'19 MD F Marial Mading (Pacific Commit)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Re: '19 MD F Marial Mading (URI Signed LOI)

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago

I don’t care what my guy 83 says, I’m excited about this kid.

Wait wait. Then this guy Hustle on Twitter refers to him as "Mariah". I have had some doozies for autocorrects, but Mariah? HAHA! :roll: :lol:
2 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Based on Cox comments on his radio show this week, It seems that Mading will not really get playing time as a Freshmen. Cox talked about his unique skill & size and the need to develop. I believe his comments where around Mading having the potential to develop into a special player in two years.
Sounds like a red shirt nominee 🤷‍♂️
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

CT Rhody wrote: 5 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Based on Cox comments on his radio show this week, It seems that Mading will not really get playing time as a Freshmen. Cox talked about his unique skill & size and the need to develop. I believe his comments where around Mading having the potential to develop into a special player in two years.
I know you love the redshirt idea but it very rarely happens for an incoming Fr. You don’t tell the kid how much you want him and then redshirt him once he shows up. You also don’t want to tie a scholarship up for 5 years if the player ends up not having an impact.
The redshirt can happen if 8-10 games into the season the player hasn’t been in a game yet.
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Football has an interesting model -- It's that you can't play more than 4 games, total.
So for example, Washington has an senior OT, Trey Adams, one of the best in the country.
Suffered from a back injury that sidelined him for most of the season.
Unlike basketball, he has been able to come back.
He played in a few regular season games, last night's Pac-12 Championship, and again in the Rose Bowl.
He can come back to school next year healthy and improve his draft stock.
I wish basketball had a similar model. Better for the student-athletes.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago
CT Rhody wrote: 5 years ago
I know you love the redshirt idea but it very rarely happens for an incoming Fr. You don’t tell the kid how much you want him and then redshirt him once he shows up. You also don’t want to tie a scholarship up for 5 years if the player ends up not having an impact.
The redshirt can happen if 8-10 games into the season the player hasn’t been in a game yet.
You are right 83, I see the red shirt option as a tool to develop underclassmen and give them that extra year of growth, maturity, etc. Having an older team is a good thing after all. As for having guys stuck here for 5 years, scholarships are renewed annually, in this day and age of over 600 transfers a year I don’t see that being a big issue.

Agreed though that nobody should be redshirted off the bat, all 13 guys can an equal opportunity for playing time and as the season moves into week 3-4, whatever guys haven’t earned they way into the rotation, you can look at player 12 or 13 for redshirt opportunity if appropriate.

Just my two sense.
0 x
rhodywins
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by rhodywins »

Maybe we can look into doing what UCON just did with the new 4 star they signed yesterday. He is not on a top prep team so he is going to start college in the second semester this year. He is hoping to be a one and done so it isn't the same as Mariel would be. As a prep student Mariel (I think it is his 5th HS year) most likely would be able to attend URI second semester and practice with the team. Seeing his Prep school team is not a top team the practice time at rhody would benefit him a lot more. I would not suggest this for a high school kid who is 4 years at his school but the way the prep kids move around is different.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I have no idea what Mading’s academic situation is, but when you look at guys like Akok or Mading, I think the biggest advantage to getting them in early is the access they get to the strength and conditioning guys.
0 x
Slim
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Slim »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Mading full game:

13 points
2FG 5-10
3FG 1-7
Total FG 6-17
Reb 5
Ast 4
Steals 2
Blocks 2
TO 3

Team lost by about 20
He is a perimeter player. Had his shot blocked three times underneath.

I have no idea why he picked this school. They aren’t good. Coach isn’t good. There are HS in WMass that are better.
The team went 4-24 FTs. They committed about 35 fouls.

Comparing Mading to Dana Tate at this point last year I would put Tate significantly ahead of Mading.
Mading has potential.

I agree with you on Mading. He was at HS in MD before heading north. He never showed any production was all potential cause of length mostly.

Long I think will be solid. Good motor, and good athlete will compete.
0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

[/quote]

[/quote]

83 - I love all you bring to this board, so this is not a personal thing, I just disagree on this point.

It rarely happens here at URI - but you can talk to a player, lay it all out for them and make a case where the red shirt decision is mutual. It can be the best decision for the player. I am a believer that the 13th scholarship should continually be used for either a transfer or a red shirt. A case where a player is skilled but not strong enough is a perfect case.

Also, scholarships are renewed every year. You can move a player out in a manner where you create a better situation for him and the team without ruining the school's reputation (see Layssard, Mike).

That said, before I went away I made a facetious comment about Mading and Long "dominating" their leagues. To be honest, I actually thought neither was a good use of a scholarship and that they would both really struggle this year. However, both seem to be off to fairly good starts and so I may have to admit I was wrong. I think about what a 9th-10th man on a URI team has historically looked like and both seem to be be an upgrade over that - with decent growth potential. Call it the "Akele" test - a solid player who could give you 8-10 min and not hurt you. (full disclosure - this viewpoint is easier for me to accept now that we have Walker in the fold for next year)

Last point - Mading still only looks about 6'8" to me in the video above - unless there were 6 other guys 6'11" or bigger playing in that game.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Realistically, does anybody expect any of the freshmen to crack the nine man rotation? With walker in the fold and this years freshmen class being a year older and more experienced, hard to see either of the three to get rotation minutes their freshmen year. Just my two sense but as we know, this can certainly change on a dime with further development, injuries, etc.
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I agree about using the 12th & 13th scholarships on transfers or redshirts. My preference is transfers. We have had great success with KI, Stan, Berry. It’s hard to recruit against the P5 (see Anthony Walker, McLeod & Bishop). The P5 over recruit and then a group of these kids end up being pushed to the end of the bench (Stan and KI). Rhody needs to aggressively go after the kid who was rated Top 100 that gets pushed aside.

Mading is 6’10”. I watched him against a kid 6’8” and 6’11” last week. I was talking to the father of the 6’8” kid (BU recruit) and he said his son was 6’8”. Mading also looked 6’10” to me in person.

Rhody needs Guard help next year. Hammond has the best chance of getting playing time.
1 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Agree on Hammond - can't wait to see him play for us.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago I agree about using the 12th & 13th scholarships on transfers or redshirts. My preference is transfers. We have had great success with KI, Stan, Berry. It’s hard to recruit against the P5 (see Anthony Walker, McLeod & Bishop). The P5 over recruit and then a group of these kids end up being pushed to the end of the bench (Stan and KI). Rhody needs to aggressively go after the kid who was rated Top 100 that gets pushed aside.

Mading is 6’10”. I watched him against a kid 6’8” and 6’11” last week. I was talking to the father of the 6’8” kid (BU recruit) and he said his son was 6’8”. Mading also looked 6’10” to me in person.

Rhody needs Guard help next year. Hammond has the best chance of getting playing time.
I agree with that, Hammond has a chance for rotation minutes if he proves himself. Opportunity is there for the taking.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

If Hammond is the real deal, and with Jeff at the point, there might not be a big role for Fatts…..5 foot 8 inch 2 guards are fine in high school, but not at this level.

And I'm sure Cox will be recruiting PG's for the '20 class....
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago If Hammond is the real deal, and with Jeff at the point, there might not be a big role for Fatts…..5 foot 8 inch 2 guards are fine in high school, but not at this level.

And I'm sure Cox will be recruiting PG's for the '20 class....
Per Cox on his radio show last week, Hammond is 6’6 1/2”. He was that precise.

The staff has stated that the one priority for the ‘20 class is a PG.
Not many Fr PG takeover though. Would probably expect to take the reins as a Soph.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Really hoping that Hammond will be our diamond in the rough and can contribute a lot right away
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

It is "two CENTS" people, not "two sense"

If I didn't get an English degree to correct folks in online forums, then what was it all about?
5 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I'd like to see a clip where the defense against him is really strong. There was no defense being played in that clip.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I was at the game in the clip against the blue team (WMA). They showed most of his scoring plays. He shot 7-18. He was the 4th or 5th best player in the game. The guy tweeting and posting that video on youtube is a hype machine who exaggerates.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I agree that he could have a high ceiling down the road but the competition he is playing against now doesn't look too good

Looks like he can take people off the dribble which is unique at that height

He should be better than Akele
2 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

I don't know. This guy is 6'11" and he's not simply making layups under the basket the entire time. Let that process for a second.
He's a center height-wise, but the guy appears to have quite the handle and shoots a lot from outside the paint. Even without seeing another guy his height playing strong defense against him, I don't know too many guys over 6'10" with good ball handling & an ability to score fairly easily outside the paint...even when left completely open. There are plenty of big guys that struggle to hit an open 3pt shot. Can you imagine how much the offense would open up for Rhody if the opposing team's center (interior presence & shot blocker) has to guard this guy at the 3pt line??
In my opinion, this guy clearly has a better handle and mobility than Langevine coming in as a Freshman. All or most of Cyril's scoring highlights were in or around the paint. He's taller & can hit shots from all around the floor. I mean, how many times have we seen Cyril have butter fingers and lose the ball even when he's open in the paint?? This guy is 6'11"...so shooting over him will be a bit tough for anyone. He's 6'11"...so if he has decent ball handling ability he should be a sure thing to put the ball in the basket when getting an open feed/layup around the hoop. He can hit the 3pt shot when open, which can be a factor because if Cyril were to go to the 3pt line, it's likely the defender wouldn't follow him all the way out there, but with this kid a defender would have to follow him out there.
Obviously, things like ability to play defense & confidence at the next level will play a part, but I'd say this guy is an instant upgrade over anyone we currently have with that kind of height/(6'8"+)...with Harris being a "possible" exception, since I personally haven't seen enough of what he can do yet.
Even if all this guy could do is move quickly, block shots, grab rebounds, & make layups, he'd still likely turn out to be a 10pt per game guy at the worst.
In my opinion, he's clearly not a statue with limited mobility or with an ability to score from just one spot...that is for certain.
3 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

The Dude wrote: 5 years ago I don't know. This guy is 6'11" and he's not simply making layups under the basket the entire time. Let that process for a second.
He's a center height-wise, but the guy appears to have quite the handle and shoots a lot from outside the paint. Even without seeing another guy his height playing strong defense against him, I don't know too many guys over 6'10" with good ball handling & an ability to score fairly easily outside the paint...even when left completely open. There are plenty of big guys that struggle to hit an open 3pt shot. Can you imagine how much the offense would open up for Rhody if the opposing team's center (interior presence & shot blocker) has to guard this guy at the 3pt line??
In my opinion, this guy clearly has a better handle and mobility than Langevine coming in as a Freshman. All or most of Cyril's scoring highlights were in or around the paint. He's taller & can hit shots from all around the floor. I mean, how many times have we seen Cyril have butter fingers and lose the ball even when he's open in the paint?? This guy is 6'11"...so shooting over him will be a bit tough for anyone. He's 6'11"...so if he has decent ball handling ability he should be a sure thing to put the ball in the basket when getting an open feed/layup around the hoop. He can hit the 3pt shot when open, which can be a factor because if Cyril were to go to the 3pt line, it's likely the defender wouldn't follow him all the way out there, but with this kid a defender would have to follow him out there.
Obviously, things like ability to play defense & confidence at the next level will play a part, but I'd say this guy is an instant upgrade over anyone we currently have with that kind of height/(6'8"+)...with Harris being a "possible" exception, since I personally haven't seen enough of what he can do yet.
Even if all this guy could do is move quickly, block shots, grab rebounds, & make layups, he'd still likely turn out to be a 10pt per game guy at the worst.
In my opinion, he's clearly not a statue with limited mobility or with an ability to score from just one spot...that is for certain.
Not sure why you are comparing him to Cyril. Marial is a SF, he was a PG two years ago. Had an Anthony Davis like growth spurt, hence his wiry stature. This kid is going to be a matchup nightmare once fully developed.
Last edited by DC_Rams 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

With his mobility if they put a 4/5 on him for defense he should be able to go by them
fairly easily. Setting up layups or trips to the foul line. if they put a small forward on him
he should be able to post them up for layups. On defense he could be challenged by smaller, quicker
guys he can't keep up with. He also seem to be able to pass pretty well. Could be wicked in the high post with
Cyril/Harris down on the block. Obviously dependent on his development going forward and putting
some muscle on his frame because the college game is a lot more physical that he is seeing at
that low level prep school.
0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

No matter what the defense is in the video above, you have to be able to see the skills.
He has a high floor - definite rotation guy two years from now, with a much higher ceiling.
With the addition of Walker, he does not need to contribute at all next year, just lift and learn.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

All that could be true, but look at his offers, almost no one else saw this high ceiling. I'd caution against taking too much from online videos, and trust people that have seen kids play with their 2 eyes. This kid feels like a project from those posters account, potentially a very high risk/reward guy, but a project nonetheless.
2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago All that could be true, but look at his offers, almost no one else saw this high ceiling. I'd caution against taking too much from online videos, and trust people that have seen kids play with their 2 eyes. This kid feels like a project from those posters account, potentially a very high risk/reward guy, but a project nonetheless.
Go look at Colin Gillespie’s offers. Starting FRESHMAN PG at Nova.

Maine, Albany, Fairleigh Dickinson and Villanova.

The silliest part of your statement is to trust guys who have seen them with their own eyes. Well, your well paid staff at URI has. That’s not more valuable that a internet forum posters opinion?? Sure, lots of us have experience “watching” basketball or maybe even coaching/playing on a much lower level, but our guys have YEARS of combined “experience” evaluating and developing players. Do they miss sometimes, yes. The object of the game is to make more than you miss...only time will tell at this juncture.

Again, your point is what?

Not trying to argue, just debate. Healthily.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago All that could be true, but look at his offers, almost no one else saw this high ceiling. I'd caution against taking too much from online videos, and trust people that have seen kids play with their 2 eyes. This kid feels like a project from those posters account, potentially a very high risk/reward guy, but a project nonetheless.

The silliest part of your statement is to trust guys who have seen them with their own eyes. Well, your well paid staff at URI has. That’s not more valuable that a internet forum posters opinion?? Sure, lots of us have experience “watching” basketball or maybe even coaching/playing on a much lower level, but our guys have YEARS of combined “experience” evaluating and developing players. Do they miss sometimes, yes. The object of the game is to make more than you miss...only time will tell at this juncture.

I agree with bigappleram in that he is a project. We can’t pass judgement on him until he is actually here and plays at the college level. I do know that we have high end freshman who were much higher rated and played against better competition coming out of high school that have struggled to this point. I don’t think we can say that he will be a big contributor by what we are seeing on these videos and games. Why don’t we wait and see. Anyone hanging their hopes for production the next two years might be disappointed. He has the length and size, but let’s see how he matches up in college when he arrives.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

DC you jump on BAR’s point but are ok with Dude’s and Chico’s points which are so overly simplified - he is tall and I saw some things on a highlight video (where they are paid to make a kid look good and can use 2 plays from a 40 minute game). You are biased for Mading and have been so since Day 1.

Some points about Dude’s comments. Watch a full game. I watched him twice in the last two weeks. He doesn’t play down low. In the game against WMA he had a kid 6’8” covering him who is being recruited by BU. The kid was physically stronger and used that defensively. Mading is 6’10”. He really doesn’t jump. He doesn’t seem to like going underneath. He takes his shot from a low release but it is ok because he is tall. I am telling you he was at best the 4th best player in that game and no of the kids playing were going to a school rated at URI’s level.

When you take all the factors in Mading’s recruiting it paints a picture (they can’t all be wrong/majority are accurate):
His scholarship offers were RI, Hofstra, Quinnipiac & Tulane
His 247 Composite raking is 331
He plays for a lower level Prep School that loses most of their games by 20+ points
He doesn’t dominate against the lower level Prep Schools
He sat on the bench his Soph year of HS in MD
He played on a lower AAU team (non-circuit)
He didn’t dominate on the lower AAU circuit
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I don't think it's so much that he's biased for Mading as he's biased for Cox and thinks he can do no wrong
5 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago DC you jump on BAR’s point but are ok with Dude’s and Chico’s points which are so overly simplified - he is tall and I saw some things on a highlight video (where they are paid to make a kid look good and can use 2 plays from a 40 minute game). You are biased for Mading and have been so since Day 1.

Some points about Dude’s comments. Watch a full game. I watched him twice in the last two weeks. He doesn’t play down low. In the game against WMA he had a kid 6’8” covering him who is being recruited by BU. The kid was physically stronger and used that defensively. Mading is 6’10”. He really doesn’t jump. He doesn’t seem to like going underneath. He takes his shot from a low release but it is ok because he is tall. I am telling you he was at best the 4th best player in that game and no of the kids playing were going to a school rated at URI’s level.

When you take all the factors in Mading’s recruiting it paints a picture (they can’t all be wrong/majority are accurate):
His scholarship offers were RI, Hofstra, Quinnipiac & Tulane
His 247 Composite raking is 331
He plays for a lower level Prep School that loses most of their games by 20+ points
He doesn’t dominate against the lower level Prep Schools
He sat on the bench his Soph year of HS in MD
He played on a lower AAU team (non-circuit)
He didn’t dominate on the lower AAU circuit
His ranking is low because he didn’t play significantly before his junior year. He grew 9 inches in a year. Now he is starting, let’s see what his stock does after the season.

You make all these statements yet a much more qualified staff sees what then?

I’m not bias, I just see more along the lines of what the staff see. I’ve seen Mading play, and I don’t agree with your assessments. Let’s wait and see 83 is all I’m saying.

And I am biased for ALL THINGS RHODY! I challenge you to find anything negative I said in regards to Hurley and his recruits when he were here. I am like that will ALL THE TEAMS I SUPPORT.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Sorry but when I see a 6'10 kid in high school that can handle the ball and get his own shots then I want to see that kid driving to the hoop and dunking on people's heads. I want to see them dominate kids 3-4-5-6 inches shorter than them. I don't want to see them taking glorified set shots against lightly contested D. If I saw some freak athleticism, or skills that I think will translate well I would be more optimistic. But right now I see someone that doesn't appear to be very quick, doesn't have high level athleticism, and is putting up some stats on inferior competition all the while being of a size and skill set that should make them very hard to guard. Sounds to me like a project.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Also vis a vis Gillespie...short skilled white guys can fly under the radar much easier than 6'11 guys that can shoot 3's and handle the rock. Coaches generally find those guys, and coaches generally will take a flyer on someone like that if they feel there is a high ceiling. Yet no one of any significance did. There is always an exception to every rule, or an outlier, but to say there aren't some red flags on Mading is just putting your head in the sand. I am a Rhody fan for 30+ years so I hope I am wrong, but simply stating an opinion.
3 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago Sorry but when I see a 6'10 kid in high school that can handle the ball and get his own shots then I want to see that kid driving to the hoop and dunking on people's heads. I want to see them dominate kids 3-4-5-6 inches shorter than them. I don't want to see them taking glorified set shots against lightly contested D. If I saw some freak athleticism, or skills that I think will translate well I would be more optimistic. But right now I see someone that doesn't appear to be very quick, doesn't have high level athleticism, and is putting up some stats on inferior competition all the while being of a size and skill set that should make them very hard to guard. Sounds to me like a project.
I agree he's a project. Someone (not you, BAR) said earlier that they see him as a "high-floor player...definite contributor in two years." I disagree strongly with that sentiment. He's a low-floor high-ceiling player. He might never figure out how to "drive to the hoop and dunk on people's heads." However, as has been mentioned in countless other recruiting threads going back before this board even began, 6'10" kids who can do the types of things that you "want to see" are going to play for Coach Cal and Coach K.

Clearly the URI staff believes he has a better chance of getting close to his ceiling than most other coaching staffs who watched him play. And that's fine, coaches are going to have differences of opinions and differences in roster circumstances on who is able to take a risk on players like this at particular times.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Fair and valid points SF, and much better than "trust the process". Also why I called him a project before someone jumped all over me for it.
Even though the kid is like the text book definition of that. It's not a slight, just the reality.
2 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

I look at this kid at see a poor man’s Akele. Looks like a kid who will ride the pine for a couple years and maybe be a viable rotation player off the bench his final two years.

Hope I’m wrong....
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I know the defense against my evaluation based on watching him play is that the URI coach staff are better evaluators than me which is a very fair statement. I could reverse that and ask are the URI coaches better evaluators than all the schools in their competitive recruiting segment. Let’s say all the top mid majors and mid/low P5 & BE schools. Because the only other school that offered in that space was Tulane. That is saying approximately 100 schools missed on this kids evaluation. Hard to believe.

DC your point - His ranking is low because he didn’t play significantly before his junior year. He grew 9 inches in a year. Now he is starting, let’s see what his stock does after the season.

That really says to me “let’s see if he develops more this year”.
Are you saying no one evaluated him during his Jr year? I doubt that.
Many recruits exploded during the Summer AAU sessions. Mading wasn’t one of them.
He isn’t there yet. He had games against low level competition where he just disappeared.
Not scoring for a full half and not getting any rebounds.
I hope he becomes a super star. I really do.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago I know the defense against my evaluation based on watching him play is that the URI coach staff are better evaluators than me which is a very fair statement. I could reverse that and ask are the URI coaches better evaluators than all the schools in their competitive recruiting segment. Let’s say all the top mid majors and mid/low P5 & BE schools. Because the only other school that offered in that space was Tulane. That is saying approximately 100 schools missed on this kids evaluation. Hard to believe.

DC your point - His ranking is low because he didn’t play significantly before his junior year. He grew 9 inches in a year. Now he is starting, let’s see what his stock does after the season.

That really says to me “let’s see if he develops more this year”.
Are you saying no one evaluated him during his Jr year? I doubt that.
Many recruits exploded during the Summer AAU sessions. Mading wasn’t one of them.
He isn’t there yet. He had games against low level competition where he just disappeared.
Not scoring for a full half and not getting any rebounds.
I hope he becomes a super star. I really do.
Texas Tech offered in 2017.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Gillespie is a sophomore, but whatever...
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I'll reserve judgement on this kid until I see him play for us......remember Toppin has turned out pretty well for Dayton, and he wasn't very highly rated either.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago I'll reserve judgement on this kid until I see him play for us......remember Toppin has turned out pretty well for Dayton, and he wasn't very highly rated either.
That is fair on your judgement.
Regarding Toppin, he wasn’t highly recruited out of high school. He did a post grad year at Mt Zion Prep. Then he redshirted a year at Dayton. Now he is playing well. Toppin is 20 years old. Mading is 18 years old.
1 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

“Regarding Toppin, he wasn’t highly recruited out of high school. He did a post grad year at Mt Zion Prep. Then he redshirted a year at Dayton. Now he is playing well. Toppin is 20 years old. Mading is 18 years old.”

Somewhat similar with Antwan Walker. Just not in the same order.

I have no problem giving the kid one or two years to develop. You never know and if he or some of the other kids explode we will be in great shape.You got to remember this year we have four freshman and next year we will have three additional freshman and a redshirt sophomore. That’s eight players in two classes and if only two out of the eight pop we will be in great shape.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Think you are probably going to need more than 2 of 8 guys to pop over the course of their careers. You only get 13 guys and having 6 upperclassmen taking up space three or four years from now would be a serious problem.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Ideally you have 2 pop in each class. It never ends up that evenly though. You need 8 players out of 13 producing to have a solid rotation.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

By popping, I mean really, really, like Jared Terrell good or better. If the others just meet their initial expectations and be solid Division 1 players we will have a very good team.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

We can choose to trust the coaches in their assessment of players......or we can choose not to trust them....

In the end the head coach's job depends on their success in judging recruits.....too many misjudgments over 3 recruiting cycles will cost any coach his job.....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Ramulous wrote: 5 years ago We can choose to trust the coaches in their assessment of players......or we can choose not to trust them....

In the end the head coach's job depends on their success in judging recruits.....too many misjudgments over 3 recruiting cycles will cost any coach his job.....
I agree.
At URI’s level it is hard to land top recruiting classes in back-to-back years. The concern over playing time in the Fr & Soph years make it difficult. The top programs don’t have this issue. Last year’s top recruiting class made it a challenge to land top 200 targets this year. They got the best players they could for ‘19. We know there are players that have significant potential thT can develop with Mading being one of them. It’s worth recruiting those players at URI’s level especially in a year after the top recruiting class in ‘18. Let’s not forget that URI missed on its top three recruits this year in Bishop, Walker & McLeod. If those three had committed, the only current signee that would be at URI next year would be Mekhi Long.
1 x
FattsAndFurious
Steve Chubin

Unread post by FattsAndFurious »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago
Ramulous wrote: 5 years ago We can choose to trust the coaches in their assessment of players......or we can choose not to trust them....

I agree.
At URI’s level it is hard to land top recruiting classes in back-to-back years. The concern over playing time in the Fr & Soph years make it difficult. The top programs don’t have this issue. Last year’s top recruiting class made it a challenge to land top 200 targets this year. They got the best players they could for ‘19. We know there are players that have significant potential thT can develop with Mading being one of them. It’s worth recruiting those players at URI’s level especially in a year after the top recruiting class in ‘18. Let’s not forget that URI missed on its top three recruits this year in Bishop, Walker & McLeod. If those three had committed, the only current signee that would be at URI next year would be Mekhi Long.
True, but after a coaching change we don't really know what to expect from Cox in an up year. I don't care about the rankings as long as the recruits are productive (Martin and/or Hammond are good examples of that). It's unreasonable to expect Cox to recruit as well as Hurley until he makes the tourney on his own.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

EDIT: Mading’s game is against Woodstock Gold which is the second game - estimated start is 7:45-8:00
Last edited by Rhody83 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

EDIT: Mading’s game is against Woodstock Gold which is the second game - estimated start is 7:45-8:00

Streaming is good.

Last edited by Rhody83 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x