventually if he starts making shots, defenses will be forced to double him, which opens up lanes to slash more.
Just my two cents.
.......like push the ball quickly and attack before the zone defense sets up......?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
bmat07
Abdul Fox

Unread post by bmat07 »

SandorClegane wrote: 5 years ago How about we stop bombing 3s? None of our guards where recruited as spot up 3 point shooters. Fatts/slasher, Jeff/slasher, Martin/slasher, Thompson/slasher. These guys should be getting to the hole, not settling for deep 3s. The only guy you’d probably spot up (eventually) is Silverio.
Just my two cents.
Well said. It drives me crazy watching this team settle for 3s when we have the speed, athleticism, and grit to take it to the rack. I actually have been impressed with Cyril's improved shooting and we need to work that into our game more. 3 point shooting will improve as the season goes on b/c lets be honest it has no where really to go but up. In the meantime, embrace the strengths we have rather than ignore them.
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

More usage for Cyril is not the answer, and what improved shooting? He has missed about a dozen layups, commits 4 turnovers per game, commits 2 charges per game, and has taken 63 shots through 6 games. More usage for Cyril is not the answer. He has had to be relied upon because no one else is contributing consistent offense. And to be clear, he has been huge for us in these first 6 games god knows where we would be without him. But more Cyril is not the elixir here for our offensive woes. The key is Harris and Martin IMO. They are the most likely guys that have the skill set to step up and become solid 8-10 ppg guys by conference play, with the occasional outburst. Harris particularly could open up a lot of our offense if he is someone we can run offense through in the half court. With more guys contributing Jeff could fall back into more of a facilitator that still looks for his shot but also is setting others up. Jeff's assist stats are wayyyy down from last 2 years, as are the the team Assist stats, mostly bc no one can hit a shot but also bc no one has stepped up as a consistent scoring threat beyond Cyril.

Also agree with the yearning for more uptempo. Even with shots falling, and more guys contributing, this isn't a roster that is made to thrive in half court. I would have liked to see us try to increase tempo more, press, trap, force the action on D to instigate live ball turnovers, bad shots and run outs. Haven't seen much of that.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Lol man where were all you “coaches” when DH bolted. You guys would be of much better use on the sidelines somewhere. ESPECIALLY, considering all of your approaches and strategies are clearly the “right” ones. Silly of us to think these guys actually KNOW their personnel. Utterly clueless down there on the floor, ay? It’s obvious some of you fellas true talents are being wasted posting here. Look out Brad Stevens....

And for the record, Jeff was a very high percentage 3 pt shooter in HS, as was Tyrese. Check out the stats sometime.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago Lol man where were all you “coaches” when DH bolted. You guys would be of much better use on the sidelines somewhere. ESPECIALLY, considering all of your approaches and strategies are clearly the “right” ones. Silly of us to think these guys actually KNOW their personnel. Utterly clueless down there on the floor, ay? It’s obvious some of you fellas true talents are being wasted posting here. Look out Brad Stevens....

And for the record, Jeff was a very high percentage 3 pt shooter in HS, as was Tyrese. Check out the stats sometime.
........love this one......exactly, that is what we(well some of us)do here...... nothing better than being a fan where a little knowledge is a fun thing.......we can be coaches, recruiters, AD/s, search committee chairs, journalists, announcers, facility managers, food concessions managers, strength coaches, etc. and course game refs......
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

section(105) wrote: 5 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago Lol man where were all you “coaches” when DH bolted. You guys would be of much better use on the sidelines somewhere. ESPECIALLY, considering all of your approaches and strategies are clearly the “right” ones. Silly of us to think these guys actually KNOW their personnel. Utterly clueless down there on the floor, ay? It’s obvious some of you fellas true talents are being wasted posting here. Look out Brad Stevens....

........love this one......exactly, that is what we(well some of us)do here...... nothing better than being a fan where a little knowledge is a fun thing.......we can be coaches, recruiters, AD/s, search committee chairs, journalists, announcers, facility managers, food concessions managers, strength coaches, etc. and course game refs......
...and it’s cool, Monday Morning Quarterbacking can be fun, sometimes, until you really believe you’ve been overlooked all these years and GM’s settle for guys like Mike Tomlin. (I love Tomlin btw)

Point being, nothing we say here is factual, because it’s always hindsight dictating the critique. If things worked perfect, all the time, we’d be happy campers.

At some point, you have to believe, the powers that be, from the AD on down, know what they’re doing, a little more than us keyboard warriors do. That’s all.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago
section(105) wrote: 5 years ago

...and it’s cool, Monday Morning Quarterbacking can be fun, sometimes, until you really believe you’ve been overlooked all these years and GM’s settle for guys like Mike Tomlin. (I love Tomlin btw)

Point being, nothing we say here is factual, because it’s always hindsight dictating the critique. If things worked perfect, all the time, we’d be happy campers.

At some point, you have to believe hope, the powers that be, from the AD on down, know what they’re doing, a little more than us keyboard warriors do. That’s all.
Fixed it.
2 x
bmat07
Abdul Fox

Unread post by bmat07 »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago More usage for Cyril is not the answer, and what improved shooting? He has missed about a dozen layups, commits 4 turnovers per game, commits 2 charges per game, and has taken 63 shots through 6 games. More usage for Cyril is not the answer. He has had to be relied upon because no one else is contributing consistent offense. And to be clear, he has been huge for us in these first 6 games god knows where we would be without him. But more Cyril is not the elixir here for our offensive woes. The key is Harris and Martin IMO. They are the most likely guys that have the skill set to step up and become solid 8-10 ppg guys by conference play, with the occasional outburst. Harris particularly could open up a lot of our offense if he is someone we can run offense through in the half court. With more guys contributing Jeff could fall back into more of a facilitator that still looks for his shot but also is setting others up. Jeff's assist stats are wayyyy down from last 2 years, as are the the team Assist stats, mostly bc no one can hit a shot but also bc no one has stepped up as a consistent scoring threat beyond Cyril.

Also agree with the yearning for more uptempo. Even with shots falling, and more guys contributing, this isn't a roster that is made to thrive in half court. I would have liked to see us try to increase tempo more, press, trap, force the action on D to instigate live ball turnovers, bad shots and run outs. Haven't seen much of that.
facts are facts- 6 games into the season Cyril has doubled his FGM avg. from last year's avg (avg. 5.5 vs. 2.4) and tripled his FGA (10.5 vs. 3.7). I meant to say his jump shot looks better. Yes, he still has a tendency to miss easy layups, but you cant deny that his outside shooting has improved. I think we fans have gotten so used to seeing guard play dictate the game flow for the last 6 plus years and we're not embracing that we have two very skilled bigs in Cyril and Harris. Lets go back to the Luther Clay and ARD days and see that from Cyril and Harris.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I only recall Cyril hitting 1 shot from beyond 3 feet. But no doubt he has been a better finisher around the rim this year.

As for DCRAMS, isn't that what this and any message board is for? Conjecture. I can't speak for anyone else, but I can tell you that this isn't my first rodeo and I am able to dissect the game beyond the average fan. And I think there are others on here that can as well. I'm not saying that to be an asshat, just to say I am not throwing around ideas that aren't grounded in a knowledge of the game at a decently high level. If we are to listen to you, and just trust the staff, what the hell do we have a board here for and what are we talking about. Why not end every thread with, 'trust the staff'. And again this is all for conversation purposes, not in an attempt to even hint that I know more than our staff who gets paid to do this job.
5 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago I only recall Cyril hitting 1 shot from beyond 3 feet. But no doubt he has been a better finisher around the rim this year.

As for DCRAMS, isn't that what this and any message board is for? Conjecture. I can't speak for anyone else, but I can tell you that this isn't my first rodeo and I am able to dissect the game beyond the average fan. And I think there are others on here that can as well. I'm not saying that to be an asshat, just to say I am not throwing around ideas that aren't grounded in a knowledge of the game at a decently high level. If we are to listen to you, and just trust the staff, what the hell do we have a board here for and what are we talking about. Why not end every thread with, 'trust the staff'. And again this is all for conversation purposes, not in an attempt to even hint that I know more than our staff who gets paid to do this job.
Huge difference between conjecture, and simply saying “just do what I say, and it will work”. Like I said, Monday morning QB’ing is fun. It’s what fans and sports enthusiasts do, but assuming you have the remedy for all the teams problems right at the tip of your fingertips, is ludicrous. What makes it even more ludicrous, is that some propel their own disdain, from building their own hype and from a couple likes from fellow like minded posters.

I didn’t mean to imply that we, as fans/supporters, don’t know diddly, but projecting hindsight theories into reality via keaneyblue.com will always make you SOUND like a genius, or like someone who knows a little something, ESPECIALLY, when we lose.

In the end, we are all left chasing our own tail.

Carry on, by all means fellas, just don’t forget we all clock in somewhere other than the Ryan Center on a day to day basis.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Who ever said "just do what I say and it will work"?
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago Who ever said "just do what I say and it will work"?
It’s the underlying implication behind every, “why is Cox doing this, he should....” statement.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I also don't see anyone saying "Cox should be doing this..." in any of the posts above -- all i see are some fans, with varying degrees of basketball competency, offering up their own opinions on potential areas of improvement or change. I think that's pretty much what you see on 99.9% of all internet fan boards.
0 x