12/01 | @ Providence Friars | 5PM (FS1)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: 12/01 | @ Providence Friars | 5PM (FS1)

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Advice for David Cox....either insert Jeff as point guard going forward, or continue to suck.

Fatts right now is a 10-15 minute a game player....give the freshmen more time to develop...what do we have to lose....besides more games?
5 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Needed more minutes from Harris and things would have been a lot better offensively and rebounding. 4th foul was a killer as it was beyond the top of the circle behind the foul line. That is inexperience.

Omar threw up an air ball on a uncontested 10 footer and Jeff missed everything on a 3 footer in the lane. Unbelievable but things have to get better.

No question that one of the changes has to be Jeff back to the point where he is better able to penetrate and dish to an open shooter. We really did not have many open shots in the half court. Fatts unable to penetrate well as a point guard due to his size. Jeff being 6 inches taller is a big difference.

Really now like Martin over Thompson at this point. Both played great D on Diallo and I really liked it when Diallo was mouthing off against Martin and Tyrese gave it right back to him.

Hang in there guys.

FTF FTF FTF and Cooley
2 x
Ramrod
Kenny Green

Unread post by Ramrod »

DC, I recommend just not coming on here after losses. I wasn’t going to, and regret that I did. But now that I’m here I’ll give my 2c.

Of course the shooting was horrible. It was on both sides. No one on PC is calling for Cooley’s head.

I’m going to give Cox extra time to figure this out. I think he will. Some of the ideas on here have been good. Having JD run point for example. They also aren’t rocket science. He’ll figure it out.

We got nothing out of Christion or Harris, Fatts didn’t turn it around, and Jeff was mostly taken out of the game. If you told me that going into the game I would have thought we’d lose by 40.

On the bright side, I thought the effort and defense was actually good. Cyril is blossoming into a bonafide star before our eyes. Martin took a couple baby steps forward. Fatts hasn’t given up on himself and I hope he doesn’t. I feel for the kid.

I frankly thought everyone here expected the team to struggle out of the gate and we’d give them time to develop, both players and coaches. Whelp, this is what that looks like.

I love this team. I’ve rooted for them for way too many crappy years to give up this early. This is going to be a couple year process. These are great kids, and I believe Cox is a great man and I’m proud he’s our coach. They deserve fans who support them through ups and downs. That’s what a program looks like.
18 x
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

so... sitting at Dunk I was ready to flame on this board. Giving myself a couple hours I don't know if flaming makes sense, as this game was always a loss when looking through the season. I knew going in this was a .500 season at my most optimistic and we were going to have ugly games.
After sitting through the start of this season I would love to ask a couple questions on the coaches radio show:

Why did you switch a nationally recognized point guard out of that role?

What are you going to do with a streaky shooter who was always a streaky shooter to help him relax, and understand the game better, particularly shot selection?

What are you going to do to improve your bench coaching, as the use of random seeming TO after URI makes a decent play among other choices that seem random? Also as much as Dan was a show, it was hard to see your passion during one of our largest OOC games of the year.

I am sure later this week I will become an excellent cheap seat coach and provide my advice to cox, but I would love to see these questions asked.

As always Go Rhody!
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The freshmen are going to be fine. It's going to take some time.

Things are in their head right now. Keep up the effort and the D, and the shots will have to start falling at some point.

However again, Dowtin needs to run the point most of the time. His talent is being wasted as a 2 guard.

Besides the freshman needing more experience, it's hard when you really don't have much holdover help, besides Cyril, Jeff, and CT.....and of course Fatts being out to lunch doesn't help at all. His trying to do too much has had a serious negative effect on this team.

This team definitely needs more quality depth at the PG position going forward though.
0 x
Rhody1992
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Rhody1992 »

Rhody15 wrote: 5 years ago Fatts breaks out with 25+, five 3's.

W.
Bump.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago New lineup has to be Dowtin, Thompson, Martin, Harris, Langevine.

Fatts, Tate, Preston, Silverio off bench.
I said this before the game today.
If the team is going to struggle this much I would increase the playing time for all of the freshmen.
Jeff and Cyril should play 30+ minutes. The other 6 should share the 140 minutes based on performance and development.
The freshmen should get more minutes than Fatts and Thompson.
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

Middle of the second half when we made a little run, Martin had an open 3 that would’ve brought us to within 4. If he hits that, completely different game. The pressure shifts and we gain some confidence. I don’t bring that up to blame Martin but rather to show that this game wasn’t far off from a gritty comeback.

Fatts is in a slump but he’s still one of the best players on the team. I think coming off the bench may help him get out of it. He can come in fresh against a tired defense. I wonder if Tate can play the 3. This team still lacks an identity. Maybe it’s going big with Dowtin, CT (or Martin), Tate, Harris, Langevine.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

83, ding ding ding we have a winner!

The problem I see is that neither Jeff or Fatts is a 2 guard....so Cox lets the little guy run the point and the bigger player the 2.....not working folks.

Dowtin gets the point and Fatts gets the bench until he stops hurting the team.

Nowhere does it say that Fatts should get 30+ minutes just because he's a sophomore and the freshmen are freshmen.

Performance matters.

And going big makes a ton of sense 2006.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

RhodyKyle wrote: 5 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 5 years ago I will regret this post. But I am out on Cox. He’s letting a player run his team. Fatts and Dave Cox cost us this game.

Fatts has phenomenal potential. He is a mental wreck right now. Dave Cox let him decide this game. Dumb shots. Awful turnovers. Me first play looking for a number 1 jersey worthy effort.

Cox should’ve sat him 2 games ago. He didn’t.

This is an embarrassment. Cox is too passive to ever be an effective D1 coach. He’s an amazing person. Great family man. Solid bench coach and awesome recruiter.

But he is not a head coach. He doesn’t possess the stones to stand up to his own players and is letting his “number one” walk all over him to keep playing time up.

I’m sick and I hate everyone who ever doubted how dan Hurley coached this team. We deserved to offer him the contract that he was offered a year too late.

This fan base never deserved someone like Hurley and now we get to continue our march to irrelevance because we don’t have a fan base that cares. Can’t wait for 3 more years of Cox letting his players dictate playing time
And play calling.

We suck. We will forever suck. And I hate the world that I live in.

Go Rhody and I’ll forever be an empty shell of a person because I root for a team that can never be good.

This from the guy who lost his shit over the baron 2.0 thread? Didn't you chastise the guy who started that thread for overreacting to a PC loss? Is this Baron 3.0?
I’m too hammered to
Deal but sure I’ll play. That thread was wrong. You’re a morons but sure let’s dance. For as ducked up as I am my points make sense. They’ve always made sense. You’re an idiot if you’re comparing this year to rep years ago.
They overall idea is shut Hurley left and here e are. Enjoy the vasecmrnt. Tell me how this is worse than Hurley. Would love to hear a rational argument.

Fuck you.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Hopefully there is no truth to this.....does Cox think he owes Fatts major minutes because he decided to stay here and not bolt to UConn?

Otherwise why does a guy who can't hit a shot to save his life play so much?

Anyway, the more the freshmen play now, the better they will be down the road. They will be the focus of this team in a couple of years, if not sooner.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Jesus even drunk me is wilding our.

I will attempt to rehash.

The baron thread was wrong. Comparing Dan Hurley to Jim Baron was idiotic.

Now since all our moron fans didn’t want to donate snytjing and drove Hurley off to storrs welcome back to reality.

I was a Hurley fan boy or whatever, like a few others on here. Congrats on your award. We will never deserve to have a first class program because we have second class fans and third class donors.

This is what you get for never wanting to donate outside of your tickets. For never wanting anything more than just winning one game a year and for never showing up to the Ryan Center unless it was a big deal.

I’ll contour to show up at all our home games and away games because I’m me. I’m sure I’ll be called a fanboy or whatever and root for a lovable loser because there’s people who thought Hurley was garbage and never got behind him until a week after he left.

Thanks for the support. TRbanks forbhelping is to get to where we are now. Good work Lets enjoys the basement.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I can only assume cox thinks fatts needs the ball in his hands to play his best or break out if his slump..otherwise I have no idea what he is thinking. Jeff is one of the best PGs in the country and there is no excuse for him not being the the primary ball handler.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 5 years ago I will regret this post. But I am out on Cox. He’s letting a player run his team. Fatts and Dave Cox cost us this game.

Fatts has phenomenal potential. He is a mental wreck right now. Dave Cox let him decide this game. Dumb shots. Awful turnovers. Me first play looking for a number 1 jersey worthy effort.

This is an embarrassment. Cox is too passive to ever be an effective D1 coach. He’s an amazing person. Great family man. Solid bench coach and awesome recruiter.

But he is not a head coach. He doesn’t possess the stones to stand up to his own players and is letting his “number one” walk all over him to keep playing time up.

I’m sick and I hate everyone who ever doubted how dan Hurley coached this team. We deserved to offer him the contract that he was offered a year too late.

This fan base never deserved someone like Hurley and now we get to continue our march to irrelevance because we don’t have a fan base that cares. Can’t wait for 3 more years of Cox letting his players dictate playing time
And play calling.

Go Rhody and I’ll forever be an empty shell of a person because I root for a team that can never be good.
Oh, we know it was a shit show tonight. But Hurley two years ago was shit show as well before the unbelievable, fairytale run. Don't kid yourself. The fanbase wants to win.
Totally different.

Was that a fairy tale run or a typical season playing out?

This year would be a fairly tale run. The last to year were playing out exactly as expected.
This fan base barely exists. It’s be great if they wanted to win. I’ll believe it when i see it. I’ll belibe it when NCAA money gets invested in a practice facility. I’ll belive it when we invest in anything comparable to a first rate D1 program.

We don’t. We havent. And I’ll continue to throw thousands of dollars down the drain every year hoping that we will do ANYTHING different to buck that trend.

What an awful day, month, and year to be a ram.

Thank God we had enough fans to doubt Hurley and not want to donate to push this program forward. Congrats on your efforts. Enjoy what you’ve worked for.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

RIFan wrote: 5 years ago I can only assume cox thinks fatts needs the ball in his hands to play his best or break out if his slump..otherwise I have no idea what he is thinking. But Jeff is one of the best PGs in the country and there is no excuse for him not Being the the primary ball handler.

Yeah I am sure that must have been the thought. I would be curious to see how effective Fatts would be working off the ball. His speed could drive defenders nuts chasing him around the court, potentially leading to easy buckets off cuts to get him some confidence back?
0 x
Clapton is God
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

And play calling.

Who hijacked Blue Man's account?
4 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

we could/should be 6-0

just a thought
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

RhodyRam86 wrote: 5 years ago

And play calling.

Who hijacked Blue Man's account?
A very drunk me. Wait 24 hours for optimism and fun sbit
6 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I like what Cox said in the presser. The staff has to sit down and evaluate everything and that anything is on the table.
Cyril was the only player who had a good game today. Jeff was 5-14 and 0-4. He also disappeared offensively in the first half.
I would say that every player other than Cyril and Jeff has played below reasonable expectations so far this year.
Rhody has played four real D1 games and scored in the 50s in three of them.
If I was Cox, I would sit with Jeff first. It could be that Jeff’s style and personality don’t fit the SG position. If that is the conclusion, I move Jeff back to PG immediately.
I am disappointed with Thompson’s offense.
I believe this is probably a 15-15 and 14-16 team. I would start playing the freshmen more and Thompson less.
The biggest challenge for Cox is what to do with Fatts. He clearly needs to sit. How much Cox changes his role could determine if Fatts ever is a significant player at URI. Does he become a role player like Jarvis was for his Jr & Sr year after Jeff took the starting PG spot? Or does he work Fatts back into a starting role in 5-6 games?
Fatts is now missing layups. Some of it is mental but he is also putting significant spin on every shot. He was taking his FT without a knee bend (leg injury).
When Cox says look at everything I hope that includes their in season strength training (everyone is shooting poorly), practice routine and the players’ time outside of practice (rest/sleep habits & eating habits). They did change their in season strength training this year.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Time to give all four freshmen more playing time. Give Omar time at SG. Give Harris a lot of minutes when he isn’t in foul trouble (he is a key part of the future). He sat almost the entire second half vs SBrook. Let Martin and Tate split time at the 3.
Assuming 34 minutes per game for Jeff & Cyril, I allocate the rest of the minutes
Harris 28 mins
Martin 25 mins
Tate 25 mins
Omar 20 mins
Fatts 17 mins
Thompson 12 mins
Preston 5 mins
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Blue Man wrote: 5 years ago

And play calling.

This from the guy who lost his shit over the baron 2.0 thread? Didn't you chastise the guy who started that thread for overreacting to a PC loss? Is this Baron 3.0?
I’m too hammered to
Deal but sure I’ll play. That thread was wrong. You’re a morons but sure let’s dance. For as ducked up as I am my points make sense. They’ve always made sense. You’re an idiot if you’re comparing this year to rep years ago.
They overall idea is shut Hurley left and here e are. Enjoy the vasecmrnt. Tell me how this is worse than Hurley. Would love to hear a rational argument.

Fuck you.

Seriously? You sanctimonious asshole. Because it isn't hurls you abandon ship this early? I was hoping you'd be the voice of reason but I was wrong.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

I think the truth is all of us wanted Cox to get the job because we thought Fatts and the freshman would leave. Everyone can say he earned getting job which he may have, but bottom line is we weren't sure if he could coach at all. We liked him as a recruiter and a great guy, but we're scared of the fallout if these players left. Cox needs to put the hammer down or the Ryan center will be empty on the cold winter nights against garbage teams from the A-10
3 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Hurley was leaving for UCONN regardless - one of his dream jobs, they could always offer more $, large fan base, practice facility, tradition/4 national championships etc.
3 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I just can’t believe that none of the freshman are ready...considering how highly regarded they were, you would think 2-3 would be real contributors. 1-2 would be expected to be real contributors out of any years 4 man class never mind one with this much hype. I have also said it before and agree with others that Cox was a great “good cop” and has not been able to make the transition to the boss role. I think the players like him but don’t have a healthy fear of him.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

We shoot average and we win, PC is obviously rebuilding as well and our defense was great. I'm okay with Cox, still not enough to judge him on. Shooting will come around I suppose. Our bigs are good, Cyril is going for All conference right now and Harris will be even better when he learns not to foul. I like some things and didn't like a lot. Probably the worst URI PC game in a while, refs killed all momentum. We HAVE to look at this season as a building season. Martin is beginning to impress me as well and Tate is making improvements. Honestly, I saw improvements in many ways but Fatts needs to think straight. He's talented and already proved he isn't Mike Powell II. We should all have the kids back and trust this team to make strides by the end of this season. Believe in these words "Trust the process".
0 x
GO RAMS
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Blue Man wrote: 5 years ago

I’m too hammered to

Fuck you.

Seriously? You sanctimonious asshole. Because it isn't hurls you abandon ship this early? I was hoping you'd be the voice of reason but I was wrong.
I don’t think I’ve ever been called sanctiomounioid so thank you? Reason will come tomorrow. I’ve been drinking for 10 hours today and I got my phone I figured Tony of me. Tough to deal with that.

I’ve never abandoned shop. Never will. Still here. I’ll get the optimism going tomorrow. Tonight is dark as satans asshole. Deal with it and let’s come back firing when we rape West Virginia. I’m still a human do I have emotions. Today is hard. I have a family of PC fans. I lost several hundred dollars in bets. Let me breathe before you lol for optimism.
3 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody1992
Marc Upshaw

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago We shoot average and we win, PC is obviously rebuilding as well and our defense was great.
Did we watch the same game?

Both defenses were good? You can’t just say that we would of won the game if we hit shots because our defense was good...

Maybe we didn’t hit shots because their defense was good too. I swear, it’s always so hypocritical on here.

Alpha Diallo was held to 5 points, because of our defense; maybe? But maybe he just was off and missed some. PC was flat out the better team in a game where BOTH teams couldn’t get their offenses going. If he came anywhere close to his 19ppg, PC blows us out.

And if both teams did play good offensively, PC still wins that game. They are a better, deeper team right now. Can’t expect 8 bench points (all from Martin) to win you a game. Pathetic.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Rhody1992 wrote: 5 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago We shoot average and we win, PC is obviously rebuilding as well and our defense was great.

Both defenses were good? You can’t just say that we would of won the game if we hit shots because our defense was good...

Maybe we didn’t hit shots because their defense was good too. I swear, it’s always so hypocritical on here.

Alpha Diallo was held to 5 points, because of our defense; maybe? But maybe he just was off and missed some. PC was flat out the better team in a game where BOTH teams couldn’t get their offenses going. If he came anywhere close to his 19ppg, PC blows us out.

And if both teams did play good offensively, PC still wins that game. They are a better, deeper team right now. Can’t expect 8 bench points (all from Martin) to win you a game. Pathetic.
We shoot 29% FG 11% from three and 53% from the line (missing 12 free throws) and Harris on the bench for most of the game (14 min of play) and outscored them in the second half so yes we very well would have won and I did see the same game in which they had very makeable shots including missed layups..so yes having an average offensive game would have added at LEAST 9 points.. defensively URI forced 14 turnovers holding them to roughly 15 points below their season average @ home. I'm as pissed as the next guy but this was a game URI lost for themselves.
Last edited by Rhodymob05 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
GO RAMS
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

PC shot 19 percent (4 of 21) in the second half and made no field goals over the final 7:37. They scored 20 points. You don't think the URI defense deserves credit for that?
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I don’t agree with the bench points comments. Rhody’s starting five AVERAGED 30 minutes today. The starters combined stats -
FG 14-46
3PT 2-14
FT 13-26
Ast 5
TO 9

Rhody bench played 48 minutes - 8 points, 11 Rebs, FG 3-11, 3PT 1-4, FT 1-2, Ast 2, TO 0

PC bench played 78 minutes and has experience coming off the bench in 2 Jr & 1 Soph that see significant minutes.
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

random thoughts:

1) I've been calling for fatts to come off the bench since the SB game. he is seriously hurting the team right now. when he goes 1-6 from the line you know he is in his own head. when a batter is slumping a manager moves him down in the order. it doesn't have to be permanent, but a change needs to be made.

2) I wonder if fatt's was reprimanded after taking the reigns at the end of the Harvard game? if not, shame on coach cox. to me, the ideal punishment would have been for fatts to be on the bench for a period of time to start the SB game. I know blue man was probably a tad bit inebriated and a little emotional, but I don't think he is wrong in his belief that the coach seems to be a bit passive and is letting the inmates run the asylum.

3) Some here have pondered whether or not certain promises were made to fatt's to keep him from transferring...I'm on that bandwagon. perhaps one of those promises was that he could have the pg position.

4) I would start martin. has he done anything to earn it? no...not necessarily. I just think he is going to be a player. he hasn't had a lot of success outside of a few scores tonight, but I like the way he steps into his shots with confidence and shows aggressiveness on defense. we need a change. why not give him a shot. and then maybe fatts is the spark plug you need coming off the bench.

5) too bad harris got into foul trouble. he once again showed nice touch on his one made basket. still showing signs of improvement, but that 4th foul above the 3 pt line was a bad mistake.

6) others have mentioned martin's missed 3 that would have cut the score to 4. that could have been a game changer. it happened right as the uri contingent was making themselves heard.

7) I was surprised by the lack of passion inside the dunk. it was not nearly the hostile atmosphere I anticipated. PC blocked a number of shots that would have sent the RC into a prolonged delirium had uri blocked those shots at home.
1 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago We shoot average and we win, PC is obviously rebuilding as well and our defense was great. I'm okay with Cox, still not enough to judge him on. Shooting will come around I suppose. Our bigs are good, Cyril is going for All conference right now and Harris will be even better when he learns not to foul. I like some things and didn't like a lot. Probably the worst URI PC game in a while, refs killed all momentum. We HAVE to look at this season as a building season. Martin is beginning to impress me as well and Tate is making improvements. Honestly, I saw improvements in many ways but Fatts needs to think straight. He's talented and already proved he isn't Mike Powell II. We should all have the kids back and trust this team to make strides by the end of this season. Believe in these words "Trust the process".
they shoot average and they win by more.
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

What is “shooting average”? The abysmal numbers they have been putting up this year average, or what we shoot in a non twilight zone year? Either these players are just plain bad or the coach has no idea what he is doing.
Last edited by RIFan 5 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago

We shoot 29% FG 11% from three and 53% from the line (missing 12 free throws) and Harris on the bench for most of the game (14 min of play) and outscored them in the second half so yes we very well would have won and I did see the same game in which they had very makeable shots including missed layups..so yes having an average offensive game would have added at LEAST 9 points.. defensively URI forced 14 turnovers holding them to roughly 15 points below their season average @ home. I'm as pissed as the next guy but this was a game URI lost for themselves.
05 I like your optimism, but c'mon man. first off 11% from 3 is about average for us. secondly, with your rationale, we would win the national championship every year. you want don't want to give the other team credit at all? we shoot bad it's on us. they shoot bad, it's our defense. diallo had 5 points. if he has his average game we lose by 20.
1 x
Rhody1992
Marc Upshaw

SmartyBarrett wrote: 5 years ago

PC shot 19 percent (4 of 21) in the second half and made no field goals over the final 7:37. They scored 20 points. You don't think the URI defense deserves credit for that?
URI shot 20% (6 of 30) in the second half. They scored 23. You don’t think PC’s defense deserves credit for that? It was just poor shooting by URI, not good defense by PC? Like I said, so hypocritical. It’s okay to call it the right way and take the Keaney blinders off for once.
0 x
Rhody1992
Marc Upshaw

05 I like your optimism, but c'mon man. first off 11% from 3 is about average for us. secondly, with your rationale, we would win the national championship every year. you want don't want to give the other team credit at all? we shoot bad it's on us. they shoot bad, it's our defense. diallo had 5 points. if he has his average game we lose by 20.
Thank you. A rational fan.
1 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

05 I like your optimism, but c'mon man. first off 11% from 3 is about average for us. secondly, with your rationale, we would win the national championship every year. you want don't want to give the other team credit at all? we shoot bad it's on us. they shoot bad, it's our defense. was it our defense that held them to 60% (18-30 from the line)? diallo had 5 points. if he has his average game we lose by 20.
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 5 years ago

URI shot 20% (6 of 30) in the second half. They scored 23. You don’t think PC’s defense deserves credit for that? It was just poor shooting by URI, not good defense by PC? Like I said, so hypocritical. It’s okay to call it the right way and take the Keaney blinders off for once.
When did I say PC's defense wasn't good? I thought they were quite good. Both teams missed open shots but were bottled up by the other for the most part.
Last edited by SmartyBarrett 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Its average thus far, but cmon you can't say that this team isn't capable of shooting better, guys that are proven too like Dowtin. Missing 12 free throws? I don't care if this was Cameron, that's bad. I get it yes I'll give them credit for defense as well, but we missed how many layups and open shots?
0 x
GO RAMS
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Its average thus far, but cmon you can't say that this team isn't capable of shooting better, guys that are proven too like Dowtin. Missing 12 free throws? I don't care if this was Cameron, that's bad. I get it yes I'll give them credit for defense as well, but we missed how many layups and open shots?

yes...we missed shots....so did they. they had a 2 on none that turned into nothing. they missed 12 free throws. they missed a bunch of layups too. right now, 11% is about our norm for 3s. are they capable of shooting better? I guess, but it's been the norm, not the outlier, in 4 of our 6 games. they were the better team coming into the game and they were the better team in the game.
1 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

People need to relax for sure.

Blue Man you really are a dumb drunk. We are six games into D.C.'s head coaching experience and your dumping a steamer on him. Go to bed.
8 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

........read a lot, seen much, it’s obvious there is a lot to fix, find, clean up, back to drawing board, players need to play better, coaches need to coach better, freshmen need more playing time, they will come around, the jump to D1 takes time, make shots we win, make more free throws we get closer, we lost all those seniors, this loss is on me, we didn’t have them prepared, you get my drift here.....left the Dunk with 6 minutes to go.....something is missing bigly, I see at this point Martin gives not much, Tate the same, Fatts needs to coming off bench into a structured game plan not run thru him, we can’t live on Cyril alone, Jeff carrying to much load, CT needs more touches, Harris took one step back from the two/three ahead from Brown, I could go on, probably tomorrow, but for now, this is mess....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

RIFan wrote: 5 years ago I just can’t believe that none of the freshman are ready...considering how highly regarded they were, you would think 2-3 would be real contributors. 1-2 would be expected to be real contributors out of any years 4 man class never mind one with this much hype. I have also said it before and agree with others that Cox was a great “good cop” and has not been able to make the transition to the boss role. I think the players like him but don’t have a healthy fear of him.
........this......yep this
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I barely got to see it.

We still have to be in a wait and see stage right now.

I dont think anybody would've thought Fatts would struggle like this.

He may need to come off the bench. It's hard to say.

Remember he spent about an entire month cold last year.
He did nothing from the end of December till February.

Love the guy, we need him.

Cox is a smart guy and Fatts is a great athlete. They will figure it out.

Dave is probably going to have to limit his freedom big time.

The rest of the team is at least playing controlled, but hes a wild card out there.

I still think we competed well against the best team we've played this year.

We gotta keep fighting and keep supporting our guys.

GO RHODY
2 x
mstyles22
Kenny Green

Unread post by mstyles22 »

Almost everyone on here seems to be on the same page, so it’s troubling that the coaching staff isn’t. A few quick points...

Positives:

- The kids played hard today. That’s one thing we need to give them and the coaches credit for. Several times this game could have gone the way of a 25 point loss but it didn’t.
- The offense was RUN a lot better than in previous games but JFC this team couldn’t hit the water if they fell out of a fucking boat. I know they’re better than this and they sure as hell know they’re better than this. The better looks were there today.
- Saw some nice things out of Martin. He needs more minute.

Neutral:
- I think Harris is playing better but is he going to become Will Daniels 2.0? A talented, versitle player that just can’t seem to stop fouling?
- Fatts, bless his heart, was trying to facilitate early in the first half. Not forcing shots. Unfortunately that turned into forcing passes. More on him in a second.
- CL has really become a good player. But...

Negatives:
- How many 1 and 1 front ends did we miss? FTs killed us once again.
- This is not a great Providence team and they still outclassed us. My current expectations have us struggling to play .500 ball.
- This team is WAYYYY too careless with the ball. They regularly commit the type of turnovers where a coach on s good team immediately calls for a sub. Like 5 or 6 of those per game. Take care of the fucking ball guys.
- The o/u for CL in traffic turnovers (strongly contested shot, travel, shoulder down charge) remains at a dependable 5 per game.

Ok, so I hate to pile on Fatts so I’ll say this: They’re asking too much of him. He’s not a guy you want shooting it more than 10x/game. Nor is he the facilitator/run the offense thru guy (that’s JD). Fatts is best suited as the microwave, instant offense guy. The perfect high energy player to bring off the bench. Ironically, when he slumping like this he sucks the energy out of the rest of the team.

Coach Cox: Grow some balls and start Martin with Fatts off the bench. And the thinking shouldn’t be “well has Martin earned it?” The thinking should be, “this is a better roster and team with Fatts as the 6th man.”

Go Rhody
2 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

The situation will look so much better a year from now.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I also want to see Fatts coming off the bench with Tyrese starting

Cox needs to make changes
1 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

They played hard and didn't give up.

A work in progress after losing five of the top seven players. The defense if fine. CL and JD are fine.

I can't blame the offensive problems on Fatts alone. Players 3 thru 8 have never started as D1 players before. The offensive sets have been kept simple as a result, and easy to scout and defend.........Double and triple team Langavine, and smother Dowtin outside the three line.

The fix, Dowtin at point, more shots for him and Christion, limit Fatts to ten shots.
Fatts did not shoot well last year either [26%]. He looks at the rim late in his shooting motion. His main contribution now is as a defensive disrupter. He gets his steals and rebounds. He draws fouls. His 0.9 pps is low, but he draws fouls, and as he finds ways to get shots off, he will be fine.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Running Ram wrote: 5 years ago People need to relax for sure.

Blue Man you really are a dumb drunk. We are six games into D.C.'s head coaching experience and your dumping a steamer on him. Go to bed.
Completely fair. Was a rough night for everyone.

Still have confidence that Cox will be a good coach buy hr is going to have to learn to be a little more firm with his players.

Fatts is obviously talented but he needs to be coached. It just feels like Cox is letting him do whatever he wants with no consequences.

I don’t believe we are this team that we’ve shown ourselves to be, but we need our leaders to take leadership roles.

Jeff needs to take this team over and lead from the front, we can take it from there.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL