12/01 | @ Providence Friars | 5PM (FS1)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: 12/01 | @ Providence Friars | 5PM (FS1)

Unread post by ramster »

Section104 wrote: 5 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago
Section104 wrote: 5 years ago I made sure to screenshot prior to PC deleting the post. I asked our friends at Projo for their thoughts on the instagram post

LMK if any of the Projo guys reply. My guess is they won't. It's much easier to take shots at us.
Bill Koch, probably:
"Christion Thompson, below, appears motionless and unmotivated, likely a result of continued poor URI fan support on the road. Rhode Island never stood a chance in this one as they were blown away 63-60 in front of the energetic sold-out home crowd at the state of the art Dunkin Donuts Center. URI, who chose to take a bus to Providence instead of a chartered jet due to limited athletic resources, looked tired as they showed up for this one after a long day of travel. Dan Hurley, likely to leave for a larger conference at the end of the year, was justifiably upset as he entered into the professional locker room of it's big brother rival. This now makes it 8 years in a row that URI, part of the mid-major Atlantic 10, has failed to beat the states Flagship program out of the heralded Big East. The question has to be asked: why isn't this game played in Providence every year?"
Here it is RJ and Donuts90
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Yeah, it’s pretty indefensible. I’d also acknowledge that it’s a decision that one idiot probably made, so I wouldn’t use it as some sort of major indictment, although I know that’s what will happen. They should probably get that person away from the social media and into some sort of janitorial services.
5 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

The more I see that picture the more disturbed I get. It's been seen by enough people to warrant an apology, but that's above PC's mentality. Doesn't Advent start Sunday? Might be a good time for these folks to check themselves.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

RhodyRam86 wrote: 5 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 5 years ago This is a nice thing to rewatch from time to time.

that reminds me of when we used to make three pointers. :roll:
Funny because the kid making the most 3 pointers in this video is our 2 guard. We’ll be fine.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I think this will be a low scoring game. URI could win this on defense.
I know this will set off a fire storm but I would like to see the following group on the floor for a decent number of minutes
Jeff PG covering Duke
Thompson SG but covering Diallo
Martin SF covering Reeves
Harris PF covering Nichols/Jackson
Cyril C covering Young/Watson

I think we match up well defensively at all of those positions. Thompson might have a height issue with Diallo.
Fatts could be the offensive spark plug in spurts like he was in the PC game last year.
2 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

83, I’m buying what you are selling with that group of 5. Biggest issue is can CT, Tyrese and Jermaine be assertive enough on offensive end so as to not be playing 2 on 5. Defensively that 5 is probably our best foot forward.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I’m with ya 83 except I’d like Dowtin on Reeves who has been a more prolific scorer than Duke. I think it ends up Dowtin on Reeves and Fatts on Duke, Thompson on Diallo.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Spreading the word.... Keaney though.... Keaney.... smh
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 5 years ago I’m with ya 83 except I’d like Dowtin on Reeves who has been a more prolific scorer than Duke. I think it ends up Dowtin on Reeves and Fatts on Duke, Thompson on Diallo.
Duke is too quick for Martin, he’s overly reliant on his athleticism and isn’t a big threat from the outside. Reeves is catch and shoot guy, I’d stick with Dowtin on Duke.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago I’m with ya 83 except I’d like Dowtin on Reeves who has been a more prolific scorer than Duke. I think it ends up Dowtin on Reeves and Fatts on Duke, Thompson on Diallo.
Duke is too quick for Martin, he’s overly reliant on his athleticism and isn’t a big threat from the outside. Reeves is catch and shoot guy, I’d stick with Dowtin on Duke.
BAR,
I never said Martin on Duke, I would not go there with Martin on Duke and would not have Martin on Reeves or Diallo either - don't see him starting at this point vs PC - maybe next year's game - but it will be interesting to see the matchups once we get 5-8 minutes into the game .

BAR, Who then do you put on Reeves if it's not Dowtin as you would put Dowtin on Duke? Fatts? Thompson I assume has to take Diallo unless Dowtin takes Diallo.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Interesting how often SeanMacnamara is quoted with tweets in this article. And here he is back again under a new handle - love what the PC-URI game beings out

https://www.yurview.com/all-ball/pc-fri ... ans-speak/
2 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

ramster wrote: 5 years ago Interesting how often SeanMacnamara is quoted with tweets in this article. And here he is back again under a new handle - love what the PC-URI game beings out

This dude’s tweet is vomit.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Taylor Swift wrote: 5 years ago
ramster wrote: 5 years ago Interesting how often SeanMacnamara is quoted with tweets in this article. And here he is back again under a new handle - love what the PC-URI game beings out

Why even tweet that? Agree with you.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago

Why even tweet that? Agree with you.

Piece of trash.

Let the hate flow through you Rhody!

This is gonna be intense tomorrow.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

The funniest thing about that guy is that he is legitimately scandalized by URI students chanting “F- PC,” which is probably the most inflexibly puritanical and pearl-clutching position I’ve ever seen a sports fan take. To me, that’s the exact kind of thing that makes a rivalry fun - probably a little more edgy than what you’d see in your average game against George Washington or something, but way in bounds and not beyond any line that a reasonable person could care about.

Between that and him being utterly and insanely convinced that my joking about wanting to see misfortune happen to them in the form of a fender bender involving a 3 ton bus or some property damage was intended as some sort of blood thirsty threat to the PC student body, I just don’t think he’s mentally stable enough to be posting here. He should probably get off the internet altogether for a while and get some help based on his performance here and apparently on twitter, so hopefully he has someone in his life that cares about him that can nudge him in that direction.
4 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......Reynolds again today suggested this game be played twice a year, I don’t agree, use that slot for another OOC game with a major, once year with alternating sites keeps it very active rival.....No?
3 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

As long as there's a worse game on the schedule, and there probably always will be...I'd like home and home, two games, every year.

ETA: He also said "Carmelo Anthony’s star is dimming." Now, THAT's journalism.
Last edited by NYGFan_Section208 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago
BAR,
I never said Martin on Duke, I would not go there with Martin on Duke and would not have Martin on Reeves or Diallo either - don't see him starting at this point vs PC - maybe next year's game - but it will be interesting to see the matchups once we get 5-8 minutes into the game .

BAR, Who then do you put on Reeves if it's not Dowtin as you would put Dowtin on Duke? Fatts? Thompson I assume has to take Diallo unless Dowtin takes Diallo.
Reeves doesn’t drive to the hoop much. He is 6’6”. I know Martin isn’t going to start and he probably will not play much. Cox will most likely give he experienced players and Harris the bulk of the time. Ryan Preston will probably be the first guy off the bench. I see the starters logging major minutes.

Think of this defensively though
Fatts 5’10 on Duke 6’5”
Jeff 6’3” on Reeves 6’6”
Thompson 6’4” on Diallo 6’7”
Harris 6’8” on Nichols 6’8”
Cyril 6’8” on Waton 6’10”

I know Harris is at least an inch taller than Cyril. So Cyril is probably 6’7”.
We have a rebounding issue.

This could be a tough game for Cyril offensively with both Watson and Young being bigger than him.
I am hoping he doesn’t get in foul trouble.
Last year vs PC was only Cyril’s second game back after missing three games. He only played 8 minutes (0-4 & 3 fouls).
Watson was 4-4 with 10 points, 4 rebs, 2 blocks in 19 minutes. He looked like a monster in that game.
0 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

I know this is a winnable game but everything has to go by the numbers for it to happen. I worry about our backcourt not hitting shots, PC packing in a zone and challenging us to beat them from outside. Reeves going off at 30, duke manhandling Fatts and PCs size and length inside neutralizing Cyril and Harris. That being said if Dowtin and Fatts can hit from the outside we can beat them. Our backcourt can’t go 2 for the game on 3’s if we are going to win this game on their home Court!
Their freshmen are a step ahead of ours in their
Development at this point. We need to catch up today!! Go Rhody Bring the HATE!!!!
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 5 years ago Yeah, it’s pretty indefensible. I’d also acknowledge that it’s a decision that one idiot probably made, so I wouldn’t use it as some sort of major indictment, although I know that’s what will happen. They should probably get that person away from the social media and into some sort of janitorial services.
So nobody there reviews anything before it gets posted? That's hard to believe of an institution that so jealously protects its reputation. Or maybe someone did approve it?

BTW, my firm handles social media for several of our public-relations clients, and none of them will allow anything to go live without reviewing it.
2 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Fatts is one of the best on-ball defender I've seen in a while and forced a load of turnovers last year vs PC but once you get into the set and hes hit by screens its more difficult for him. Otherwise, all I have to say is that if we dont shoot well, forgetaboutit. GO RAMS
Last edited by Rhodymob05 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
GO RAMS
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 5 years ago
rjsuperfly66 wrote: 5 years ago Yeah, it’s pretty indefensible. I’d also acknowledge that it’s a decision that one idiot probably made, so I wouldn’t use it as some sort of major indictment, although I know that’s what will happen. They should probably get that person away from the social media and into some sort of janitorial services.
So nobody there reviews anything before it gets posted? That's hard to believe of an institution that so jealously protects its reputation. Or maybe someone did approve it?

BTW, my firm handles social media for several of our public-relations clients, and none of them will allow anything to go live without reviewing it.
It's the same handle that posts ton of live content on game day, etc.
I'm sure there is one person managing that page for the the basketball program.
I can't imagine that there is someone sitting on the floor of the Dunk, taking videos, and then sending them to someone else to get approval, and then posting them.
Further, didn't T Swift confirm that?
Taylor Swift wrote: 5 years ago She dials up PC Athletics and they immediately put her on the phone with the individual who is involved with their social media content, he was completely unaware of the severity of posting an image like this. Apologized, and the post was deleted within a minute.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Go to Jermaine Harris, first play of the game.
8 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

I have a bad feeling about this one. I loved that Cyril and Jermaine had big games vs Brown, but Brown had nothing inside. PC has some size and if either of our starting bigs gets in foul trouble the flood gates could open up. I'm also concerned if the freshmen can really prepare themselves for the environment/atmosphere of this game. I'm sure it's been talked about but playing in it is a whole different thing. Fatts thrived on it last year- maybe these guys can do the same. I'll be there up in the nose bleeds with my kid.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

The Friartown hate in this thread has exceeded my wildest expectations!

The game looks like a mismatch to me sadly but if suddenly we hit shots we've made regularly before who knows?

Go Rhody!

( The only thing about PC I actually hate is hoops btw)
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Do we see Tertsea today if fouls become prevalent? Also, to those PC fans that make fun of URI academics/school in general, have you been to Kingston recently? Laughable comments on their end, plain ignorance.
2 x
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago Do we see Tertsea today if fouls become prevalent? Also, to those PC fans that make fun of URI academics/school in general, have you been to Kingston recently? Laughable comments on their end, plain ignorance.
No I don’t think we see Tertsea. Foul trouble would mean more playing time for Tate and Martin.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

hrstrat57 wrote: 5 years ago The Friartown hate in this thread has exceeded my wildest expectations!

The game looks like a mismatch to me sadly but if suddenly we hit shots we've made regularly before who knows?

Go Rhody!

( The only thing about PC I actually hate is hoops btw)
PC has lost 5 of 7 games this year versus the point spread - so underachieving
They beat a weak FDU team by only 10 points
They start 3 freshmen who have been sporadic as freshmen can and will be
I see a win today!
Can’t wait for tip off
2 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

On my way ... let’s goooooooooo
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Ryan Preston sees more playing time if Cyril or Harris get in foul trouble.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 5 years ago

It's the same handle that posts ton of live content on game day, etc.
I'm sure there is one person managing that page for the the basketball program.
I can't imagine that there is someone sitting on the floor of the Dunk, taking videos, and then sending them to someone else to get approval, and then posting them.
Further, didn't T Swift confirm that?
Taylor Swift wrote: 5 years ago She dials up PC Athletics and they immediately put her on the phone with the individual who is involved with their social media content, he was completely unaware of the severity of posting an image like this. Apologized, and the post was deleted within a minute.
It was more of an "oh I didn't realize it was bad" tone. Meaning unaware of the severity, unfortunately.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Rhodyram wrote: 5 years ago I'm also concerned if the freshmen can really prepare themselves for the environment/atmosphere of this game. I'm sure it's been talked about but playing in it is a whole different thing.
This is probably my biggest concern as well. I know we played one road game at Charleston already, but this is a whole different beast. I wish I had a better feeling about it.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

adam914 wrote: 5 years ago
Rhodyram wrote: 5 years ago I'm also concerned if the freshmen can really prepare themselves for the environment/atmosphere of this game. I'm sure it's been talked about but playing in it is a whole different thing.
This is probably my biggest concern as well. I know we played one road game at Charleston already, but this is a whole different beast. I wish I had a better feeling about it.
Oh absolutely! Charleston was like playing in a DIII gym because when I was watching 99% of their fan base in attendance were practically sitting on their hands the entire game. Not the case in Providence today, going to be a zoo.
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Oh absolutely! Charleston was like playing in a DIII gym because when I was watching 99% of their fan base in attendance were practically sitting on their hands the entire game. Not the case in Providence today, going to be a zoo.
True that. Nothing can prepare you for playing in front of thousands of drunk, profane, spoiled Fryuh Faih-weatha Faithful.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

True that. Nothing can prepare you for playing in front of thousands of drunk, profane, spoiled Fryuh Faih-weatha Faithful.

Can only imagine how many folks wearing black and white are already lit right now at Murphy's.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

It’ll be a wild environment for sure. But it isn’t universally intimidating. Some guys thrive off it. I wouldn’t say I’m “nervous” about it as much as I am curious to see how guys respond. It’s definitely an open question and it’s very doubtful everyone responds the way you’d hope. But you need probably two guys to have it push them to another level, and another 3-5 guys who don’t completely melt.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

With any luck this high intensity environment wakes up our top guards and they play like they did in the NCAA tournament last year and other high leverage games.
4 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago It’ll be a wild environment for sure. But it isn’t universally intimidating. Some guys thrive off it. I wouldn’t say I’m “nervous” about it as much as I am curious to see how guys respond. It’s definitely an open question and it’s very doubtful everyone responds the way you’d hope. But you need probably two guys to have it push them to another level, and another 3-5 guys who don’t completely melt.
True- not intimidating at all. The Dunk smells like a public restroom anyway. Fryuh Fanz will spend most of their time heckling Rhody Fans. Not paying attention to the game all while sitting there saying "I am bettah than yoo becuz I root faw da Fryhaz"
2 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Was checking out a few places online b4 heading up and saw Murphy’s opened at 9 this morning 😮

Can only imagine how many folks wearing black and white are already lit right now at Murphy's.
Was checking out a few places online b4 heading up and saw Murphy’s opened at 9 this morning 😮
2 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Rhodyram wrote: 5 years ago

The Pee Cee students have some dive bar called "Chad's" how apropos. "Brad & Chad"
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

:mrgreen: TS bringing it in this thread

Most Valuable Poster

:mrgreen:
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

hrstrat57 wrote: 5 years ago :mrgreen: TS bringing it in this thread

Most Valuable Poster

Haha! Thank you! I get so agitated by their fan base, plus its low-hanging fruit to bust on Providence and Pee Cee. Can't help myself. :mrgreen: :twisted:
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

hrstrat57 wrote: 5 years ago :mrgreen: TS bringing it in this thread

Most Valuable Poster

Haha! Thank you! I get so agitated by their fan base, plus its low-hanging fruit to bust on Providence and Pee Cee. Can't help myself. :mrgreen: :twisted:
I agree! MVP. We need to win this one for Taylor! :) :) :)
2 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

I love the love here.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I, unfortunately, will be fraying away from the anti-providence banter since my family and I are all from the area and love the city (minus Elorza), BUT screw PC. GO RAMS!
2 x
GO RAMS
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

GoRhody! Beat PC!
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

section(105) wrote: 5 years ago ......Reynolds again today suggested this game be played twice a year, I don’t agree, use that slot for another OOC game with a major, once year with alternating sites keeps it very active rival.....No?

Reynolds trots this suggestion out every year in early December. The days of playing one another twice are long gone. I am ok with that as long there is one meeting each season that rotates home and home every other year between Kingston and Providence.
3 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

I really hate Pee-C.

For those of you new to this board.
3 x